Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Why do people hate in screen fingerprint readers? Are they bad on stuff that isn't Samsung? It wasn't perfect back on the note 10 for me I've literally never had a misread after 2 years on s21 ultra (that wasn't caused by accidentally missing most of the scanner)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Try the normal sized s22 or s23 next month probably. Samsung used to be garbage with their lovely UI and bloatware but they have been great since around the s8.

Feels so weird to say s8 when we're on s23 next month.

But yea, Samsung makes good hardware and software these days imo

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

VostokProgram posted:

Re fingerprints sensor chat: I was having trouble with my P7, until I registered each thumb twice as if they were different fingers. Now it works well

I read this wrong and was thinking 'but they are different fingers?' but then I got it

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Did Samsung change the fingerprint reader in the S22? And does Google suck at it too. Or whats going on. Cause this isn't hyperbole, I've literally never had an issue on my S21 ultra in 2 years, except for when I put my finger in the wrong place which is not the phones fault.

Are some people just bad at using it? Or does it not work properly for some skin tones or something like that? Genuine question, its just so weird to see people rail against something that is great. I would hate to lose in screen fingerprint reader for something dumb like face ID or going back to the back of the phone (just my opinion, man)

Forgive the poo poo quality, I used my ipad to record this. This is me unlocking my phone 4 or 5 times in a row, not sped up. Seems as a looping gif it looks like one attempt.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
This is a weird complaint. What are you losing half a second to unlock your phone when it's face up instead of on the way out of your pocket?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

K8.0 posted:

a front sensor that requires you to tap the display, wait for it to turn on, visually confirm the location.

Google doesn't have an option like Samsung to always have the fingerprint sensor on even if screen is off? You don't see the little icon saying where to put your finger but eventually you should learn where it is.

Which leads to the next thing, why are you always visually confirming its location? Is the phone brand new to you? If so you should eventually get used to it.

I hardly ever turn on my screen to unlock and I can do it without looking at my screen.

Setting on Samsung

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

K8.0 posted:

I care that idiots have made my life measurably and noticeably worse much more than I care who specifically those idiots are. And I simply do not believe anyone who says they have a better experience with a front sensor.

Lol gently caress you too man

Also you don't believe that people's experiences are different to yours? Are you trolling?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

K8.0 posted:

Of course people have different experiences. I just trust what I've consistently seen a lot more than what a thread known for being a Pixel hugbox says. If someone wants to show me a comparison video with a real-life scenario where unlocking a phone with a front sensor is even competitive with a rear sensor, I'm very open to it. Don't take it so personally. On virtually any subject there are tons of people out there who believe you genuinely think things and are simply wrong with your perception.

I'm not taking anything personally just thought you were calling us all idiots. :v:

Ive never had a pixel fwiw, I speak only of the galaxy series which as you said has great fingerprint reading

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
https://www.makeuseof.com/galaxy-s-vs-galaxy-a/

Before seeing this I would say S series as it's the flagship and A is midrange. But it looks like A will get the same length of updates and has SD slots?

Personally I'd still go with the S series as the hardware is better and it will probably work with those updates longer without getting sluggish. But this is just my opinion, I don't have any factual data that says the A series will perform worse later.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
The Google camera app doesn't just detect a document and offer a scan button like Samsung? They should add that, it's pretty useful

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Is bloat useful features or anything besides taking a picture? No to Bixby vision and ar zone yes to scanning in camera so I don't have to open another app. My camera is hot key accessible and right in my nav bar, Google drive isnt

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
At least once a year but that other guy scans stuff all the time

Honestly, I would probably just take a pic of the stuff I scan but the camera offering to take a scan reminds me that's a thing I can do and is better.

Personally I'm for more options, as long as I can disable the crap I don't want

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I've got a US s21 ultra so maybe it's different but my battery is OK

Not sure what you mean about the customization cause I don't really change icons or anything like that on my phone except the wallpaper and lock screen video sometimes and I just find those on the internet.

The good lock app offers some cool things you can change, like the way your recent apps look and stuff. But it's weird cause the app has a bunch of sub apps you gotta get to do different things.

https://apps.samsung.com/appquery/appDetail.as?appId=com.samsung.android.goodlock

Can confirm the Samsung store is garbage though, I have to use it for my watch and it sucks

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Just pre-ordered 2 S23 Ultras from Fi. They have a really good deal for existing customers, 600 dollars off teh 512GB version so its 25 a month. Plus, trading in the old S21 Ultra so the new phone will be 100 bucks.

