Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I have an at&t one sitting in a box. I guess I should get it unlocked and sell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Hey guys! I went to answer a text message today and I got an error message saying "hangouts requires google play services, which is not installed on your phone. Click here to download it from the google play store."

When I clicked the google play store link, it wouldn't load. Now, deep down I know that I just happened to catch it mid-install of a new google play services update, but if I was a normal person I would definitely think that android was poo poo. That kind of user experience blows and is not acceptable.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but here goes anyway:

Whenever I copy a video from my computer to my phone (Galaxy s5), it asks to convert it first. This increases the time it takes to transfer, which has occasionally caused timeouts (Windows seems to think the phone becomes disconnected, which it isn't, no idea why).

What specific format / whatever-you-want-to-calls-it is the phone looking for?

Q: does the video have subtitles?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

As long as you haven't hosed with your phone and rooted it or done other stuff, it is really simple to download the OTA and sideload it using "adb update." That keeps all your data in place and is identical to waiting to get the OTA, except you don't have to wait.

Cool, so can I do this with a locked bootloader? I'll gladly wait if there's any chance of this causing me to re-setup my phone.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

LastInLine posted:

It'll be HTC's next Thunderbolt.

RIP HTC

Just remake the nexus one

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

To anyone looking for "which phone should I get?" advice, the score hasn't changed at all. Your options are iphone 6 (big or small) or Nexus 6 (big) or 2013 Moto X (small). Anything else results in misery.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I know you want to defend your purchase, but please don't forget history. The Droid Turbo's life will almost certainly mimic that of the Droid Maxx. Sure, it seems like an improved version of the moto x. Better line items on the information sheet, but it's still ugly and verizon still has you by the balls for updates. The Droid Maxx made a valiant effort to stay in line with the moto x for updates, but you know motorola isn't going to/can't devote resources to a single carrier phone that (by several accounts) has the strictest update process. The Turbo will be the same way. Good support at first, but will taper off far before that of the Nexus 6 or the multi-carrier sibling it's trying to out-line item (2014 moto x). We've been through this before, we have the data points, we know what works and what doesn't. Don't buy phones that aren't directly supported by the platform creator and especially don't buy phones that aren't on all major carriers.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, The Verge always gets really really weird battery life results. Their results for the Droid MAXX were literally half of what I would have gotten in the same conditions.

In case you haven't noticed, the Droid MAXX is on the same update cycle as the Moto X. Neither have lollipop yet on Verizon. Both are on 4.4.4. In fact, you could argue that the MAXX is seeing better update support since it at least has VoLTE where the X does not.

Verizon has X owners just as by the balls for updates. They all have to be approved by the carrier.

If the maxx is on the same minor version* of android as the 2013 X after they both have ended support, I will EAT MY HAT.

*that means the first number and the second number will be the same, so 5.2.1 and 5.2.7 will be treated equally

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

MikusR posted:

Try uninstalling updates and clearing cache to Play Services first.

Yo if you hit "uninstall updates" doesn't it take you back to the version that shipped with the phone? So wouldn't you be missing out on a ton of API updates that could cause your apps to freak out/misbehave? I could def. see an app only checking for the presence of a feature on first run, then just assuming you have it afterward. This sounds like a bad idea and I don't recommend it!!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

LastInLine posted:

It wouldn't work anyway as Play Services is updated whether you want it to or not and if an app needs an API in a version you don't have the app refuses to run, dumps you immediately to the Play Store Play Services page and updates immediately without any user intervention.

Clearing the cache only makes Play Services work harder because, duh, it has to rebuild the cache and it will do that whether you want it to or not.

It is not designed to be hosed with.

Thanks for the info! Sounds like a dumb thing to do and suggest!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

butt dickus posted:

PHA means "Potentially Harmful App"

Don't root and don't install non-play store apps!!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Wow, songs playing completely randomly? That's never happened to me, but if it did I'd think android was complete dogshit and switch to iOS. Why would you continue to use something that fucks up something as basic as "don't do things arbitrarily"?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

In Google Play Music, does anyone else have an issue where the currently playing track just randomly pauses? This happens on Chromecast, bluetooth, headphones, normal phone speakers, anywhere. I think it's always been on a pinned playlist (I have all access).

