Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

Sorry to bump without an update, my welding buddy is flat out booked with paying car jobs and keeps putting me at the back of the line. He is going on vacation next week and promises to finish my poo poo as soon as he gets back, but I was worried about the thread going archived.

The good news is I'm fully employed again now, I switch from contract to permanent starting Monday. Super busy, working lots of overtime because getting paid hourly rules.

Also after I posted that long rear end post honoring my dad, turns out he hates the Rolls. It feels like a 70's american car, everything is noisy clunky and loose. Nothing like the precision of the older ones. And it has a massive V8 run by dual SU carburetors with enough smog equipment on them to choke Monica Lewinsky. I didn't even bother to drive it, it's already up for resale. I'm sure he'll get another one, but it's going to be older. He never should have sold the '23. He had to, but he shouldn't have.

Congratulations on landing something again. The Rolls: It's the thought that counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Glad to say I can finally update some real progress. I got my welding buddy to give me some time. A month ago he finished welding these brackets which I then primed:

Then I fixtured up the pan with a ratchet strap:

And I cut cardboard templates for the motor mounts:

Then I ordered some square tubing and cut the pieces myself, so all he had to do is weld.

So today he carved out some time and welded the parts all together:

And the finished product, everything lines up as it should:

I have the clearance I wanted for the control arm:

A little more than I planned under the pan:

But the lower part of the pan is flush and parallel to the crossmember which is probably most important. I don't want this hanging down.

And back home ready to go in the car. I bought extra large washers and gave myself 1/2" of clearance in the mounts, so I can move the engine forward and backward as needed, to position it where I want. Also the fat washers allow me to adjust up and down or left and right by simply enlarging the holes in the brackets. So I should be able to fine tune the engine position perfectly:

That was the most frustrating part of the last 6 months, having the crossmember out of the car. This meant the car was immobile on jack stands, in the spot of my garage where I do all my work. So I had a couple other big jobs on my other cars that I had to do on the crowded side, which was not fun. Now that these mounts are done the crossmember does not have to come back out of the car ever again. I will though, to get it powder coated after all the other work is done.

In addition to finishing that, I got a holiday bonus at my new job which means car parts!

Radiator and fan kit!

This is a 13 x 18 core but it's 2 inches thick. It claims to be able to handle the cooling needs of up to 400 hp motors but we'll see about that. The fan is made for this radiator by flex-a-lite, and at 2.5" is the thinnest fan setup I could find. I like having the two fans, I can use the stock Volvo high/low fan logic to run one or both depending on how hot things are.

But the point of buying it is that it fits with very little modification to the car. I just have to widen the core supports.

So I did! This is the first irreversible damage to the car, no going back now! Heck, even if I did go back to the original motor this radiator is a far superior setup to the original. Also of course the damage isn't really irreversible, it would just require a couple repair panels from a junkyard car.

So while I had the sawzall out I decided to cut out the transmission tunnel:

I also bought an intercooler core but it hasn't arrived yet so no pictures. With the motor mounts done the next step is to try and fit the transmission into the car, and cut away the floorboards and firewall a half inch at a time until it clears. Then I'll know if I need any pedal modifications or anything like that. Between getting these parts done and having a job, I have much more motivation to work on this car again so I should have at least one more update before Christmas. My new goal is to have the car running by the annual import drag races which usually happen the first weekend in June.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nice! Glad to see that good things are happening.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Stuff's happening! Crossmember looks so good.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

LloydDobler posted:

So while I had the sawzall out I decided to cut out the transmission tunnel:

Nervewracking, ain't it?

Nice to see some progress, man.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Hell yeah! Nice to see you have all that extra pan clearance

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Holy poo poo! Two updates in a week? Yeah I have some motivation.

So things don't always work the way you want....

Just kidding, it goes in fine if you just tilt it under one side first. So Tuesday night I spent the whole evening re-assembling the suspension, the car is now back on its own wheels.

They attach to the engine very nicely. Right side:

Left side: You can see why I used such thick plate, since the bolts are fairly sparse and spread out.

But it goes back in generally where I wanted it.

Unfortunately the holes in the crossmember are pretty far off. The motor tilts waaaay back. I'll have to get a burr and elongate the front holes so I can tilt it down quite a bit.

The good news, I have plenty of room up front for everything. This is the radiator, fan, and a cardboard intercooler mockup all with room to move back toward the engine a little. Which is good because the intercooler is touching the grilles in this scenario.

