Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I feel like someone was complaining about that a month or so back. Not sure if it was a Z3C, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

TraderStav posted:

It was me, but thought it was just the flap. Now the card is acting like a dog in the bathtub

No, I meant the part about the card popping out. That sounds familiar to me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

I said come in! posted:

Where did the trend come from where people don't understand the battery life graph on their phone, and mistake it for useful information? Software updates can't just magically make your battery more powerful.

I don't anyone thinks such a thing. However, software updates can improve idle drain and other related battery uses, thus improving battery life (not power).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For some reason, Google Now thinks my work (really the commuter parking lot at school) is different than what Google Maps (correctly) thinks. I tried to edit the Now version from the commute card, but it couldn't find the intersection I used for Maps. Is this just a case of :google:, or am I doing something wrong?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

GWBBQ posted:

Open the Google app, go to menu > customize > places

That's set to the location Maps uses. I did have a card this morning asking me if I cared about travel time to somewhere that looked like Now's concept of my work location and I said no, so we'll see.

Edit: nope, still got the card to some random place on campus.

hooah fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 24, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Google Now is still being stupid and thinking my work location is not where Maps knows it is. Is there any way to fix this? If not, it's off to the fun Google Groups I go.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The address is set correctly in the Google Now settings?

Yes. Just the card is wrong, and when I try to edit the location through the card, it can't find the intersection I have saved as my work location.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

butt dickus posted:

I have not intentionally broken my primary communications device.

Why is rooting breaking? I can see an argument for installing poo poo that requires root privileges thereafter qualifying as breaking, but not rooting I'm and if itself, especially on a Nexus.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

If you pull the last_kmsg from the /proc/ folder it would probably point you toward what's causing the panics at least.

What do kernel panics look like in this log? Also, would this provide any insight to the sleep-of-death?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How easy would it be to import a Moto Maxx to the US? If it's reasonably easy, how much cost is that likely to add?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ruby idiot railed posted:

Harder now, Mexico carriers closed some loopholes in the online ordering system. Though I imagine it can still be done, and you can source a XT1225 from Puerto Rico or Brazil or whatever too. Typically add about $40 for somebody to ship it to you. Keep in mind that XT1225 is the same regardless of origin country, and you can flash whatever original factory image to change it to any other 'country edition' without unlocking the bootloader because it's all signed by Motorola.

Ok. If I don't want to faff around with either having my phone in Spanish or finding an English image, does the Turbo have enough band overlap to be used on T-Mobile? I don't really understand how the bands work.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FAUXTON posted:

How many times does this need to be some mindblowing epiphany for people before it goes in the thread title

Until there aren't people like me, I guess. I got frustrated with the Facebook app changing my feed preference (recent, dammit!), so I uninstalled it and started using the mobile site. Basically the same problems, but it's one less app to possibly run amok. On the other hand, I haven't had any problems with Messenger, but to be fair I use it maybe once a week.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Stepping away from Lollipop chat for a bit...

A new flagship isn't in the cards for me right now, so I'm looking at a "tide me over" phone. I'm leaning towards the new version of either the Moto G or E. I'm a little worried about the onboard storage (I do have an SD card lying around I can use, but meh) on them, but I guess it'd be OK for a year or so. Anything stand out about either of these options vs. the other? Other recommendations? Looking < $200.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

WugLyfe posted:

Moto G LTE has a microSD card slot.

Yes, that's why I included the SD card line in my post.

Thanks for the feedback; I think I'll go with the 2013 Moto G LTE. Would that I had $600 to throw at a Moto Max...

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Public service announcement - don't buy a Xiaomi unless you plan on completely flattening it, at the least:
http://feeds.slashgear.com/~r/slashgear/~3/fDpoOKpgJ2Y/

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm looking at Moto Gs that are labeled as being for Cricket; does that really matter? Could I use it on T-Mobile without any problem?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

BeastOfExmoor posted:

If it's the Moto G 4G GSM version and unlocked you should be able to. Unlock codes are available pretty cheap, but I'd have the seller unlock it so you can confirm they can get a code before you sink some money. One thing to be aware of is that the bootloader will be locked. This means you can't root and you're stuck with the Cricket software which, I believe, won't allow you to tether.

whatever7 posted:

No way to root, no tethering menu.

Does the fact that I forgot to specify the 2013 LTE model make a difference? I don't care about tethering really, but I might miss Titanium Backup and AdAway, although I don't know for sure yet.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Skeezy posted:

Android 5.1 official http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2015/03/android-51-unwrapping-new-lollipop.html?m=1

T-Mobile already has rollout notes for the Nexus 4, 5, and the 7 (2013). They are saying rollout starts today.

Hopefully images come up tonight.

Jesus, why does the official Android blog look like total rear end? Did this team not get the design memo?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The Sony Xperia Z3 hasn't even got 5.0.x yet. I love my Z3 Compact but Sony needs to get a loving move on with the update.

Don't worry, my Nexus 4 (plus the cellular Nexus 7s and the Nexus 9) still haven't received 5.1 yet, so don't feel too behind!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FAUXTON posted:

I had an Epic 4G (the Sprint-branded sliding keyboard special-snowflake abomination of the Galaxy S) and got so fed up with that pile of poo poo I called Sprint and expressed my disappointment in such florid rhetoric that I was given an early upgrade. I didn't harangue the nice lady in their CS department so much as highlight how dealing with that piece of poo poo phone was "a trail of tears" and "a monumental infringement on Sprint's ability to provide the level of service to which I'd become accustomed." I used the upgrade to get an Evo 3D, because once you slam your dick in a door the first time, the next couple slams happen almost by reflex and before I knew it I was the proud owner of a Sprint Galaxy Nexus on release day.