I have not experienced this.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ahahahaha yeah, let me get a few more hours of anime in by making my phone look like its on the other side of a screen door.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Merv Burger posted:

You can just make a contact that you dump all the numbers you want to go straight to voicemail into, and you go to the overflow menu while in the edit contact screen you can check an option for "All calls to voicemail."

This is with default dialer and contacts from Google.

It's really lovely that the official "fix" is a hacky workaround.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Well his post was after I had tried running it. Anyway I didn't do anything else it asked because I was skeptical, I just turned off most of my google syncing instead.

I'd recommend installing a custom rom and maybe an optimized kernel.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Edit: I'm also mad that the Moto X takes an even smaller SIM card, and I didn't know that, so it's yet another day (well...half day) before I can use it, assuming AT&T will let me just get a new nano-SIM card in the store...i don't see why they wouldn't, but you never know.

They're easy to cut down. Google for a stencil and go to town, I did one just last night for my cousin.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

There are some really smart people at google, why can't they figure out how to handle os updates half as well as apple?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

It looks like the belt rubbed off the white on the phone bezel. If it's really a smudge, good luck. If it's removed the coating, you're screwed.

Are you telling me there isn't a clear plastic or glass layer on top of the white layer?
Lol why does anyone buy such poorly made products?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I get that most people that buy samsungs don't read message boards about cell phones, but there are people in this very thread that have seen the terrible quality samsung repeatedly delivers and still they recommend them and think "this time will be different."

Repeat samsung owners are the bitcoiners of the cell phone world. Repeatedly kicked in the nuts and asking for more.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

comper posted:

Quality-wise, the S6 and S6E are definitely different this time.

Dirk Funk posted:

So, my girlfriend has had her S6 less than 2 days and the metal on the bottom is rubbing off onto the front of the phone and it seems permanent as it won't clean off. This happened when she walked about a mile with the phone in the front of her jeans pocket with nothing else in it. These are normal jeans and not tight or anything like that. It would seem some is off with the metal on this phone and this problem will just get worse over time.

Is this something covered under warranty?

http://i.imgur.com/Nr4RfzH.jpg

Edit: Changed image to a link. It was way too big.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Why would you get anything buy the Nexus 6? Official support from google.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

To irritate you.

=)

I guess I'm just not a power user like the rest of y'all. I've never had to worry about battery with my N6. Coming from the '13 X I was really worried about the size, but it was surprising how quickly I adjusted to it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Forced updates should be the norm and there's no reason at all not to do it. Users should not have the option to forgo security patches and API updates because it puts them at risk for things they do not and cannot understand.

As for the linked article, I have a tough time believing it's anything but cheap NAND dying. Reading through the thread, none of the afflicted users had this happen immediately upon update but rather some time later. Their train of thought seems to be "Well the last thing that changed is that update and now my device doesn't work," which does anything but point to it being software issue. It's far more likely that it was dying anyway and they're just connecting dots that don't exist.

Of course all the users in the thread are on Lollipop--that's the current software release. I'd imagine somewhere near 100% of the iPhone hardware failures Apple has had to deal with in the last few months has been on devices running iOS 8.

If anything the current tempest in a teapot about this is a great example of why updates should be forced because anyone reading it thinking the software is causing hardware failures days, weeks, and months later and therefore chooses to forgo updating really shouldn't be in charge of making such decisions as they clearly lack the understanding necessary to make an informed choice. :colbert:

Thanks for this. I completely agree and it blows my mind when someone's like "I am going to ignore this update because I'm just not sure about it." You're buying a device from a manufacturer that should be reputable. If you can't trust them and the software they give you then you need to switch vendors.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shai-Hulud posted:

So I've installed a google play services update from Androidpolice without even noticing that there are different version for different phones. What can I say, I wanted to get rid of that android wear notification.

