Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

My Nexus 5 has 32GB of storage, so 24GB after the OS. Right now I have 2GB of storage in use that isn't caches or app data.

What am I even doing? Living in America in 2015 where wifi and LTE coverage is ubiquitous and cheap.

Android takes up 8gb on the nexus 5? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Are two clocks not still the default on every Android device? Does GNL not default with a clock widget?

Also, is the Note 4 only sold with that disgusting fake leather back?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Should it even be physically possible for a device doing literally nothing to lose 22% battery per day? This is a Sprint Moto X on airplane mode with wifi off during deep sleep (not my primary device), and only Nova Launcher installed. I literally only use this device to listen to music in the shower once in a while.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

But everyone in the world agrees that people who matter work 9am to 5pm.

I say this as someone who has never worked a day shift in my life. In fact, as someone who has never worked day shift it has become second nature to avoid exactly this sort of disruption since it's pretty common that computers and applications assume you're an adult with a M-F, 9-5 schedule.

Aren't you and ~*your wife*~ like 60? How have you managed to go your entire life without working a day shift? What line of work are you in? I'm genuinely curious.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Is the Moto X (2014) a big enough upgrade from the Moto X (2013) to bother with the hassle of trying to sell the '13 and pay an additional $200+ on top of that, or is it mostly a screen size increase and slightly better internals?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

I'll put it like this: I had the 2014 for a week or so and returned it because it was too large. I went back to my 2013. While there was speed/smoothness improvements, it wasn't mind blowing or anything.

Well you're one of the few goons who I trust so I'll just stick with the '13 and hope the '15 has wireless charging and isn't six inches.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

b0nes posted:

Animated wallpapers have been around since android 2.1

He was coming from an iPhone. Not sure why you had to address this two days and two pages later.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

They've never ever failed me but I've also never used the Voice app's notifications and instead relied on the email to GMail to be the notification. I never understood why I'd want the VM notification anyway--I've got a missed call notification, an email notification from Google Voice, and now a Hangout notification which works fine too. Why do I want the app to trigger one too?

Half the time I have no interest in the VM anyway. I know who called me and that they want to talk to me, I usually just call them back if it's within a reasonable time window.

You never get calls from unknown numbers? That's all I get these days.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Never. Sounds like you got thrown on some database.

The downside to being on Cricket v:shobon:v

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Registration to get $140 off a Moto X is live now.

https://perfectpairing-2015.appspot.com/

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I had no idea there were options beyond always or Wi-Fi only. Where was this time based option hidden?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

r0ck0 posted:

I have so much grip tape on my phone I can't even get it out of my pocket.

It's not grippy enough if you can't just stick it to the outside of your pants.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Grimson posted:

Where can you get a good AT&T Moto X 2013 these days? It seems like all the reputable sellers with a good stock that were on e-bay previously have disappeared.

I searched "Moto X" on ebay and I see tons of reputable sellers selling both colors for right around $200.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Captain Yossarian posted:

Moto X 2013 looks interesting! Any suggested retailer to look at? Amazon has a ton of different listings!

Get a Moto X for about $200 new on eBay, then ditch Sprint and sign up on Cricket for $35 a month.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 19, 2015

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I think I've heard people say that wiping the cache in recovery sometimes fixes issues on the Nexus 5 on Lollipop. Might be worth a try before doing a full factory reset.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

It's the Vista between XP and 7.

I thought Gingerbread was the Vista of Android.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Ugh I meant Honeycomb was Vista. I'm not good at posting.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hooah posted:

Google Now is still being stupid and thinking my work location is not where Maps knows it is. Is there any way to fix this? If not, it's off to the fun Google Groups I go.

The address is set correctly in the Google Now settings?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Did the 2013 N7 not get 5.1 because it wasn't experiencing issues with 5.02? Android 5.1 is more than just bugfixes isn't it?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Braves fans gonna be constantly complaining about their dead batteries.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Ugh I am about to leave the country for 2 weeks and they're pushing out 5.1 for the X finally? I just love upgrading the OS on my devices a week before I will be relying on them to get me around a crowded city. Apparently to turn off OTA updates, you have to root the device?

5.1 is for the 2014 Moto X, not the 2013. 5.02 is due out for the 2013 soon though so I suppose your concerns are still valid.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Guys I just got this brand new car, and I've already ripped out a ton of poo poo from under the hood. Can anyone recommend other things to remove so that my car runs correctly?

