Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So have there been any new announcements on when the 2013 Moto X is getting 5.0? Or is 5.0 a piece of garbage that is ruining old phones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I put car wax on my screen, it's doing an okay job keeping the fingerprints off so far. Haven't tried RainX yet.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Since updating my 2013 Moto X to 5.1, twice it has locked up, and on restart has gone back into the "optimizing apps" screen. I don't know why it would ever do that, I've only been on that screen when installing an update.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone having Bluetooth issues with their 2013 Moto X since the update? A couple times, but not every time, its connected and playing, but no audio is coming through. I toggle Bluetooth off and on and it works.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is Motorola still replacing cracked screens for free on 2nd gen Moto X? Or was that just the first gen? I don't see any info within the past year.

Edit - Nope.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 7, 2015

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I would love for the Nexus 5x to have a great camera. I'm on a 2013 Moto X, and its been disappointing in the long run with the crap camera, slow software updates, and its just getting old now with the battery. Also I'm pretty pisses about the "optimizing apps" thing every so often since the Lollipop when it restarts, despite clearing cache and factory reset.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I don't know why 16gb exists, its not enough.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

r0ck0 posted:

You can't buy a phone with google play store credit.

Is it only for apps?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

This may come as a shock, but different people use their phones in different ways

I have never come close to using up the 16gb on my (ex) n5. On my tiny little moto g I've not even used the 8gb yet!

If you don't install huge games, and don't carry around a ton of movies or music it can be plenty

It fills up with photos after about 8 months. And apps cache tons of poo poo. Play Music, Facebook, Chrome, Maps, etc. Storage is so cheap, its pointless to be limited as such.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

Why on earth are you keeping all your photos on your phone?

Because having to actively manage my photos is stupid and lame.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Rastor posted:

So... your requirement for a phone is infinite storage space for photos...?

At least 2 years worth. I'm just saying storage is so cheap, there's no reason it should come as a premium option on the phone.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

If you want to spend your time clearing caches and deleting photos, or just not using your phone at all in the first place, that's fine.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

If the designers would just make cardboard cutouts before slapping all of this hardware together, I'm sure they would find space inside the phone for some more gigs of storage.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So reasonable 4.7" screens are gone forever, right?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah, still gonna have to wait for reviews before I decide on the new Moto X or the 5x.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The Moto X Pure is just too big for me. The Moto G doesn't really seem like being worth it coming from a 2013 Moto X.

I'm going to have to get a Nexus 5x, aren't I? I hope the camera is really good. I hope they do something to get it to work on T-Mobile band 12.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

halokiller posted:

Well if it's like what happened to the Nexus 6, prepare to wait a while...

I don't think it's a killer feature for me, but if I'm going to get a new phone, I want it all. I have plenty of coverage where I live. I was hoping that with Band 12, I'd be able to go more than 10ft outside of the suburbs and still get a signal. I can still just run this 2013 Moto X into the ground based on that. I'm really just not happy with the camera, and the battery life is showing it's age. I'm already charging it 2x a day as it is, so I I could just leave it plugged in forever why not.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah, better coverage where you already have great coverage. I drove through that pink area in Southern California yesterday and was on 1G for about 20 minutes. I doubt it would be any different.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dunno, I kinda just use my eyeballs and look at the charger, align it correctly, and there it is plugged in.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Use velcro instead of grip tape. Apply velcro to Qi charger. That weird guy who throws his phone can fastball his phone right onto the charger.

Great carrying device too

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sergiu64 posted:

My AT&T 2013 Moto X finally got Lollipop today. :)

Sorry it's gonna suck now.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Are press copies being sent out for review?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

bronin posted:

This is the sad state of android phones we're in when nowadays a thing like the Nexus 5X is considered small.

My whole 2013 Moto X fits within the screen of a Nexus 6p

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It looks like the Nexus 5x is the same width as the 2014 Moto X, so it is still able to be held reasonably with one hand.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Have any more detailed reviews of the Nexuses come out yet? I gotta place an order for something. My Moto X is still doing the optimizing apps thing even after a hard reset, and I'm experiencing wifi connectivity issues.

LionYeti posted:

My company outsourced most of its level 2 support to the Philippines and we've gotten nothing but complaints.

They have an interesting culture in the Philippines about work life. At a company I used to work for, we had outsourced our AP processing there. They would fairly often leave quite a bit of work for our US leads to fix or just process things that should have been done over there.

