Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Pixel XL is very good on battery life but I still monitor it and I'm still not satisfied. Why can't I have a portable fusion reactor in my phone?

Turn you are brightness down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's at about 40% on the slider and auto enabled, will I really see that much of a difference dropping it another 10%?

Try it!

Honestly it depends on your environment too, if you're in bright light (especially sunlight) it's going to crank a lot more to compensate. But in my experience you can reduce drain a lot by taking it down a notch, and you probably won't even notice the difference after a while

Depends what you're doing and how low you go though, but that's my top battery tip. Also why it's weird when people compare screen-on times, it's wildly variable depending on what your screen is doing and that's the big battery killer unless you're playing :pcgaming: rad games

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

bull3964 posted:

It's too late now though. The daydream "hardware" is set. A curved screen would be out of focus with current lense setups.

Does it really matter though? I mean the Galaxy Nexus had a curved screen but it's not like you could actually see it, it was an incredibly subtle feel thing. I'm not even sure the actual display was curved

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

sleepwalkers posted:

The GNex screen was more than subtle, and you're right, the display was not curved. But think of lenses in glasses and what would happen if you changed the lens you're seeing through that significantly.

It's not the lens you're looking through though, it's a piece of glass over the (flat) thing you're looking at. I don't remember seeing any screen aberrations from looking at the phone with this curved piece of glass on it, I didn't even know it was curved until some article pointed it out and I realised I could feel it. It doesn't look unfocused or inconsistent

So it's been a while since I did any physics but it doesn't seem like it would make any difference? Unlike an actual curved display where you get significant differences in distance. Or maybe my intuition's bad and the GNex would look weird if you stuck it right up against your eyeballs too 🤔

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ilkhan posted:

True. Grab the list of apps and the user data from each directory. Boom, it's backed up.

There's no hard line about what an app's folder can contain, so you're potentially backing up hundreds of MBs of data on the regular. The backup system Google introduced lets devs opt in and specify exactly what needs backing up, and then it'll be handled automatically, but that's recent-ish

There is a system cache folder for temporary things, but the official guidelines say you should store approximately gently caress all in there

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Does handedness matter much? I've never really thought about it but I hold my phone in my left hand a lot and I'm right handed. Keep it in my left pocket too

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Thumposaurus posted:

Any one figure this out? My Galaxy s6 started doing this the other day and it is extremely annyoing with no way to switch it off.

People on some forum say uninstalling something called Peel Remote fixes it???

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Arcanen posted:

Google does this too, right? I got Google Assistant on my phone just before my upgrade, and it seems to require permissions for pretty much everything to function. Everything you type in Assistant, your GPS history, browser history, what your screen is showing at any given moment etc. No thanks.

You know what Assistant is, right? It's an automated task thing that uses all your phone's capabilities so you don't have to do stuff yourself. You could try disabling individual permissions, but I wouldn't be surprised if it just requires full access to avoid complicating things

I mean yeah be suspicious of Google harvesting all your info in general (check out your account dashboard sometime) but it's a bit weird to single out this app that's meant to integrate deeply with your device and your data as having unreasonable access

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

redeyes posted:

That and the Verizon version has a CDMA radio and all that jazz. My front camera is piss poor. Back camera is a downgrade from the s6. Bleh.

Are the lenses clean? People don't really think about it (I know I didn't) but unlike every other camera on the planet, you put phones in your pocket and hands with the optics exposed, they're gonna get crud on them and it will affect the picture and things like focus to some degree. Really you should be wiping them every time you go to take a picture, but who does that?

Or maybe everyone does and it's just me who forgets

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

FAUXTON posted:

Pixel XL GPU graph from scrolling as fast as possible

That's a different set of views and stuff - if you want to compare you should do the same search as the other screenshots and scroll that

Also depends if you're scrolling stuff you've already seen or if it's fresh stuff loading from the network. Scrolling down to load all the bitmaps should be harsher than scrolling up and down after they're already in memory

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

McOgre posted:

I've recently been seeing apps "refresh" constantly on my Note 5, and it seems like it's because it's experiencing memory pressure that is causing foreground apps to reload. I've cleared caches, uninstalled any apps I don't use, and used Greenify to try to stop a majority of background apps, but I still see apps reload. It's basically made reading webpages or using an RSS feed reader impossible.

At this point, I figure I will just need to factory reset, but still want to see if anyone has a suggestion of what else I could try. And if I do need to factory reset, what's the best way to backup my phone? It's not rooted.

See if you can enable Developer Options (I don't know if yours has it, look it up) and look at the Running Services bit. It'll tell you what's running and what's cached (paused in the background) and how much memory they're taking up. Then you can close (force stop) anything that's hogging too much memory

You gotta bear in mind, on android there's only one foreground app - the one that's on your screen (split screen complicates this I guess but the point still stands). Anything not on the screen is background and has a lower priority, and is more likely to get kicked out of memory when there's memory pressure (and high-memory stuff gets kicked first). There's not a lot you can do about it as a user, except to try and limit the amount of other stuff you have running

It's a bit more complicated than that, but if you can look at the Running Processes thing - the Running processes are your enemies when your app is in the foreground, the Cached ones are the rivals when it's in the background. And swiping an app away doesn't kick it out of memory, FYI - that's what Force Stop does

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

McOgre posted:

I checked Running Services, and found that system processes are using 2.5 GB of memory, while the cached processes are consuming about 400 MB. In comparison, my husband's Nexus 6P was at 0.9 GB for his system processes. So it seems like something is causing Android to hog a bunch of memory.

http://thedroidguy.com/2015/08/how-to-boot-samsung-galaxy-note-5-in-safe-mode-wipe-cache-partition-perform-master-reset-etc-1048204/amp

There's some stuff you can try there, like safe mode to see if it's still happening and clearing caches. 2.5GB for just the running system stuff sounds extreme, maybe something is messed up there. That definitely isn't including system apps?

