Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I don't suppose there's any way to leverage a Verizon upgrade into a Nexus phone? I haven't kept up with new phones since I got my Razr Droid Maxx HD two years ago. I'm broke and I'd like to keep it except it recently started disconnecting the SIM card all the time. Every time I want to call or text I have to reboot and I have maybe an hour before it will disconnect again. I have an upgrade so I figure I pretty much need a new phone (unless someone has an idea for how to fix it... I've tried re-inserting the SIM card, can't think of anything else to try). What's good these days on Verizon? Battery life is my #1 concern, don't care about the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Is there such a thing as a thin-profile headphone jack extender for working around stupid cases and stupid plugs?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Strange question. I was recording a video on my Galaxy Note 4, and I pressed stop to finish. Everything seemed fine but I guess it was still processing. I switched to my podcast app and started listening, then maybe 15 seconds later my phone shut itself down due to running out of battery. It was at 26% when I started filming and the video was 2 minutes so I wasn't expecting it to be an issue.

Anyways, just charged and booted back up. The video is in Gallery without a thumbnail and playing it tells me "Can't play this file". Going through Google Photos is similar: I don't get an error message, just indefinite spinny thing.

Is there any way I can fix this video? I was documenting myself taking the punishment for a lost bet and I really don't want to do it again.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Sounds like the video wasn't finished being processed, no idea if there's anyway to fix it but I'd guess it's just corrupted for good. I kinda hope it is, so that you have to chug those beers (or whatever) again :)

I got most of it back with some freeware video editing tool. Ha!

Still 5 beers left though.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

3) The Apps section, oh my god. :catstare: On Windows Phone, if you want to see the apps that aren't on your dashboard, all you have to do is swipe to the left, and you will see an alphabetized list of apps -- you can click a letter to open an alphabet screen, then click the letter of the alphabet that the app you want is in. It is quick and simple, which is funny considering how little app support Windows Phone even has. On Android, I have to scroll all the way through a grid of thumbnails, and it is HEINOUS.

Try Action Launcher.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Anyone else charge their phone with a Chromebook USB-C cable? So far no issues but now I'm wondering if that's a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I use Bluetooth airbuds and they are getting somewhat unreliable. When I first turn them on they only connect in call mode. I have to go into BT settings and switch the slider for media. Even then it sometimes takes three or four tries. it is also pretty reliable to turn them off and back on and usually the second time they will connect for calls as well as media. Any idea why and how I can improve the situation? They are Jabra Elite Actives (which I otherwise would recommend).