Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Microsoft just sold the Nokia mobile brandname to a new Finnish company, HMD Global, comprised of a lot of Nokia execs and seems to be effectively an unofficial spinoff company of Nokia, who've subsequently announced they'll be manufacturing Android smartphones and tablets under the Nokia brand, with the original Nokia company having input and power of approval. Phones to be manufactured by Foxconn. I look forward to seeing what comes out of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

As the article says, Foxconn licensed the brand name from the Finnish company to sell a tablet in China. This is kind of the same thing except they're licensing it to another Finnish company. I'd be surprised if HMD Nokia phones can be sold in the US since MS still owns the Nokia brand for mobile, though they're not using it.

No, HMD acquired the full global brand name rights from Microsoft. Also the main Nokia execs that were transferred to Microsoft have now been moved to HMD. It's a lot bigger than the Foxconn thing.

Mister Fister posted:

(Microsoft) Nokia phones had great Cameras at the time, hope that continues with the new company.

Pre-Microsoft, too. Nokia always had by far the best cameras. They were the first to have cameras that were actually viable to use as cameras and not just novelties.

I remember eight or so years ago my little 4-inch-long mid-end Nokia stick phone (6220 classic) had 5 megapixels, 3x optical zoom, and a real camera style xenon flash. A good five megapixels, too, which is better than a lot of cameraphones now with twice that.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 18, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I would like to come back from the iPhone (for various reasons, Siri is garbage, etc) but the messaging thing really bugs me. iMessage "just works" (most of the time) and regular old SMS/MMS sucks. COME ON GOOGLE.

It's looking as though Allo will take over as the SMS app after their push for Hangouts to be your SMS app failed hilariously, dynamically using the best of whichever is available for you. Allo should be a pretty good 'just works' solution, it's just silly they didn't integrate hangouts into it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well, the way this works using phone numbers as your ID means it should be fairly seamless to use the one Allo app as the central point for either old SMS or new Allo, with the extra features only visible between two who've both switched and messages being exchanged by SMS otherwise. Being able to drop-in without actually having to register or change contact lists or lose history or anything makes all the difference for switching people over, I think.

Also, google will probably pay samsung to switch to allo as the default app.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 19, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Uthor posted:

and as long as you have someone's email in your contact, it's seamless

And that's where you're overestimating people and why hangouts failed as SMS 2.

Unlike that, Allo should just work, right from install.

I think that they might've even chosen not to integrate hangout conversations deliberately so as not to scare people off with confusion over extra conversations and threads when using it as a drop-in replacement for the SMS app. It just needs to be marketable as just a better SMS app, no effort, no weirdness, does just the same, but sometimes with cool pictures.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 19, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

(in regards to file access over USB requiring developer options) :shrug: I dunno? I plugged it in, my computer shows it as a removable file storage device, but when you browse it there's nothing there, no folders or files. Googled around, found instructions to enable developer mode and set USB transfer to MTC and suddenly it worked.

For security reasons, phones default to charging-only connection on plugging them in now. Pull down the notification and tap it to change it to file access.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

gently caress, so I've bent and thus screwed up the screen on my S6 Edge, can only see about the top third of it. I basically can't navigate or do much using the actual phone. I might try and repair it or just buy a replacement (as I don't like it anyway). Problem is I stupidly haven't got my contacts backed up, and they are stored on the phone. I can connect to Airdroid, but that seems to have no contacts backup.

Is there some way of backing up my contacts entirely via my PC, with the phone connected either via cable or wifi, so I can transfer them to a new phone?

Use the google play store to remotely push Vysor to your phone, install it on your PC, use phone from computer?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Contacts synced to Google just fine by default on the multiple Samsung devices I've had so I'm not sure why the hate :shrug:

Just general Samsung hate. 90% of the time when something goes wrong on a Galaxy it's becuase Samsung tried to replace a well-ish-designed and functional Google thing with their own half-arsed bullshit, so we just assume now.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

A nice idea in theory, though having looked into it you don't install Vysor on your phone, just your PC, but you need USB Debugging enabled on the phone, which it isn't in this case. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Unless you can figure out how to enable USB debugging, most of our solutions won't work, I suspect. Sorry.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 23, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Looking for a tablet with an HD IPS screen and takes full size SD card(s) as a media player.