I like this though, the crossmember is the lowest point.

Looks like the engine is slightly off to the left...

We'll deal with that later. Tonight I made a very simple alternator bracket.

Works great!

Plenty of clearance for the intake tubing.

I might have some trouble with an upper bracket though, these are basically the only two bolt holes available in that area. More research needed.

Still, great fit. I can definitely go to one size larger on the alternator if this one doesn't work for some reason.

But yeah, the engine is definitely off to the passenger side. Wonder what's up with that?

So now my up-pipe hits the fender.

Here you can see that the hole will have to go down a full bolt diameter to get the engine at the right angle.

So I'm not sure what's up with the engine misalignment, but I borked my mounts pretty badly. What sucks is that my oil pan centerline mark that you can see in my previous post is still lined up perfectly with the crossmember, and the pan clearance on the control arm is still right where I want it. So I somehow mis-communicated with myself, and things aren't quite adding up.

On the plus side, I think I can fix it by just changing the holes in the crossmember, but I'm worried a little about how severe the misalignment of the mounts will be. I'll have to see how easily bent those plates are. And if I can't bring the engine over to the driver's side I'll have a real problem. But I don't think that will be the case. If that turns out to be my biggest problem I'll take it, everything else is going pretty well so far.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

You are doing some very nice work. keep it up!

LloydDobler posted:

On the plus side, I think I can fix it by just changing the holes in the crossmember, but I'm worried a little about how severe the misalignment of the mounts will be. I'll have to see how easily bent those plates are. And if I can't bring the engine over to the driver's side I'll have a real problem. But I don't think that will be the case. If that turns out to be my biggest problem I'll take it, everything else is going pretty well so far.

Surely you could also fix it by just getting your mate to re-make the engine mounts for you? I think I would opt for that over elongating or re-drilling the holes in the crossmember.

I think you were being very brave making up engine mounts before getting a complete engine with ancillaries sitting in the hole!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I'll second Tomarse there. Those mounts are beefy enough that it looks like they could survive a cut and re-weld to get it closer without ovaling holes.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You guys are right, I'll either cut and twist the tubes, or I'll start over with the mounts and do them in steel instead. I already talked to my welding buddy and if we do it again, I'll just tow the whole car over to his shop for final fitment. It's very easy to get to the mounts with the manifolds off the engine.

One last update before the holidays arrive and the new year kicks in. This one was weird, I ordered 12" of 6 inch diameter, 1/8" wall tubing from Amazon. The box was rattling when I got it which confused me. I found this inside:

Apparently when you order 1 foot of large aluminum tube they send along a whole batch of 12" remnants as well. Not too shabby for $24 shipped.

Intercooler core arrived! mmmm, beefy.

Next I trimmed the brackets on the fan so they are a lot cleaner, and mounted the fan up.

Then I played the game of "who wants to ruin a $300 radiator"

Fortunately I didn't actually ruin it, I trimmed off the mounting tabs that raised it up a half inch. I don't want it that high so I removed them, I have another mounting scheme in mind.

I also removed the filler neck, as I don't need it either. I'll just cap the hole and put a bleeder nipple in its place that connects back to the reservoir, like the factory system.

Here you can see with things just balanced in place, that I have about a half inch between the intercooler and radiator, when they are close to final mounting position.

Here's the final clearance to the front of the engine. It's actually a little more than I originally planned, I do believe I can go back to the factory harmonic balancer and serpentine belt if I need to.

This just shows the clearance I was looking for by removing the filler neck:

This is sort of odd, there's still about 1/8" to 1/4" of air gap on the fan assembly. I think if I carefully work the seal, or possibly cut it back on the sides, I can get this fan to tuck even tighter against the radiator. Maybe even just remove the seal altogether.

This brace is necessary for proper hood closure but will have to be modified to clear the radiator:

Drilled out the welds:

This shows just how little I'll have to modify the top support, if I cut the flange and bend the middle part up a bit it'll sit right in like it was meant for it. Basically I'm just being uptight and refusing to cut this upper support like others do. Probably wasting my time but whatever, we all have our own quirks.

