Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Christ dude, it's just giving people another harmless option to customize their phones, you know, one of Android's strengths over its competitors. I probably wouldn't even change from the default but there's no need to be so overzealous.
I think his point was that it isn't necessarily harmless from either a coding perspective or a branding perspective.

I'd add that from a UI/UX perspective it sounds like it would be a nightmare to have a system-level mechanism for managing the colors of every app on the device. What you'd have would either be a way to select a predefined theme that you then have to enforce every app be somehow compatible with or you'd have a list of installed apps that you could select the changeable attributes for each one. Neither is the kind of thing any normal user should be confronted with out of the box as the former option won't be flexible enough to make the people interested in customization happy and the latter would just be a terrible experience.

Given the amount of effort and money that goes into branding nobody is going to give users the ability to just strip that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

I hope you don't have a Tylt Vu. :(

BTW my N6 just arrived in Richmond. Painful....
The N6 works fine with the Tylt Vu.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

I have a Nexus 7 2013 WiFi (probably the Google Play one if it matters, I'm not positive because I won it from a Kit Kat wrapper) and about two weeks ago I got a notification that a system update to 5.0 was available. I put it off because I wanted to double check that I have everything backed up and wipe it when I updated, but now it says it's up to date but I'm still on 4.4.4. Was the update pulled for some reason?
It was not pulled and there's been another update since to 5.0.1. If you're going to wipe it anyway why not just flash the factory image?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

joepinetree posted:

There is something weird going on with the Moto x 2014 I got a couple of weeks ago. Whenever I go on a road trip google search consumes massive amounts of data in the background. I am talking about 1.3 gb in 2 ~300 mile trips. Now, I know that google now usage is part of google search, but I never had a problem like this with my previous android (which wasn't using lollipop) and google now turned on. Has anyone had a similar issue? I don't want to turn off all background data for google search, but it would be a waste to have to upgrade my data plan just for google now.
That is crazy and I've never seen it. I wish I had a suggestion on how to stop it but I don't.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

amenenema posted:

First time I opened Chrome after 5.0.0 installed it asked me if the separate tabs was behavior I wanted to keep, and instructions to change it back...
Remember when this behavior was announced at the Lollipop preview and everyone was like Oh yes! This is going to be great! and I was skeptical and then it came out and the end result was that you have a billion tabs open and completely lost in a sea of every app you've ever used so you can never find the one you want and no idea what's even on those tabs because some came from links and some came from other tabs and you never close any of them?

I'm just saying I was right, and it's an awful idea executed poorly.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

My first thought was "this worked ok on the Pre" but that's because you never had more than a half dozen cards open anyway. With literally every app on the phone in the "recents" stack, not so much.
Agreed, it made sense in your head. I don't think too many of us expected the recents list to never depopulate even after a reboot so that was unexpected. Still I tried for a while to give it a chance because so many here were so enthusiastic about it and nope, it was terrible. It got to the point where I'd have to look on other devices to see what tabs were open on the phone and I just thought "This is ridiculous" and disabled it.

Maybe if recents would group the Chrome tabs in a sensible way but no, they're just shat all over a rolodex of like fifty things.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skywalker OG posted:

I always thought it would be a horrible idea.
You and me both, brother.

joepinetree posted:

Just wanted to reply to this because i found the culprit. Commute sharing was on on google now, and since i went on the road trips straight after work google now kept broadcasting as if I was on my commute home. That was what ate up so much data.
Thanks for this, a genuine "Huh" from me. I get the feeling Google overlooks things like this just because of the SV attitude of "well we all have unlimited data, right?" when in flyover country that is definitely not the case.

Ashex posted:

Does the Wifi usage stay on with Lollipop for anyone else? I turn off Wifi and it still shows as being used, I have it turned off for Location too so it's not being randomly turned on by that. It's in continuous usage.
Please just stop turning off wifi. It doesn't kill your battery, it doesn't do anything except work as it should for location features. I know it's tough to accept given where Android came from but seriously freeing yourself from janitoring this will only make your life better. Just turn off notifications for unknown access points and enjoy some freedom from micromanaging. I did it in the Gingerbread to ICS changeover and don't miss it at all. My wife waited until KitKat to Lollipop to do it and I can assure you it's just nice to forget that this was ever an issue.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ashex posted:

I guess I'll just leave it on, I've been having battery issues since upgrading to Lollipop (did a clean wipe) so I'm checking everything I can. Battery stats are useless so I'm going to root and use BetterBatteryStats instead.
Well let's see if we can't do a little tracking. How bad are we talking? Screen-on time? Signal?

