Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

darkgray posted:

2. Hunter x Hunter (2011) - I adored the first anime, and while the new voice actors annoyed me at first, they've now replaced whatever memories I held of the original cast. Along with ~HD animation~ and a sublime soundtrack, getting to animate the rest of the manga arcs is what really makes this adaptation the version to watch. People often speak of "the big three" shounen titles (One Piece, Naruto, Bleach), but I've always found HxH to be the ultimate example of what a battle shounen action adventure should be like. Just wish there was more material to animate.

I haven't watched a lot this year, but the Chimera Ant arc of Hunter x Hunter was so amazing. People complained about the slow pace of the second half of the arc but I thought it was all just about pitch perfect. Too bad I went ahead and read the most recent volumes of the manga after hearing that Togashi came back from hiatus. Should've probably just thought of the ending of the anime as the ending of Hunter x Hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Kaguyahime was very good and I enjoyed seeing it in theaters quite a bit. Probably my favorite Ghibli movie.

Wind Rises was cool except for the weird audio mixing. The thing that stood out was when he speaks German to the Engineers -- The audio track of him speaking german just slowly gets quiet as the audio track of him finishing the sentence in Japanese just gets louder, so there was this really strange echo effect and everyone in the theater was like "what" when it happened.

It was still in the movie on the rip I watched, so I ended up switching to the English Dub which was functional.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I think it is time to tally the votes OP.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

paragon1 posted:

I think it is time to tally the votes OP.

Traditionally Outer Science does the vote count, I think. At least it's never been me!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Screeching in at the last minute with my nominations, in no particular order:

Aldnoah Zero - Remember Code Geass and its imitators, grand, theatrical mecha shows driven by manic twist-a-minute plotting as impossibly talented masterminds engage in scheme and counterscheme? Remember how they so often turn out dumb and creepy? Aldnoah is one of those, only with none of the skeeze, a tight, lean plot, and even better music and visuals. It's a summer blockbuster in all the best ways. poo poo, listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl_5ce4457Y

Ping Pong - Needs no elaboration. Exquisite in every regard.

Terror in Resonance - A flawed gem, with a couple of overly-silly writing choices and a weak villain (Five totally needed more fleshing out), but a solid, thought-provoking thematic core and superb cinematography.

Gundam Build Fighters (first season) - Pure, bottled joy, with fantastic music, great action (skip to 13:50), and an endearing cast of characters. The standard to which every merchandise-driven cash-grab should be placed. The second season hasn't really found its feet yet, but there are a few promising signs.

Knights of Sidonia - Attack on Titan goes sci-fi, with wonderfully weird, unsettling direction, great aesthetics (dem Nihei megastructures), a compelling story, and superb action. The CGI is janky and ugly, but either it improved or I got used to it.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 1, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
No idea if I missed the voting cut-off so I'll keep things brief. In order:

1. Ping Pong

On one hand, I was a fool for not checking this out sooner. On the other, waiting allowed me to burn through the whole series in two days. Yuasa's best work to date.

2. Space Dandy

Came for the comedy, stayed for the characters and experimental episodes. RIP every Dr. Gel.

3. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders

My favorite comic book finally gets a proper adaptation. Looking forward to the Joestar Egypt Tour Group in 2015.

4. Log Horizon

Finally, a trapped in a video game anime for the thinking man. I don't even play MMOs but I picked this up on a whim and found myself surprisingly engaged.

5. Kill la Kill

Guilty pleasure of the year. The highs were high, the lows were low, but at the end of the day what I remember most is its earnest energy.

Also, I'd like to give an honorable mention to the Eccentric Family which didn't come out this year but I briefly thought it did (and had it ranked just belong Ping Pong).

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Aldnoah Zero - Remember Code Geass and its imitators, grand, theatrical mecha shows driven by manic twist-a-minute plotting as impossibly talented masterminds engage in scheme and counterscheme? Remember how they so often turn out dumb and creepy? Aldnoah is one of those, only with none of the skeeze, a tight, lean plot, and even better music and visuals. It's a summer blockbuster in all the best ways. poo poo, listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl_5ce4457Y

The soundtrack isn't bad, but I think Hiroyuki Sawano has gradually turned into the Hans Zimmer of anime over the last few years.

That aside...if I were making a list I'd put the show as an honorable mention, all things considered. Didn't really hook me as much as I had hoped.

wielder fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 1, 2015

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

1) Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Just so much fun - great cast, superb art, funny jokes, and exceptional faces. Best opening in years.