I'll be visiting family for the holidays so when I get back I'll finish the intercooler end tanks, and get it and the radiator mounted up properly and permanently. Sad that I just passed 2 years on this project, I did not anticipate it taking this long. On the other hand I didn't anticipate losing my job for 11 months meaning zero dollars for car mods. Back on track now though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Looking good. What did you need 6" tube for though?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I"m using it for rounded surfaces on the intercooler end tanks.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Are you going to do any ducting for the intercooler/radiator? Even with that huge open grill and nothing directing flow I have a feeling it might get a bit warm when driving it hard. Most of the air is just going to flow around the heat exchangers, path of least resistance and all.

Note: I'm an engineering nerd and it'll probably be fine anywhere but a road course.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Lookin' good man!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Larrymer posted:

Are you going to do any ducting for the intercooler/radiator? Even with that huge open grill and nothing directing flow I have a feeling it might get a bit warm when driving it hard. Most of the air is just going to flow around the heat exchangers, path of least resistance and all.

Note: I'm an engineering nerd and it'll probably be fine anywhere but a road course.

Dunno about ducting but the radiator support is a wall on both sides and the top with a rubber seal against the hood that forces 100% of the air through the radiator. At least the air that goes in the grilles. I plan to fill the gaps with rubber seals as well.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

this is cool as hell

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I can't believe I'm running into the archive deadline again. My welding friend is really sapping my motivation. He ignores me for weeks, then when I get mad and tell him to give me back my parts, he feels guilty enough to do some work. But he doesn't finish, and the cycle begins again. It sucks because we're friends and he's a nice guy, but it really slows the project down. He's had my intercooler since JANUARY.

But more than nothing is happening, I did trim the transmission tunnel a bit more and did my first test fit of the transmission.

It hit the firewall while still needing to go up another inch or so to mate with the motor, so I need to cut that a bit more. Then I stuck the heater box in there and it clears. I still might have to shorten it some, but as long as it looks factory in the engine bay that's fine with me.

Here it is without the heater box, the thing is really short and fat.

In fact, it is about the same length as the stock transmission, but the output flange is way higher. I think I'll have to tilt the motor back a bit to make this drop because otherwise there's no way.

The funny part is that it looks like I might be able to use the factory transmission mounting bolts. The transmission mount is almost perfectly in line with the original location.

Anyway, this project is not forgotten. If I can get my friend off his rear end I'll have a really pretty intercooler to show you in my next update. Also I'm temporarily distracted by my daughter's V50 project: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814309

And my new V70R. For those who don't read the Volvo thread:

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 17, 2021

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'm so jealous of that V70.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

sharkytm posted:

I'm so jealous of that V70.

Saaaaame

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ooh dats nice.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

So I designed up end tanks for my intercooler about a year ago, bought the parts this January, cut them up in Feburary, and now my friend finally finished with the hard welding.

I took 90 degree bends and blended them out to flow nicely into a rounded end tank. Should flow very smoothly.

One tank done!

And complete! For now. I still have to figure out how long I want the beaded tubes that will weld on to the end of those snouts, and I have a few mounts to weld up. But I couldn't do that without test fitting this.

I have to insert it through the grille! Fortunately the grille screws on from the outside. Unfortunately my favorite grilles don't. So I can't ever switch from this grille style, which sucks. Well, unless I figure out another way to install either this or the grilles.

Good fit there.

1/4"-1/2" clearances there!

So it all fits how I wanted it to, very nicely with no hope of air conditioning unfortunately. Next will be finishing the mounting of this and the radiator, and I can begin intake plumbing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm jealous of your space for an intercooler.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
I love this old Volvo and am glad to see your progress. It's looking great! And so is that V70R.

LloydDobler posted:

So it all fits how I wanted it to, very nicely with no hope of air conditioning unfortunately. Next will be finishing the mounting of this and the radiator, and I can begin intake plumbing.

They make remote mount AC condensers with integral fans for vintage refits, maybe you could mount one up by the firewall kinda like a Subie intercooler, get some air flow over it from the cowl vent. Your modern Volvo engine block certainly sits up a lot higher in a lot smaller compartment than the WRX boxer-intercooler layout I'm thinking of, but there might still be room.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I'm not actually that worried about it. The only car I've had with working AC for the last 8 years is my convertible, which I never drive with the top up. The new V70R has working AC, but I'm accustomed to living without it. If I end up feeling the need I'll figure something out. But until then it is what it is. It never had AC before, it can do without it now.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Was AC a factory option?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

No, in later years it was a dealer installed option and horribly clunky and tacked-on. And robbed a huge percentage of what little horsepower these cars had.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

LloydDobler posted:

No, in later years it was a dealer installed option and horribly clunky and tacked-on. And robbed a huge percentage of what little horsepower these cars had.

hahah what the poo poo? is this real life? in the mid-2000s?

anyway good project, good thread!

