Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The list tends to be the gateway for a lot of new people on the forums, which is why I really want it to be on the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

who cares, if someone asks for anime recs you can just rec it to them

the entire world doesnt need to know about the anime you like

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

ViggyNash posted:

Quick, someone unvote UBW so Bahamut can be on the list.

In all seriousness, can we just throw Bahamut into the final listing as an honorable mention or something?

It's pretty properly ranked tbqh. Bahamut was fine and fun, but I don't think it was top 10 for the year.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

they do and will

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Endorph posted:

who cares, if someone asks for anime recs you can just rec it to them

What if the anime is Jojo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rodyle posted:

What if the anime is Jojo
then the entire world already knows

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
You guys are getting awfully pushy about a show that got 10 votes when the top show got 54.

The situation with UBW and Jojo is super awkward, and I guess maybe the answer is cut them from top 10 for now? It's very likely they're making top 10 next year. I guess I feel flippant about these results because I don't see how they're important besides a curiosity and having a top 10 list from somewhat active people on these forums.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

idk, the split cour thing is basically the same to me as, say, code geass and code geass r2, and both of those got on their respective year's top 5/10s

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Split-cour stuff is a definite issue, but it seems hard to solve. How would you define the difference between "split-cour" and "separate seasons" consistently?

Is Sidonia a split-cour? Is Silver Spoon? Why or why not?
How long should we wait for a broadcast announcement until we decide if it is split rather than a different season?
Does the episodic nature of a show matter?

And finally, does it even matter if it's split-cour? It'd simplify things if people just vote for whatever show they enjoyed the most that's on the list.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

I actually only voted for 3 originally. If it isn't too late I'd like to add Chaika and Bahamut as my 4 and 5.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Endorph posted:

I see you say this but here you are on the internet. How Ironic.

Everyone must know what I like or dislike.

edit: gifs of Sabagebu, a really funny show. Surprisingly good. My bad

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 4, 2015

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I think it speaks volumes that two half-shows sucked less than most other completed shows.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
for real guys i made the top 10 page because i was really bored in a hotel with poo poo for internet, just be chill and talk about animes you liked

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Twiddy posted:

You guys are getting awfully pushy about a show that got 10 votes when the top show got 54.

It's just weird how I'm supposed to have the worst opinions in ADTRW and yet there are people that don't like or want less JoJo.

What show is this?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jojo is incredibly shounen as all hell so it's easily understandable why it's not to everyone's tastes. If someone doesn't like shounen fighting stuffs it's probably not gonna change their mind.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This is a doubly weird situation as both Amagi and Bahamut were handicapped by not being on Crunchyroll (and Amagi wasn't on any streaming service). People are more likely to wait and watch later when that's the case, so that causes an even bigger problem for fall season shows like those two. Ping Pong probably wouldn't have been so dominant if it wasn't a spring season show.

That said, in the end this is just a list of what ADTRW cared about this year, for better or for worse. I say leave as is, and maybe just expand the list on the wiki to 12 because it was a really good year.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

WickedHate posted:

It's just weird how I'm supposed to have the worst opinions in ADTRW and yet there are people that don't like or want less JoJo.

Jojo is an okay and fun show. I almost didn't watch it because its fans are incredibly fond of overhyping it and being super obnoxious.

quote:

What show is this?

Sabagebu, a good and funny show that I don't think anyone expected to be worth watching.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

glomkettle posted:

Jojo is an okay and fun show. I almost didn't watch it because its fans are incredibly fond of overhyping it and being super obnoxious.

It is kind of annoying when people keep insisting to people who are uninterested that it'll get really great eventually. The only time that's really justifiable is specifically when talking about how stands get more weird and less punchghost. Otherwise there's a point where if someone isn't liking JoJo now it's probably not gonna get magical for them later.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

The Devil Tesla posted:

That said, in the end this is just a list of what ADTRW cared about this year, for better or for worse. I say leave as is, and maybe just expand the list on the wiki to 12 because it was a really good year.

Seriously, just list 12 shows with some asterisks or something if it bothers people so much. It's a loving Goon Wiki, not the Guinness Book of Anime World Records.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Redcrimson posted:

Seriously, just list 12 shows with some asterisks or something if it bothers people so much. It's a loving Goon Wiki, not the Guinness Book of Anime World Records.

B-b-baka. You don't have to be so mean about it. I just want people to know what I liked.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
poo poo, I kinda missed the main cutoff.

Oh well, throwing my recs in anyway:

1: Gundam Build Fighters: Most of my fave shows tend to be those that have no goddamn right to be as good as they are based on the premise. GBF is one such show. What should have been a shameless advertisement for Gunpla... was a shameless advertisement for Gunpla that was very very well done. An overall sense of goofy, lighthearted fun permeates the non-fighting parts, characters are giant goofballs to each other who are firmly aware that end the end of the day they're playing with toys and the goal is to enjoy themselves.

As for the fights, quite a number of them would rank really drat high in the entire Gundam metaseries' best fights (the ones from episode 6, 15, 18, and 24), and there are Gundam references to almost everything conceivable.

If there are faults, it's that the show is pretty lousy at character development. Most of the cast are 'what you see is what you get,' but a couple are intended to be developing as characters over the way and the show isn't good at portraying that.

Edit: I forgot to mention the music. Holy poo poo the music is so loving good. Rock those spanish guitars, Meijin. Rock them forever.

2: Amagi Brilliant Park: It's KyoAni comedy. Do I need to say more?

