Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

I've been happy with my moto x except for the battery. Recently I can't make it through a 12 shift with moderate use, ie occasionally googling things or texting my coworkers. I'm leaning towards replacing it with an LG G3, my plan being I can always swap out the battery on a long shift, or permanently if it starts to crap out down the road. I'll stop by t mobile to check out an xperia z3,but I'm sticking with at&t for now (might change to Cricket but that's another story). Any thoughts? I love the minimal ui and active notifications on moto x, so I'm leaning away from a galaxy note or s5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

dissss posted:

The UI on the LG phones isn't any better than touchwiz.

Anyway consider an external battery that connects to the USB port on the phone - sure this is a bit inconvenient but actually replacing the battery in the phone is even more so (remember you'll have to wait an eternity for the phone to reboot)

Got one, it's a massive pain in the rear end to use. Would much rather hot swap.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Need some advice. Dropped my Nexus 6 and destroyed the screen and digitizer. Google wouldn't cover it and booted me to Motorola, who did not make me feel very confident they weren't going to screw up and send me the wrong phone as a refurb (i.e. I have the white 64 gig, and when I brought that up the guy didn't really seem to know what I was talking about). Are they reliable enough, or should I just take it to say Best Buy or Staples to have them fix it? The cost is going to be about the same either way.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

r0ck0 posted:

Order the part off ebay and do it yourself. Its easy to replace the screen, plenty of videos on youtube to show you how.

I would but I'm gunshy after loving up an iPhone trying it a few years ago. I'm not usually skittish about these things but I've had zero success doing repairs on mobile devices smaller than laptops.

teagone posted:

Goons with oily fingers. What else is new?
It's not my fault, Nexus 6 is too big to hold at the same time as my chalupa and doritos :qq:

Missed my pants pocket putting it away, nothing else in my hands, no excuse:ughh:

ArgaWarga fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 14, 2015

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Sir Lemming posted:

Well that makes sense, Sade mode makes the phone have smoother operation

:golfclap:

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Got my Pixel 2 XL this morning, pretty great coming from my busted N6P (should have tried to get a refurb from google, didn't find out that was an option until phone had shipped) but I'm having one problem. I can't get Now Playing to work at all. I even checked a list of songs that Now Playing knows from 9to5Google and played HUMBLE by Kendrick Lamar, and nothing from the phone. And before anyone asks, yes I've turned it on in the settings.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Internet Explorer posted:

We'll tell you how to fix it, but first you'll need to tell us about the screen.

I'm probably the wrong person to answer (my friends have been pestering me about it too), I'm just happy to have a functional phone compared to the sorry state of my N6P.

Overall I think it's fine but definitely much more muted than expected. The colors on my google calendar widget used to be cheerful and cartoonish, now they're bordering on drab, but looking at pictures or videos or even the live wallpapers looks really nice. I notice the blue tint from about 45 degrees, but it isn't bothersome to me (again, wrong person to ask).

I really wish it had a headphone jack. For some reason the running list of apps using battery is back despite having that "hide apps running in background" app, which worked fine before.

I rebooted and Now Playing appears to be working, so gently caress me I guess, haha.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

I think I got a bad 2XL. It's crashed 3 times today, usually when doing something basic like viewing a web page or my twitter feed, not even scrolling. The Bluetooth has crashed several times as well, which apparently is an issue that will be addressed by a security update, but the issues I was having before with the Now Playing keep happening. It's really disappointing, it's a great phone otherwise.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

ArgaWarga posted:

I think I got a bad 2XL. It's crashed 3 times today, usually when doing something basic like viewing a web page or my twitter feed, not even scrolling. The Bluetooth has crashed several times as well, which apparently is an issue that will be addressed by a security update, but the issues I was having before with the Now Playing keep happening. It's really disappointing, it's a great phone otherwise.

If anyone is following my personal drama with my Pixel, I did a factory reset yesterday, and things were pretty solid for a day and a half or so. Then today it crashed again while doing nothing. I called Google support and described my issue to the nice woman, and she told me to keep it in safe mode for a few hours. Did that, phone crashed again-- I pulled the phone out to set a timer while making dinner, and it was back to regular mode, hadn't been using it at all in the interim.

The good news is the Google person offered me a new replacement, not a refurb. So I guess I'll roll the dice again :ocelot:

I might just see if I can get a Pixel XL for my Nexus 6P and be done with it.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

FWIW I don't like being an early adopter, I just couldn't stand the Nexus anymore and wanted another phone that gets regular security updates :(

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

FAUXTON posted:

I am having no issues with the lil' size pixel lol I used the XL one handed all the time while cooking and waiting at lights and stuff and the smaller phone isn't giving me any "oh good my hands are TOO BIG" problems.

I don't look like as much of a dork with it in the pocket so that's something.

I love my big phones but I wish they made a modern version of the 2013 Moto X :sigh:

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

How bad of an idea is it to buy a Note 9 once they announce the new one?

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Not bad at all. One UI is great

Is it reasonable to expect it to last a couple of years? I'm coming off a Pixel 2XL and just not loving the trends I'm seeing recently in new phones (in screen fingerprint readers, etc).

I had gotten the 2XL on launch and had problems initially (most likely they were related to early AT&T radio problems, not the phone itself) but the phone was decent to good over its life, then beginning of the month the camera stopped working and I got an RMA a couple of weeks ago. But mostly I just want to get a new phone.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Thumposaurus posted:

I've had this Galaxy S10 for about 2 weeks now and it randomly keeps losing the mobile data connection until I hit airplane mode and force it to reconnect.
It just downloaded an update that I hoped would fix it but it's done it this morning again.
Has anyone else experienced this?
I had an LG-G6 previously and it never had a problem.

What network? I had something similar happen when I was on AT&T with a few different phones (pixel 2 xl, nexus 6p, og moto x)

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Speaking of terrible phone trends: slow, unreliable under glass fingerprint readers, especially given how good capacitive ones on the back (or wherever) are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Zero VGS posted:

What are they gonna do, fire you?

Not a lawyer, but theoretically I'd imagine they could sue you for stealing property, worst case scenario.