Haha, except for the other CDMA GNex, those are the exact same phones I had for my first three Android phones. Man, the Nexus 4 was nice when I got it!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My US GSM Moto G should arrive in the next couple days, but I can't figure out what size sim the drat thing takes. There are so many versions of the G that review sites don't help, and Amazon's listing doesn't have that information. I'd like to know ahead of time of the card from my N4 will work or if I'll have to take a trip to a T-Mobile store.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I might take another look at used phones, but I've got too much in the way of debt and car repairs to justify a new phone.

Where online should I be looking at used phones? I presume this is going to be one time I should care about replaceable batteries, judging by how far downhill this one has gone in less than a year and a half.

Swappa or Amazon are the common recommendations.

Hadlock posted:

I can't find it, did WugLyfe ever disclose his extra-special use case on his phone, or did he finally back track completely on his ambiguous statements?

Neither.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

always be closing posted:

If my nexus 5 is rooted, no OTA's right?

I have the 5.1 ROM downloaded on my PC from Google's site, what folder should I put it in on the device before I unzip and flash?

Correct, no OTAs. If you got the 5.1 image from Google, then it's not something you can flash on your phone. There are instructions near the top of this page for how to flash. If you want to preserve your data, edit the script file and remove the -w flag.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

I have to say after a few days on Lollipop 5.1 I'm pretty sure the battery consumption is back to KitKat levels of good. Everything is perfect here on it.

:argh: Release the Nexus 4 image, Google! Not that it matters much since I'll be replacing this phone imminently, but still.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

peepsalot posted:

Just curious if my phone is the only one that says "E-use" instead of "use" during google maps turn by turn directions. Sounds weird.

Mine doesn't do that, but it does like to pronounce freeway exits strangely: "Cedar St" becomes "Cedar Saint".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Anyone know why my Moto G won't recognize my T-Mobile SIM? It works fine on my Nexus 4.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

So my Nexus 6 came today, thanks Verizon! Enjoying it so far but when I put it on the charger it charges for maybe a few minutes and then stops. I can replug it and it'll go back to charging but again it stops after a few minutes. I think the longest it charged was like 3 minutes. I thought maybe there was an issue with the cable so I used a different cable and still the same thing. Googled it and got a few people who did a factory reset that supposedly fixed it. I tried a factory reset and that didn't seem to work either. Any ideas on this? Would it be a phone issue or a charger issue?

Just to be clear, it isn't hitting 100% and then stopping?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My new Moto G (2013) doesn't work at home with Trusted Locations, but my Nexus 4 does. They both think I'm at the same place in Maps, and the little house icon for "home" is close to where the "you are here" blue dot is. What gives?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Skarsnik posted:

Try setting another trusted location as 'my current location'

E: when you are at home that is..

That worked, but ...why?

Also, the "on body" is great. Grocery shopping is significantly less hassle now.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife absolutely hates that my Nexus 4, which she ordered for me for Christmas 2012, is now dying and had to be replaced. She thinks it's ridiculous that phones are really only expected to last about 2 years. I do agree with her that it'd be nice to have phones that last at least a few years (especially now that performance demands have started to level off), but in reality that's just not going to happen in a consumer culture.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, on to an entirely different topic: I've discovered that my GPE Moto G has ambient display, but it keeps turning itself on even when there isn't anything new to display. I do have a few persistent notifications - Lux, Tasker, and Warframe Utility. Are these what is causing the display to kick on inappropriately?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thermopyle posted:

It's supposed to do that. Motorola calls it "breathing".

Even when there aren't any new notifications since the phone went to sleep?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, I didn't notice any on my Nexus 4, but they're so bad on my Moto G that I'm considering sticking with the N4 until both get 5.1, then re-evaluating which one to sell.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to turn off Trusted Face without resetting it?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

5.1.1 has started showing up in the SDK manager.

http://phandroid.com/2015/04/02/android-5-1-1/

Maybe THIS is what the N9 is waiting for.

I'm still waiting for 5.1 for my Nexus 4, Google! :argh:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thermopyle posted:

Can anyone set reminders with Google Now right now? ("hey google now, remind me to do something tomorrow")

I've been trying for a couple of hours and it just keeps telling me that it "Can't reach Google at the moment".

I just tried it and it worked fine.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
This is a sad day. My 2013 Moto G got 5.1 before my Nexus 4. Haven't had it enough to find out if processes don't get killed when they shouldn't, though.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

this_is_hard posted:

Your 2013 Moto G got 5.1 before your 2012 Nexus 4?

I know one's a year older than the other, but it seemed assumed that the N4 would get 5.1. It still might, and Motorola has been doing well with updating phones' software, but it's still surprising to me that a non-flagship beat a Nexus (again?).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
5.1 on my GPE Moto G seems to be doing pretty well. Things occasionally fall out of memory, but at least not when I'm using them (i.e. BeyondPod), but I can definitely tell the difference between 1 and 2 GB of RAM. The battery life is loads better than my N4, though, which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well, I guess I'm going back to my N4. 1 GB of RAM just isn't enough these days, I guess - I can't be sure of SwipePad will be there when I swipe in or not, and it did on fact get killed while in the foreground once this morning. I'll just have to deal with crappy battery life.

I'm sure my wife will be happy when I tell her its time to sell the phone I got a month ago!