Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

Engaged to the Unidentified - I am only about six episodes into this show, but I am loving it so far! Animation is great, and the story is good, if a little odd

You are the only other person to mention this anime and I love you for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Oh poo poo Drinkfist, you're still alive! Whatcha been up to, bro?

Drinkfist posted:

Also how the gently caress does a show about ping pong get a following.

Masaaki Yuasa is good at his job.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

You are the only other person to mention this anime and I love you for it.

I liked it too, but it didn't leave much of a mark. I didn't think it was all that remarkable beyond being a decent show.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Hagop posted:

No its better than that because the super mechs are there, they are just what you would expect super mechs to look like after being constantly tweaked by a group of autistic knight lords honor dueling each other for 15 years while seething over a war they never got to fight.

Yeah, I never understood the obsession with "honorable" duels and mecha. I checked out Votoms and was curious but 52 episodes :bravo2:

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Redcrimson posted:

Oh poo poo Drinkfist, you're still alive! Whatcha been up to, bro?

Quiet for a second you spergs I gotta talk to this guy here because this shitlord can't accept pms.

I got lost on my way home to MMO HMO and decided to poo poo up this thread on the way there. I would Pm you via SA but you can't take pms or Steam but your bullshit is all gone. I am Drinkfist on steam.

You all may continue with your anime circle jerk. We all know Superjail and Venture Bros is gonna win this year.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
1. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun. Best comedy, best show. Either when it was about Nozaki and Chiyo's outrageous attempts to apply shojo manga cliches in real life, or about the stupidity of Mikorin and Kashima and Seo, the comedy was always fresh. Tomodaaaaaaaa!
2. Ping Pong the Animation. A really brilliant story, especially in how the Smile-Peco-Kazuma trio at the core of the story all struggle with continuing to enjoy the game even as it becomes a high-stakes matter to them, and resolve that conflict in various ways. I've become a real fan of Yuasa after this and watching Tatami Galaxy earlier in the year.
3. Hanamonogatari. I've always enjoyed the -gataris, and this one was particularly excellent. Kanbaru's not been that great as a character, but Rouka was the perfect foil to her, as someone else who lost their way. NisiOisin's writing was at its cleverest and strangest, and Kaiki and Araragi had some pretty great scenes too.
4. Barakamon. I really liked Handa's straightforward nature, and the fish-out-of-water story he was involved in, and am hoping for more in the future.
5. Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works. It's only half finished, but it's exactly what I always wanted out of the Fate franchise, so I think it deserves the spot. It's just a flawless adaption to a visual novel I'm a big fan of.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Drinkfist posted:

You all may continue with your anime circle jerk. We all know Superjail and Venture Bros is gonna win this year.
it isnt much of an anime circlejerk considering half this thread likes the ping pong anime and half of it thinks its boring

thats more like a tug-of-jerk

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

pingpong

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't watched Ping Pong yet so I don't think it's good or boring.

I'm the Schrodinger's Opinion on Ping Pong. This is very deep and intellectual.

I am very deep and intellectual.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I haven't watched Ping Pong yet so I don't think it's good or boring.

I'm the Schrodinger's Opinion on Ping Pong. This is very deep and intellectual.

I am very deep and intellectual.

if you were deep and intellectual you would of watched ping pong already

for now your just shallow and a big dummy!!!!!

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Redcrimson posted:

Masaaki Yuasa is good at his job.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Drinkfist posted:

If anything I should have put Superjail up there but I already was using too much bait to pull you fucks back down to earth in your weebo bullshit.

I am laid low by your list of dece American cartoons :negative:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For something that was a Zorak Bolded Show it seems no one ultimately gave a poo poo about Captain Earth.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 23, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's because it turned out to be even worse than Star Driver.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Wow, for the 17th year in a row, Serial Experiments Lain was the best anime I watched this year...

The only other anime I watched was kill la kill lol, it was not good

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

For something that was a Zorak Bolded Show it seems no one ultimately gave a poo poo about Captain Earth.

Turns out not even zorak can see the future

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Endorph posted:

it isnt much of an anime circlejerk considering half this thread likes the ping pong anime and half of it thinks its boring

thats more like a tug-of-jerk

You and like three other people with incredibly wrong opinions doesn't constitute half of anything except a People Who Are Incredibly Wrong About Anime (PWAIWAA) convention.

forbidden lesbian posted:

Wow, for the 17th year in a row, Serial Experiments Lain was the best anime I watched this year...

You sound like someone who should watch more anime.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Its rly easy to tell who's dumb in this thread

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's all of us.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

The Devil Tesla posted:

It's all of us.

Its not me, actually, since I'm a great poster in addition to being smart and cool

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

1. Unlimited Blade Works
2. Zvesda Plot
3. Jojo
4. Log Horizon
5. Space Dandy I guess.
5. gently caress that, Samurai Flamenco

I never watched Ping Pong even though I like Yuasa.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 24, 2014

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

no ping pong?

:livintrope:

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
1. Space Dandy
2. Ping Pong

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

1. Space Dandy
2. Ping Pong

Good list.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

1. Ping Pong
2. Barakamon
3. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

I'll finish watching Space Dandy soon I swear

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

In no order:

Golden Time - Basically the toradora author is a genius
Jinsei - Made me laugh
D-Frag - Good comedy, even if water girl's part was cut horribly
Engaged to the unidentified - Sweet romance between a girl and a dogboy.
Sabagebu - A cautionary tale about how revenge will ruin you.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
1. Ping Pong
2. Mushishi 2
3. Tonari no Seki-kun
4. Monthly Girl's Nozaki-Kun
5. Samurai Flamenco edit: I liked Terror in Resonance better, probably.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 24, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nozaki-kun
Sabagebu
Barakamon
Gundam Build Fighters
One Week Friends

I haven't really gotten around to watching all of the consensus best shows like Ping Pong and Mushishi and I'm not voting for Jojo since it's technically only halfway through. Also, as noted in the worst thread, Kill la Kill would probably have been in my top five on pure energy alone if it weren't for Ragyo bad touch.