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

BraveUlysses posted:

hahah what the poo poo? is this real life? in the mid-2000s?

At that point he had gone back to talking about the 122 not the v70r

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GEMorris posted:

At that point he had gone back to talking about the 122 not the v70r

ah christ, bad reading comprehension on my part

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

LloydDobler posted:

I can't believe I'm running into the archive deadline again. My welding friend is really sapping my motivation. He ignores me for weeks, then when I get mad and tell him to give me back my parts, he feels guilty enough to do some work. But he doesn't finish, and the cycle begins again. It sucks because we're friends and he's a nice guy, but it really slows the project down. He's had my intercooler since JANUARY.

Looks like things worked out, but this is why I never take up offers from friends to fix things for me, even if it would be cheaper. I have no qualms about blowing my lid if I pay for a service and things don't come along, but that's a lot harder with friends.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The real silly part about SA thread archives is that I usually get motivated about every 4 months, but it archives in 3. Ah well. I'll try to get something done to justify the bump soon. I'm not giving up but motivation is really at an all time low. Don't know why.

My V70R is getting the dents pulled next Monday, and I just got coilpacks and other stage 0 stuff for it so while the coils are out I'm going to do a compression check as my last post-purchase inspection item (the car runs fine but I just have to know) and then it gets a new tune.

And the kid and I drove her new V50 around for errands yesterday, what a great little car. It runs 100% perfect.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

LloydDobler posted:

And the kid and I drove her new V50 around for errands yesterday, what a great little car. It runs 100% perfect.

I liked mine a lot, besides some small annoying poo poo.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

LloydDobler posted:

That's awesome, and should provide some motivation. See if she'll help with the 122?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I crave more updates after seeing this: https://annarbor.craigslist.org/cto/d/1967-volvo-amazon-122s-wagon/6321840593.html

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Lloyd, you see this?:
https://jalopnik.com/at-2-950-could-this-1999-volvo-c70-make-you-a-pole-st-1819676227

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Sonic blue V70R looks good! I miss my S60R, but I worry if I pick another up, it won't be as well maintained as the one I sold.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Manual C70s are rare as frig. My purple one was a damned unicorn. It'll sell at $3k instantly.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

It's funny, I don't think of manual C70s as rare because they all get posted for sale on Swedespeed, and my buddy here who works at a Volvo shop has purchased 2 over the years in addition to the one I own. I'm really over the silver though, after ten years of ownership I hate it now. I have also passed the halfway mark- I bought my 04 in July of 07, crashed it in March of 12, and bought my '03 in August '12. So now I've owned the 03 longer than I owned the 04, and sadly while it makes a ton more power, it is cosmetically suffering due to age.

I've been working my rear end off on my cars, just not this one. Should I turn this thread into my general Volvo symposium so that it doesn't die? I've basically spent the last 2 months trying to figure out why my R boosts really slow. It ran fine but doesn't make boost until it passes 3k RPM, just like my C70 did before I tuned it with Hilton. So I bought a Hilton tune for the R, and he recommended I upgrade the MAF and the injectors. So I did, and now it boosts slowly like before, but throws codes, and it's been either disassembled or in limp mode for 8 weeks.

It sucks because my C70 is loving dialed in perfect. It makes massive amounts of torque and the boost rolls on smooth from 2k RPM up. The R snaps to 0 psi and then waits till about 2800 to start building, and if I let off the gas it drops to 0 and re-builds the boost just as slowly as it did the first time. So all I want is for the R to run like the C and it feels like I have miles to go. And if I just got it done I'd be doing work on the 122 instead.

In addition to that, I've been waiting for the right time to spend the money on making my daughter's V50 stage 0, and until I do I won't drive it (much). And I need to start driving it because winter is on the way.

Anyway, here's what I've been doing on the R, I've been posting on Swedespeed but I didn't bother starting a thread here because this isn't supposed to be a project, but it is turning out to be one.

On 6/4 I posted:

I did a visit to my indy shop that had an R parts car with these in it. The non-sunroof cars like mine came with base audio - thin light paper 6.5" speakers with whizzer cones in all 4 doors. These are incredibly bassy by comparison. Dynaudio 3 ways for the front doors - 8", 3", and 1", and 6.5" for the rear doors with tweeters in the D pillars.

