Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

CLAM DOWN posted:

It can take normal JPGs, or you can tell it to capture raw DNG files too (which are loving enormous of course). It has a massive load of features and dials to screw around with, from ISO to exposure to lighting. I'm not knowledgeable with this stuff at all, but my understanding is that the raw files are intended for post-processing tasks in Photoshop and the like. I've fooled around a bit with the exposure settings when I was trying out some nighttime shots.

Basically the camera sensor captures a lot more detail than you usually see, but then the camera generally does some processing (like noise reduction and sharpening) and converts into a JPEG, which has a lower dynamic range (dark to light) and means that even without compression you lose detail in the shadows, and the highlights can get blown out. The raw file is the data from before the camera software gets its grubby paws all over it.

You can use that extra detail to control the final result in something like Photoshop or Lightroom, as well as other stuff like correcting colour casts more good, but there's no reason why you couldn't play with it on the phone itself, if some software's included

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Why would you get an iPhone 6? It looks like a Samsung

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I just saw a long Samsung ad in the middle of the evening news in the UK, showing the event unveiling of the S6, people using it on the show floor, and then a couple of PR people talking about how nice all the features are. I don't really watch much TV but I don't think they usually livestream launch events into primetime ad slots

I think they'll be pushing this one cyber hard

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Reverse Centaur posted:

I dunno, but Samsung obviously felt like being "the cheap looking phone" was causing them to lose market share. I always have a case personally so I almost feel like I shouldn't buy an HTC One or whatever since it's such a waste.

On that note, time to check out some cyber babe... what the heck !

I only read it for the vlogs

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Lblitzer posted:

So Huawei is going to be the next partner in the Nexus program. Weird.

What's weird about it? I mean why not

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

hooah posted:

Public service announcement - don't buy a Xiaomi unless you plan on completely flattening it, at the least:
http://feeds.slashgear.com/~r/slashgear/~3/fDpoOKpgJ2Y/

Yeah about that

https://bluebox.com/blog/technical/popular-xiaomi-phone-could-put-data-at-risk/#_march8

quote:

Fake or Legitimate Device

Mobile attacks follow user adoption. Thus, Xiaomi’s mainstream popularity also means its devices are popular among counterfeiters. As such, our first test was to determine the authenticity of the Xiaomi Mi 4 LTE we had acquired. Determining whether our Mi 4 LTE was counterfeit was key to understanding the rest of our findings.

To determine if the device is a fake, there are a variety of hardware factors one can look at both on the surface of the device, under the battery cover, and in the components used (e.g. the CPU type). Additionally, there is an app called “Mi Identification” that can be run on the device to determine if the device is legitimate or not. Based on this testing, we determined that our Xiaomi Mi4 LTE was, in fact legitimate. This is a definite cause for concern given the number of questionable, if not downright dicey, things we discovered upon further testing.

quote:

Update: March 8, 2015
Andrew Blaich, Lead Security Analyst

After in-depth testing, Xiaomi has stated that the device is counterfeit and a very good one at that. It even defeated their verification app initially. The conclusion was arrived after sending about a dozen photographs of a variety of angles and areas of the device that were then reviewed by a team at Xiaomi. They additionally compared several of the other anomalies that Bluebox Labs noted in the original findings report. The level of detail this counterfeit went to look like and act like the real thing was rather extraordinary.

quote:

The amount of effort that had to be done to confirm the authenticity of this device goes way beyond what a normal consumer can be expected to do to be assured their purchase is genuine.
:qqsay:

quote:

If it’s this easy to modify the device in the retail chain, it could also be modified in transit, even when purchased from mi.com
:tinfoil:

So basically a security team went to China, bought a knockoff phone from... someplace, used their skillz to determine it was totally the real deal and not one of the many counterfeits knocking around, and then blamed a massive multinational corporation (the third-largest phone manufacturer in the world) for shipping some shoddy hidden malware and adware. Then they find out it's a fake and they start complaining that it was just too amazing, a retail phone that's unlocked, rooted and already has USB debugging activated didn't throw up any red flags for a team of security professionals, and the fact Android phones can be rooted is all Xiaomi's fault, and and watch out for China

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not reading that, but...is their only evidence that it is counterfeit that Xiaomi said so?

I mean, if they're going to spy on people then I wouldn't put it past to them to say "nope, it's not ours!".

Their updates are pretty cagey in a 'here's why we still had a point' way, so they're not exactly laying out all the ways they were wrong, but they're apparently pretty happy to reverse themselves even though the counterfeits are that amazing. Their initial report reads exactly like they bought a blatant knockoff, it was as dodgy as you'd expect, but they decided it was clearly an official product fresh off the production line. It sounds like they had a few things pointed out to them, especially now they're saying the only way to get an official product is through official distribution channels.

