Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

You should wait on Jojo's to finish arc 3 and marathon it all at once imo

This is excellent advice.

I've added a 4th and 5th:

4th: My Neighbor Seki Short, funny, always good for at least a chuckle

5th: D-Frag This one was honestly pretty dumb, but the dumb humor kind of hit the mark for me so I enjoyed it, plus:

BHB fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
My picks would have to be:

1) Space Dandy - This was an animators funhouse show and it was the best thing for it. While it did have a bunch of weak episodes, there was a lot of good, and when they hit they hit so drat hard. Space Dandy was a joy to watch from beginning to end.

2) Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun) - Easily the funniest show this year. Had incredible gags and never let up. Hope we get more

3) Ping Pong the Animation - Not much to say on this that hasn't already been said. Yuasa is one of the top talents right now

4) Mushishi Zoku Shou - Even after 9 years they knew what made Mushi-shi great and continued with it. Amazing show, with my only complaint being a lot of times where there were sparse backgrounds for long periods of time and re-used a lot. Don't know if that happened in the first season, but I'm not gonna complain.

5) Amagi Brilliant Park - I love FMP (even the first season) and Gatoh once again made something worth adapting. Also, I like to think of this as an apology for Beyond the Boundary.

-------------------

Honorable mention

Ao Haru Ride (Blue Spring Ride)
Barakamon
Hitsugi no Chaika (Chaika - The Coffin Princess)
Haikyuu!!
Terror in Resonance
Tonari no Seki-kun
Space Brothers

------------------

Not putting on my list because they aren't done and shouldn't be included

Fate/Stay & JoJo's. These are half finished, IMO.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 28, 2014

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.
1) Barakamon - Adorable, funny feel-good anime. Little girl with a voice that does not make the ears bleed.

2) Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun - Only just passed the 3-episode mark, but I'm really liking it already. It was this thread that got me to finally watch it.

3) Log Horizon - Drags a bit, not as good as the first season, but still good. Husband says it does video games well. I take his word for it.

That's about all I watched this year v:v:v Other than SAO 2 which does not deserve a place on this list.

Jon_MadN
Aug 5, 2013

My favourite pastime is gifting Kuvo anime games
1. Shingeki no Bahamut The anime I wanted when Space Dandy was airing a a fun adventure with serious elements and one of the greatest MC of all time.
2. Samurai Flamenco Can't be explained and must be seen
3. Space Dandy Even if it didn't match my expectation it's still fun and solid with a fun cast and even one episode characters that are great
4. Aldnoah Zero Just like Susei no Gargantia if you don't give Urobutcher too much control it actually turns out good it earns this spot mostly because of the Soundtrack being amazing
5. No Game no Life Brazil strong, I really like bullshit gambling with trumpcards everywhere, and this anime has that times a thousand plus a non pussy MC who actually has his own selfish goals

Honorable Mentions:
Kill la Kill Good animations and thats about it story really fell of during second half
Jojo I really like Jojo in general I just find early part 3 really slow and boring compared to the egypt arc which ill probably give a top 5 spot next year
Log Horizon SAO done right instead of mindless action and dumb exposition we get 30 minute explanation of everything which is how I like my MMOs minus points for the content that focuses on Aktsuki or anyone not Shiroe

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
1. Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis - How the gently caress does an anime based on a lovely cardgame exclusively for iOS/Android end up this good??
2. Space Dandy - Space Dandy is basically just really good
3. Ping Pong the Animation - Like with Rockstar Presents Table Tennis, this is surprisingly really good despite it being about ping pong.
4. Golden Time - It's Tora Dora, but in college.
5. Fate/Stay Night: UBW - Every episode looks like it has a budget of a feature-length movie

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

I can't believe how much trouble the Top Gears guys got in when they visited Argentina. I hope James May is ok after he cracked ribs falling off that horse. I still don't understand how they escaped the country after the film crew got attacked by the riot.

[Posted this first in the Eve thread and then Elite dangerous and thought what the hell I think you guys need something better to talk about that doesn't involve paddles and white balls.]