I just hope I don't regret trading it in. Last time I sent them a phone they said they didn't get it and I had to fight them and say how the Fedex tracking said they accepted it. Then they went and found it magically.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I love the s21, just hope the screen on the new one doesn't scratch as easily. Also super psyched to have a s pen again

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I wonder if its caching pages in the background, is that a thing? Or just really out of control ads. You could try this: data saver mode on chrome

quote:

On either iOS or Android, you can reduce your data usage from Chrome up to 50%.

Open Chrome -> Click on the menu (vertical button with three dots on top right) -> Select Settings -> Reduce data usage / Data Saver -> slide it “ON”

(On older Chrome version: Open Chrome -> Click on the menu (vertical button with three dots on the right) -> “More” -> Select Settings -> Reduce data usage -> slide it “ON” )

also as far as supposedly being on Wifi, when I got my s21 years ago I had an issue with stuff using data when I was on wifi and there was a smart wifi setting that used cell data if the phone thought the wifi wasn't good enough. Once I disabled that it was better. Not sure if thats a default android setting or a Samsung one but its something to look for.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

John Lee posted:

Apparently they cut this poo poo out last year:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/2/23/22947441/google-lite-mode-data-saver-chrome-android-discontinued

Ballsy move for a company that charges ten bucks a gig on their non-unlimited plan!

Oh dumb. Could try brave browser and see if it helps since it natively blocks a bunch of garbage

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I wanna get a tempered glass protector for my s23 if I can find a good one.

I've got one on all my devices, iPad, all my 3dses, switches, steam deck. Can't even tell they're there if they're applied properly

Definitely want one cause my s21 screen has a ton of tiny scratches you can't see unless the screen is off and in the right light. No idea where they come from. I've never put my phone in a pocket with anything else, or put anything on the screen. I think the screen is just really susceptible to tiny scratches

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Busy Bee posted:

Does the fingerprint scanner still work with a glass protector?

The S20 line came with it's own screen protector already applied. Did the S21 and onwards not have one?

I haven't got one yet, but Samsung sells one (tempered glass) so I assume it works with the scanner

As for the built-in film protector, yea I vaguely remember peeling that off and then reading that it was supposed to be a screen protector. But I dislike those film ones anyway

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Busy Bee posted:

I didn't know that Samsung sold one and I can't find it on their website. Do you have a link you can share because I'm also interested in getting one.

You know, I thought it was this because it's 15 bucks but looking at the picture I'm not sure. They show it folding, like film. But the application method looks like tempered glass. https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mobile-accessories/phones/galaxy-s23-ultra-screen-protector-ef-us918ctegus/

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Forgive my ignorance, what is the purpose of a magsafe case? I looked it up and it's a proprietary apple charging technology? But I guess you can add different accessories to the back?

Does anyone have any experience with official Samsung cases from their site? I've used spigen since the galaxy s7 but I really like one of the cases they have coming out for the s23. Are they good or just overpriced trash?

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mobile-accessories/phones/galaxy-s23-ultra-clear-gadget-case-ef-xs918ctegus/

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
That's so strange. I have 3 apps that are pending update, their updates came out: 1 updated yesterday, 1 two days ago and 1 Jan 16th. Play store says I have 348 apps and games installed (I never uninstall anything, don't judge me) and a dozen of them updated yesterday and more the day before that. I open the play store once every couple weeks to find a new game and give up usually after a minute of looking through garbage so I'm not triggering it inadvertently.

I wonder why your phones are acting like that. I have an s21 for what it's worth. My phone does a thing where it puts apps to sleep if I don't open them in a while and Google play is not on that list, not sure if that is an Android or Samsung feature, if the former then maybe something to check

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

fyallm posted:

Also, put the fingerprint scanner back on the back

Absolutely

not

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Endless debate that is. Just search fingerprint front or back in this thread and you'll find a dozen pages of debate on it.

Fi shipped my 2 s23u phones. But apparently from different starting points cause both were supposed to be here today and 1 arrived but the other one has a weather exception with no indication of when it will actually be delivered :saddumb:

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I got my S23+ yesterday and it's great but it restarted unprompted overnight and just now in front of me while I wasn't using it, should I be worried?

Nothing is installing or updating and auto-optimazation is off, I just look down and the big SAMSUNG GALAXY text comes on screen and I have enter my password because I can use it because it restarted

Yikes, yea that would worry me. Sometimes I'll have reboots when it gets too hot or just gets locked up and uses too much ram or something. But that's infrequent, like once or twice a year.

