Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

OG Nexus 7 (the WiFi-only version, anyway) now has 5.0.2 (LRX22G) available for sideload direct from Google. I don't know if it's available OTA; someone else will have to check that.

I can report that, at least as a :pt: sideload, it's finally ready for prime time (insofar as a 2012 Nexus 7 ROM can be).

Note that installing this the way that page tells you to will wipe goddamn everything, including the user storage.
The default flash-all.bat script always does that.
You can edit the file by the removing the "-w" tag to keep your data intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Skeezy posted:

I'm glad the Android thread remains the same. :downsbravo:
I seriously wish there was a no-sperglord version of this thread.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

kri kri posted:

For people who care and ordered a tylt vu during black friday, they emailed me that they got their shipment in, and my order is being processed and shipped next week.
Only a month after ordering.
Still, good news.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Z4/Z4c probably next phone if it retains the waterproof (likely) and adds qi (possible).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Hey!
My blue black friday Tylt Vu arrived. No tracking number email, just a random box.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Or you should have lived with the dumbass startup screen which you MIGHT see once a month.
I mean, I understand rooting a Nexus, its easy and fast. But why bother relocking it?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Bob A Feet posted:

Yup, got mine too. Its so nice not having to line up my phone on the charger
:allears:
Yup. Not sure which qi charger I'm taking to my desk at work though, the Vu or the lovely cheap 2 year old flat one. The vu is nicer but doesn't do a good job of charging my N7 (with how I have to orient the stand)

Be nice if the Vu had the front part but went straight down at that point instead of being so much deeper than it needs to be.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Skeezy posted:

We're finally hitting 4GB of ram on a phone. I don't know why you'd need that much but hey, here we are.
That phone has as much ram as the ultra books we give our employees. WTF.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Qi isn't involved, its the other two groups that are merging.

As for BLU, I have to laugh at that 5000mah battery phone having the buttons switched from the rest of the BLU line of phone being announced at the same time. Gotta be an error on one phone or another. The picture underneath big batter has the proper layout.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

5436 posted:

Cause I don't even need to charge before sleep, I can wake up, put in to quick charge, and take a shower, and im mostly good for the day.

If you take it to an extreme, if your phone charged in 5min, you'd never wirelessly charge (unless it was faster). You'd just plug it in for 5min and go. The faster the charger, the less need for wireless charging.
Or we can stop arguing and just want both (and a fuckoff huge battery) in our phones. Wireless charging is good, quick charging is good. Doing both would be better. Doing both at the same time (wirelessly quick charging) would be best.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 8, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Turnquiet posted:

I'm still waiting too, getting kinda antsy.
Mine showed up on monday/tuesday. Relax, it'll get there.
Amusingly, I still haven't been charged.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The whole thing is hilarious. A buddy of mine got a blue one during the sale. Finally game 2 weeks ago. They call him and offer him a free one to compensate for the long wait. Couple days later a different rep calls him and offers him a free one to compensate for the long wait. Now he's got 3 blue Vu's and hasn't been charged for the 1st. :v:
I wish they would call me to offer a free one.
Don't think I gave them a phone number though, I usually don't.

Is the n7 just not very good with the vu? It doesn't want to charge while standing upright on mine. Thus the vu is at work and my old qi pad is still trucking away at home.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Bob A Feet posted:

Wireless charging question. Any way to have it not turn on the screen on charger? I hate putting my phone on it in bed and illuminating my entire room.
Vu doesnt turn the screen on for my N5, though the qi pad I have it does. :shrug:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

nmfree posted:

They sent me an email today:

That doesn't seem sketchy at all!
Considering the wait time I'm not surprised. My card hasn't been charged and I got the charger a week ago.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Lblitzer posted:

It may be a long time if ever. Whoever develops Xposed said it operates completely differently from Dalvik
If I understand correctly the old runtime compiled the code as needed, which meant xposed could modify the code each time it ran. ART pre-compiles everything, so the sort of mods that xposed make are extremely difficult. That said, I think the dude noted he'd found a solution.
:shrug:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