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 29, 2014

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

http://youtu.be/U353fi-RC-A

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ping-Pong I feel Yuasa works better with more surrealist stories, but this one was great nevertheless
Chaika awesome fight scenes and loving great character building. Chaika! Very good! No lie! Shocking truth!
Sabagebu Sonokawa Momoka is the best protagonist. The best part is that the show balances itself, she doesn't always win nor does she always lose, which is sort of a rarity in comedies.
Bahamut GOD. drat. Someone must have really loved that loving game because this was the poo poo. The very first episode has that kick-rear end waterwheel sequence and it somehow keep getting better from there.
Zvezda I was honestly impressed with this one. I came in expecting an elaborate goon troll, but it turned out to be a really well-written show. It runs on moon logic, but it keeps this moon logic consistent for both comedy and foreshadowing.

Honorable mention:
Tonari no Seki-kun Seki-kun is always fantastic. I liked this show, but for some reason I thought the manga was better and more engaging. That credit sequence is the best though.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Drinkfist posted:

I can't believe how much trouble the Top Gears guys got in when they visited Argentina. I hope James May is ok after he cracked ribs falling off that horse. I still don't understand how they escaped the country after the film crew got attacked by the riot.

[Posted this first in the Eve thread and then Elite dangerous and thought what the hell I think you guys need something better to talk about that doesn't involve paddles and white balls.]

i'd pay money to see a Top Gear anime

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

i'd pay money to see a Top Gear anime

Turns out typing Top Gear Anime into google images gives you more than enough fan pictures

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

top gear x ping pong cross over when???

World Eight
Oct 18, 2012
Chaika - the Coffin Princess: Chaika is just really fun. Frederica is the best. That is all.

Ping Pong: I saw this anime popping up all over this thread, so I ran through it last week. The thread was not wrong. Ping Pong fuckin' owns.

Rage of Bahamut: Genesis: This has no right to be as good as it is, but holy hell I am not going to complain. Why can't every mobile card game cash-in could be as amazing as this?

Space Dandy: is a dandy guy, in space. I have no idea how to even describe this show, because it's basically like 20 different things at the same time.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero: Considering I had basically zero expectations for this show, I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

Have some Honorable Mentions, I guess:

Parasyte and Garo

Neither of these show are eligible this year, but I still wanted to put them here because they're awesome and I love them. Also a shout out to episode 7 of Inou Battle, because it made me feel justified in having watched so much of an otherwise kind of "meh" show.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
In no particular order.

Mushishi Zoku Shou - Definitely a highlight for this year. It manages to be mysterious, introspective, and at times, utterly terrifying.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun - The best of a number of comedies from this year. The characters play off each other really well, and everyone has their share of idiotic idiosyncrasies. Seo is the best.

Barakamon - Easily has the most endearing characters in a show this year. Heartwarming, and funny, this was just a treat to watch.

Ping Pong - I wasn't nearly as enamored with this as everyone else seems to be, but it is a great presentation of a coming of age story. The animation is fantastic, but the wobbly lines irritated me. Seriously, watch it for the animation, if nothing else.

Silver Spoon S2 - Not quite as good as the first season, but still had the charm of the first.

Honourable mentions

Yama no Susume S2 - the best cute girls doing cute things anime this year.
Tonari no Seki-kun - Robot Family
Fate/Stay Night - Incomplete, but a very good adaptation thus far
One Week Friends - Sweet enough to induce Diabetes, but the central concept needs a pretty big suspension of disbelief.
Nagi no Asukara - A bit inconsistent, but generally a solid drama.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm more of a manga person, and really only cared about two shows this year.

Nozaki-kun doesn't reverse gender roles for comedy: it twists them, turns them, and puts them back, almost the same but still plenty different. You don't need me to tell you just how funny this show is, you've already got plenty of other posts to read about it! Or better yet, you've watched it and found out. I give Nozaki-kun ten satisfyingly smooth letter opening animations out of ten.

Rage of Bahamut is the least anime show this season, thus making it the best. It's a Japanese mobile card game made into a Hollywood blockbuster. They better follow up on that season 2 they teased! I give Bahamut ten zombie rocket punches out of ten.

Award for best manga that got a thread this year though, goes to Truth is, I'm....

