Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
wrong thread

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Is there a significant usability difference between the S7 and 6P? I'm ready for a new phone and also thinking about switching to Fi (currently have a Galaxy S3 and Sprint SERO). I use between 1-2GB of data per month, so nothing crazy. I would consider myself a power user, I like to gently caress with things and install ROMs and poo poo but I'm at the point now where I just want a reliable phone that works but will still let me customize stuff (nova launcher, for example). I've really liked my S3 and like what Samsung is doing with the S7, but it's hard not to also consider the 6P.

I know people bitch about how lovely Sprint is, and while I don't love the company or the service, it's proven to be good enough in my area and I don't feel switching is required. I'd save some money by switching to Fi, but paying the full cost of the phone makes the difference negligible to me.

Any advice?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

It sounds like you don't have any strong opinions about Touchwiz, so it probably just comes down to which device you like the hardware on the most, the fact that the 6P is cheaper, and how much you value the greater potential of getting more OS updates for a longer period of time.

I'm not sure I've even used Touchwiz, I certainly don't remember forming an opinion of it. I've had CM or Slimkat on my S3 for as long as I can remember. Is Touchwiz more than just a launcher? I've been using nova launcher and would like to continue to use it. Do Sprint stores have the S7 on display yet?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Require More Fire posted:

Well, if you want to switch to Fi then your only option is the 6P; AFAIK Project Fi currently only works on the 2014 and 2015 Nexus models (so the 6, 5x, and 6p).

Yeah, I understand that, I think I'm at the point where my decision on what phone I get will determine if I switch over or not. I'm really torn. I think I'd be happy with either phone and with either service and no particular benefit is jumping out at me!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

nimper posted:

Yep. Almost to that point for me. Very close to pulling the trigger on a 6P and getting on Fi.

Why the 6P and not the S7? Just to get on Fi?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I had an idea while I was in the shower and I have no idea how to implement it. I get ideas all the time (or remember something I was supposed to do) while in the shower but I almost always forget by the time I get out and get dressed. I want to be able to yell something like one of the 'ok google' commands and have it respond, whether it's to send myself an email or make a note to do something. Short of mounting some android device to the ceiling outside the bathroom, is there any way to do something like that?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Great idea, I'll be watching for that!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Sprint Galaxy S7 Edge. I have been getting delayed texts, either 12, 24 or 36 hours later. I mean exactly 12, 24 or 36 hours later (to the minute!). I've rebooted my phone, and I just updated the PRL and profile just in case that has something to do with it. I'm not on wifi and normally have good to excellent coverage in my house. Is this a thing anybody else has encountered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Blue Train posted:

Probably a carrier problem rather than the phone

LastInLine posted:

Blue Train is right, this has to be a carrier thing. Your data connection is irrelevant unless you're using something oddball like Fi or Google Voice, SMS comes over the voice channel.

Cool, thanks guys!