Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I know this isn't the thread (is there a thread?) but what's the deal with wireless charging?

Assuming your phone supports it, is there a charger that people like more than others? Is it worth it? I've heard that you can overheat or gently caress up your phone if it's not on the pad correctly.

Do you guys do it? Would you recommend it over just plugging your phone into a surge protector?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Is there any way to tell if a random USB cable will work with a Motorala Turbo Charger? The one that came with mine is just a little too short. I don't need it for data or anything, strictly charging. I'd be happy with anything from Monoprice, but I'm sitting on a few more days of an Amazon Prime trail, and some Amazon gift cards as well.

Will something like this just work? I really have no idea.

E: I guess the question I should be asking is what the hell gauge cable am I looking for? The one I linked is apparently 28/21, but I can't figure out what came with my charger.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 21, 2015

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Mogomra posted:

Is there any way to tell if a random USB cable will work with a Motorala Turbo Charger? The one that came with mine is just a little too short. I don't need it for data or anything, strictly charging. I'd be happy with anything from Monoprice, but I'm sitting on a few more days of an Amazon Prime trail, and some Amazon gift cards as well.

Will something like this just work? I really have no idea.

E: I guess the question I should be asking is what the hell gauge cable am I looking for? The one I linked is apparently 28/21, but I can't figure out what came with my charger.

Mooktastical posted:

I use an Amazon Basics cable with my Z3c and it still charges at Quick Charge 2.0 speed.

z06ck posted:

No good way as far as I'm aware. The cable that came with mine went to poo poo fairly quick and stopped charging at turbo speeds. It was definitely the cable and not the charger. I switched it out with the one from my HTC one m7 and that one is good to go Gauge of cable doesn't seem to matter.

That poo poo is cheap, just buy it and found out. If not it'll be a spare for something else.

I just want to follow up/close the discussion about stupid USB cables.

I was looking at the Amazon Basics USB cable, but there were reviews that said recently purchased cables seemed to be thinner, and didn't support Turbo/Fast/whatever charging. I don't know if they're accurate reviews, but I decided to stay away from them.

I did end up buying the cable that I linked, and tested it with Ampere. The cable that came with my charger seemed to be maxing out at 1880mA, where this cable hit a max of 1900mA. I didn't do any averages or anything, but they seem pretty darn equal to me. The only question left is whether or not the cable holds up, or fries itself in a few days. For now, I'm happy with it.

tl;dr: As far as I can tell, that's a decent cable if you want to replace whatever came with your fast charger.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

IuniusBrutus posted:

Doesn't 5.0 have the baked in natively?

Yeah it does. I'm pretty sure that's why Motorola would remove that feature.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Guillermus posted:

I kind of prefer holo to material when it comes to keyboard. But then I use SwiftKey with holo theme :)

I've been using the Swype "Night" theme since before holo, and I'll probably keep using it when they move on from this material design stuff.
:cool::hf::cool:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

LastInLine posted:

I'd use the Material theme in Swype if it showed alt characters, it looks nice. v :) v

I did use that for a day or two, but yes. I need to see the alt characters. My brain is too stupid to remember where the exclamation and question marks are. I don't know what they were thinking there.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

:shepface: - "Or just install antivirus."

:shepface:

:shepface: :shepicide:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

mcbexx posted:

Android/Google is doing some really weird poo poo lately.

Yesterday evening I wanted to play some music by using Google Now.
It went and started a Radio based on the song I wanted it to play, but not the song itself.

Then today at 6:00am my phone started to play the song I actually wanted to play yesterday.
No alarm was set, it just started blaring the song at 6:00am sharp.

On my day off.
Thank you, Google.

Trusted places is also not working at all.
Requiring two unlocking gestures to even check for notification icons is a pain in the rear end, too.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Last week, my phone decided to autoplay this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtFoUboFyPk

from my Google Music account, while I was attending a lunchtime seminar with like 100 work colleagues in the room.

F..gently caress you Google?
This hasn't happened to me, but I notice a lot that after I exit Google Play Music, the controls will show up in my notification drawer again a few minutes later.

I always try to remember to mute the media volume on my phone after I'm done listening to music because I don't want these things to happen to me.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

So I've got my droid turbo and I'm trying to figure out how to increase the battery life. I downloaded the Battery Doctor App and it seems to be able to identify and turn off a bunch of things(70+ apps) that are running in the background, but apparently they don't stay off. Maybe they are on some kind of auto update mode or something, I dunno.

Can anyone tell what I can do to increase battery life? Maybe an app or some settings I can change?

What is your battery life like if you don't fiddle with any of that stuff? Mine is usually at ~60-70% after a day of normal usage. That's Very Good™ for most Android phones as far as I know.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I was rockin' Kitkat on my Nexus One before I upgraded.

