Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

My iPhone 6 committed suicide by jumping off a boat and I needed a fast & cheap replacement but didn't want to shrink my screen too much, so I'm now the proud owner of a 1st generation Moto X. Purchased used, off eBay, from a seller who apparently offloads old stock that was returned to Motorola but not refurbished.

I think I got a dud? Battery was dead on arrival, and while it can function while plugged in, I just let it charge for an hour and the battery is still showing 1%. I can get a replacement (the seller seems to have a decent swap / return policy if there's a problem with the phone they sell you) but its going to take some time. While I sit here wringing my hands over my device, can anyone tell me if phone batteries can behave like this if they're left run down for long amounts of time, but will eventually hold at least some charge if left plugged in ... Overnight? I mean I'm going to find out either way, but if someone here has experience with this issue or some knowledge about it, lay it on me.

Also, what's the newest version of Android that this thing can run, smoothly?

Edit: I also just cut up the SIM that was in my Nokia 635 backup phone so it would fit in the Moto X. This wouldn't have any effect on the battery and I'm retarded if I would even consider such a thing... Right?

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Hi, I posted here about a month ago asking some bullshit question about my battery and if my phone is going to be a piece of poo poo. Well, as it turns out, there is nothing wrong with the battery besides it's being old, the clipped micro SIM works fine in the phone's nano SIM slot, and 4.4.4 on this OG Moto X is suiting my needs just dandy.

Coming from an untimely departed iPhone 6, I'm pretty happy with the functionality of this handset. It's major deficiencies are:

Not having TouchID is annoying as gently caress.

Bunch of busy notification icons on the top bar is fiddly and weird.

Camera sucks balls.

Outlook app feels hacked together compared to the ios version. I bet there are lots of examples of less polished Android app ports but I really only use a few so idgaf. Plus it looks like gmail app may suit my needs better because I can have it handle my exchange account now too????

Some burn-in on the oled screen, but I am using a 'b-grade refub stock' eBay phone, so I can't complain.

Meanwhile, major advantages include:

Not $700

Only $100

Better voice control

Which is a brief list, but really counts for a lot imo.

This concludes my report on switching from an iPhone to a android. Thanks for reading.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I didn't see anything about this in the rules specifically, but I'm trying to tread lightly here.

I have a coworker whose relative died, and left some kind of important information on a password locked LG G4 Stylus. Coworker is light on specifics right now but still processing everything. I feel like I should do what I can to help. Don't know if they want photos, text message logs, or what.

I figure that Apple products are locked down pretty solid, but how widely available are the tools for extracting data from random Android devices like this LG? No actual password crack methods are readily available, right? Any tools that will allow copying most files over to a computer from the phone? Would text messages or call lists be recoverable with such tools? Will these tools probably install virus.exe on my coworker's computer?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Any opinions on the 'armor-x' waterproof cases? Seems like the only thing coming up in my search for a non-bag waterproof case for my Moto G5S+.