Captain Invictus posted:

Jesus christ what an incredible chapter

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Holy poo poo, that may have been the best chapter yet.

Sonata Mused posted:

This chapter may have made my week.

RadicalR posted:

Wonderful. That's all I can say to this.

ErrantSystems posted:

I can't believe I ever doubted this series. I'm just scared it can't get any better :ohdear:

chumbler posted:

I did not think it could live up to the hype. I must now go punish myself for such foolishness.

How does this series manage to not just keep itself fresh but improve with every chapter? Truthism is something we can all believe in.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd say it's a tie between Nozaki and Truthism, the two great finds of the year.

There's also Hero Academia, which is amazing as well.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Terper posted:

the least anime show this season, thus making it the best.

Truth is, I'm...

Are you implying that Truthism is somehow not anime? Because IMO it's boiled down, extra concentrated anime straight from the hills of Colombia

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 30, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

icantfindaname posted:

Are you implying that Truthism is somehow not anime?

KoB
May 1, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

Are you implying that Truthism is somehow not anime? Because IMO it's boiled down, extra concentrated anime straight from the hills of Colombia

Thats not what the post says at all.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

Truthism isn't an anime, it's a manga.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Truthism isn't an anime, it's a manga.

It's as anime as a manga could get.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I added a few conditions to the make the choice easier on myself. My picks have to be finished (on hiatus does not count, sorry JJBA), and I have seen all of it. The latter in particular disqualifies a lot of stuff that would otherwise be strong contenders--Sidonia, FSN & Mushishi probably deserve better but I've had a hard time connecting with them this year. They're also not in any real order because I don't care.

Kill la Kill: I understand the objections people raised, but saying the show would be better without <thing you dislike about KLK> is not enough to make a show bad. I do not understand why pacing that never loses its energy and a plot that never loses momentum are treated as a trifling merit, when the vast majority of anime falls short in exactly that manner. Shows that consistently get you amped up for the next episode are not the norm, they're an accomplishment.

Hunter x Hunter: Basically gets a spot automatically because this is the year it ended. Expect me to say the same thing about Jojo's Bizarre Adventures whenever they get around to finishing Stardust Crusaders. They're both solid adaptations of the source material that also smooth over some glaring issues that hold the originals back. In HxH's case this would be the sketchbook scribble chapters of the manga and the constant years-long hiatuses. When those aren't an issue, the series easily sells itself.

Silver Spoon: I have a soft spot for shows that go 'here is a thing you have never heard of (or thought about very deeply), and why you should get emotionally invested in it.' Chihayafuru hit the same spot for me, but instead of baffling poetry recognition competitions it was about life at an agricultural school. Gets you to stick around in spite of that for more or less the same reasons, too (solid character arcs, relationships). Bonus points for not turning the giant mechanized dairy farm into the bad guys.

Ping Pong: What everyone else said. Didn't care for the opening, but that's really the only negative impression I had watching the whole thing.

Sabagebu: 2014 turned out to be really good for comedies. This spot could just as easily go to Nozaki-kun, or Barakamon or Space Dandy but I'm giving the nod to Sabagebu for overcoming rock bottom expectations, and the year's best-worst protagonist. I think it would have been Space Dandy, in fact, if the show hadn't been so inconsistent in quality. If the question was 'what production method would you want to see more anime imitate' SD wins hands down... but it isn't.

And an honorable mention for The Irregular at Magic High School for generating the year's best ADTRW thread. That was a magical journey, and I'm glad we could make it... together. actual show/novels are still garbage on every conceivable level

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 31, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't have any opinions on HxH as a show other then I don't care for the character designs and the setting doesn't grab me, but I still cringe at it's name slightly because a lot of blogs I've wanted to follow post so much of it I barely see any of what I followed them for.

Which I guess means it's really good. The author also did YuYu Hakusho, which is one of my all time favorites. I might go over it during the summer.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

It's as anime as a manga could get.

No, that's One-Punch Man.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Rangpur posted:

Didn't care for the opening, but that's really the only negative impression I had watching the whole thing.

This is the worst opinion in the thread.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Even worse than the people who didn't like Ping Pong at all?

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Gnossiennes posted:

This is the worst opinion in the thread.