It worked surprisingly well for what it was.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

Is this like "the Atari 2600 is a surprisingly capable webserver, for what it is" kind of thing? Or was it usable beyond kid-glove gimmick scenarios?

I am having trouble imagining how terrifically bad KitKat must have been on that hardware. It's like seeing XP running on some old shitbox that was built for use with 3.1.

Endless Mike posted:

Better or worse than Nexus S with Jellybean levels of bad?

Some alpha-nerd hacked together some sort of hardware acceleration so it was totally usable. It was still old hardware for Kitkat though. The real issue was that whatever storage was in the Nexus One didn't hold up over time, so the longer you ran, the longer it would take apps to load.

E: This is what I was running, not my video though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V33IrOD_WYs

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 7, 2015

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

midnightclimax posted:

Yesterday I accidentally removed my home wlan connection, and immediately added it back. Weird thing is, now the signal is always grey, and not blue. But everything seems to work, so I don't know what's up. I'm using 4.2

That typically means that Google Services isn't connected and/or syncing.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

actionjackson posted:

Okay, rooted my device, then placed it into a tub of 42.1 degree water for 15 seconds, put it in the toaster to dry, what is the next step help

You fool! I said 43.1 degree water! You've ruined your computer phone!

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Edward IV posted:

And is that in Fahrenheit or Celsius? :911::hf::france:

The is the problem with open source projects.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

isndl posted:

It's like you think the Droid Turbo doesn't exist. :allears:

Is this where we try to give people battery envy?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

LastInLine posted:

I wouldn't care if the Moto Maxx/Droid Turbo had 12 days of screen on time and a blow job port, it looks like it stepped right out of 2011 and has capacitive buttons. That right there is an automatic "Nope" from me.

I was the same really, but then I couldn't figure out what my actual problem was with the buttons.

Every Android phone I've used has had capacitive buttons. I disabled them for probably a year on my GSIII, but it wasn't life changing or anything.

I'd rather have 12 days of screen time and a blow job. :shrug:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I just don't want to look like a goofus, holding a tablet up to my head.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Lblitzer posted:

You mean like the millions of other people out there with phablets? I think you'll always have people commenting on even a Galaxy saying how big it is (especially when they say "that thing is huge compared to my iphone 4").

Fine.

I don't want to look like the millions of other goofuses holding tablets up to their heads. :colbert:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

this_is_hard posted:

my...my turbo will never get lollipop :smithicide:

Nah man, it's cool. 4.4.4 is the superior release. :unsmith:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

nerve posted:

Mine doesn't work well at all at my house and the pocket detection has worked zero times. But in theory you're totally right.

Weirdly enough, smart lock worked great for me on my GSIII with some bullshit unofficial CM 12 build.

My 2012 N7 with stock 5.1 though? That doesn't work at all. Never ever has it just unlocked for me.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Are the AOSP web browser and email client a thing anymore? My company seems to be hellbent on testing with them instead of Chrome and Gmail on Android.

I think I remember reading that Google was phasing them out, but I might have made that up in my head...

e: Sorry if this is more of an app question than an OS question.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The AOSP browser has been dead for while. Email is more recent but still dead.

That's what I thought. Thanks!

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Is there a difference between "Qi" and "wireless" charging?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

All Qi is wireless charging, not all wireless charging is Qi.

Thanks, but it sounds to me like the difference is only the branding. :shrug:

e: I guess my question is, "What makes Qi better than other wireless charging standards?" I'm no electrical engineer, give it to me straight, goons.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 6, 2015

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If it doesn't say Verizon all over the phone, you can't use it on Verizon.

My Turbo doesn't have "Verizon" on it anywhere. :frogc00l:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Quandary posted:

My internet searches have failed, so I'll ask here, hopefully it's the right place.

About a week back my Turbo started being incapable of receiving or sending calls. When I recieve a call, I get the notification and attempt to answer, but instead of answering the icon that you swipe simply returns to the center of the screen and continues that until the call stops ringing. When I try to send outgoing calls, all my data immediately drops and it tries to send for a few minutes before the call gives me a network error and tells me it wasn't connected. The weirdest thing is that whoever I'm trying to call gets the call and can answer it, I just can't talk to them or tell they got it. Everything else on the phone works great, so I have no idea what's going on. Anyone seen this before or have any ideas of what I could try to fix it?

Do you have VoLTE turned on? I would try factory resetting the phone first.

Endless Mike posted:

Your phone is broken and you should take it back to Verizon for a replacement.

Yeah, this if the reset doesn't do anything.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Butt Savage posted:

Alright then. Guess I'll try that CM9 flash and get some experience doing something that's not really necessary anymore. :haw:

They're building CM 12.1 for most of the S3 variants.

AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon. If you want to pretend to care about stability, the last snapshot of CM11 was for the unified builds that they've since abandoned.

Don't bother with trying to find CM9 or something.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/article/2015/05/droid-turbo-in-limited-edition-metallic-colors-available-may-28.html?null

Verizon posted:

DROID Turbo in Limited Edition Metallic Colors Available May 28

• Soon to be updated from Android KitKat to Android 5.1 Lollipop
"Soon"

:negative:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Alarbus posted:

Which isn't a bad idea. I've been using it a bit on my Nexus 6, and when it works, it sounds pretty good. When it doesn't work, you step back in time 10+ years and start saying "Hello? Are you there? Hello?" a lot. I finally turned it off for now, since I use my phone a lot while driving (sitting in traffic), and it's not smooth when you change 4g towers.

Hilariously, my car hands free reports 1x signal strength in the dash, not LTE, so I have no idea if I can make a call or not!

this_is_hard posted:

yeah, it is definitely hot garbage on the Turbo as well
I specifically asked about this poo poo in the Verizon thread, and everyone was like, "Nope, AC is the loving tits, mang."

I thought it was just my neighborhood's lovely LTE signal. My wife had the same issues on her iPhone 6. I ended up having to turn it off on both of our phones.

I like the idea of VoLTE, but I still need to use my phone to make calls.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

To think that it'll only be two years until I get to use Android M. :allears:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I think I usually get one of my devices to work on Windows, but only at the expense of making the other ones not work.

Also, like everyone else is saying, it's trivially easy to download ubuntu and install it in virtual box. It just take a few minutes to download and install.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

this_is_hard posted:

:allears:

the turbo owner forums on Motorola's sites are going nuts, same with the turbo subreddit.

the 2013 moto x will get 5.1 before the Turbo does

It's glorious how for whatever the gently caress reason, everyone was so sure that June 10th was officially confirmed by Verizon and Motorola somewhere. One G+ post and one tweet from one guy saying, "I don't have information strong enough to post on AP" means it's 100% absolutely supposed to come out today in these people's minds. Now that it hasn't, they've all been victimized somehow.

The butthurt is palpable.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

this_is_hard posted:

i agree, but at the same time it really is perplexing how it has taken Motorola/Verizon so long to upgrade the turbo when it essentially has the same specs as the Nexus 6 and the same software as the Moto X.

i definitely understand being frustrated with Motorola/Verizon but it was silly to take Some Dude Who Writes For Android Police's Tweet 100% at face value

Totally. It sucks that it's taken so long. I'm not saying that it doesn't. If anything, I'd just want some communication. Moto/Verizon have been super tight lipped other than "Yeah, it's planned to go straight to 5.1" and that was in March. Even just a, "Yeah, it's still planned to go straight to 5.1", or a, "Nope, nevermind. Have fun with Kit-Kat." would be better than absolute radio silence.

Still doesn't explain why people latched on to this rumor so hard. It's ridiculous.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

XIII posted:

Sorry if this is a better question for the VZW thread, but I just got a replacement Turbo and the Advanced Calling doesn’t seem to be working. The option to activate it is greyed out and, anytime I make a call, it drops down to 1x. I’m on the latest software, so I don’t know why it wouldn’t be letting me activate it. I’ve tried rebooting and toggling airplane mode, thinking maybe it just needed to reconnect to the network or something after putting my SIM in, but no dice.

You might need to disable/enable that feature for your line in the VZW account management application? I think it's preloaded on the phone.

While we're talking about the Turbo, are there any decent cases for the ballistic nylon version? I've had this case since March-ish, and it's become loose. My phone can slide up and down while it's inside the case, and it's super annoying.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

this_is_hard posted:

That's the case I'm using. Mine hasn't gotten loose yet but I can imagine it happening if you take the case on/off frequently.

I might have taken it off 3 times total to get the pocket lint out. :shrug:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Alright, no one asked for it, but here's a TinyCore Linux VM with just Java and ADB. Username and password are both android.

http://bit.ly/1JInSku

I'm sure I'll get some use out of this. Thanks!

kri kri posted:

Have diztronic replace it.

Good point, I'll try that I guess.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

I like my updates to receive extensive testing, unlike this nearly 2-week old issue in Cyanogen that keeps you from being able to dial 911

Wow, you are literally risking your own life if you unlock your bootloader. :monocle:

Never again.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Big Red Tolling Again posted:

Last Modified: 06/11/2015 to Android 5.1

Took me a little while to find it this time haha

I can't wait for people to start frothing at the mouth over this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

That Android Police guy's source must be like, "Oh, I thought we were talking about the website! Classic mix up!"