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011
1. Space Dandy: Really fun show that I got to watch a good dub of on my TV every week, I hope stuff like this happens again.
2. JoJo : I wanted more JoJo and got more JoJo.
3. Kill La Kill: I like dumb action anime and KLK is dumb action anime.
4. Gundam Build Fighters : The only gundam show I've enjoyed watching in a long time.
5. Aldnoah Zero: Grunt mechs beating super mechs while a good OST plays.

I should probably watch Ping Pong.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I didn't finish poo poo this year, much like last year.

So, in no particular order.

Chaika the Coffin Princess

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

Tonari no Seki-kun

Amagi Brilliant Park

uhhh, Fate/stay Night [ubw] i guess?

Halfass honorable mention:
The funny, silly parts of KLK

Probably very good, haven't watched: Ping Pong, Mushi-shi 2

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

It's time to move on, my friend. There's approximately 1010101 new series you still have to watch a min of 3 episodes to decide whether not they'd be considered the Worst anime of the year.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Barakamon: hilarious and heartwarming, great acting and animation, maybe I cried a little.
Hoozuki no Reitetsu: loving hilarious, best comedy of the year.
Witch Craft Works: even better than the source material they really nailed it, love everything about it.
Aldnoah.Zero: captivating show, I just wanted to keep watching, and holy poo poo that ending.
Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda: it was fun and had a lot of style and some great characters I really enjoyed it.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
This was just a great year for anime. Ping Pong is such a powerhouse that it's kind of hard to beat it, though. Everything else was like, normal comfy anime. Ping Pong doesn't really have competition for 'shows that blew your pants off' unless you can count Rebellion as a 2014 anime.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Space Flower posted:

Everything else was like, normal comfy anime. Ping Pong doesn't really have competition for 'shows that blew your pants off' unless you can count Rebellion as a 2014 anime.

This is my same reasoning with KLK and Stardust Crusaders. Most other shows this year were very bland and normal.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Can I vote only for Ping Pong? I liked a lot of anime this year but the idea that any it compares to Ping Pong is a joke.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Adelheid posted:

Can I vote only for Ping Pong? I liked a lot of anime this year but the idea that any it compares to Ping Pong is a joke.

Nobody is stopping you from only putting in a single vote, friend.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I don't watch too much anime. Or at least I feel like I don't compared to people here and elsewhere, so my list will be short.

1. Ping Pong. A ping pong sports anime should not be this good, but it was easily the best anime I saw this year. Other than being disappointed by one of the final scenes it was basically flawless.

2. Tonari No Seki-Kun. A friend of mine recommended this and it was just a nice fun show. Robo family is the best.

3. Space Dandy. Space Dandy is some poo poo. It was always something else, even when some of the premises flopped to me. I'm only not scoring it higher because I forgot to get around to watching the second season and I really need to fix that immediately.

Honorable mention goes to Mushi-Shi. I liked this a bit. Watched it right around when it was starting and was very impressed, just forgot to keep up with it. I will finish it eventually.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Ping Pong is the only anime I finished this year, for good reason. Great characters and direction, and the final match is wonderful.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Everyone knows Nozaki-kun and Gay Bicycling Boys beat out Ping Pong for AOTY though right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This was a pretty good year for anime. I had a difficult time limiting myself to just five, so I'm going to cheat a little with my list.

In no particular order:

1. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun & Barakamon: Both of these shows were charming comedies with lovable, endearing characters. I went into Nozaki-kun completely unaware of the manga it was based off of. I don't know if that made things better for me or not, but this show never stopped being hilarious and its characters never stopped being lovable. Barakamon warmed my heart from the first episode and never really stopped. Both shows also had top-notch voice acting.

2. Hitsugi no Chaika: A great show that didn't try to be anything other than a direct, simple fantasy story and succeeded wonderfully at it. It's surprisingly really easy to screw up a story and setting this simple, so the fact that this show did so well with it is very impressive. It also deserves special credit for Frederika, the most giffable anime character of 2014.

3. Space Dandy & Kill la Kill: I'm pairing these shows together because, in the most general sense, they were great for the same reason. Both shows basically said "to hell with the rules!" and went off the rails and straight to the stars in the most uniquely beautiful and spectacular of ways.

4. Black Bullet: I'd call this a guilty pleasure if I didn't believe that the term makes anyone who uses it sound like a coward. It's a show about super-powered little girls kicking giant insects to death and fighting each other while being super-melodramatic about it, and I had loads of fun watching it.

5. Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de aru: An amazing, heart-wrenching show that uses the magical girl formula as brilliantly and beautifully as Madoka did. I'm legitimately surprised I'm not seeing this show on more people's lists. If you haven't seen this yet, I wholeheartedly recommend that you do.

Honorable mentions:

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren: The first season taught us that it's okay to be a nerd. The second season taught us that with enough hard work and determination, you can become a champion competitive sleeper.

Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?: This year's best slice-of-life anime.

Love Live s2: The fast-paced, high-stakes world of school idols is a fascinating one.

• Locked thread