Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
But not everything is worth insuring. Actually, most things aren't. That's why everything has the option to be insured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Peculiar bug. Just moved to the 5x and when composing an email in Nine the keyboard is not automatically capitalizing the first word in a sentence. My keyboard is doing so in any other app and I cannot identify any settings in Nine that would address this.

Any ideas?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Update to the Android Auto app just came out. Seems like it's fixing a lot of performance issues (at least with one drives experience). I was getting very frustrated with AA as it was getting sluggish, non-responsive, or flat out crashing left and right. I originally thought it was because the Moto G was low powered and it didn't have enough to drive the display also but then I got my 5X and experienced even worse performance.

Was even going as far to begin testing to see if turning off my Moto 360 during the drive would help anything. So far smooth as butter.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I really like the looks of the 5x. Very solid design and device. The bump is not very pronounced at all.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Yeah that was added in the first point update to Lollipop.

I can't wait to get a new notification. I had no idea. That's awesome.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Cross posting this from the iPhone thread as it can be argued from both sides of the fence which thread can help the most:

My wife wants to try Android for a spin on my 3rd gen G. I recall two years ago when I switched there was a big issue with iMessage hijacking your device number somehow and causing problems once you put your sim in the new device.

Has this issue been worked out? Are there any steps I can take to minimize disruption and have a seamless transition between the two OSs (and likely back again)?

Thanks in advance.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks! So the technical issue is more than iMessage doesn't follow the standard MMS format on outgoings so much when you switch it doesn't roll over. Have to wonder if there was a benefit to that switch or just apple being apple.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Google has a 15 day return period. If indeed it's 2 weeks you got time still.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

Because there is a set of configuration tables in the AOSP build for the 5x that specify which SIM cards should trigger entitlement checks with the carrier. For instance, if you have an AT&T SIM in your device, it'll use this table.

code:
<!-- Entitlement APP provisioning for Tethering -->
    <string-array translatable="false" name="config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app">
        <item>com.lge.entitlement</item>
        <item>com.lge.entitlement.EntitlementDialogActivity</item>
    </string-array>
You'll notice that the Nexus 5 table for the same MCC/MNC combination does not include the entitlement check.

This stuff started with the Nexus 6 last year.

If you want to tether without restriction, and use the native app, you will need to root and put

code:
net.tethering.noprovisioning=true
at the end of your /system/build.prop.

As someone who has never rooted what impacts should I expect if all I did was this change. Any issues with stability or updates?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yeah, you'll stop getting system updates as soon as you touch the /system partition.

Aside from that is there a potential for instability or other unexpected issues? Or is rooting not the same thing as jailbreaking an iPhone which requires some weird hacker fiddling underneath the hood?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Instability? No not really, but with monthly updates coming out for the nexus you'd need to get comfortable with flashing a system image every 4/5 weeks

That doesn't involve a wipe, and only takes 5/10 mins but it's more than a lot are willing to deal with. There's also the possibility of a bit of a delay as chainfire makes a compatible boot.img available each time

Also you should be aware if you haven't unlocked your bootloader, that will require a full wipe the first time, and you get a grumpy message every time you restart :mad:

You should take that discussion to the root thread though

Thanks for the input. I'll pop over that for any more detail. Thought it was still appropriate as we are discussing the fringes of it all.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

This guy got Samsunged, but in a good way!

http://www.smh.com.au/world/paris-attacks-mobile-phone-saved-mans-life-outside-stade-de-france-20151114-gkz3ok.html

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

That's weird, using that app the official cable that came with my 5x is showing up as bad.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

repiv posted:

The app is only for testing A to C cables, the 5X only comes with a C to C so I think you're doing it wrong.

Welp, you're completely right. Derp.

Which, on another note. I accidentally ordered a Micro-B to Micro-C.... any friggen use for this cable?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Super Dude posted:

Charging other devices using your new phone's battery?

Didn't know that was a feature, kind of fringe case but at least there's a purpose. =/

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

I have smart unlock with my watch so the fingerprint scanner is unused. But it is cool.

What is used is sms though and messenger is not sending texts to my wife's 6P. Every other person can receive my texts and I can see theirs. Same with her phone, apparently. Any ideas?

The part that never sat right with me with the watch smart unlock is that I could be within a decent distance of my phone and it'd still unlock. For instance, I leave it at my desk to go talk to a coworker, it's exposed.

The fingerprint is awesome as hell. Solid security with zero downside or inconvenience.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Require More Fire posted:

Switch to Google Voice for your voicemail. You can either receive the voicemails in Hangouts, or if you install the old busted Google Voice app you can then enable the built-in visual voicemail tab in the dialer, which works very well.

