Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I just wrote my first app review that was longer than one sentence. And let me say this: Writing Play Store reviews suuuuuccks. No paragraph or line breaks means that my nicely formatted 500 word review is just one huge blob of text once submitted.

This is my review of Play Store reviewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

BabyFur Denny posted:

People wanting cheap to non existent delivery fees and then complaining about cheap to non existent delivery service will never not be funny to me

Except some carriers manage to do it just fine.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Name one.

UPS is just as poo poo in some areas. (I've got accounts with both FedEx and UPS, and both have their issues in my area, but my discounts are much bigger with FedEx, so they get most of my business)
DHL barely exists in the US, and I've had all sorts of duty/VAT issues with them in the past.
Every LTL carrier I've used is staffed by smooth-brains and driven by wackos.
USPS only applies for small packages and Flat-Rate, and is only competitive domestically.

I have had almost zero problems with any of them. So, it's definitely possible.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

sharkytm posted:

It's all about your location.

I live in a summer tourist destination and there's a huge difference in delivery quality between the on and off seasons. Luckily, I know both my UPS and FedEx Express drivers and they take good care of me. If they're out for some reason, it's a crap shoot. Ditto with FedEx ground. They don't have regular drivers, so who knows what you get. DHL, lol.

Yeah, I get this. My point was that it's obviously not impossible to deliver good service at the prices they charge, thus it's not stupid to complain about the service they deliver.

Also...it sounds like you are getting service that is not "cheap to non-existent", no?

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 21, 2020

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm pretty sure Amazon's taken that crown away.

My P4XL was supposed to be here today and "guaranteed" but now it's coming in mid-May just because I put money in the e-gift card thing. The response I got was basically "But the virus is still out there so packages are delayed"...yes, but that has nothing to do with an electronic gift card fund. Yet, you can buy any Amazon Basics item and they'll ship it to you immediately. Anything not Amazon Basics can take up to a month or more. They're still pushing the essential line...which just means they're not shipping masks, rubbing alcohol, or sanitizer to non-hospitals.

I've had 3 friends cancel Amazon Prime since it's kind of worthless at the moment.

Meanwhile, the smartwatch I got from FedEx was delivered late. My roommate ordered the same watch, got it the day he was supposed to from FedEx...but FedEx gave my watch to deliver to USPS to deliver instead of just delivering both boxes at the same time on the same day to the same residence.

I think shipping is broken everywhere. Understandably so but still frustrating especially in some cases.

How fast they can ship something to you right now (well I guess always!) depends on multiple factors. I know a lot of product categories right now I can switch between multiple competing products and get shipping times from a few days to a few weeks.

I get 2-6 shipments a week from Amazon and still don't really have much of a problem getting fast shipping, I just have to watch what I select.

I imagine they just keep Basics items in more locations. I wouldn't necessarily say they're pushing Basics items over masks, etc, it's just that they don't have those things close to you.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there a good guide to wiping my phone and putting the stock OS on? I want to back up data in various apps rather than start them from scratch again.

Which phone?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

henpod posted:

Hey guys,

What do you think about the Mi9T?

I'm coming from an S7 Edge as it's starting to feel a little old, and i'm a sucker for no-bezel phones. This seems to be a top pick for the midrange budget (which is me) and just wanted to reassure that even though this phone is nearly a year old, it still has the chops?

I know that's really subjective based on what you need it for, but for me its just general use. I am not a power-user, gamer or anything. Just want a fast phone with a nice screen, headphone jack and a good battery - and this one seems to be really good. Tried one out at the store and it seemed snappy and fast.

Has anyone else bought this phone in the last few months? Is it likely to be reasonably 'future-proof'? There's always going to be a new phone coming out, but just want to see if this is the right choice :)

I doubt many people here have much experience with that phone as the thread feels fairly focused on North America.

Mostly, for a mid range phone, the Pixel 3a (or probably the shortly to be released Pixel 4a) is what is recommended here.

I can't say anything about the Mi9T, other than it has better specs than the Pixel from what I can see. I would bet a decent amount of money that the Pixel will take much better photos, feel just as fast in most usage, and receive support and software updates longer.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The Buds, if they work as advertised (lol), look like they would be my favorite except for the price.