FistEnergy posted:

I started catching up on the Sony Z4 release rumors in anticipation of March's MWC and it looks like the Z4 has been pushed back to summer, and the Z4 Compact to fall.
Source? This would make me sad.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

bull3964 posted:

You must be lying because Google Voice Voicemail notifications have never worked properly. Ever.
It's not that they don't work. I just get about 8 notifications each time I miss a call.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Lblitzer posted:

Does anyone else have an Air Dock? I got one from a fellow goon and was really looking forward to it but honestly I'm quite disappointed with it. I don't have room on my dash and it's illegal in MN to have anything on the windshield and it seems so far aways anyways so I got myself the CD slot mount. Well that broke after 5 minutes because of the weight of the charger and phone. Not too happy with it.
Mine has the long neck mount to the windshield. Works great. Don't think it's ever dropped my N5, though it once overheated the phone (hot day, doing nav and music streaming while charging).

Actually the biggest issue is I'll sometimes forget to grab my phone from it when I get home.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

My N5 on lollipop has issues, but not nearly as bad as what some people are reporting. I made it at least a couple weeks before having to restart from not being able to do maps+music at the same time.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Turnquiet posted:

It only took 3 months, lots of emails, sending a pdf of my credit card number so they could re-auth the charge, and another flurry of emails, but Tylt finally loving shipped the Vue I ordered on Thanksgiving Day. Anyone else still waiting on theirs? Jesus. I bet they wouldn't have bothered seeking re-auth on the credit card if I didn't follow up on it after month 2 of waiting. Fuckers.
I never did get charged for mine.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Edward IV posted:

Well, there is the Z4 and Z4 Compact which will have built-in Qi and a sealed USB port so that means no more having to muck around with flaps. However they probably won't be out until this summer or autumn.
Intel is mandating a wireless charging method for laptops coming out this fall. Supposedly it can handle 8 devices. I'm really rather hoping that gets adopted for everything instead of Qi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rezence_(wireless_charging_standard)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

isndl posted:

Do you have a source for that mandate? I can't find anything about it, just that Intel was showing off their plans for Skylake. And why do you prefer Rezence over Qi?

I wonder if a magnetic resonance charging system would gently caress over external hard drives. Solid state is approaching standard, but a lot of people still have externals for cheap bulk storage.
Well, "requesting" and most manufacturers have agreed to it. I don't have a solid preference, but if I can use the same pad/desk/whatever to charge both I'll be much happier than having separate chargers.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

No.

No one has even opened the app to find out if it works with their card.
I use wallet when buying stuff from the store, never touched it on my phone.

I think a portion of it is maturity. Apple may be late to the game, but they get partners setup to do everything seamlessly and without a word to the public so when they talk it all just (almost always) works.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Some M9 leaks
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/02/24/two-alleged-htc-one-m9-images-leak-courtesy-upleaks-video-teased-tomorrow/

Its interesting, to say the least.
The on-screen power button is a bit of a "What the gently caress were they thinking?", but who knows.

I'm still focusing on the Z4, but if it has wireless charging it'll at least be worth a look.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 24, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

zocio posted:

Quick question for people with wireless chargers, how severe / noticeable will the loss of efficiency will be if I use a 1 amp input on a charger that requires 1.5 amps?
It will either not charge at all or charge slower.
Why would you use a smaller ac wart than what it comes with?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Logikv9 posted:

Incredible for 2013-2014, you can't keep rehashing the same thing, not in this market anyway. It doesn't look bad, just dated.
Something is wrong when the differences between the M7 and the M9 are 80% internal.
Id rather they be 100% internal, at least then you could share cases.

