Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I hope Google's going to release 5.0.2, which should contain that fix for the memory leak, any time soon. The need to reboot the phone gets annoying. That they're not hotfixing this is frankly ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Lblitzer posted:

It may be a long time if ever. Whoever develops Xposed said it operates completely differently from Dalvik
In Dalvik, it could mess around with the bytecode and force the JIT to recompile the functions. With ART, the apps are compiled during installation.

I suppose you could go the *nix way, as is used on the iPhone with apps like Winterboard, to preload ELF libraries to override functions, but that entirely depends on whether the ART compiler generates cleartext symbols.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is there another Play Services update out that's buggy again? I keep having battery drain issues lately on my N5.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

LastInLine posted:

It's the biggest drain on my N5 right now too with 38 minutes of awake time overnight so it's not just you.
It's getting tiresome to have every other update turn into a battery lottery.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Awesome, now Wifi broke on my N5. I loving hate Android.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Is it the one where the wifi won't turn on after using the hotspot? The status gets stuck at "Turning on Wi-Fi" or something like that?
Turns on and connects to either of my APs apparently, but then it doesn't fetch an IP address from DHCP, nor does setting a static one work. I end up with the Wifi symbol and the exclamation mark (--edit: reboots didn't help). I factory reset the thing, now it works again. Of course, such bugs always happen at the dumbest times.

Me: I want to paint a room, lets get the phone and stream some random music!
N5: :toot:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 12, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently the Snapdragon 810 thermals are indeed loving terrible.

https://plus.google.com/113781386215450614303/posts/1dQ2qRvCBjC

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Regarding battery life, if the viable competition wasn't that expense, I'd stop recommending Android. I get plenty of questions lately about friends phones having irregular poo poo battery life, and it turns out to be Play Services or Android OS wakelocking all the time. This is getting tiring.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hmm, there's rumors going around that LG is going to make another Nexus. If so, hope it's another rather minimalist design a la N5.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hace posted:

I can't wait for the new Nexus 7
I hope they roll another 5" device.

Who am I kidding...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

New Z4 is apparently a 5.1" device with 1080p and a Snapdragon 810. Depending on what the next Nexus turns out to be (I'm mildly optimistic if LG is indeed involved) and whether the 810 is a clusterfuck or not, this'll probably be my next one.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

spoof posted:

Aside from :samsung: is there a reason no one is really excited about the S6?
I simply don't like the external design of Samsung phones. Even with the S6, which took more cues from the iPhone, it just doesn't work. The diameter of the bends and rounded corners, the ratio between top and side bezels and such. They just look wrong to me. Plus the camera hump looks just tacky.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If Play Services keep going on loving with my battery life, I don't get around wiping the phone, right?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I can almost tell which place I'm at based on the steepness of the "idle" power draw (despite full bars) from the Play Services. For Google's reputation of hiring only elite software engineers, this being a persistent issue for God knows how many releases is pretty disappointing.

--edit: toned down.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 8, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

This should help fix your problems. Great reviews, >4 stars average rating.
Looking at the description and screenshots, the only thing going through my mind is "Hell no!"

Also, I saw talk about it here on the same page in this thread.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Regarding the Snapdragon 808, it comes with two A57 cores and four A53 ones. Is that still a big.LITTLE configuration? Because it's asymmetric. Or will Android use all six cores eventually? Or will it end up scheduling two A57 and two A53?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently the current version of ART is a placeholder?

http://www.androidauthority.com/art-optimizing-compiler-605011/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is it actually possible to move app purchases from one account to another? I have a Google Apps account that I'd like to close, and I've plenty of purchases tied to it, which I'd like to move to a regular Gmail account.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Rastor posted:

I doubt that's ever going to happen. Do let me know if I'm wrong though.
I guess I'll just change the MX entries on my domain and hope that the Google Apps accounts won't get shutdown for inactivity or some poo poo like that (I can see Google go "what, no mails or even spam the last six months? THIS CANNOT STAND!").