I mean it's certainly possible that a business could do this, but everything about the way they've done this looks like amateurish dogwhistling. It's hardly a smoking gun Xiaomi need to defend against with 'uh... n-no!'

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You mean it doesn't sound like AM radio anymore? Phonecall audio is all midrange, does it actually sound unrealistically hollow or is it just... normal now?

I guess it should sound a bit like a call-in show, only now people should sound like the host with their professional mic and not the callers

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Exactly.

I mean I can see they're explaining in the way the circle glows and grows but it's certainly not apparent that the phone lives on the left and camera on the right. I don't have a problem with the functionality or even the shortcut; I have a problem that the gesture doesn't connect to an action in a way that a user can logically intuit before performing the action. It's certainly not obvious that a dialer lives on the left and you're pulling it into view by dragging left to right and in fact there isn't even an animation in practice, merely an indicator that it will eventually happen if you keep dragging in that direction. The wallpaper doesn't even move as though the view to the screen is moving, it literally just happens. Where's the material there? You're not moving a view to another pane.

That's not good UI, it's simply a thing you need to memorize. Good UI would be being able to look at the lockscreen without touching it and knowing what motions will do what action. There's no way a person who has never used a smartphone would know how to use it just by looking at it.

I'm guessing someone who's never used a phone would probably poke the icon, which is when they get a handy message telling them which direction to swipe. If you know enough to swipe but you forget which way, tentatively moving in either direction will give you an obvious clue what that direction will do. Just tapping the screen will tell you how to unlock it, so you can get into the phone and use the normal icons if you want

It's discoverable and gives you information about what's happening in connection with your actions, which is part of the material design ethos. Try and think like a complete newbie for a minute - what's better? Seeing the little camera icon visually highlighting and expanding as you perform a movement, or seeing some weird fullscreen block start to creep over the screen, a thing you don't recognise because you don't know what the camera app even looks like? Would you be even remotely confident that you're doing the right thing? Or would grandma?

Material design's animation guidelines are more about reacting to user interaction, to provide a visual connection to what you just did and what's happening as a result - stuff like changes rippling outward from where you pressed, so you get a sense of direct consequence because of the thing you did. That's pretty much the opposite idea to 'people should know exactly what to do and what will result before they touch anything', which is a really hard thing to assume in UX, even among seasoned users let alone newbies

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's finally fixed!!!

What is? You mean they added that bell button? Does it let you change notification volume without stopping media playback? Or go silent??

I'm really sick of the volume control system in Lollipop. I can understand people saying 'this would be good' but I don't understand how they didn't try it out and go 'oh wait, it's actually really stupid and annoying'. If they've put in some kind of fix for that then my only other issue is Hangouts notifications popping up over video/the menu bar of an app

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

bull3964 posted:

It does this. If you hit it, there's a dropdown with the notification volume.

CLAM DOWN posted:

In 5.1, if you tap the bell button, you can now adjust notification volume without stopping and closing your music!

e:fb

Thanks phone friends, now I'm actually jonesing for the update

I guess it's too much to hope that the silent option is back in the power off menu...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Even if he is a spoilt rich kid or he's being bought off by the tech companies or whatever the theory is, who cares? He makes nice-looking videos where he shows you stuff and goes 'I like this and this, I don't like this' and that's pretty much it. Is anyone buying all these phones because he says he likes them but he doesn't really?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Lollipop did it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

actionjackson posted:

So since I can't use betterbatterystats on my 5.0.2 moto, any suggestions on apps to disable? I've already disabled quite a few (below). Also should I turn off notifications for all my apps?

Disabled:

android live wallpapers
at&t (everything)
daydreams
cloud print
drive
email
google (contacts sync, keyboard, init, setup, pinyin input, play books, play games, play movies and tv, play newsstand, text-to-speech, google+)
hangouts
hp print
motorola migrate
motorola spotlight
music visualization walllpapers
my at&t
softcard
talkback
YP

I just looked at your post history to see the problem you're having, and... you're not?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Unless you're going on a two-week jungle adventure and need to eke out every last drop of battery life, just leave your phone the way it's meant to be and use all those magical things you're denying yourself. Some people have battery issues sometimes, they don't know exactly what causes it and why, if it happens to you it wouldn't be something you could really avoid anyway

actionjackson posted:

My understanding was that notifications are wake locks, so a phone that is displaying notifications must "wake itself up" quite a bit which is worse for the battery than if it is sleeping (or whatever it's called).