Still waiting for the Z4 announcement.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

vyst posted:

I use the swipe fingerprint scanner on my galaxy s5 and I think it works great
Phones are a prime use case for big microSD, but gopros and the like are probably just as big.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

dissss posted:

Still having no Lollipop issues here.
Same

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

My N5 is getting rebooted maybe once a week. The difference afterwards is pretty noticeable.

For all the "wow lollipop will be amazing folks, trust us" talk before it came out, lollipop is definitely, um, questionable.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

On the N5 you can do OK Google on any screen, but only if the screen is on (or plugged in).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Nothing really The Best but...

Android Police does decent teardowns on APKs and OSes. They were the only site to call bullshit on the Sony Nexus render. It's confirmed that Googlers DO read Android Police as they found direct references to their website as a joke during a teardown of an APK. Also the EIC constantly trollbaited the poo poo out of TK Tech News on G+ and exposed him for the liar that TK Tech is.
Android Central is lovely garbage and should only be read if you want to laugh at their attempts to be cool and remain relevant. The only thing they're noteworthy for is being one of the first Android-blog sites. Other than that, they're pretty worthless as they haven't contributed anything to actual news. While AP will post a rumor and debunk it / use their personal experiences and facts to support it, AC will literally post a multipage article on "lol this is poo poo, you all know better, gently caress the other sites who believe or DARE to post. AC is the best."
Android Central's attitude it what drove me to replace their bookmark with Android Police's site.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

5.1 Images are out for N5. I'm grabbing it now.

No image posted yet for the N7(2013). Time to update both of my Nexii.

Edit: aaand flashed.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 10, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I forgot to update my saved settings for nova and tasker.
My last backup was November. :(
Took me 15 minutes to reset my tasker setting for gradually turning off my Hue lights at night.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Tunga posted:

Anyone ever seen this from fastboot?
code:
PS C:\Android\SDK\platform-tools> .\fastboot update .\hammerhead-lmy47d\image-hammerhead-lmy47d.zip
target reported max download size of 1073741824 bytes
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
failed to allocate 1046070000 bytes
error: update package missing system.img
PS C:\Android\SDK\platform-tools>
:shrug:

Edit: Obviously I checked that system.img is present, also tried re-downloading the entire image. I've never seen that "max download size" thing before.
Same message. I just extracted the images and flashed each component separately.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

If 5.1 allows you to not-encrypt (or hardware encrypt for almost no speed penalty) it might actually be worth upgrading from my N5 for.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Tunga posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, you can already choose not to encrypt a Nexus 5. Mandatory encryption only applies to devices that shipped with Lollipop.
Like a Nexus 6?
(I was responding to the post above mine about the N6. If you can decrypt the N6, or make it not have that giant performance hit, the N6 might be worth getting now).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

5.1 also destroyed my battery life today. Was at 6% when I got home, and thats after spending an hour+ on the qi charger during the day. Granted, I just added an exchange account and spent the whole day streaming all-access to my LG Tones, but it still should have been at 40% or so, not 6%.

Actually I don't think its a result of 5.1, I think its some app being a little bitch.
Still a pain, regardless. Phone is rather warm.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 12, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Sounds like its trying to switch to supercharge and failing for some reason.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Sounds like it was in fact the map obfuscation that was causing it. What bothers me about that is that it clearly demonstrates (at least at home) that it isn't using wifi as the main determinate for being home when that's easily the most reliable way to tell. That being said, you do have Location Services enabled with the mode set to High accuracy, correct? Also in Settings > Wifi > ⋮ > Advanced, you have Scanning always available turned on?
WiFi is really easy to spoof, so using WiFi as a way to unlock your phone is really dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

That's why it should just use your wifi as a trigger to get a high accuracy fix.

Additionally, people aren't generally worried about a tailored attack where someone spoofs your wifi and sets up a theft to steal your phone. They're worried about leaving their phone somewhere or someone they don't know stealing it.
As an IT worker targeted attacks scare me at least as much as randoms.