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

In regards to Brillo, I suppose we can't expect a home automation interface from Google? Haven't seen the keynote.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

berzerker posted:

Hmm, I just tried putting it on "device only" mode, which uses just the GPS and not the cell antennas, and now Google Maps isn't see anything either. I wonder if my actual GPS is busted and it's just been getting by on the Wifi + cell antennas for a while without my noticing since I'm in a city, so there are a lot of both types of signal.
Device only mode can take up to 20 minutes, if the device doesn't have orbital data, because then it has to download it via the GPS signal at a stunning 50 bits per second.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There's a stupid idiotic benchmark of the fabled Nexus 5 2015 going around. Given the numbers, it's obviously bullshit. Still, I'd finally like to see some tangible rumors whether LG will actually make one or not, and maybe some hints what it'll look like. Ideally before the Nexus 6 will be discontinued.

Tunga posted:

Does "Device only" definitely disable AGPS? I thought it just stopped using cell tower and Wi-Fi networks for location purposes.
I'm not sure, but the few times I tried it, I had the phone never get a signal under several minutes when starting GPS cold.

I think AGPS is just a nice umbrella term for software-assisted accelerated signal acquisition.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Nice. Hopefully the battery will be beyond 3Ah in the final specs, tho.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Logikv9 posted:

I don't know what to get because everything is bad and if I wasn't sticking with GV for my old number I would be strongly considering an iphone.
Everything is a compromise and the phone designs all look blargh. The leaked images of the Nexus 5 2015 rear look good and minimalistic enough, but I'm sure they're loving over the front with some big rear end bezel as already speculated based on leaked specs.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Eh, I can live with that. Given that the roll-off of the bump is relatively shallow (--edit: smooth, whatever), it looks OK to me. Less gaudy than the Samsung camera bump. The metallic circle of the fingerprint scanner is kind of a sore spot, wish it was plastic the same color of the backplate.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 17, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The thickness claimed in the leaked specs better exclude the camera bump. Would be a drat shame if battery capacity suffers because of limp-wristed sissies that keep wanting thin phones (god, I still remember the drama about the thickness and weight of the Nokia Lumia 920).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh yeah, now I see it. 9.8m for the bump, 8mm for the back.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Seems like the Nexus 5 2015 has a thin bezel after all. The first speculated renders based display size vs. supposed case dimensions suggested rather a thick one.

https://twitter.com/OnLeaks/status/636907568489721856

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

bull3964 posted:

In case anyone was wondering the details on how QC 3.0 differs from QC 2.0.

:words:
Uhm, how many cells do smartphone LiPo have that you can put up to 20V into them?!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Red Warrior posted:

Android Police think that it will be like the LG G4 and the 16GB model will have 2GB and the 32GB will have 3GB. Hope so.
The hell?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm currently not so sure what to think about the 6P. In black it looks less offensive than the variations with lighter color bodies. However there's no indication as to how they're dealing with the 810. Sony was being hilarious and put heat pipes in their Z5 Premium.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently the Nexus 6P has a 3450mah battery.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The Nexus 6P also has a metal unibody so that probably means no Qi.
And probably acts as heatsink. I have that Lumia 930 and it's sinking the heat into the aluminium frame, which makes it annoyingly warm to hold.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Nexus 6P apparently got AMOLED, too.

Also, if these pictures are true, it's very low bezel.

https://imgur.com/a/3Lq75

--edit: Nevermind, it was a Moto Nexus 6.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 27, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ugh, only UK and Ireland open for preorders. I doubt the Google Store will send them elsewhere in Europe.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ulvir posted:

I'm not liking the preorder news, but not selling them elsewhere in Europe later on sounds a bit strange when we've been able to buy a Nexus 6 from Norway on there. Why opt for less availability? :ohdear:

Just gotta wait and see after the presentation tomorrow, I guess ...
If they're not going to release it EU-wide at all, I'll be ordering at some UK outlet. Plenty of phones were gotten via Handtec.co.uk before.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Here I was fretting over the 2GB on the 5X and the 3GB on the 6P, when I reminded myself that these phones don't have dedicated graphics memory and that the display and intermediary surfaces of the 6P are 80% bigger, probably gobbling up much of that additional RAM.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Just caught up on all this Nexus stuff. Of course, my country has an email signup wait list only. Also, no RGB LED on the 5X is a sin.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Wow, what the gently caress is this price disparity between the US and Europe? That's Adobe absurd levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Are there any known UK shops that sell internationally and let you preorder any of the new Nexuses? I'd like to preorder and forget all about it until the postman rings me out of bed.