Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
My N5 screen is being held together literally with tape, my birthday is July 28, and OnPlus and Lenovo are both announcing phones on that day. Yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I use my phone for: reading emails and news, twitter/texting, occasional video when I'm bored, no real gaming or picture taking, and getting around a giant city. I want a phone that will do all of these things for a long time with the brightness up and the smartphone quality of life gadgets like location tracking on - without having to game it with Tasker or anything. I'm coming from a broken Nexus 5 where the glass is starting to flake off, and I've only ever really had stock Android since the One. I should get the Play over the Moto G, right?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

wooger posted:

You need to go back a few pages and read that Google plus post disparaging the Qualcomm 615 in the Play. Sounds like the big battery is to counteract the crappy chip.

Based on benchmarks, manufacturer claims, reviews and anecdotes, you want the Sony Z3 or Z3C.

That's $700 in Canada.

I may just take the plunge for a Moto X Style at that price. I was just hoping it would come here quicker. However, I can always get it shipped to a PO box in Buffalo!

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's down too $599 CAD now!

I was trying to stay below the $500 the Style would probably cost. The unconfirmed CPU problem on the Play worries me but I won't be buying it until detailed reviews come out. The Moto G may be my best bet, but I really want battery to not be a problem. Mostly because I wander through various levels of lovely service even in the city, and that can drain battery very fast.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

They won't be sending the 2gb ram Moto G to Canada. Bummer. I like it when the phone is really snappy.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Daily Forecast posted:

So I'm now home from work. About ten hours later, with 2h 4m of screen on time with heavy-moderate use during lunch and after work (videos, taking pictures to test the camera, etc), I'm sitting at 62%. Pretty drat nice.

Tell us how long it takes to charge, that was a point they made in the PocketNow review.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

I read a comment somewhere that said you could format SDcards as system space with Android M, is that true?

edit: five seconds of googling later: http://www.sammobile.com/2015/05/30/android-m-is-bringing-extensive-sd-card-support-at-a-very-ironic-time/

quote:

But now, with Android M, Google is introducing support for external storage in a way that no one would ever have thought possible – on Android M, the OS will adopt an SD card inserted into a device and treat it like internal storage, and allow users to install apps on the card.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

I'm holding onto my November 15 preorder of the 2xl but I'm hoping there is a fix or explanation. Might end up going Note 8 if not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Between razer essential one plus pixel and Samsung I'm feeling a little more spoiled for choice now than I did when I put in my preorder for the p2xl.

I really hope the screen doesn't bug me enough to consider something else but it wouldn't be the end of the world.