On stock android you get bars for System, Apps and Free, and then below there's a rundown of everything in the Apps group (which includes stock apps and services) and how much memory it's using. That way you can see which are the biggest memory hogs, and maybe try stopping them or clearing their data/caches. That's where I'd expect to see any Samsung bloat too, but you'd have to compare with another Note user I guess!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Wait, things are reloading while they're in the foreground? That shouldn't ever happen unless things are really hosed up

Are you on the latest store version of Awful? If you are, is it saving your post when it restarts or do you lose it? If it loses it that sounds like a hard crash, and it might be a sign that stuff is broken on your phone and it's not a memory pressure thing at all

Honestly you're probably best off just resetting it if the clear cache thing didn't help. Isn't Samsung meant to have a good backup tool? Or was that lies

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

RVProfootballer posted:

How the hell can I make Gboard better about auto-correcting words I spelled correctly? It has started changing "youth" to "your" (yep, when I typed it here too!). Worst thing ever. Did it with another word too. What the hell?

Try turning off 'next-word suggestions' - it stops it using the previous word to make a guess at what you meant, and 'bla your' is probably more common than 'bla youth'

It's meant to Just Work so it sometimes re-corrects itself when you type more, and it's meant to learn the more you type, but it's mostly annoying

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The eclipse turns into an Oreo with a cape, hands out milk, stream starts buffering (but it's over), links go to a 404

It's here and looking good!!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah there's an 'I support multi-window' flag apps can set and it defaults to on. Taffer's saying apps don't have to roll their own magic window thing, android just sticks them in a smaller box and if they don't make the effort to look good in it, too bad!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Alan_Shore posted:

Well I was curious if there are any significant changes or additions or if it's just under the hood stuff. You haven't mentioned any new features, just that there are no problems, so is O more of a stability update?

https://www.android.com/versions/oreo-8-0/

There's a roundup at the bottom. Some of it's features that developers will need to add to apps (which might have to wait til they're backported to the support library so they work on older devices too), but there's UI and system stuff as well

One of the main features is they've improved updating, so things like system and security updates can happen more easily. Fonts (including the emoji font) can be downloaded and updated too, so apps can use those - and that's in the support library so older devices can get them too. So there's a lot of stuff you'll only notice in the future instead of instant :pcgaming:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

What's the deal with latency on Bluetooth earbuds now? Do you have to put up with sync issues if you're say watching a video?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

FAUXTON posted:

I would guess it depends on the video since I've never tried watching anything longer than a couple minutes long news clip, and there aren't sync issues with those.

Well I mean more like a lip sync issue, the kind you can adjust for on home theatre receivers because your TV might be adding some latency. Basically is the tech fast enough to eliminate that or is there still a bit going on

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ yeah that sucks. If there were a way to force a 2-way sync it would be fine... well for non 'live' content anyway. Wires have no latency and turns out that's a really nice feature a lot of the time

datajosh posted:

I've noticed sync issues using my Bluetooth earphones with my PC but not with my phone.

Hmmm not exactly great, but thanks!

I know Bluetooth 5 is meant to be super low latency if you have stuff new enough to use it. Still not getting good vibes about this wireless everything future though

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 6, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ola posted:

Bluetooth is fast, but it's buffered. The Bluetooth driver is built to compensate for this and pretty much any video player as well. The video player gets told to desync audio with x amount of time. You can see how fast it corrects itself if you disconnect Bluetooth during playback and how it pauses to sync the buffer when you reconnect. Any problems with out of sync audio isn't so much with the protocol or the hardware itself but how the whole chain works together. I used my phone for navigation once in a car where the Bluetooth didn't compensate for buffering, it was like 3 seconds out. "Turn left now" when you've already turned and the next song starts playing three seconds after I've pressed next.

Yeah I have a Bluetooth speaker which... now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure I've used it for video a couple of times without noticing a problem 🤔

It definitely buffers for music though, and then if it loses connection for a minute it goes faster to catch up. Bluetooth is weird and a land of contrasts

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Combat Pretzel posted:

If the panels run in sRGB mode and are calibrated accordingly, then colors should be fine. If something looks off to anyone, then it's because other devices have displaying it wrong. That's all assuming Google/LG didn't gently caress something up.

That's what people have been saying, the colours are supposedly more accurate but most displays are tuned warmer and make everything pop a lot more. So people are used to seeing that, it's the de facto normal, 'correct' look and anything that deviates from it will be judged from that baseline

Not to mention designers have been targetting these devices too, so for a lot of stuff it is actually supposed to look like that. You can pick a less saturated colour so it looks right on the vast majority of oversaturated displays, but if you get a well-calibrated one it'll just look washed out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sereri posted:

I totally forgot. My GF is getting a P2XL. Can you guess how she tested if she can deal with the size, coming from a N5?

I couldn't stop laughing for like 5 minutes when she showed me

I bet she could sell that on eBay