We sent a guy over to see what was up. It was typical for them to just decide to leave work for the day, or screw off for a few hours to go play basketball. A fairly admirable bohemian work ethic if you ask me.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I was in the Best Buy yesterday. My whole 2013 Moto X fits inside the screen of the Moto X Pure. But honestly I could hold and use the Pure just fine with one hand. Actually it was better than the new Moto G, which is a lot thicker, despite being smaller.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

8th-snype posted:

I went from a 2013 Moto X to a Pure. Getting to the top left corner with my thumb while holding it one handed is an issue (I do not have small hands either) but not a deal breaking one, just slightly awkward. I'm a huge fan of having enough battery life to use my phone at least a day with out charging it and the screen is nice. In my opinion it's worth the upgrade.

Yeah I'm still on the fence between the Moto X Pure and the Nexus 5x. I need the reviews.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Audio quality on the recordings is much better on the 6p if that is important to anyone.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I don't know why you're not carrying at all times a phone, a tablet, a phablet, a smart watch, a bluetooth keyfob, and various nfc tags superglued to your clothing and accessories. In fact, when I have my double-wide cargo jorts on, I like to keep a spare 20,000 mah battery connected to my pocket Qi charger. I keep this topped off with a solar panel I wear from a chain around my neck.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Master Stur posted:

Anyone know what's up with a phone's reported available storage being less than it should by a decent amount? Mine's off by 1.5GB and a factory reset didn't help :shrug:

They advertise total storage on the phone and then the Android install takes up some space, so you're left with Total Storage - Operating System = What You Can Use

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I should just order the Nexus 5x and not wait for in depth reviews, right.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I had a non-Verizon Galaxy Nexus, and it while it functioned fine, it was pretty lacking in the screen and camera.

gariig posted:

At this point you'll probably have in-depth reviews before the device is shipped. Google also has a 14 day return policy

What is the current ship date?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

^^^ I had a sprint galnex. Was happy with it aside from the lovely coverage, and resulting lovely battery life. Then I dropped it, cracked the screen, and a week later got tired of running my thumbs over broken glass.

That's what I did this morning. I literally got out of the shower and walked straight to the computer room and ordered.

And if Halo 5 had any split screen at all I'd have gotten an xbone too.

I love gadgets and have poor impulse control.

I'm just not seeing any good alternative in the price range. There is the Moto X but I'm pretty ambivalent based on their history of software updates.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mr.Radar posted:

There's a new official video out for the Priv showing off the Blackberry Hub and physical keyboard gestures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nO8EdLtJj0

Totally failed to launch the maps navigation automatically from the address in the text message.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone thinking about cases for the 5x yet? Ice Blue is shipping Oct 26, and White/Black are shipping Oct 22. I'm thinking why wait for an Ice Blue if I'm just going to cover it up with a case. I haven't seen any bumper cases like I have for my Moto X.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I've seen a few bumper sort of things. Don't have experience with any of those companies, and I'm not even sure if I'll get a case.

Note that those each have something resembling the blue 5x.

A bumper case just wraps around the edges with no back. I hope someone makes one.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I...I...just made a cardboard cutout of a 6P.

:negative:

I just went to the store and played with the big iPhone. They're practically identical in size. I can't reasonably operate it with one hand.

Google's photos on their store site show a man using the 6p doing man stuff, and a woman using the 5x. Still getting the 5x.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah I would also like to know more about Project Fi and if it is just another half-baked Google thing or not.

Voice works fine with MMS and group texts now. I'm not sure why I still have it though. It was useful when I had the T-Mobile nerd plan and could make calls from my PC, but I have unlimited everything now. And it was useful when I was in the mountains without T-Mobile service and could use it to call over wifi, but T-Mobile does wifi calling. I'm not entirely sure using Voice is a hindrance since all of the texts go over data.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

For people that have the X Style, how are you liking it? I was debating on that or the Nexus 6 but decided the 6 is a bit too big for my liking. The main thing I'm worried about is the battery life.

The old Nexus 6 or the Nexus 6p? Because the Moto X Style is like the same size as the 6p but thicker.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Mo...hones/9553,9587

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Does the Nexus 6p have any features like the big iPhone that help with one handed use? For example, you can double tap the home button on the iPhone and it shrinks down the screen to put things within thumb reach.

http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/reachability-iphone-6/