When did the problems start? Did it coincide with the move to Germany or is this more recent? Are there good days and bad days or is it consistently bad?

When you set up it post-wipe did you make any changes in way you had the device set up? You must've done very little restoration since you're not rooted so at least we can run through a few scenarios. If you're thinking it's the battery you could always try returning to KitKat and seeing if the problems go away. I know it would be a pain without another device to use but you could try a fresh 5.0.1 image without any apps to see if the problem remains.

I can't help but think though that we're looking for an app (perhaps one that doesn't like something about Lollipop?) instead of a hardware or system issue.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

johnny sack posted:

I have a question about Lollipop.

Prior to upgrading my Nexus 4 to Lollipop, I could quickly access my phone's Song Search even without unlocking my screen. I would swipe a certain way and I could immediately begin searching for the song. Now, I can't figure a way to add a widget back to my unlock screen.

Is it possible to add this back with Lollipop?
Maybe?

One way might be to find an app that sticks a persistent notification to an app of your choice. Another might be to use the swipe up from the home button to launch into Google Now and invoke the listening that way.

Nothing will work as well as the old lockscreen widgets for your purpose unfortunately.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Variable_H posted:

Motorola is selling them direct now?
They have been for a while, it's how my wife got hers.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Whose beauty you now cannot see.
But once the phone is obsolete and someone else's, it will be perfect.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Does anyone use Google Voice Recognition for anything other than English? I'm learning a new language via Duolingo, but it doesn't have any speaking exercises so I want to use speech-to-text instead.

I enabled the secondary language in the voice settings menu, but I can't seem to change it when voice recognition is activated. The menu opens and I select the language, but it remains set to English. Changing my primary language doesn't work (i.e. still always set to English, even if it's a secondary language).

The weird thing is I had it working just fine for maybe five minutes, but this started happening and I have no idea what's going on. Googling it doesn't seem to offer any help.

Using KitKat 4.4.4 on a Nexus 4. The language I'm trying to use is Swedish if that matters.
Is there a language setting inside of Google Now?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kytrarewn posted:

Day old Droid Turbo: 50826

One day and you've got two moons, a virus scanner, and a battery meter? Four more persistent notifications and you'll level up!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pork Pie Hat posted:

So the thread consensus is basically, if it comes down to a straight choice between the oneplus one and the nexus 5, I'd be a tit to choose anything other than the nexus, right?
Hey you only live once and it's just a telephone. The Nexus is the safe bet but some people are risk-takers.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kytrarewn posted:

On the other hand, I'd love to know how to get that NFC notification to disappear.
Since it's on the left side of the notification panel, it must be generating a notification. Find that, long press it, press the App Info button that spawned and it will tell you which application is creating it.

You can then go into the app to see if there's a way to disable the notification or, from the app page, there is a way to disable all notifications from that app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Yeah I got that a while back when they first started giving away Gravity, just in case it was blocking the offer. Even when I said I didn't want it it kept coming back, so I figured I needed to bite the bullet on this one
This was exactly my situation except I never accepted Shaun the Sheep and they just offered Gravity the other day. I didn't like Gravity but I had just purchased The Interview and I didn't want my one and only purchase to look lonely so I accepted it.

hooah posted:

I'm at my in-laws', and tried to set their place as a trusted location on my N4, but the pin is always ~500 feet off. I opened Maps up, and same thing (submitted feedback there). I tried setting the location where the pin thinks I am, but that didn't work. Any ideas?
I had a similar scenario trying to set my parents' place in my N5. The pin was in the correct place but it wouldn't let me set it as a location without "finding" anything at the typed-in address. I tried again later in the day and it just worked.

The location being so far off on the N4 is incidentally why my wife retired it early and used a Moto G while she waited for the N6 to be available. It never did get an accurate GPS lock.

What I'd tell you to do is use a GPS app like this to ensure you have an accurate GPS lock at your position and make sure you're connected to your in-laws' wifi network. You do have wifi scanning enabled and fine location data turned on, correct?

---------------

I just figured out that you won't get heads-up notifications in Hangouts if you have vibration unchecked. What the gently caress is that about?