2) Barakamon
My favourite soundtrack of the year (along with Terror in Tokyo/Resonance), and very close to being my number one (Nozaki just stayed with me longer). The relationship between the MC and the islanders was a pleasure to watch develop, and the whole thing oozes with charm.

3) Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
I think this took the place of Chaika S2 pretty quickly, as it showed it was going to move at a breakneck pace and not indulge an ounce of filler. Rushed and disappointing ending. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Anime.

4) Terror in Resonance
This was a show that had the best of everything, except the script. The script was mediocre (at best) while the direction, music, and art were all wonderful. This takes spot 4 off of the ferris wheel and motorbike scenes alone.

5) Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
I think this is ineligible, but I have watched all of the new seasons of Jojo in the last two weeks and OH MY GOD!!

Shows that if I had watched would probably be on this list, and I will watch them when I have access to the Internet beyond this lovely regional Australian 3G that runs my battery flat in half an hour just glancing at Facebook

Ping Pong apparently you goons love it, and I guess I just didn't notice any time anyone spruiked it until now?
Mushishi S2 or however it's spelt. Loved S1 so I will probably love S2 when I happen to watch it.
Space Dandy S2 watched a few of S1 and fell off, plan to marathon them some time and catch up on the weird.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
All these votes for Terror in Resonance...

I really wanted to like it, and by all rights it should be one of the best shows of the year, but it ended up being kinda a hot mess. Some stuff just didn't make sense at all, and others were kinda pointless. It's a Kanno-Watanabe teamup so I can't hate it too much, but it's probably one of my biggest disappointments this year.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

For something that was a Zorak Bolded Show it seems no one ultimately gave a poo poo about Captain Earth.

Zorak also made a thread for Guilty Crown.

So yeah.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Honourable mention due to not meeting thread criteria - GARO: The Animation is a visual downgrade from MAPPA's other show this season, but is a fun, solidly-written romp that I'd recommend to anyone seeking their fantasy anime fix now Bahamut and Chaika are over.

Also, I didn't include JJBA: Stardust Crusaders because I don't feel the first half was a complete enough piece to qualify without the impending second series.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, I didn't include JJBA: Stardust Crusaders because I don't feel the first half was a complete enough piece to qualify without the impending second series.

The first "half" is a full two cours long, how is there not enough content to judge it on its own merits? Even ignoring the main story arc, the episodic design of the episodes means, imo, that it can be judged as is despite the main arc being incomplete.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hocus Pocus posted:

1) Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Best opening in years.
gently caress yeah.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

darkgray posted:

Traditionally Outer Science does the vote count, I think. At least it's never been me!

Seize the means of production

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
If I can still get a vote in, here are my five:

1. Barakamon
2. Hoozuki no Reitetsu
3. Noragami
4. Knights of Sidonia
5. Haikyuu!!

My comment for all of these is basically the same: these are the shows I was legit excited for each week. In the case of Barakamon and Hozuki, I was familiar with their manga and looked forward to the anime releases and wasn't disappointed. Haikyuu!! was full of cute boys doing a sport and I ended up finding it way more fun than Free! S2. Knights of Sidonia because I am a huge fangirl for all things Nihei. And Noragami was fun and made entirely of things I like.

I'd list Nozaki-kun and Mushishi (edit: and Ping Pong) in there as well but had to cut something to only have 5 and figured none of them were hurting for votes. Would also like to list Pupipo! since it was one of the only short-form shows I watched to completion. It was really cute and it's a shame it didn't get picked up anywhere that I know of.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 3, 2015

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

In no particular order for these first 4:

Ping Pong: loving rad as hell, big Yuasa fan, nothing more to be added, genuine work of art
Jojos: It's loving jojos man, strap in
Gundam Build Fighters: amazing action, great characters, fine plot, infinite fanservice. A wonderful fun time
Space Dandy: owns owns owns, there weren't really any lows and the highs were loving hiiigggghhhhhh

Legit pick for Anime Of The Year:

Pretty Rhythm Rainbow Live

A childrens anime trying to sell little girls on arcade machines that do dressup and also dancing. This show was loving batshit insane, between the bizarre plots, the hilarious misogyny in the year of our lord 2014 (it's bad even for Japan) and too many other things to list, it was an easy pick.