I loving hate having to fiddle with anything, when stuff doesn't work correctly the first try every time, and when things should obviously work one way but they don't. If they pair instantly, Google Assistant works flawlessly, and all the other "gimmicks" that aren't really gimmicks but are actual quality of life improvements, then they seem great.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vagrancy posted:

As an actual buyer/user of the 1st Gen, the issue is 100% with Google's non-existent positioning.

It should front and center be marketed as a discrete category of Assistant device alongside the speakers, smart displays, clocks etc - least of all because that's literally what they are and how they're implemented in Google Settings/Assistant.

The Spoken Notifications functionality (auto-read of certain notification types, audio summary and read out of new notfications), low latency Assistant mic and hotwording should be the main messaging, not buried randomly.

"Google Pixel branded version of the wireless earbuds concept you've already seen for months now" pitch they've gone with while technically true, doesn't really capture the actual experience of usage of the product which is "Wearable Google Home/Nest Speaker".

Purely from a wireless headphone value stand point, Liberty/Samsungs etc are better value due to battery life. From the Assistant device standpoint, they're 100% worse (no audio Notification functionality + bluetooth voice activation/response is terrible compared to built-in Assistant headphones like the Pixel buds). The loss wasn't as painful as the trials and tribulations of dealing with the Pixel buds 1 case + cord, which is ultimately why I switched away. I'll be switching right back to Pixel Buds 2 whenever Google's supply chain is able to target outside the US (given they've only managed 1/4 of their planned models, will take a while).

I guess the lesson here is don't try Google Assistant built-in headphones, you might like them and then you're locked into being Google'd.

As someone who's read all the info about these...I 100% agree.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vagrancy posted:

As an actual buyer/user of the 1st Gen, the issue is 100% with Google's non-existent positioning.

It should front and center be marketed as a discrete category of Assistant device alongside the speakers, smart displays, clocks etc - least of all because that's literally what they are and how they're implemented in Google Settings/Assistant.

The Spoken Notifications functionality (auto-read of certain notification types, audio summary and read out of new notfications), low latency Assistant mic and hotwording should be the main messaging, not buried randomly.

"Google Pixel branded version of the wireless earbuds concept you've already seen for months now" pitch they've gone with while technically true, doesn't really capture the actual experience of usage of the product which is "Wearable Google Home/Nest Speaker".

Purely from a wireless headphone value stand point, Liberty/Samsungs etc are better value due to battery life. From the Assistant device standpoint, they're 100% worse (no audio Notification functionality + bluetooth voice activation/response is terrible compared to built-in Assistant headphones like the Pixel buds). The loss wasn't as painful as the trials and tribulations of dealing with the Pixel buds 1 case + cord, which is ultimately why I switched away. I'll be switching right back to Pixel Buds 2 whenever Google's supply chain is able to target outside the US (given they've only managed 1/4 of their planned models, will take a while).

I guess the lesson here is don't try Google Assistant built-in headphones, you might like them and then you're locked into being Google'd.

The person doing the video review of these for the verge agrees with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMKgWMO3fu8

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

If I have to listen to music for more than an hour or so I get cranky and I can only listen to podcasts when I'm driving and can devote the proper amount of attention.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Yeah, people wearing headphones in a car should be arrested.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

docbeard posted:

Is there any particularly compelling reason to wait for the 4a's release rather than buying a 3a right now? Like, are there any particularly compelling updates on the immediate horizon or is it looking like pretty much the same phone?

Even if it was the same phone it'd be worth waiting for the extra year of support you'd get from the 4a.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've been doing research for a while now and I don't know if this exists but we'll see...

Does anyone know of a good, stable tripod that can hold a Pixel 4 XL in a case?

I've looked all night and the only ones I found either are cheaply made but cost $30+ (Joby) or are a noname brand and are unstable and fall over (mostly not Joby) or look cool...and don't actually hold a phone without breaking the tripod or the screen of the phone because it rests against a screw (????

Thanks.

Over the years I've used multiple versions of the spring loaded clamp thingies that mount to any tripod. Never been the least bit concerned with their ability to hold the phone or even tablet sometimes.

I can't really recommend any particular brand as I've never cared about the brand. Every one I've used has been about the same.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

hooah posted:

Is there a Google devices thread? I've got a question about my Home.

The closest thing is probably the Home Automation thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BabyFur Denny posted:

The galaxy fingerprint scanner works fine if you put the fingerprint app into the "never put to sleep" category in battery optimization.

I don't think that moves it to the back of the phone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Every time I've released (or worked on a project that released) a public beta it's been never ending tears from people enraged that there's a bug.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

I loved that app. haha

I didn't!