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 29, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I've been able to get a pretty good lock just fine previously, and I do have those settings enabled. That GPS app says I'm at [some degrees 1], 54.084 minutes N, [some degrees 2], 54.351 minutes W, which convert to [some degrees 1].901533 and [some degrees 2].905633. When I go to Google Maps and drop a pin at the correct location, it gives [some degrees 1].901197 and [some degrees 2].906427 as the coordinates. It looks like it's about 500 feet off, as I suspected. That's annoying.

But even so, why wouldn't setting the wrong location as the trusted location work, if that's where the phone thinks it is?
That's odd that Google Maps would report differently from the GPS app as both should be accessing the same location data. Does the GPS app report that it has a positive lock on a lot of satellites? It would never have occurred to me to compare the actual coordinates but that's weird as hell.

Like I said, I had to actually put in an address that matched where I was physically to set up a trusted location. I imagine if the location Google thinks you are doesn't match the location you say you are and doesn't match the location they think the wifi network is it just won't let you set it as trusted because it's obviously incorrect.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LastInLine posted:

I just figured out that you won't get heads-up notifications in Hangouts if you have vibration unchecked. What the gently caress is that about?
Actually it turns out you have to have either a sound that isn't Silent or vibration. Ridiculous that I have to create a silent notification tone just to get this to work.

Reverse Centaur posted:

Trusted location/smart lock is the only thing that didn't work great out of the box on my N6. I still have to do a pattern daily despite having two trusted bluetooth devices (G Watch R and Keylink) and my home location as trusted. And the GPS shows my location perfectly, down to the correct unit of the condo.

I even turned on face recognition and I still have to do a pattern.
It works for me but I always have to pass a secure lockscreen once a day. I think that's by design.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Sorry, I wasn't quite clear. I looked at Google Maps on my computer. The GPS app showed something like 5 or 7 satellites locked on. Google probably doesn't know where this wifi network is since my in-laws moved here very recently. Is there a way to tell Google about it?
Presumably you're doing that for them right now by using your telephone while keeping location services on.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

I've been thinking about getting a Nexus 6 though AT&T, can you just flash the image from https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images and be rid of the AT&T stuff?
As long as you do initial setup without the SIM in, yes. If you're rooted you can also just remove everything in the /oem partition.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

Or just use the phone as the manufacturer/oem intended and stop being a sperg.
Um, that's exactly what that does, sets the phone up as the manufacturer/oem intended.

You do understand that what they're talking about is removing the fully optional carrier modifications to the device, correct? They're literally discussing returning it to the correct manufacturer-specified behavior.

Knifegrab posted:

When I tried to use this I got a message saying "Your carrier has blocked wifi in the latest phone update". Any suggestions?
You could try abiding by the terms of your service and paying for it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I will be the first to say that carriers in general and Verizon specifically are evil, but there's no just no way to rationalize that allowing tethering on an unlimited plan is a tenable position from a network management standpoint. It wasn't sold with the ability to do it and unlimited plans haven't been sold by them for three years at this point.

Network bandwidth is in fact a limited resource and I would argue that Verizon should do their part to make it available to all of their subscribers and not just those who choose to abuse it at the expense of everyone else.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't know why AT&T and Verizon don't just force everyone out of contract onto a modern plan. As far as I'm aware there's nothing preventing them from doing so except fear of churn and, let's face it, they can afford the churn. Just tell everyone on an unlimited plan that no, you can't do that anymore, and you can sign a new contract on a new plan or GTFO.

Edit: In case it's unclear to you, that open-access rule on the C-block only applies to capped data plans. It also only applies to the C-block and Verizon is increasingly using AWS to supplement their C-block holdings. Effectively that means that while they still can't block tethering on the C-block they have some weasel room if it comes down to a confrontation with the FCC (something they've shown they don't fear, yay captive regulation!).

In any case all carriers (to my knowledge) now include tethering just as a part of their service agreements, all you have to do is update to a modern plan and hey, you no longer have to play cat and mouse with their detection software. It really only becomes an issue when you try to have your cake and eat it too.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 29, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Because it's not worth it, that's why. In real terms, those users are not costing them any additional resources and even a fraction of a percent of churn could cause their shareholders to go into panic mode.
You'd know better than me, you're who I trust for Verizon stuff, but I don't think that's necessarily the case.