3: World Domination Zvezda Plot: Absurdity of the premise aside, the show was generally good at the comedy bits, and the absurdity of the whole situation is played for everything it's worth. I wasn't a big fan of the last couple of episodes, but that doesn't put a damper on the rest of it.

4: One Week Friends: First half was just pure sappy fluff and I'm a sucker for that. Second half added in more melodrama and PLOT and wasn't as good, but still okay.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 4, 2015

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

darkgray posted:

Split-cour stuff is a definite issue, but it seems hard to solve. How would you define the difference between "split-cour" and "separate seasons" consistently?

Is Sidonia a split-cour? Is Silver Spoon? Why or why not?
How long should we wait for a broadcast announcement until we decide if it is split rather than a different season?
Does the episodic nature of a show matter?

And finally, does it even matter if it's split-cour? It'd simplify things if people just vote for whatever show they enjoyed the most that's on the list.

It doesn't matter, it's all up to the individual to decide. Oh no, Bahamut didn't get on the list because of UBW. Boo-hoo. I never watched Bahamut, and will probably check it out at some point due to good word of mouth. However, I almost just want to say to remove my vote for Amagi and put UBW on there just to make Viggy cry even more about how it's stopping Bahamut from being anime jesus.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
Bahamut was lame and stupid. Put UBW on there imo even if it's also lame and stupid.

Also people are mad because the split cour stuff is incredibly inconsistent, like how Dandy is counted as two different seasons (bd numbering implies its only 1) but Mushishi Zoku Shou which was also split cour is counted as just one season.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 4, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WickedHate posted:

It is kind of annoying when people keep insisting to people who are uninterested that it'll get really great eventually. The only time that's really justifiable is specifically when talking about how stands get more weird and less punchghost. Otherwise there's a point where if someone isn't liking JoJo now it's probably not gonna get magical for them later.
Well, when they animate Part 4 I will say that people who got tired of the shounen punching of Part 3 might want to give it another look. The tone of part 4 is incredibly different from part 3, it's just a bunch of goofy kids living in a weird town that sometimes involves them shonen punching each other.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Part 4 was a huge inspiration to Persona 4, so if you like that game Part 4 is pretty fun.

Also, the whole point about cours is that they're not two different seasons, they're just two cours. It's not really a change in plot or narrative, just a break in production and airing. So they should be treated as a full single season. Just like how most TV shows have a midseason finale but are still counted as a single season instead of two different ones.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Well, the show that was number 2 is markedly worse than Jojo's, so cutting Jojo's is the wrong call for sure.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Just tally the votes and make a top 10 as usual, if a show didn't make it then it probably wasn't generally as enjoyable as people think, no need to start making exceptions now.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Dumbass: It would be wrong if Jojo's got voted best anime 2 years in a row for the same series and arc
Me: Actually, that is the power of Killer Queen: Bites The Dust and if you will refer to this VERY complicated diagram I have drawn you will see that...

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
The results aren't up on the wiki yet, so I'll throw in a vote/recommendation for Sabagebu because it deserves some recognition for being really fuckin' good

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I watched Ping Pong because of this thread. Good job, thread.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

KidDynamite posted:

Me too. I thought it was really, really good. I also thought the ending was fantastic,

Also that Noziaki one, which was fun and cute. I liked it, but it was nothing standout, though.

Thanks you guys. Good stuff.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

Me too. It's obscenely good. Like, it's distressing just how good it is. Raises the bar.

I started watching Samurai Flamenco too (about 5 episodes in) and it's been a really fun show so far.

Such a strong year!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Hocus Pocus posted:

Me too. It's obscenely good. Like, it's distressing just how good it is. Raises the bar.

I started watching Samurai Flamenco too (about 5 episodes in) and it's been a really fun show so far.

Such a strong year!

If only you could hear my cackling over the internet.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Hocus Pocus posted:

Such a strong year!

It could have been better. Certainly the good shows were very, very good, it just felt like they were rarer then they should have been. I'm more optimistic about this year, if not this first season. I can't wait for the '15 version of this thread.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I am simultaneously happy for all the Nozaki votes and sad for the Dandy vote turnout, even if it did get 3rd lol. Oh well, good anime-ing!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'll throw nods at
1)Seki, which was my favorite comedy of the year,
2) Bahamut, which I thoroughly enjoyed,
3) Ping Pong, for reasons stated above and pages back
4) KLK, which wasn't as strong in 2014, but still entertaining, and
5) Twintails, best bad anime 2014. \

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

WickedHate posted:

It could have been better. Certainly the good shows were very, very good, it just felt like they were rarer then they should have been. I'm more optimistic about this year, if not this first season. I can't wait for the '15 version of this thread.

you don't know poo poo, please shut your mouth

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

you don't know poo poo, please shut your mouth

I think literally everyone who posts in ADTRW knows by now that WH has atrocious opinions and is hilariously oblivious about it. Watching his/her posts in the Mahouka thread was literally the SA "It's a Wonderful Life".

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
The second half of this year had a strong showing than previous years, IMO. Though that may in part be due to the amount of sequels to goon favorites and forgetfulness.

Khagan fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Khagan posted:

The second half of this year had a strong showing than previous years, IMO. Though that may in part be due to the amount of sequels to goon favorites and forgetfulness.

And also Barakamon, Nozaki, Bahamut, Parasyte, Sabagebu...

This was a good year.

• Locked thread