Android was so much harder to work with back in those days.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Buff Hardback posted:

The Oneplus 8 Pro is still really tempting but man those screen issues scare me.

The report of Osterloh being disappointed in Pixel 4 battery and the camera lead leaving back in March make me nervous for the future of Pixel devices, and that uncertainty makes me feel really weird about Android devices in general.

I've always been relatively anti OP but the 8P is tempting, but there's just so many little quality of life things that Pixels have that OP doesn't have (caller ID by Google, voicemail transcription) that I'd miss if I got a 8P.

Another part of me also wants to say screw it and give iPhone another try with the 11 Pro or the 12 Pro whenever that comes out.

This hand-wringing I'm seeing everywhere over the future of Pixel by consumers is just weird. It's not like you're working at Google making Serious Business decisions about the future of Pixel devices. Whether Pixel devices continue to be good or not has literally zero bearing on you. Just...get what's good when you're in the market for a phone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

presumably people who bought and enjoy pixel devices believe they provide something other manufacturers don't, and reduced competition in a segment of the market they're interested in would be a negative for them.

right, but worrying about something you don't have any control over is just not healthy.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

If that's right and it's even just a minor upgrade to the 3a, that's fuckin' stellar. I'll be laughing all the way to the bank at you flagship buyers!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

TTBF posted:

What's a good midrange phone available on Verizon in the states and which isn't gigantic? I'm moving on from an LG V30 which I like fine, although its GPS is very wonky and the battery does not last as long as I'd like.

I would prefer something small that could be operated in one hand as I don't watch video much on it and am usually just browsing the web, listening to music or playing a game on it.

The Pixel 4a might be perfect for that. It's rumored to be released in a week or two.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Make a mask out of fish net, I bet that'll work.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hah!

(I guess I should clarify for that one dude who stumbles across my post...it's a joke!)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Active Edge works well on my 3a in a case....once I figured you have to squeeze up closer to the volume buttons.

I think we can conclude from all these anecdotes that Active Edge either works well or doesn't work well for specific people and on average it either works well or doesn't work well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Buff Hardback posted:

I really think that this could potentially torpedo the Pixel line.

If 5 gets delayed it could very potentially be competing against the S21, with a midrange processor that was announced a year ago (sept 2019).

They really need to shift pixels to launching with Snapdragon, instead of launching just before that processor is obsoleted.

If the pricing rumors are true they're not trying to compete against the S21 anyway.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

surf rock posted:

I feel like it's really hard to compare phones in a meaningful way. I've got an original Pixel that I got in November 2016, and I know it's coming to the end of its lifespan in two respects: (1) the software no longer getting updates and (2) the battery no longer lasting like it used to. Obviously, I know that if I get a Pixel 4 (or 3a, or wait for a 4a or 5), both of those problems are going to be solved for a few years.

But, I don't know how to compare differences in build quality, camera quality, processing speed... let alone if I compare my phone and the newer Pixels with other Android options like Galaxy or OnePlus. is there a good site or tool for that?

It's really hard to compare the subjective experience without actually using the device yourself. More objective things like the comparative speed in benchmarks are available all over the internet. Just google "whatever phone review".

Even the objective things are not so simple to compare. How big of a deal is it to you for a phone to open an app in 1 second vs .75 seconds? Is a high refresh rate screen going to make you gush with excitement or be like "hmm, thats different"? Your subjective experience of interacting with objective specs just isn't going to come out until you use the thing.

FWIW, I went from an original Pixel to a Pixel 3a and I guess I'm as happy as I could get with any phone. (Which is to say, not super happy since phones are all bad in their own way...but that's more down to stupid design decision by Google or Apple in their respective OS's) While the 3a's specs don't blow away the Pixel, the Pixel had probably slowed down over years of usage for a variety of reasons. The 3a is plastic while the Pixel was...not, but the 3a is put together well and I don't have any complaints about its build quality.

However, I'm sure I'd have been as happy with many available phones. I'd just have made different compromises on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

She plays random slots games, browses Facebook, talks on the phone, takes selfies, and texts. Not really anything intensive. The 3a will probably be enough but I don't know how to judge a year old mid-tier processor

Ehh, like I said just a few posts before yours...it's really hard to convey this type of subjective thing.

IMO, she won't notice a difference, but that's just a guess.