Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K
Jun 2, 2005

Meet me at midnight
What's the most recent OS I can update my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (SPH-L900) up to? There is an app I need to run that accompanies a new device I bought but it's only compatible with Lollipop and up, and I can't upgrade my phone until May (my Note 2 is a backup, as my Note 5 has a busted LCD and it costs more to replace than just waiting it out a couple months).

Can I push past Kitkat without rooting it? If I not, and I do root it, what's recommended in terms of pushing up to the most recent OS in terms of what it can handle from a hardware perspective? Can I get all the way to Nougat or Marshmallow? Feel free to yell at me and send me to the rooted thread, but wanted a more general opinion first.

Search results are terrible so far. Need hlep.

K fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K
Jun 2, 2005

Meet me at midnight

Ihmemies posted:

Go dig XDA forums. Some guy had a p good (considering the lovely hardware) 6.0 ROM for my Note, also he made a 7.0 ROM but I never got around to update to it. Ypu just need to learn a bit about janitoring your old shitphone. I wouldn't do it again, but at least it's an experience!

Thanks. I'll take a look. I only need this thing to be stable for two months until I upgrade...

LastInLine posted:

This is good advice. Nothing will do more to make you buy good phones than to try to work around the shortcomings of bad ones for a while.

The next phone you buy you'll take long term support into account.

Well said.