This is the only show where a girl could win a dancing competition by summoning the literal Baby Jesus from on high, growing angel wings and swaddling him in them. That's not even her best "attack" or whatever you want to call the stock footage. It just sort of starts happening at some point, then gets overshadowed by other poo poo later.

hilarious, entertaining, a genuine tour de force of comedy and insanity. easy, easy lock.

special mention to Mushishi S2, it was real good but it's not a show designed to knock your socks off the way the shows on this list are so it couldn't place on the list, but it was a wonderful show.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Paper Lion posted:

special mention to Mushishi S2, it was real good but it's not a show designed to knock your socks off the way the shows on this list are so it couldn't place on the list, but it was a wonderful show.

That's precisely why I like it.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Is the voting closing anytime soon? I'm looking forward to seeing if Kill La Kill manages to be both one of the best and worst anime of the year.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
last year there were a bunch of votes after new year's so i was waiting a bit longer to tally them. i'll get on it now.

ok so far 92 people voted for 54 different shows, this is less than last year where we had 99 voters when i tallied.

code:
Ping Pong: The Animation	54
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun	48
Space Dandy			33
Barakamon			27
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure	21
Mushishi Zoku Shou		20
Kill la Kill			18
Gundam Build Fighters		13
Chaika -The Coffin Princess-	12
Fate/stay night: Unlimited...	11
My Neighbor Seki		11
----------------------------------
Shingeki no Bahamut		10
Amagi Brilliant Park		8
Aldnoah Zero			7
Haikyuu!!			7
Log Horizon			7
Sabagebu!			7
Samurai Flamenco		7
Hunter x Hunter			6
Silver Spoon s2			6
D-Frag				5
Hanamonogatari			5
Terror in Resonance		5
World Conquest Zvezda Plot	5
Yowamushi Pedal			4
Golden Time			3
Knights of Sidonia		3
No Game No Life			3
Engaged to the Unidentified	2
Hoozuki no Reitetsu		2
I Can't Understand What My...	2
Nisekoi				2
Noragami			2
One Week Friends		2
Super Sonico the Animation	2
Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru	2
Ai Mai Mi s2			1
Black Bullet			1
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou	1
Ghost in the Shell Arise	1
Is the Order a Rabbit		1
Jinsei				1
Love Live s2			1
Pretty Rhythm Rainbow Live	1
Psycho-Pass 2			1
RWBY				1
Sailor Moon Crystal		1
Selector Infected WIXOSS	1
Space Bros			1
Tamako Love Story		1
The Tale of Princess Kaguya	1
Witch Craft Works		1
the split-cour thing for ubw and jojo's is screwing things up since some people didn't add them for not being completely finished. i'll post a new update every page until thread gets closed/archived or darkgray wants to close voting.

edit: fixing votes that didn't get counted right, if you see one tell me

Outer Science fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 3, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Kick UBW off the list so Bahamut can get on the top, but leave Jojo because Jojo is good.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Both are good, either kick both for being split cour or keep them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Looks like one Mushishi vote got counted separately.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kick ping pong off the list so nozaki-kun can be the best anime

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Kick UBW off the list so Bahamut can get on the top, but leave Jojo because Jojo is good.

I agree with this.

Other than that, this is a pretty solid list. I still find it weird that Chaika made it in the top but not Bahamut, but :shrug:.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 3, 2015

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

Nate RFB posted:

Looks like one Mushishi vote got counted separately.

oops

re: split-cour, just get someone else who liked seki in here and the whole problem goes away

edit: also if i kicked out ubw and not jojo, bahamut still wouldn't be on the list. the cutoff is at 11 because the last two are tied right now.

Outer Science fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 3, 2015

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I kind of thought this latest Jojo series was kind of bad? I have absolutely no idea why people like it so much. The 2nd series was way better but even that was kind of so-so

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Stardust Crusaders isn't as good as Battle Tendency, but if you think BT is just so-so, there's no helping you.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I didn't vote for Jojo this year but fully expect to next year cause the second half of Stardust Crusaders is awesome.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

PPl who didn't like the first half of SC are completely insane. Everything from Ebony Devil onward was tops.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pootybutt posted:

PPl who didn't like the first half of SC are completely insane. Everything from Ebony Devil onward was tops.

It's only going to get more perfect. God, I can't wait for next Friday.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I just like Battle Tendency a lot more because it builds up the villains instead of having an endless stream of mostly disposable stand users to fight through.

Perhaps if the anime went faster and/or cut some stuff out I'd like it more but dang, at 50 episodes I'll probably just tune in for D'Arby and the Dio fight for the second season.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You're still gonna miss out on some great fights and real quality anime. Those are the best two, granted, but still.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The thing about JoJo is the first two parts are more traditionally narrative-driven, whereas Stardust Crusaders onward it's all about the fights. I expected we'd lose a few people in the transition, but them's the breaks. It's an action serial from the late 80s/early 90s, and Araki took the tournament structure and turned it on its head.

