Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

When new Motorola phones are released on Thursday, off-contract prices of the current generation Moto X should drop, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The problem with distributing the primary filesystem onto the SD card is that it opens the possibility that files are split across the internal memory and the SD, possibly even system files, and if that flaky, unreliable SD card goes tits up the whole phone is hosed unless you reflash it.

Hypothetically the system could keep track of which disk addresses are on the NAND and not place system critical files outside it, but do we honestly expect Google not to gently caress that up somehow?

Plus, if data can be coming from either fast internal memory or slow SD card memory it makes it much harder to write a well-performing IO scheduler. Again, something I don't trust Google to get right on the first try.

The real answer is for manufacturers to stop releasing phones with <64 gigs of internal storage, but carriers are loving terrified of trying to convince consumers to pay the extra $50. I am stuck with only 32gigs in my Note 4 because US Cellular refuses to even stock the 64 gig version.
System files are stored on the system partition, so it's just a matter of ensuring the system partition is on the NAND. I agree about IO scheduling and stopping releasing phones with small internal storage.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Wylie posted:

Glad I'm getting my new X in a few days, because after 2 years of no cellphone-related trauma I just knocked my 2013 X off my desk and spiderwebbed the glass. Everything's still usable, but if I had to use this phone for more than a week more I'd go nuts.

Definitely going to invest in the insurance plan now, though.

And yeah, the stuff Motorola puts on top of stock Android are entirely the reason I love the X. It knows I'm driving, so it reads my text messages to me and I can reply without even looking at the phone.
It's a long shot, but I've heard of people still getting the complimentary screen replacement. Give them a call, you might end up with a new/refurbished in box phone you can flip for a decent amount.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Super Dude posted:

I'm already hesitant on whether I should keep the Pure. I just had a 20 minute phone call on it, and holy crap my hand was hurting. It's just so big! Maybe it will take some time to adapt from the 2013 X, but I'm not sure I can handle it.
You have 14 days for a no-questions-asked return, at least give it a week. I went from a 2013 Moto X to a Nexus 6 and even at 6'8" with proportionally big hands ("it looks like an average person holding a normal phone") it took me a couple of weeks to get used to it.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Has anyone had an issue with the latest Hangouts where when you send a message it take a a while to show up in the message thread?
I had that but it worked itself out when Google Play Services updated.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Splinter posted:

Is there anyway to get rid of the constant notification to update my 2013 MotoX to Lolipop (besides updating to Lolipop...)? It's gone from a passive notification bar icon to a full screen take over once a day that requires me to select a time for the next take over to occur.
Go to Settings > Apps > All > Motorola Update Services, force stop, clear data, then disable it.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Crazyweasel posted:

Hi quick question, I have a Moto X with Android 5.1 and every time I'm on a call I get a popup about mobile data being suspended while on the phone.

It's a really annoying extra dialogue box to go through when I'm driving and in the phone if I want to hang up or go to speaker or something.

It's not recent but I'm just really fed up. Is there a way to turn this off? I couldn't get Google to help on this...
-Open the dialer andial *#*#4636#*#*

-Go to Phone Information and choose Enable VoLTE Provisioned Flag

-Reboot

-Go to Settings > More > Cellular Networks and enable Enhanced 4G LTE Mode. If it isn't there, reboot again, if it still isn't, go into the service menu and try enabling it again.

-Your phone now thinks that VoLTE is enabled (you don't unless your carrier has enabled it. For Verizon at least you have to add it as a free feature to your account) and will stop interrupting data when you're on a call but still fail over to 3G because VoLTE isn't available.

-Revel in the absurdity of having to go into a service menu to enable a switch to enable a feature that doesn't work to get rid of an error message that seems completely unrelated to the question you asked until you read the technical description of what it does and why it's relevant to the question you asked.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Wasn't the Nexus 6 a big flop, priced at $650? And then the 5x and 6p were moderate successes due to their lower price point? I think I paid $270 for my 5x, $650 seems excessive. The photo of the umbilical cord between the iPhone and the Pixel, looked like they were trying to build an iPhone competitor, that would literally suck the life out of your old Apple product.
$650 for the N6 was one of the dumbest purchases I've ever made.

RZA Encryption posted:

I just bought a black 32gb pixel, is the announcement worth watching?

I didn't read the product page, either.
Make sure you watch the intro segment closely.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 4, 2016

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Does anyone else's ear speaker on their 5x sound like a lovely Radio Shack walkie talkie from 1985?

It's definitely the speaker. Phone calls are clear as day through bluetooth or earbuds.
The speaker cone is dented or dislodged. Put your mouth to the grille and suck then blow air through it, that fixes it for most people.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Is the Moto G4 still a go-to as a cheap and decent Android phone?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I haven't been keeping up with trends for a couple of years, how much of a price drop should I expect in used first gen Pixels one the new ones ship? I'm getting really sick of the inexplicable 3 how battery life on my G4

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

bull3964 posted:

For new ones? They got their price cut ($100). Anything further on NIB units would likely come from places like w00t if there's any overstock to get rid of later. That's hard to predict though and indicators are that there was never much excess stock to begin with.

ilkhan posted:

(Used) Pixels are going to go for 350-450 for the foreseeable future. As long as Google is offering 350-410, anyway. Don't buy new at this point.
Buy now, got it.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I've skimmed the thread and didn't see it mentioned. I have a Pixel 5, completely stock, with the Google Play system update from 1/1/22 and the Feb. 5 2022 security update.

Has anyone had issues with system processes and the stock keyboard freezing up and making both Google apps (Gmail particularly) and installed apps completely unusable and freezing the whole UI completely until a hard reboot? Even stopping and disabling apps like Signal, Facebook, Google News, and anything that sometimes hit me with a bunch of notifications all at once doesn't stop the problem. I'm to the point where I wake up, reboot my phone, and hope I don't have to do it again in the middle of the day, although whether or not I have to just to get it working is 50/50.

I know the answer is to backup and factory reset and I'm going to do that tonight, I'm just wondering if it's something I'm doing/some lovely app I have installed or something that other people are having a problem with.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Have you cleared all the caches involved? Or uninstalled and reinstalled what seem like problem apps?

I went through all of my apps and cleared caches. Nextdoor is the worst, Facebook is a close second, but every app that accepts keyboard input is the problem app.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

A friend and her mom live 1000 miles apart. They both have the Galaxy S22 (SM-S901U) and mom is "hit the touchscreen harder if it doesn't do what you want the first time" tech savvy; and my friend is OK with technology and can figure out most of her mom's issues. Is there an easy, secure way for my friend to connect to her mom's phone (basically, set it up in advance with a password and require mom's permission to allow the connection)? It would be a bonus if I could join the remote session if they can't figure something out (yeah, I know the perils of doing tech support for friends and family.)

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

On a Galaxy S22, in an area with bad AT&T reception, is it possible to add a Google Fi data only SIM and make calls from the AT&T number using the Fi data connection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

P7P screen cracked in my pocket last night for no apparent reason, time to go get gouged for $300 to get it replaced before work and hope insurance pays for it.