First off, there's just nowhere for a lot of customers to go. A lot of people are on Verizon because they need to be. Sprint and T-Mobile don't offer the coverage of Verizon in a lot of areas (read: anywhere rural, so 50% of America) making AT&T the only other option.

Secondly, any move they make in this area is likely to be mirrored by AT&T. It's not collusion, it's coincidence! They've done that many, many times over the years to avoid real competition and they'd do it again.

Third, while I'm sure many would say they'd leave if Verizon did that, I doubt many would. Particularly if the modern plans end up being cheaper on a monthly basis. You'd know better than me if that's the case but with every other provider their modern plans are cheaper than their older ones, is that not the case with Verizon?

Lastly, they only need to do it to the people abusing it. They know how many people are using vast quantities of data per month. Just find out the line of where those people are costing you more than you're making and cut them off. I'd have to imagine if it's like most ISP figures that there's a very obvious low percentage of abusers relative to the rest of the users.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

The point is that even the abusers are literally costing them next to nothing. Spectrum congestion is due to population density and has little to do with how much data an individual uses and bandwidth is dirt loving cheap once you are off the tower. They do things to make unlimited unattractive, but they are still better off having an unlimited customer than not so they aren't going to rock the boat too much.

You asked why they don't do it and the reason is someone has calculated that it will end up costing them more than if they just left things alone. So, they leave things alone.
Yeah that makes sense, obviously they'd do it if they needed to. The thing that gets me is it's not like unlimited customers have anywhere else to go. No one is going to sell them an unlimited plan so what are they going to do? Go somewhere else and pay more for less coverage and less data? Verizon hasn't historically been concerned with how their customers feel, why is this line the one to hold? Why go through the trouble of stopping tethering, not allowing subsidies on unlimited plans, etc. when they could just... not?

I'm also skeptical that their math includes the customer service and billing savings that killing legacy plans gives you. I can't find it now but T-Mobile said when they forced people off legacies that they were dealing with hundreds of plans. I should note that their postpaid numbers went up (a lot) after forcing people to modern plans mainly because their modern plans aren't designed to gently caress people over. Verizon could do the same but they'd have to resist the urge to gently caress their customers as hard as possible which I'm not sure they could do.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Unlimited plans are the least of Verizon's billing woes. Their entire system is a gigantic clusterfuck and I honestly wonder if keeping the unlimited plans is simply because no one can figure out how to remove them. When I first ordered Quantum TV to replace my regular DVR, I got shipped 3 routers instead of one router and two STBs. It's that bad.

As to where to go, I know if I was punted off my unlimited I would immediately go to Cricket. I would also probably drop most of my FiOS services as well since I get a discount by bundling my cell service.

So, at least with me, Verizon risks hundreds of dollars of services a month by loving with my plans. I'm at a peaceful standoff with them right now in that what I'm getting isn't costing me a whole lot when it's all totaled up. But it's like a jenga structure. Pull one block wrong and the whole thing collapses.

They do this on the FiOS side too. I'm on a plan that expired in 2010, but I haven't touched anything because renewing would mean a minimum of $15 /month rate hike with no improvement to my services. Sure, I would get 50/50 internet instead of 35/35, but that really wouldn't give me any real world improvement.
Ah, I think I understand now. Thanks! :)

Knifegrab posted:

I don't have an unlimited plan, I have a single line plan with 2 Gb of data usage.
Oh, in that case gently caress 'em. Tether all you want, they're just being dicks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Magog posted:

So I figured out the price gap between the nexus 5 and the nexus 6, the nexus 6' included Sim card slot key is metal not plastic :downs: . Also despite all google/motorola's efforts I finally got one.
I'm pretty sure my Nexus 5 SIM key is metal. I'm not going to dig it out to verify that though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Michaellaneous posted:

A note beforehand: I was stupid and posted this in the haus of tech support where it didn't belong so I am just going to paste this here. Some people said this is probably a hardware issue but I wanna ask the pros.

Problem description: I bought my new Galaxy S5 around two weeks ago. It is branded. The custom Android from Samsung is bloated and utter garbage imho.
A few days ago random apps started crashing. Something Awful Browser, Youtube, and sometimes even device-stuff like "Settings" or "S-Voice". Sometimes even "com.google." things. At times the device completely hosed and rebooted as well.