Srice posted:

Perhaps if the anime cut some stuff
The worst opinion.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I understand why people might like BT more but if JoJo's stayed a show about a JoJo being the only competent fighter 24/7 it'd be way worse than villain-of-the-week. That said I think this half of SC is fairly weak and only gives a middling impression if people were going to judge it.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Srice posted:

I just like Battle Tendency a lot more because it builds up the villains instead of having an endless stream of mostly disposable stand users to fight through.

Perhaps if the anime went faster and/or cut some stuff out I'd like it more but dang, at 50 episodes I'll probably just tune in for D'Arby and the Dio fight for the second season.

That's an understandable tradeoff. I just like how the more rapidfire, vignette storytelling style of SC pushes or informs the characters involved. Instead of Joseph punking everybody, everyone gets a chance to shine and pull through, and even a lot of the less inspired early Stands generate a lot of fun situations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dogsicle posted:

I understand why people might like BT more but if JoJo's stayed a show about a JoJo being the only competent fighter 24/7 it'd be way worse than villain-of-the-week. That said I think this half of SC is fairly weak and only gives a middling impression if people were going to judge it.

Those two things aren't exactly mutually exclusive at all.

I have read the manga so I've seen all of part 3 and I just think it's a downgrade from part 2 outside of a few fights.

Pootybutt posted:

That's an understandable tradeoff. I just like how the more rapidfire, vignette storytelling style of SC pushes or informs the characters involved. Instead of Joseph punking everybody, everyone gets a chance to shine and pull through, and even a lot of the less inspired early Stands generate a lot of fun situations.

Yeah that stuff does help with the supporting cast which is more than what some of the cast in BT got, I just wish SC had more variety with its villains. D'Arby is cool and so is Hol Horse but for everyone like those guys you get a bunch of dudes who now live to serve Dio and that's about it for their personality.

Srice fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 3, 2015

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Srice posted:

Those two things aren't exactly mutually exclusive at all.

I have read the manga so I've seen all of part 3 and I just think it's a downgrade from part 2 outside of a few fights.

Yeah that stuff does help with the supporting cast which is more than what some of the cast in BT got, I just wish SC had more variety with its villains. D'Arby is cool and so is Hol Horse but for everyone like those guys you get a bunch of dudes who now live to serve Dio and that's about it for their personality.

I dunno, there was also Enya. And Judgment was so loving funny. Oh man, and Death 13. And then there were the skeevier guys like Steely Dan who were such creepy jackholes that the buildup and the music leading up to Jotaro just beating the tar out of them was just so cool. Ughhh Jojo chat infects all threads(and I'm perfectly fine with that.)

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Outer Science posted:

ok so far 92 people voted for 54 different shows, this is less than last year where we had 99 voters when i tallied.
i'll post a new update every page until thread gets closed/archived or darkgray wants to close voting.

I guess voting is still possible, and I don't want to see voter turnout tank, so here's my five:

1. Mushishi Zoku Shou - Not much that I can say here, just that Mushishi continues to be a series that transcends conventional anime and consistently delivered beautiful, sometimes dark, stories that work on many levels.
2. Chaika -The Coffin Princess- - Welp, and here's one of the most anime anime. Pure fun, though.
3. Space Dandy - Also great fun, but a bit more uneven in quality as expected when you give episodes to many different directors.
4. Ping Pong: The Animation - Yuasa, still saving anime.
5. Aldnoah Zero - Split cour, with a Valvrave-like drop in the second cour a distinct possibility but I liked the characters and the story hasn't been too stupid.

Notable mentions: Nozaki-kun, and I Can't Understand My Husband.
e: and I guess Terror in Resonance for being visually interesting, even if the story wasn't that good.

Grim Up North fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 3, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Outer Science posted:

edit: also if i kicked out ubw and not jojo, bahamut still wouldn't be on the list. the cutoff is at 11 because the last two are tied right now.

Quick, someone unvote UBW so Bahamut can be on the list.

In all seriousness, can we just throw Bahamut into the final listing as an honorable mention or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

ViggyNash posted:

In all seriousness, can we just throw Bahamut into the final listing as an honorable mention or something?

You can still make a wiki page even if it doesn't make the cut, ya know?

• Locked thread