Honestly if you don't even know what's going on under the hood (and why would you need to? It's a phone) there's a good chance you're making things worse by messing around with stuff you don't understand. At least try it stock and see if it's fine! Crack open a live wallpaper and kick back with some cloud printing

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You're preaching to the converted here, people. He's a nightmare but I want to be able to flash 4.4.4 back onto his device so he can sleep at night. Is it possible? You don't know what it's like!

Do this and he'll own you. If he's a nightmare now, wait until you're the guy who changes phones and you changed his phone and now there's a problem with it (months later)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

What are you using to copy it? You should be able to move any file you like over with MTP or Airdroid or whatever, whether you can play it is down to your video app

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

MisterBibs posted:

Oh my God, I never knew about this ap. Got the transfer done in ~5 minutes, max. Thank you so much! I'm assuming the Data Limits it cites is only about doing transfers non-locally?

Uhhhh I don't know, but MTP is loving awful I know that!

If you mean Airdroid I only ever used the lite version, never signed up or anything. I just use it on my wifi :shobon: They might have data limits if you're going through their servers

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ruby idiot railed posted:

Camera samples. Galaxy S6 #1 vs Note 4 #2.

Waterproofing looking good

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Possibly, but I'm not sure if the geriatric biochem profs were really jamming out to mathcore playing through craptacular N5 speakers

They probably started mentally analysing the sick polyrhythms and ended up hyped and 43% more productive for the session. Great job!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Is that SquareTrade the warranty seller?

The analysis is... your phone is in extreme danger buy our warranties!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ilkhan posted:

That is what I meant.
Oh well.

What do you want to do though? What are you trying to lock into landscape? If it's photos you can rotate them afterwards - you can probably also hold the shutter button/volume to fix your shot, and rotate it while holding, but I haven't tried it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ilkhan posted:

The lizard on the wall was vertical, but I still wanted a portrait orientation photo without having to rotate afterward.

You mean a landscape one? The photo should be orientated however you were holding the phone when you took it, portrait or landscape, and always the right way up. If you want to turn things on their side or upside down, you'll have to swipe over and hit edit and do a quick spin

There are probably camera apps that let you disable this and work in a fixed landscape mode, if that's your jam

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I think people got to try it out instead of looking at pictures on the internet

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

-Blackadder- posted:

Can anyone tell what I can do to increase battery life? Maybe an app or some settings I can change?

Turn your brightness down a bit

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Are you allowed to tether? They might be blocking you

If you have a computer running through it, try pinging a known IP address like 8.8.8.8 (Google's DNS server) and see if it goes through. If it works try setting your network connection to use that as a DNS server. DNS is the worst

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Rusty! posted:

Yep, HTC made little Bluetooth phones to go with their regular phone.

I guess they stopped because they realised it was stupid.

Yeah that poo poo was stupid as hell. Who the gently caress would want a smaller phone that connects to your larger phone over bluetooth, just so you don't have to take your big phone out of your pocket?

Oh hay need to charge my watch

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

hooah posted:

God dammit. The wireless charger I ordered came today, and it's no more reliable than the cord. Probably less so. What the hell is the problem with this phone??

Hate to say it, but didn't you replace the non-user-replaceable battery in that phone? I know you've had a bunch of issues around that

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

hooah posted:

That's true. I don't have any reason to believe it wasn't an OEM battery, and I did pop the phone open to inspect the battery connection. Funnily enough, it's misbehaving quite a bit less now, although still enough to be an annoyance. I just wish the Moto G would've been a decent holdover phone, but it really couldn't keep up.

Well I'm not saying the battery is necessarily bad, just that you seem to have a lot of power issues, so personally I'd suspect something about the replacement process ain't right

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Isn't the E missing a few important sensors? Or was that just the first version

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Tunga posted:

I'm trying to check this but can't see any references to it. What was the original missing?

I remembered hearing it was either the accelerometer or magnetometer (I just remember thinking 'hmm won't that prevent a few things from working'), and this site says there's no magnetometer, for what it's worth. Seems to be hard work getting a straight answer though!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Couldn't it work like CM did where it would just feed apps data in the format they expect but with values that are obviously fake? Seems like if you did that and indicated that the request was denied old apps would continue to function and new apps would take advantage of the response to adapt to revoked permissions.

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like the nightmare is the UI for it not how to implement it on the back side.