:iiaca:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I keep seeing people recommend the Moto E, and maybe that's fine for grandma who never installs any apps, but ~2.5 gb for apps seems extremely limiting these days.

Edit: apparently the 2nd gen is 8 gb. Disregard then.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I just do not understand this thread. When the Galaxy Note Edge was announced last year, everyone called it a dumb gimmick and made fun of it relentlessly. Now everyone is fawning over the S6 Edge. What is so different this time that makes this one so great?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Skeezy posted:

For one the Galaxy Note Edge had its Edge screen be a separate thing. The S6 Edge is one full screen with edges on it so it looks much better.

I was not aware of that. Interesting.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

MaxDuo posted:

Huh, I was thinking super cheap meant more like $350 or so, most places seem to be showing it for (edit)$400 or $500. But it's nothing like what dissss is finding. If it's $260 with coupon I'd probably hold off a little while longer at the moment still, depending on how good or lovely my Droid4 is acting for the day. I really will miss having a physical keyboard as it's so much easier to just send something quick and fast as gently caress without even looking at the phone. But those days are never coming back unless somehow it becomes some weird fad in the future out of nowhere.
*(edit: I had found it for $500 then saw it $400 so I guess Verizon's just being more expensive, that's where I first looked when I googled it)

It's $360 after coupon unless you're on Republic Wireless.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

TenaciousTomato posted:

bold statement

correct statement :colbert:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

That's cute.

You have exactly 1000 unread emails :raise:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Dirk Funk posted:

What will do it without damaging the glass.

Pencil eraser and forehead grease?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Some of us don't want huge phones sticking out of our pants pockets, rubbing against our studded belts.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

teagone posted:

People like me, my mom, and my dad. I rarely break 1GB of data since I'm on wifi most of the time. Hoping Project Fi eventually gets some kind of family plan package though. I look forward to it being compatible with the Moto G and Moto E too.

I'd rather pay the extra $5 to Cricket to get AT&T service than to be stuck with Sprint and T-Mobile though. Plus you get an extra 1.5 gb.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hotsauce posted:

The Goon darling 2014 Moto X is $249 shipped on eBay (good seller):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191553354967

Unlocked 32 gig AT&T version. Swappa is upwards of $360, so this is a solid deal. Used it looks like, but it's $249.

According to the description, this is 16gb AND 32gb and has a 4.7" screen AND a 5.2" screen. Despite all that, against my better judgement, I bought it anyway. :negative:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

What in the hell is the point of bot checking something that sends a survey every couple days at max and pays out cents at a time? I don't doubt that's what they're doing, but it doesn't make much sense.

Because they want truthful answers, and bots can't answer truthfully.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Stick100 posted:

The $250 2014 Moto X is a freaking great deal.

A freaking great deal that won't work on Verizon.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I'll admit I laughed out loud at this.

The main reason I don't use the Google stock keyboard is because of the profanity problems which is also why I don't use dictation since the Swype keyboard doesn't have a button for Google's voice input.

The built-in voice engine in Swype really isn't that bad anymore. I use it all the time.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Is Smart Lock supposed to keep the Location icon in the notification bar all the time when you're at a trusted location?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Well then, I've got a problem :raise:

Upgraded to a 2014 Moto X Pure Edition yesterday, but all of my apps are the same as I've been using for months. I checked the Location settings and the only thing with High Battery Use is the Moto app for some reason. It has persisted through a reboot.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Reverse Centaur posted:

The way the Nexus 6 took away easy phone mute is driving me crazy. My wife has an amazing ability to start texting me like crazy right as the client (essentially my boss) is near, making my watch and phone buzz incessantly, and making it look like i do nothing but text all day even though that was the first time I touched it.

I know there's a priority mode but guess what my wife is considered a priority. I actually have to give her times when she's not allowed to text instead of just putting it on silent like I used to.

Can't you set it on Vibrate or None instead of Priority?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

PitViper posted:

Say I wanted to buy a Moto X and use it on Verizon. Do I select the Verizon version, or the Pure version? What is the difference between the two? The screen on my Droid Maxx HD has a crack, and I'm thinking the 2015 X might be a good upgrade when it eventually hits. Assuming I can get similar battery life to the Maxx HD, because I'm rather enjoying not having to plug in at all during the day.

If it doesn't say Verizon all over the phone, you can't use it on Verizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

nerve posted:

What kind of apps are you strange people using where the settings are even remotely difficult to find?

Snapchat. Which is annoying because Snapchat defaults to audible notifications off, vibrate off, turn screen on when message arrives.