Can anyone with a M8 tell me what the last three digits in the version number of google Play Services are? The ones after the -

Yeah, this is why people should just let their phone handle poo poo for them.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Are any of the following true?
- you are rooted
- you have a custom ROM
- you allow installation of non play store apps
- you have pirated apps
- you consciously choose to not be on the latest version of your os and/or google play services/android webview

edit: please still answer my question but a quick google shows you're hosed.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 19, 2015

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Well that's a much simpler and much better explanation. I feel like you'd have to actively try to get mobile spyware.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Some evil person gave my grandpa a galaxy s3 and convinced him to use it instead of his flip phone. I had to set it up for him tonight, Jesus loving Christ I hate Samsung. There were so many apps that were just completely useless, and that's not counting carrier apps or bundled ones. The settings menu is completely disorganized and there were literally three pages of "quick access settings" in the pull down menu.

I was against Samsung before, but I'm now actually offended anyone ever gives them money. May they die in a sea of lawsuits.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yo their precautions and restrictions are probably more about ensuring good survey data than how much of their google funbucks they give out. Nobody's gonna pay them to do a survey if they have unreliable responses.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

A toggle that toggles whether or not to show the toggles.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The Spookmaster posted:

Is there some way to change that awful light blue color for the notification drop down panel? I just got the Verizon note 3 lollipop update and my eyes are burning.

While their software leaves a lot to desire, Samsung makes great hardware. I always recommend people buy a mediocre product and soup it up with a custom rom. You'll end up with a much better experience than just buying a good phone and not modifying it.

Try throwing the latest cyanogenmod on it and report back with results. ☺

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Grimes posted:

I have a Galaxy Nexus with a big crack in the screen and super wonky GPS and I'm looking to upgrade. I don't care about having the latest phone, I just want something better that's $200 or under with expandable memory and a removable battery. Should I buy something new in my price range, or look for something used?

You should stop wanting those features and get a 2013 moto x.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Amendment: Put your poo poo in the cloud, pin/save/make stuff available offline intelligently while on wifi. You probably don't need your entire music collection available at all times, so pin stuff you're currently into, and if you have to stream a random song or album, go for it, that's what your mobile data is for!

Also, buy at minimum a 32 GB phone, and store a good chunk of your music locally without needing an SD card!

I don't even bother pinning anything. When I'm on a plane I have plenty of music available offline, even things not in my library, but that I like. It's really smart.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Do you take it out regularly? I'd have to guess that the phone's sim reader would be far more likely to give up than the sim card itself. They're pretty simple.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Haven't taken it out since I got it. I tried putting a coworker's SIM in my phone and it worked, so I think it's just a faulty SIM.

Can't argue with that. I'm sure your carrier store could have you back up and running in 5 minutes. If the contacts are clean, there's probably nothing you can do for it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Neat pictures. It shouldn't surprise anyone that Samsung actually cares very little about their products, though. They will do the bare minimum to convince people they're "as good as iphone" and buy them. The hardware is poorly made and their software is user-hostile. I totally get why the general population buys them, but I'll never understand why posters here would recommend or even list them as considerations.

Death to Samsung.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

butt dickus posted:

Or maybe the placement of external holes is a result of efficient use of internal space? It seems like caring where the holes are on the outside could lead to making compromises on the insides. There's arguments you can make either way.

you could make the argument that they care more about functionality than aesthetics, but then you get to their software and realize they have neither.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mnemosyne posted:

I hadn't tried it until you mentioned it, but I haven't been able to successfully take one yet. The volume bar comes up every time, even if I start with the power button first.

Are you the black and white person on infomercials?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

removable storage is haram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

xcore posted:

My wife's phone has gone to poo poo. She has a case and hasn't dropped her phone but the screen has wigged out.

She got the screen replaced about 5 months ago (from dropping it) from an authorised repair centre. Can someone with more knowledge of phone tech diagnose whether this is due to a faulty screen or a faulty phone?

If it is a faulty screen, does that make it likely she can get it replaced again on warranty?

Judging from the location of the power button (as indicated by symbol printed on the factory screen protector) it looks like a nexus 4.