Basically parts of the system are walled off by default, unless you specifically include a particular permission. Without it, code that works with those features and those library calls won't work, and it'll crash as a result. The permissions system is a way of saying to the user 'look, this is the stuff this app is designed to access, so don't install it if you're not happy with this'

A granular system where any permission can be revoked at any time basically lets the user arbitrarily throw a spanner in the works. Now your code has to account for things suddenly not being available, with checks and alternative code paths to gracefully handle the fact that it can't do what it was doing anymore. You need to make a version of your app that works, and then versions that trip along without bits of functionality they need - and making those not-really-working versions will be expected, because that's the system they're moving to

And this is for the ideal case where you're starting fresh on an app and planning everything with this in mind. Retrofitting all these failsafes and other behaviours could be a serious amount of work - and there's already enough code that's a house of cards as it is, relying on the state of things being what's expected, instead of engineering it so you're absolutely sure at every step

It could be real bad, but I guess we'll see!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Honestly though I've never heard of anyone having issues with the way CM did it and they're CM. The way they did it, the library calls work just as they would normally except they give fake data. Apps don't crash (although I guess if your pizza app had its location permission revoked you might silently send pizzas to Antarctica) and work as expected.

You did touch on the main problem with it which is that it's okay for CM to send address books full of John Does living at 123 Fake Street when an app asks for your contact list to send to China because CM users are willing to put up with janky poo poo that can have hosed up things happen. When mom decides Maps shouldn't be trusted with location data however I'm not sure that's going to fail in an elegant way with the CM method.

And of course if Google says well, okay, some permissions are necessary for an app to work so the developer can mark those irrevocable then I guess every permission for every app is now necessary and irrevocable!

Well like Tunga's saying, those tend to be permissions about querying some dataset on the device, so it's easier to insert some mock result provider that just blows the app off and returns dummy data. Internally the app is allowed to make those calls (doing it without permission = crash), and it successfully receives valid data. It's just that the data is lies. (I'm making a few assumptions about how this CM thing works obviously)

Actually revoking the permissions means that certain code won't be allowed to execute. They might rework this so that you can call stuff but it will always fail or return null or something, but suddenly you have to constantly keep checking stuff that you could take for granted before. Not necessarily things you should have been taking for granted, but Java is verbose and packed full of boilerplate as it is, and coding horrors will always exist. Fact is a lot of stuff that did work fine will suddenly hit a lot of problems that generally never existed before, and they might manifest in all kinds of complicated ways.

Even well-behaved apps might start 'failing' from the user's perspective, because they're hitting problems that are meant to be exceptional outliers, and they try to gracefully and transparently handle it behind the scenes, because they don't realise that something's permanently failing and the user needs to be told because it's their fault

It all depends on exactly what they do and how they help people to move over to the new system, but I wouldn't be surprised if this turns into app Jenga when people start revoking stuff

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

It's not really the same. Music at least has properties but photos don't really have natural metadata fields. I mean, until smartphones you generally couldn't have GPS and old digital cameras didn't really have a way to insert usable data.

Obviously it's not a problem going forward but I can see where it's a big pain point for anyone alive before this millennium who had accumulated a large cache of photos they'd like to save to the cloud.

How do you mean? EXIF's been around for like two decades, it's as 'natural' as any metadata embedded in a music file - more so really, since the camera automatically records the data when you take a photo. Music files can end up with any old garbage in their metadata, if they have anything at all

It would be a bigger problem with things like scanned photos, where the closest thing you have to a reliable date is the timestamp on the file itself, which is nothing to do with the date of the photo. But that's what metadata's for! You can put them all in 'My 1970s Family Pics' but you can't expect an automated system that relies on standardised data to understand your folder naming system. It would be nice if they said 'uh oh' and gave you some options, but with all this identification and grouping technology I think they just want to make all your grandmas appear magically

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hey people on lollipop, if you go into a long listview (like your list of installed apps in the settings) and go a ways down, then flick the list down three times so it starts zooming back up to the top... does it bounce off the top and start scrolling back down?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Variable_H posted:

I have this same issue while speed scrolling up in the twitter app Fenix. It'll scroll up a ways then just reverse and start scrolling down. It's not hitting the top because I'll still have unviewed tweets. This is on a Nexus 6.

Yeah it's weird, I noticed it in the awful app and thought it was resetting the page position (I'd scroll up fast and end up looking at the last post, it bounces so quick) but it just happened in the system settings too. Two flicks and you're fine, it hits the top and stops, but if you gave it three or more it bounces right back and scrolls down

I can't see any reason they'd make it do that intentionally, who wants that to happen? Crazy

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah, could be! I only updated this week, and obviously I'm super impatient with my scrolling so I'd probably have noticed it before now

e- or not

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sure it won't turn off if you hold the power button down? Like, for a while

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

How long is a piece of string - android edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It's not meant to, the settings switch on lollipop specifically says screen on or charging. The 5 doesn't have the hardware to keep listening without keeping the whole phone awake and nomming that battery

Maybe they broke it for the M preview, or maybe they developed some sweet software trickery to keep it low power, which would be cool. I heard someone saying the 5 actually does have the hardware to listen, but they used it for a step counter sensor instead, so maybe they've even found a way to repurpose it :catstare: if that's even possible