EDIT: Follow these instructions, especially the "for Verizon customers" part. https://support.google.com/voice/answer/165656?hl=en

If I do not port my number to Google Voice, can I still accomplish this? I hate having to dial to retrieve my voicemail in 2015. Cursed Cricket.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

My wife was on day 15 for her N5x and got her return process started while jumping on the deal this morning. Also opened a purchase protection case study amex in hopes I can get some price matching for mine purchased in late October.

Maybe I'll make money today.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Do we have a list of C->A cables that meet the spec? I want to pick up a few and the one I got early on doesn't meet it. Google doesn't seem to have theirs on sale today but $13 doesn't seem too bad I suppose.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Awesome, thanks! Picked up a bunch at $10. Much appreciated.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Optimus Subprime posted:

Can anyone with a 32gb 5x let us know how much working storage they have after the baseline OS install and default apps? I am thinking of grabbing one during this sale.

My wifes replacement 5x (purchased hers two weeks ago, needed to buy another to take advantage of the price drop) is arriving today. Will try to take a look at it if I can grab it before she does.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I also encounter this issue, on cricket. I wish MMS would just die already so I could port to GV and just hangouts. I get added to too many group texts for work to do it now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

xcore posted:

After complaining about phones not coming with headphones and getting laughed out of the thread that this hasn't been a thing in years, my 5x actually came with a pair of headphones.

A bit bummed about the fact that there is no adapter/cable for connecting to USB-A. I'm all about moving technology forward, but it would help if they supplied some tools to help with the transition.

The last 6 years: "The best thing about Android is the Plug and PLay funtionality! Want some songs on your phone? Just drag and drop that poo poo. Done! No need for lovely iTunes."

2015: "I've got no way to connect to any PC that wasn't built in the last 6 months"

Did you buy it from Google? 99% sure mine didn't come with headphones. :(

that I will just throw in a drawer and never use because Bluetooth is a thing

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Why does the poo have a face :argh:

So I don't have to type the word 'pooface' when I need to call someone that.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

Check out Amazon for Benson Leung's reviews for cables that properly meet the spec.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A25GROL6KJV3QG/ref=cm_cr_rdp_pdp

I bought some straight off of his review and his app gave me a red failed icon. Oh well, I'm not overly concerned about it I suppose.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SB35 posted:

The CheckR app only works when conected to a computer and only for A->C cables.

Yes, it was an A/C and connected to both an iMac and a PC.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Logikv9 posted:

It's great that this thread seems to be descending into a bluetooth hate/love thread at the same time that my MXP is loving failing at BT. It connects fine, but then it gives me the Connected (no audio) disclaimer. It's worthless other than calls, although I haven't tested to see if calls actually work.

It was working literally 3 days ago. And I can't go back to the audio cable solution because Honda decided that such connections were OUTDATED and stuck an HDMI port in its place. Thanks.

I have a 16 Accord EX-L, where is this HDMI port and what does it do??

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

DemonMage posted:

A quick googling suggests they got rid of the HDMI port in (some) 2016s and use USB instead as they have Apple CarPlay, before that they had their own Display Audio which used HDMI(+USB?). Though apparently it was on Civics and not Accords anyways.

Ah, makes sense. Honda did a good job of integrating AA and CP with their two displays. Even having data from the Phone showing up on both displays.

Would have loved an HDMI port to play with. Can see my N7 camping out in my glovebox if so.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Logikv9 posted:

Congrats on your better car. The HDMI is usually worthless, as it only works when the car is stationary. This is fine for things like watching movies, and bad for things like using it as a mirror for navigation.

Wasn't trying to boast but be specific about the trim level to compare.

Thanks on the info, guess it would sound better than it would play out in reality.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Logikv9 posted:

Oh no, I wasn't trying to imply that you were boasting! I have the 2015 Fit EX and it (and the next model year) lack Android Auto when they really, really should be installed with it. It's really dumb and the Hondalink features they advertised aren't even available for Android. I honestly think that the Accord (and Civic, and any other Honda/car with AA) is better. I didn't mean the misunderstanding.

No worries, Internet lacks voice inflection.

Looks like 2017 is the year where AA/CP begin hitting the mainstream more. I hope Google focuses on improving the performance of AA because as of right now it decays very quickly. I was very surprised as to how laggy and unresponsive it would get on my N5x. No excuse for not answering a phone call before going to voicemail.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

FYI, just lowered the price on the two Nexus 5xs I have up in SA-Mart.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760519&perpage=40

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Jesus Christ. Which one of you enterprising goons ripped off our own brethren. Expected to see this hit shark tank first though...

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2016/01/gear-gripz-guarantees-you-dont-let-your-favorite-devices-slip-away-deals-hub.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Shannow posted:

I've been going back through this thread and googling about as I'm considering dropping cash on a 5x, am I an idiot? My launch bought N5 is really showing its age these days and it's pretty hrd to keep up with all that's new in phone world. Are there similarly priced better specced phones that run unfucked with android worth considering?

If you decide to do it I have two in SA-Mart. Good phones overall. Fingerprint is amazing.