Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

What do you guys think about the ZTE Axon 7? I just got the 4/64GB model and really like it so far and was wondering what others that are familiar with it thought about it since I don't really hear or see anyone talking about what seems to be a pretty darn good phone for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Rickets posted:

There are two, maybe three Axon 7 owners here, so you're not completely alone.

I have a 4/64GB Gray Axon 7 and I love it. I run one of the latest LineageOS nightlies with a custom kernel (Beastmode) and this thing flies. The speakers are great (also it has a DAC, I guess that's a thing), the screen is greater, the camera is meh and sometimes I still hit the home button when I mean to press the back button.

You're right, it's a great phone for the price. The 2 year warranty with accidental damage replacement (for a fixed price, I think it maxes at $80 US) is pretty interesting, I haven't had to use any warranty service yet but it's good to know I can replace it cheaply if I break it.

Thanks for responding! Glad to see I am not the only one singing it's praises. I got mine from Newegg and got the gold model. The camera seems like the main complaint I see about it, but it still seems to be good enough for my casual purposes, and it looks like it can do some decent video recording if I need it. I could definitely see it being a big deal to people who heavily use their phones for that purpose though.

Is it really worth the trouble of diving in and rooting/custom romming it? Right now I just have it on the latest stock B32 update and looking at forums online seems like It's be pretty easy to go custom, but I'm just not sure what that would really do for me over keeping the stock setup.

The price was definitely attractive to me because I wanted a phone with pretty beefy hardware (and USB-C was a requirement, I'll never go back to micro-USB on a phone cause I really hate those lovely connectors) so this seemed to be the way to go if I couldn't afford a Pixel/XL, but wanted more than the good cheap Motorolas offer.

My last phone was an LG Stylo 2 Plus (MetroPCS branded) that I got from one of their stores. It still works fine (other than micro USB issues) and the cheap stylus built-in to it broke at the tip so you basically couldn't take it out anymore. I didn't really miss it to be honest. It'll be an okay backup phone if anything ever happens to this one, but gently caress LG man. The fingerprint reader on that phone sucks compared to the Axon's too.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Thanks again for the responses about the Axon 7 guys. I got it all setup with the Axon Toolkit which was easy to get the bootloader unlocked, TWRP setup, and root with SuperSu. I also got Adaway and Titanium backup all set up. Things are looking good and setup has been painless.

I'm probably just going to stay on the stock rom/kernel for now cause none of the custom stuff seems like it would be worth the effort over stock, correct me if I'm wrong here. There's just so much poo poo to wade through on xdadevelopers/etc.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Blue Train posted:

You can do a lot of poo poo with a custom rom. Click this link and look at the features, it has a lot of options

https://forum.xda-developers.com/axon-7/development/official-weekly-resurrectionremix-zte-t3594393

Yeah there's a lot of features and stuff, but I just don't see anything truly beneficial to me with how I use my phone, and it just doesn't seem worth the effort over stock. I might delve into some once we get Oreo on this thing maybe. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Newegg has the Axon 7 for $310 which is a good price for it.

Whether its a good phone to get depends upon whether you care about a below average camera and not good software. The not-good software can be somewhat remedied by the whole installing a custom ROM route which I wouldn't recommend, but some people dont care.

Did it just get a price drop or is that one the mini? I just bought one a little over a week ago from them and it was 369 for the gold 4/64gb one.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Sorry, I forgot the link.

Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...75705054&cm_sp=

Coupon code: AFEMSRKBJ3

Lol if only I had waited. I doubt they'd do anything for me but that extra 50 dollar savings would have been sweet cause I really like this phone.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Just an update a few months later with my ZTE Axon 7.

I'm still loving this phone, with the caveat that to get the most out of it you need to unlock it and use a custom ROM. Root is optional but I use Magisk 16 on it.

Using AEX I have Oreo 8.1 and am on the Feb 5th security patch. Everything is smooth and fast with great battery life.

My next phone though I'm likely to go with the latest Pixel available when I'm ready to upgrade and will probably go directly through Google on their financing option.

Still though I have been happy with this phone and would recommend it for people willing to get their hands dirty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

I don't know if I'm missing something but I can't get YouTube Music to continue playing music in the background or with the phone locked either which is why I don't use it. I've just been using CloudPlayer synced to my Google drive to listen to my stuff.