That last one probably isn't going to exist in the Android space. Micro, baby.

Aside from that, any hints to your target size and price range?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

I honestly didn't realise it was a thing

I just assumed any digital clock would default to 24 hr because that's sensible?

Do they not teach it in schools or something? Is it seen as a military only thing?

The news channel thing was a genuine question btw

It's just cultural standards. There's no massive motive to change, and because we grew up with AM/PM, 24-hour time takes just slightly more effort to register, since we'll always end doing in-head conversions from 20:00 to 8:00 because that's how we think of time.

And because we're used to it that way, our kids grow up with it as the norm, they think of time that way, and it never changes. It's like Americans and penises.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 25, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hypothetically you can tap, but it's best to tap and drag if you want to get an exact minute.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunga posted:

I don't know how America managed to gently caress this up because you'd think it'd be an international standard due to companies like Visa/Mastercard. In Europe they are fast and excellent.

Yeah. Wave card. If it's more than your set wave limit (default $100), enter pin. All works fine and instant in Australia.

Then again, Australia had had universal bank card payments in even tiny merchants and vending machines with swipe-and-pin directly debiting your bank account since the 80s. Thank you, only having four major banks to coordinate.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Moto G 3rd Gen was possibly one of the greatest value cheap phones ever, too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm so old I use MusicBee. I just sync that locally.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

chippy posted:

Those praising/complaining the voice recognition, are you talking about the actual recognition of what you're saying once it's activated, or the 'OK google' activation? Becausefor me, if I can get it activated and listening, it's really great at recognising what I say, and I can speak very naturally. But the actual voice activation is flakey as gently caress. Works about half the time, stops working completely and demands retraining every few weeks. Often activates and then instantly says it doesn't understand but without giving you a chance to say anything (as another goon mentioned). Sometimes doesn't listen to you and just searches the word 'Google' instead. I find all of these problems are worse when you're waking the phone from screen off with you voice. I'm English and have a very neutral accent, before you all start telling me I talk weird.

This is basically my experience too. It recognises me fine, but then it fucks off and does a google web search for what I wanted most of the time or half-completes what you'd think would be a straightforward instruction.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunga posted:

This doesn't sounds like the same thing as the post you quoted.

So you have three parts:

"OK Google" activation.
Voice recognition, i.e. turning your words into written words accurately.
Actions, i.e. what Google then does with that information.

Oh, yeah, it's not. I was lazy and read half a post.

Yeah, element three is where it's poo poo for me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

iajanus posted:

I don't mind a lot of their choices, but every single time I need to find things in iOS's broken settings system I remember why I don't own an iPhone.

This is pretty accurate. The settings app is a nightmare.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't root my phone but I'm tempted to just for the chrome Pie controls xposed mod.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Do all these quad-core devices sleep three of the cores during standby? How much does that save?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DemonMage posted:

Compared to what? Everything is at least a quad core CPU these days, along with multiple co-processors for things. There's no point in trying to find a lovely CPU to eek out an extra 30 minutes of battery life, just get a credit card sized portable battery for emergencies and enjoy your non-crippled device.

I wasn't proposing to get a crap device, just wondering if they shut down the extra cores and how much running on one core v four or eight saves during sleep if they do.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 21, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If you want near-stock and an SD card, the Xperia line's probably worth a look, too. If you want 6", didn't the Xperia XA Ultra just launch? Anyone know how that's reviewing?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If you use list mode in Nova you can scroll on the right of the screen with letters like in contacts and things like that, I find it incredibly useful. Just pop straight down to the letter I want.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kerbtree posted:

On a different note: the clusterfuck that is USB-C continues

Christ, this is something that really should be worth a recall and replacement. That they're not is... disappointing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

As with all tech kickstarters I'll believe it when they actually ship something

They did ship something before - a dock that did the same thing, but was a dock instead of laptop, and required a phone with MHL. I wonder how that was to use, though. Could give an indication.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, there are a few chomebooks in that price range that are usable build quality.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The idea is; take a nice chromebook, subtract the cost of the processor/memory/connectivity from the price because you're offloading all that onto the phone people already have.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honest Thief posted:

What's good on notepad apps and scheduling? Something like OneNote?