I also have a clone ecu that came with the car, so while I was at the shop I put it in and did a full software update on the car as part of the stage 0 process. That way I didn't risk losing my current tune. 9 modules needed updating, this car had probably never been updated before. I'll put the Hilton tune on that ECU and that way I can do side by side comparisons with JZW if I feel like it.

Then today since I was in the door anyway I swapped my failed right rear door lock with a nice inexpensive pick and pull unit. I'm really glad my local pick and pull is getting cars this new, I want to keep this thing really fresh and operating at 100%

On 8/1 I posted:

I decided to answer a question that's been bugging me, which is whether or not Tritons will fit over R brakes. I know they'll need spacers but the question is how much? Answered that tonight. I borrowed some crappy spacers that measure 7.8 mm each, 15.6 stacked. With those spacers I have about 2mm clearance between the spokes and caliper. Interestingly enough I have custom 16mm spacers on my C70, I can get plain 15mm to try and if they're too close swap them with the 16mm which I know will work.

With 235/40/18 tires on them they poke just a tiny bit. Might have to pull the fender if they rub after lowering, or go back to 225 tires. Also discovered a slight dip in my fender right before it meets the bumper, so I'll have to do some kind of pulling one way or another. Then, I have to decide on 15mm or 20mm on the rear, but I can borrow my C70 spacers to figure that out also.

With summer nearly over this is definitely a "next spring" project, as the tires are bald, and I've had the wheels for 10 years so they're a little beat up from tire shops. I'd like to get them refinished before putting them on, in a much brighter silver like the headlights, or a darker color like anthracite with a polished lip. Can't decide, don't have to for a while.

I've never seen an R with Tritons on it, they are such a good looking wheel. I ran them on my T5 for the last 8 years.

on 9/1 I posted:

Alright, finally got rolling on my tune. I went on vacation which was great, but got back and felt broke so I kind of turtled up in the house. But then I realized I had a bunch of expensive parts waiting to go on. Hilton basically talked me in to the EV14 650cc injectors as well.

I started by wanting the stock airbox with the larger MAF. I think in the end I did very close to what ElementR described in this thread: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?310857-S4-MAF-and-stock-airbox&highlight=s4+maf+stock+airbox

I started by ordering a 3.5 to 3 transition elbow from https://www.siliconeintakes.com, after trying to stretch the snabb hose over it with no luck.

I had to trim it down about an inch on both ends to make it match the Snabb fit.

Then I took my dremel and enlarged the hole in the end of the airbox, and trimmed down the fins to clear the S4 MAF flange.

Then I trimmed the fins on the inside, because my plan is to use the ring I cut off the transition as a coupling between MAF and filter.

I trimmed about 1/4" off the filter snout:

Then I did something risky, and trimmed about 3/8" off the MAF snout. I removed the sensor before I got hot plastic particles everywhere:

But that makes the filter and MAF fit perfect, touching each other.

Careful trimming of the ring I cut off, including clearance for the corner of the airbox:

Near perfect:

And the original screws and screw holes are located perfectly to just clamp the MAF on this flange.

This is actually better than the previous install, because those brake hoses were pressing in to the elbow and had almost worn through. Now they touch but they don't deflect the rubber at all.

Great fit, all installed.

Next is the MAF wiring. I bought this tool from Amazon and it worked great. Ten bucks. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009OR906/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't get any action shots but you jam the two blades into these holes and it releases the terminal.

Then stick them in the new connector in the same order.

The strange thing was this blue collar was slid sideways when I got the connector, so I slid it in. Turns out it locks terminal 5 in place, so I had to slide it back out, install the terminal, then slide it back in.

All taped up, looking like factory.

And done!

Last was the injectors but that was pretty straight forward.

Although I should have watched the IPD install video before installing them. With these injectors they use a wiring adapter that raises the terminals up about 1/2". Too high to put the R cover back on. In the video they point out that you can turn them all 180 and re-route the wires in front of the fuel rail. But it requires taking the whole assembly apart again. We'll see if I want my manifold cover that badly.

So I then went and started it up, and surprisingly it started and idled perfectly. Obviously I'm not going to drive it until there's a base tune.

Once I finished that, I emailed Rob for my tune file and just finished reading it out for him, Hopefully get it flashed and dialed in tomorrow or Saturday.

On 9/27 I posted:

Hilton finally got back to me, apparently he thought we were done.