Now, let me be clear - this is completely orginial. I did not root it, nor did I put any software other than Apps from the PlayStore on it. I have done nothing with this device.
Today in the morning it suddenly crashed, randomly, stuck in a bootloop. At times it managed to boot only to have a program crash after 30 seconds and resetting my phone. At one point it started to work again.

Today in the evening it just commited suicide, I think. Phone stuck in bootloop, when it gets up a program crashes and throws it back into the loop. I read a bit on google, went into the advanced mode and cleared the cache which worked once. Things like Hangout crashing, and so on. I decided gently caress it - cache clear, complete phone reset. Didn't do anything. I got into the set-up process once in which another program instantly crashes. At this point it is like sitting there with two six-shooters with five bullets each. Will the phone boot? Lucky you. Now you gotta pull the other trigger and see if an important program crashes.

Attempted fixes: Clear Cache, reset phone. Removing of SD, SIM, and flip-cover. Bang head against wall.

Recent changes: No. Got more mad.

--

Operating system: Up-to-date Android for Samsung Devices.

System specs: G900

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Altough "S5 completely hosed want to throw it out the window" is not a good google term.
Sounds like it's got bad NAND.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

For all you N4 users with the battery issues, it's been two years, it's time to upgrade. You can open it up and change the battery if you want (might as well replace the USB daughterboard while you're at it) but really, why would you? It's old, lacks LTE, and is on the far end of support.

Maybe it's time to move on.

Michaellaneous posted:

Just out of technical interest, is it possible to check the integrity of the NAND flash with ADB?
ADB requires you to be into Android, I would imagine that would have to be done in fastboot and Samsung phones lack fastboot as far as I know.

Even then you still have the problem where if the NAND controller can't sort out the bad spots in it, how is it supposed to report them to the tool? It's fairly obvious from the behavior that the storage is causing either data corruption or errors in reading it, diagnosing it further won't make it work properly. There's nothing to do but replace the entire thing.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 30, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Michaellaneous posted:

Yes, I realize that diagnosing the error will not fix it, but I would still like to be certain.
You also have to understand that the service in this country is terrible. So when I get there with nothing they'll be like "Yeah but this and that and bla", so I'd rather show them a print of a dmesg log that shows exactly what's wrong.
You just aren't going to get the level of certainty you want. I mean, I understand why you'd like it but there just isn't anything that does it. Assuming you bought it new you're just going to have to deal with either your carrier or Samsung to replace it.

Hace posted:

Wait, battery degradation is still that severe?
It's not nothing and two years is about what devices are expected to last. It's not like the battery driver ever worked properly at all and the battery itself is certainly aging and not what it used to be. The radio in the N4 also never worked properly and oscillated between wakelocking and dropping for years, never quite being able to reliably work even before Google broke it further by splitting off part of it into the Android software in order to break LTE which caused all sorts of nagging issues. The radio, I'll remind you, has a tremendous effect on battery life and so can't ever really be ignored when discussing battery life.

If you're on T-Mobile you've probably also got issues with changing network topography affecting your reception. They're moving a lot of stuff around and it certainly can affect battery life as HSPA signals move to lower power and harder to receive bands.

In short, you can keep hunting down these problems but it's a game that's been going on for two years and they're obviously no closer to making the battery driver or the radio work properly. I doubt they're going to resolve them prior to the device's end of life.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Eremys posted:

Question for those who have purchased phones through Google in the past. How do they usually handle warranty repairs? So they most often just do a replacement/swap or do they make you send it in first and be without a phone while they repair it and send it back? Also, do they have an out-of-warranty repair option like apple does; for example, if you bust the screen and want to get it repaired? I have a N6 for reference.
They ship to you then you ship back. There's a hold on the payment card you used to purchase the device.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hace posted:

Maybe it's just me, but a phone with a life expectancy of only 2 years seems pretty short!
You sound like a consumer instead of a carrier or manufacturer whose bottom line relies on selling you phones.

How do you think LG looks at it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

I don't know about specifically checking the NAND, but that's how I worked out my GNex was officially toast

I forget the specifics but you can run adb shell when you're in... recovery I think? And from there you can run fsck on every partition - I'm not super familiar with it so I don't know all the testing options you can try, but mine threw up a bunch of journalling errors and couldn't restore any superblocks, and when I tried to do it manually with every superblock copy none of them would work. If you know what the hell I'm talking about!

e- you should just get it replaced though y'know
I'll never remember that ADB works in recovery. I swear I've forgotten that a hundred times.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Variable_H posted:

Your Cell Phone is a Piece of poo poo
At least it's a one-off.

