Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

No screenshot but my Z1 managed to eke out 38889 in antutu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Should it even be physically possible for a device doing literally nothing to lose 22% battery per day? This is a Sprint Moto X on airplane mode with wifi off during deep sleep (not my primary device), and only Nova Launcher installed. I literally only use this device to listen to music in the shower once in a while.

My galaxy s which burnt through its battery in eight hours normally managed to get five days life per charge when I was holidaying in America and had all data off (except when on hotel WiFi). And that was with taking photos with it on a regular basis (took about five hundred or so).

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Not sure what dark magic Sony has wrought upon my Z1 but whilst it started with a decent battery life in the last few weeks had been burning through the whole thing in around 15hours. Come this week it's come good again; today it's been off charge for 9.5 hours with a decent amount of use (Facebook, Chrome, bluetooth music streaming to my car and messaging) and it's used 15%. Thank you, magic battery gods!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

*is Google Play Music*
*is on shuffle*
*plays the next 9 songs ordered exactly as listed on playlist*

My version's attempt at shuffle is "pick random song starting with the letter O and then just play them in order, occasionally intercutting them with a random song".

e: plays them in alphabetical order, I should say. Consistent bug, too.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Weird. Local music or streaming? All Access? I'm just curious because I've used Play Music heavily on Nexus 4, Nexus 5, and now LG G2, and have seen several bugs the past year or two (lock screen controls/album art lagging behind by one song, some connection issue where the app will keep trying to play a song and can't, etc), but never that.

Mine's happening (and has been for about six months) from my local files. I only noticed the pattern because I was driving a lot for work and had it connected to the car via BT and hence could watch the consistent pattern of the song titles. Whilst I do like those particular songs, it was pretty annoying to hear the exact same music every time I tried to listen to my Songs list on random (mostly because I irrationally hate organised playlists - random is the only way to listen to music!).

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I've been enjoying most of the functionality of 5.0.2 on my Xperia Z1 except for the way that it seems to use a huge amount of resources and closes things really aggressively. If I've got a podcast on when I'm in the car and I either try to get directions or even sometimes when a message/email comes through it kills the podcast. Is there any way to stop this happening?

Also the way that Chrome now mixes its tabs with the running programs is terrible and dramatically reduces functionality, at least for me. I'm not sure if I just can't see the right way but is there an easy way to switch tabs? It's also annoying how when you OpenInANewIncognitoTab a link and then Back out of it you now get dropped to the home screen rather than the referring website. It's useful to do this when using news websites whose articles are paywalled. It's not a huge usecase but it's now completely broken, so thanks Google!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

nimper posted:

Chrome settings:

Thanks! So much better! Wonder how many people prefer it the new way, it seems so hamfisted and useless.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I like it, but I wonder how many of the users who don't like it are ones that leave like 30 tabs open or something. Usually when I open a tab in chrome on my phone or tablet, I look up what I need to look up and just close it when I'm done.

I didn't like it because even with 3 tabs open they were scattered amongst everything else I had open on my switcher and took a non-negligible amount of time to find them, which is a drop in functionality for what appears to be no benefit. Also, it breaks the ability to open a link in a new tab and then use Back to close it dropping back to the previous tab, which is again a needless inconvenience.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The Nexus specs look awesome, but having gotten very used to having a waterproof phone it seems to be missing the one critical feature I require for it to be perfect :(. Any indications as to it having a decent IP rating?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Depths posted:

What are you people putting in your phones that can't be streamed?

Perhaps you should try living in a country with data limits that are low enough to preclude the option :rolleyes:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

Um what the gently caress? My Nexus 5 just factory reset itself while in my pocket.

edit: rebooting fixed it :ms:. Well that was a scary 30 seconds

My Z1 did this a few weeks ago with the same resolution. Weird.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

hooah posted:

So back to griping about the new Now for a bit... I don't care one way or another about the colors, but I do not like that you bow can only swipe cards away in one direction. Of course, it's the opposite direction from what I always did. I hope you lefties are happy! :argh:

Oh we are *cue evil laugh*

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Factory unlocked Samsung phones have no warranty in the US.

Wait, it's legal in America to sell phones and give no warranty? How does that work?

e: asking from Australia where we have relatively robust consumer protection laws that don't allow that.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Weird issue. I listen to podcasts via Bluetooth on my car stereo on the way to work but for some reason for weeks at a time my Z1 decides when I first connect it automatically to start playing a random Google Music track (at the moment it's trying to play the first bit of a Hemingway audiobook).

Any way to tell the phone not to start google Music when it notices it's connected to Bluetooth?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Make sure your play music queue is clear.

Ok I've cleared it, will see how it goes next drive. Weird that it was picking that track since I never added it to the queue, though.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Chalk up another victim of the "Android bluetooth and resuming playback in cars is a shitshow" with my Z1. Wonder if it'll be fixed with the Z5P I'm looking to buy in a couple of weeks...

of course it won't

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

OK can I get some recommendations or advice or whatnot, since I am incapable of making decisions on my own?

I've got an Xperia z1 at the moment, chosen primarily because I love a great battery life, camera and am uncoordinated so being waterproof was a great thing. All have turned out to be awesome, and I've been super happy with my choice.

Now my contract is almost up, I'm weighing up my choices. The z5 is an obvious choice. The z5P is too, mostly because I play a lot of ps4 and the remote play would be great (I love my wiiu and my wife watches a lot of reality TV). The 6p looks good, as does the edge+.

Help!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Just when I think I'm over being surprised by Google arbitrarily destroying good apps they manage to do it again. Good work, guys!