The car throws fuel trim, faulty ECM software, and MAF codes within 50 miles of resetting them. So we'll see what's up. It also spools really slow still, but I did a base boost test by disconnecting the TCV, and my wastegate actually is set around 5 psi according to my boost gauge. So at some point I'll tighten that up, hopefully that helps with the spooling.

Otherwise it boosts to 25 psi before 4000 RPM and holds it well into 5500 RPM territory. Very nice. Hopefully we get it all sorted out soon.

On 10/4 I posted:

Hilton says my codes combined with the slow spooling indicate a boost leak, and I hear a strange noise like a squeak or ringing at around 5 psi, so I figured that made sense. So I pressurized the entire intake and it held pressure for like 10 seconds at a time until the air bled through the engine. Didn't hear any leaking, so I tore it down 100% to inspect all the silicone elbows. A few wear spots, but no holes or tears. Also a few questionable connections where the hose clamps locked down too close to a weld or something.

So I re-tightened everything and I'm confident at this point I don't have any boost leaks. Still spools fairly slow, no real change from before. And the noise is still there. But I haven't thrown any codes or gone in to limp mode yet. If I make it to work and back tomorrow without any codes, it will mean I fixed a boost leak that wasn't obvious.

But I need to figure out why it spools so slow. Can the CBV affect spool? I don't know what spring is in it.

I also tested my wastegate base pressure by disconnecting the TCV and it was at 5 psi. I tightened it to 7 psi and I bottomed out the threads so I need to trim off the end of the actuator rod if I want to go any higher. Same thing happened on my C70.

Edit: Sigh. Threw codes and went in to limp mode almost immediately in the morning.

On 10/15 I posted:

In my efforts to diagnose and fix slow spool I tore into the CBV this weekend. The screws are really soft and almost stripped the heads out, so I'm not putting it back together until I get new ones tomorrow.

I bought the CBV spring tuning kit hoping this solves it.

Decided to take a pic and try to see what's in there: This is supposed to be a billet oversize wheel from Pure Turbos. Not as big as the Viva hybrid but still bigger than stock. Since it's the 6+6 design and not the single 9 or 11, I'm reading that it should actually spool as fast or faster than stock. Can anyone reading verify that?

The good news is that the turbo spins nice and smooth but has no perceptible play to the fingertips that I can get in there.

Genuine Forge valve verified. I love this chain clamp for holding on to things that are hard to hold on to:

drat, it has a yellow spring already. So whoever assembled this did plan for higher boost. I'm going to throw the blue one in there anyway, because I'm running 25+ psi already, hoping for more.

Additionally, while the piston did slide freely, it appeared that there was no lube ever applied to it. Maybe that's the problem.

So I packed the gap between the piston o-rings with grease, and I lightly greased the sealing o-rings, and the cap threads in case I need to disassemble it again.

And I did all this using the method of loosening the cold side and rotating it. With this method the CBV bolts just barely clear the water pipes so you can get a wrench in there without taking the coolant hose off. With the cold side in its normal position you can see 4 of the clamp bolts, and the 5th you can feel and get to with an open end wrench, just barely. I actually had to use an air ratchet to get to the one under the turbo close to the engine, because even when I could get a wrench on it I couldn't quite get the leverage to turn it. I was using a lot of extensions with the wrench all the way over past the downpipe. If I didn't have the air tool I'm not sure what I would have done.

I also trimmed the tip of my wastegate actuator rod so that I can get a little more adjustment out of it.

If this doesn't fix the problems, I start looking for faulty sensors. And I might just do a smoke test at a real shop to see if there is an intake leak that I can't find, like a hole in the intercooler or something.

Also if anyone wants to upgrade their CBV springs, I have a green, yellow and red that I'm willing to part with for $8 shipped each. Gonna keep one of the yellows in case the blue is too strong for some reason.

Then I got it back together and it boosts outrageously high, almsot 30 psi(g) which is like 26 psi at sea level. Fantastic. Except it still throws codes and boosts slowly.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Then I got it back together and it boosts outrageously high, almsot 30 psi(g) which is like 26 psi at sea level. Fantastic. Except it still throws codes and boosts slowly.

Sounds like a bad tune or a leak. Hopefully you can get it sorted.

This isn't the same guy that you dealt with last time that took like 30 tries to get it right, is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Have you run it after playing with the bypass valve? That was my first thought, maybe not a defective spring or assembly, but defective sealing mechanism?