Remember when Samsung used bad NAND in some Galaxy S models (I think it was the Canadian one) and they had like a 70% failure rate but they'd replace it once and after that gently caress you?

This is of course the same model that had disconnected GPS antennas in the T-Mobile and AT&T models and lovely GPS in all the others including the Google Nexus S.

Remember how this was good enough to make Samsung the only profitable Android OEM?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

and I love the placement of the headphone jack!
Heresy.

Bottom headphone jack for life.

nerve posted:

I have hands that are probably average to below average in size and after a week of using the N6 I was completely used to it, use it one handed frequently, and am very happy I decided to go with my enormous whalephone
My wife uses hers one-handed without issue but she also never uses pockets for anything so probably not analogous to most. I think I'd get used to using it but I doubt I'd ever get used to carrying it.

dissss posted:

Everything else works fine and depending on where you are LTE may not be a big deal at all.
I did specifically mention that I was talking to all those whose Nexus 4s were not working fine, to be fair.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

This is exactly the kind of thing that keeps Apple users Apple users. I don't know if you're just unfamiliar with how well Continuity and Handoff work or if you actually believe AirDroid isn't a horrible hack in comparison but either way it's indicative of the lack of understanding Android users show when they claim to not get why iOS users claim Android is unfinished and unpolished.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

... or he was suggesting what he thought was the closest thing in Android land.
Even then it's very much not the same thing. It doesn't do anything that Continuity does at all. It does SMS at your desktop when you've got a webpage open on the same Wi-Fi network kind of.

To actually address the concerns of the person asking, it might be helpful to point out that Google's reliance on web services mean that everything is always in sync between devices all the time anyway (assuming you use Google services--it falls apart quickly when you don't use GMail or Drive).

As for SMS there are a few solutions, most far more convenient than AirDroid, but all requiring some adjustment from the Mac side of things to make it work.

A one line throw out of "use AirDroid" is neither informative nor particularly helpful given the question.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ochowie posted:

I guess I should have actually asked a question. Have people experienced this or do I have a bad device?
I don't think it's the device. It sounds like it's a runaway app.

I've never seen it happen though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Also Currents no longer works (replaced by Google News and Weather (updated freaking finally and also not the same thing as Google Play Newsstand)) and neither does Email (it just redirects to Gmail's support for POP3/IMAP/Exchange* now, if it's updated, and maybe if it's not if the system image is new enough).

Feel free to disable both in App Info.

EDIT: This observation may apply to the Nexus 5 and probably doesn't to the Nexus 6.

*Only with Gmail Exchange services, which you should have but aren't guaranteed to (sideload from APKmirror or somewhere if you can't add an Exchange account to Gmail or in Settings, because it's not offered on Google Play).
Currents will update and disappear all on its own if you let it.

vvv In fact when Currents updates to disappear it explicitly says that it's been replaced with Play Newsstand.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 2, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BoyBlunder posted:

Serious question.

I've got a 64GB Moto X 2014 coming my way. I have a (fully) unlimited T-Mobile plan. Should I return it, keep all my poo poo in the cloud (I do a lot of music streaming), and get a 32GB instead?

I don't play a lot of games. What else would I fill up 64GB with?
You're not going to fill it up at all, but what's the harm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Ugh. I just got this Nexus 6 and made the mistake of CJing it. I unlocked, removed the oem ringtones, boot screen, all that jazz.

Set it all up. Set up all 5 two factor authentication accounts. Good phone. Then I rebooted to relock the bootloader. Big mistake.

I reboot and am greeted by the new setup screen. All that work, I now have to do again.

Good god google, why do you have to suck so bad.

NEVER CJ A PHONE. IT'S NEVER WORTH IT.
At least you know this time not to set it up with the SIM in and you'll be fine.

ilkhan posted:

Or you should have lived with the dumbass startup screen which you MIGHT see once a month.
I mean, I understand rooting a Nexus, its easy and fast. But why bother relocking it?
There's not really a point to doing so until you're restoring it for the last time to sell it. I guess there's a thin layer of security in leaving it unlocked but certainly not enough to worry about.