Why the gently caress would I want to use two apps to do the same thing one does perfectly well now? What magic extra features will make up for the convenience of having everything in one location, with merged conversations and a simple interface.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I now have my green z5 and it is awesome, although the remote play is weird. It seems to work OK but when I turn my controller on the connection with my ps4 drops out. Anyone else with this got any advice to improve the quality?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

Sounds like something going on with the PS4 handling multiple connected devices.

That's what I assume, but it's designed to do it so I'm not sure how to improve it.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah, I think I'd use my phone one handed about 95% of the time. It would poo poo me to have to use two hands for normal operation, and would be a massive deal breaker for me.

Also my z5 is awesome and I love it :). The store only had it in green so for my first phone in six years I don't have a boring black square (I hate using a case).

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Iirc they added the camera button on the z1, which allowed it to take photos underwater (the screen, as you'd expect, doesn't work properly underwater). Works great in the wet; I took heaps of photos and videos and it always came out great. I lived mine so much I just upgraded to a z5 and haven't looked back.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there much UI lag in the Z5? I know the Sony launcher isn't the best on my Z3C, but Nova runs like a champ and it's overall a nippy performer.

Pretty good so far. No interface lag and everything is zippy, even moreso with Nova. It's a little warm when doing a heap of stuff but not uncomfortably so. Weirdly, Facebook lags a bit when first run, which is a bit strange...

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Are you on 5.1.1 or the 6.0.1 Concept ROM?

5.1.1, it's done two software updates since I got it a few weeks ago.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I would kill for my phone not to just pick a random media app I've been using recently and start blaring it on my car stereo when it connects to it via Bluetooth. Yes, phone, I know I was listening to a track on Apple Music a few hours ago. Why the gently caress do you think it's a good idea to start that track from scratch when I get into my car? Normally I listen to Pocketcast in the car so I don't mind if that starts up automatically, but it's super annoying when that starts and then Google Music and/or Apple Music just cuts in over the top and starts playing as well.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

My wife's car loves to gently caress around with the volume of her and my phones when on bluetooth arbitrarily; hers is an iPhone 6S+ and mine's a Z5. Who knows why...

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I honestly can't imagine anyone who's used an android phone that considers the iOS notification pane good in any way. It's terrible in every way. The control centre is better but is filled with useless things that clutter it up for no reason. Both are the worst parts of the OS, right next to the illogical and scattered approach it takes to settings.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I'm just trying out Tapet and it's pretty cool, but is there a way to have it update the lockscreen wallpaper too? I'm using a Sony Z5 for reference.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

SwissCM posted:

I'm quite happy with my Sony Z5 compact :shobon:

I love my z5 and having played with my brother-in-law's compact I get why you'd like it.

Please note I am not in America so my experience may not be indicative of yours.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I agree with the people in the article - my experience talking to google now has been great, but I almost never use it, since it seems idiotic to be talking to my phone either in public or just around my family. When I'm by myself I'm slightly more likely to use it, but even then I'm more inclined to just use my finger as I'm more used to doing so.

Still works well, though.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I do have to kind of quizzically approach iOS when my family has issues, but usually the function is very discoverable. I have a lot of respect for Apple's design.

I don't mind a lot of their choices, but every single time I need to find things in iOS's broken settings system I remember why I don't own an iPhone.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I asked in the wear thread but didn't get a reply:

My Huawei watch connected to my Z5 via Bluetooth, obviously. Most mornings it goes nuts prompting me to allow them to pair again - is there some setting I'm missing that's causing them to time out their connection?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

MMS is perfectly fine when you're sending someone a quick photo or something when you're on the go - eg. when you don't care that it's a small compressed image. If you want to send a full res photo then obviously you'd want to use a different method.

There's more than one usecase out there, guys.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I like my sony it is pretty powerful and i can drop it in water without caring about it. it's also not a samsung which is nice

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Major Ryan posted:

Or is it just another half-baked Google idea that will be dropped again in another couple of years?

The correct answer.

I know a few people who work in different areas of Google in Sydney and Munich and apparently the culture inside is exactly what you'd expect, with everyone clamouring to make new things and literally nobody wanting to support anything existing. I love my Android phones (and watch), but gently caress they frustrate me sometimes.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The most annoying thing in Australia is that random pos terminals have NFC disabled for either amex or android pay for no reason. drat you Woolworths, Coles accepts my AP using my Amex, why won't you? You accept the amex...?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

MaxDuo posted:

I seem to recall 2 years ago wanting to get the newest Sony Xperia phone for some reason, at the suggestion of some goons on here. I ended up grabbing a refurbished phone for a while instead. Is the newest Xperia any good? Or is there supposed to be one coming out in several months? Or is it poo poo now?

Thinking I should upgrade to an actual new phone sometime in the next half year or so and just trying to figure out what the gently caress to get.

I went from a Z1 to my current Z5 and they're wonderful, albeit almost identical devices. I love the waterproofing and camera, the battery life is generally good, and I like my green phone colour.

ymmv, of course

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Catching up from a few pages ago, but is chip and signature really the current target for the US rather than chip and pin? Whose crazy idea is that?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The idea of anyone using signatures for payments in 2016 just boggles the mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Grumpwagon posted:

That is also the reasoning I've read in articles. "It's too big of a transition all at once"

Not saying it makes sense, but that's their publicly stated reason.

Here they were moved enough to just set a date for a few months down the track and just say "yeah, after this date signatures aren't accepted anywhere, get your poo poo together". Worked ok.

E: and this was like five years ago or something like that