The only time I can remember random regular reboots was back when I did custom roms and that was just part of life. No gps and my phone rebooting into a boot loop every hour

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

amenenema posted:

I just don't understand why people buy anything other than a Pixel or iPhone.

I've had s7, s8, note 10, and s21

I've literally never had any issues that made me regret that

Bout to have an s23 so maybe that will change, but depending on how the issue is handled, if it affects me, I'll probably keep on Samsunging cause I like em

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I wonder if resetting and smart switching again or just restoring from backup could help. I've been using my s23u about 24 hours and no random reboots and my wife's about 12 hours with none either. Guess it could be hardware related, but hopefully something software you can fix on your own.

Question about the wireless android auto adapters. Is Motorola the one to get or is one of those random Chinese ones on Amazon good?

Getting sick of fiddling with cables and disconnecting and then replacing cables yearly cause even the best steel braided cable can't stand up to constant unplugging and bending and stuff in my experience.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Battery manager said something called currents kept crashing and I don't know what that is or use it so I uninstalled it and my phone has stopped rebooting on its own

Oh interesting. Currents popped up after my migration and said it was having issues do I wanna clear cache and said yea. And I haven't had any issues

Was the battery getting hot or anything? Cause it could lead to the phone rebooting if an app is making some part of it overheat which really isn't a surprise flaw in Samsungs stuff and just a way to stop the phone from killing itself when an app is having issues or too demanding

Resdfru fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 20, 2023

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I'm 99% sure you can't export signal from the desktop version. It should continue to work even if the phone is off but if you go clicking near the link to a phone option and it removes your old phone you're gonna be stuck without it.

Not sure about whatsapp

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Ive been using a S21 ultra for the past few years, it had a big bulky wallet style case so I could put the spen in it. drat does it feel good to use the s23 with a slim spigen case.

Really impressed with the phone. No weird software issues yet

Same except I left my spen at home. But love having it with me all the time now. 21u to 23u seemed like a pointless upgrade but the subtle differences like battery life and performance is nice.

My 21u had a bunch of micro scratches so I got a tpu film protector from samsung thinking it would be better than some no name off Amazon but it seems it has the same issues tpu had a decade ago last time I used it. Annoying bubbles, probably gonna remove it. Wish they had tempered glass ones like I use on all my other devices.

Has anyone used one of those really thin pop socket alikes? Snap or oh snap or whatever it's called? I like having a pop socket for holding the phone one handed but I can't stand being unable to lay it flat.

Alternatively has anyone used a good magsafe case for the s23u (or other android phone)?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Wouldn't the reason samsung has a store is to make money getting a cut of the sales from it and the reason their own apps are there rather than Google play is cause its a way to force Samsung phone users into their store every now and then?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Uthor posted:

I always hated Samsung flipping the location of the back button, but with gestures replacing buttons...

That's stock settings above. Good Lock just let's you do whatever to the bar like add buttons to it or change all the buttons into emoji or whatever

Resdfru fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 1, 2023

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I won't disagree with any of your points about Good Lock. The name is weird and the modules are bizarrely organized and named. I don't mind that it's in a different app, because they don't want to overload the average user with a bunch of poo poo they don't need or want but drat I wish it was just one app and all the redundant modules were put together

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Maybe I'm weird but I don't think I would ever notice if someone else was using an unreleased phone if they were using it and not actively showing it to me. Like I don't know phones that well and even if I did I don't try to look at other people's phones when they're using them

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Is that that liquid screen protector stuff? Can that come off if you don't like it? I put a Samsung brand tpu film on my s23u and it lasted 2 days before I took it off. Some of the bubbles went away but it still had too many to be usable

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
That uses Bluetooth? I used on my s21 back when it was one of the few that supported it and my desktop pc didn't have Bluetooth. Is that something different? It let me see and control my phone from my computer

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I don't think I knew you could bulk install apps.

Since the s23 has been out for a bit, has anyone found a magsafe case that is good and doesn't mess with the spen?

Seems magsafe for android is not really gonna be a thing but I want a phone grip for most of the time but I hate when my phone doesn't lay flat the rest of the time.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I have bixby routines set up and bixby has never popped up. I couldn't tell you how to summon bixby if I wanted to

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Draw and color stuff in penup when you're bored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Its for managing storage and stuff if you pay for storage. Tells you what's used, where it's used, gives you access to One subscriber benefits like VPN or whatever. Here's what it looks like logged in