OneNote?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drivers getting pushed through windows update as opposed to loving never getting updated or even properly installed on 99% of computers is a goddamn godsend.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So apparently the new Xbox One S controller has Bluetooth and you can pair it with Android, but the button mappings are all screwed up. Is the only way to fix that kind of thing to be rooted?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 13, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Uninstall Facebook, people. Your phone will thank you.

Genuinely, you'll probably get a quite noticeable battery life boost from going to the Facebook web interface or a wrapper like Metal. Facebook's horrible app has been experimentally demonstrated to massively eat background power.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The majority of the app's background battery usage shows up as used by things like Android System or Android OS processes. It just revs those up far too often, even without most notifications set on.

It's why I said experimentally - there were a few places doing controlled tests not too long ago.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 15, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

chippy posted:

I think you're wrong.. My battery's on 92% currently. The top item is 'screen'. It shows 1% and the computed power use is 41mAh. 41 mAh is 1.18% of 3450mAh, the total battery capacity. There are another 3 items, all similar levels of use (25-40mAh) all around 1% of the total battery capacity, and all showing 1%. These figures are all consistent with that percentage being 1% of the total battery capacity, not the total battery usage.

If, as you propose, that figure was a percentage of the amount used, then the calculated battery use for the top item should be 1% of 8% of 3450mAh, which is 2.76mAh. If it's meant to be the percentage of the total battery use then the computed power use figure is wrong by an order of magnitude. That would also mean that 96% of the battery use was unaccounted for.

tl;dr: I think you're wrong because the 'computed power use' figure is consistent with the percentage being the percentage of the total battery capacity, not the total battery usage.

My battery is currently sitting at 62% charge and the percentages listed add up to 80.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LastInLine posted:

How are the other OEMs not making Google look bad? Not that I'm the biggest Samsung supporter but let's face facts, Samsung makes the only aspirational devices that run Google software. If it weren't for Samsung, the reputation of Android would be piss garbage for poor idiots (which it mostly is now). At least Samsung manufactures an Android device that people want.

Eh, Samsung fucks with Android by far the most and really makes using it much more frustrating than other OEM devices, especially with all the Samsung account crap.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Have you used a recent Samsung device? The Samsung account stuff is really not frustrating at all, that's an odd stance to take.

vvvv gently caress you i'm normal

The main issue is poo poo like... for example, my sister tried to upgrade her S5 to an S7. Sorry, turns out Samsung turned off contacts syncing to your google account by default because they wanted to you sign in with your Samsung account and sync to there even though it's a horrible service!

Little bullshit like that just makes the whole experience more painful.

LastInLine posted:

I'm not saying that's not true, but the fact is that none of those manufacturers are making desirable* devices. Samsung turns a profit making devices that people want to buy. No one else does that.

Desirable by normal people, not people in this thread.

True for a lot of devices, but I don't think they're that much superior for the consumer than some of the other better OEM devices so much as just much better branded and marketed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Everything I've seen about Magenta looks like it's designed for embedded devices and is part of google's automation and device plans. Probably'll end up powering Chromecast dongle v3 and devices like that (at the moment they're running a heavily modified stripped down Android)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 17, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'd be happy to switch if it used Allo when both numbers had Allo and SMS when not. So it could just seamlessly replace messenger without me having to do anything.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Edit: sorry, missed page.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Uthor posted:

I just upload my high res photos to Dropbox or OneDrive and SMS/Facebook Message/email out a link. Everyone can figure out what to do with them after that.

Dear Dropbox, please maintain a fork of messenger which automatically and seamlessly uploads media to a public folder and puts a link in the message when you want to send a multimedia message.

Actually, scratch that. Dear Google Android, please write an API which allows applications like Dropbox, Onedrive or Google Drive to register themselves as public hosting providers with the android device and then build this functionality as an option into messenger itself, using your default public hosting provider if you have one installed (preferably with link expiry options and whatnot) (and asking if you want to shrink large photos)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 24, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is Huawei gonna make a NotNexus 6P2? You'd think the reception to the 6P would've convinced them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A next-gen replacement of the 6P without the Nexus branding but the same design and features and style and whatnot. Continue the line.