Actually it's probably everything WickedHate says

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Even worse than the people who didn't like Ping Pong at all?

A tough question.

Did you dislike just the song or the op animation as well, because that charcoal poo poo was sweet as hell

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

A tough question.

Did you dislike just the song or the op animation as well, because that charcoal poo poo was sweet as hell

That op animation was absolutely mesmerizing and I fail to see how someone could dislike it except for people prone to motion sickness.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

That op animation was absolutely mesmerizing and I fail to see how someone could dislike it except for people prone to motion sickness.

For me it's a matter of preference, I just don't really like the scratchy animation with the character's looking like their colors are going to spill out of their line work.

The actual motion I do like, it's so energetic and I can see the enthusiasm the characters have for the sport.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Rangpur posted:

Kill la Kill: I understand the objections people raised, but saying the show would be better without <thing you dislike about KLK> is not enough to make a show bad. I do not understand why pacing that never loses its energy and a plot that never loses momentum are treated as a trifling merit, when the vast majority of anime falls short in exactly that manner. Shows that consistently get you amped up for the next episode are not the norm, they're an accomplishment.

Yeah never loses its energy except the 6000 times the main character stubs her toe or something and has to spend yet another episode moping around.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I could never get into the Hunter X Hunter remake because they changed the sound effects of nen. It sounded so cool in the 1999 version, I don't understand why they changed it. It's a weird reason not to watch an adaptation of one of my favourite mangas of all time, but it's just so iconic, and without it?...

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

The animation was excellent, the opening music gave me a headache. I don't know why it grated on me that way, and it wasn't even the worst opening theme even among the stuff I watched but there you go. I confess to Wrongthink and throw myself on the mercy of the forum.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The opening song has been on repeat in my iTunes for like a year now. It's even better once you learn the lyrics.

quote:

I’m completely alone in this world
I’ve always been alone in this world
But I’m still there
There probably isn’t such a thing
That only I can do, but
If I don’t do anything, I’ll disappear
“Anyone! Anytime! We just want to do things we like!”

It's the kind of thing that gets you really pumped, and not just in a fleeting inspirational burst but every day, even when things suck.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

The video for Tada Hitori is pretty fun and silly, too. http://en.musicplayon.com/play?v=694921

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That video is great but, his hair looks like it has a fungus!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

#1 Ping Pong The Animation - There's nothing to really say about this that hasn't been said by every other post in the thread. The strength of the show is probably the material it was adapted from, but being totally uninitiated I loved it.

#2 Gin no Saji S2 - It's not the prettiest or most original show, probably not even the best "slice of life." Even so, the emotional aspects (especially Hachiken's) resonated with me on a level that nothing other than Ping Pong achieved. I cried more times watching GnS than anything before, to be honest. Having those great and cheery opening/ending themes as well as the expected doses of food and cute animals made sure it wasn't a downer either.

#3 World Conquest Zvezda Plot - The sense of an off-kilter but consistent logic running through this show won me over. Smokers are legitimately evil, everything is powered by asparagus, and a 6 year old can successfully take over the world. It was a colorful, cute, and fun ride and I'm hoping we get more than just the bonus OVA.

#4 Barakamon - Again, this one has been talked to death in here. I really liked the laid-back setting and the child voice actors were total genius. It makes the weird stuff Naru and co. say and do seem that much more authentic.

#5 Samurai Flamenco - This was the show I got most hyped up to see and for the most part it didn't disappoint. My expectations were constantly defied as the story wasn't satisfied with just being Kick-rear end or just being a toku show or even just being incredibly meta.

Honorable mentions: Space Dandy, Nozaki-kun, Hozuki no Reitetsu, Sabagebu, and the good split-cour shows (Jojo, UBW).

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
My top 5 TV shows:

1. Ping Pong the Animation - Initially thought the art was too ugly for me to ever like it, but as the first episode unfolded, I gradually realized the story and characters were too amazing for the visual design to bother me. And after a few episodes I'd gotten used to it enough to delude myself that the unusual art just makes it more unique. Great show in pretty much every regard, wrapped up perfectly without straying from its goal. Also tried the live-action movie, but the anime is far superior.

2. Hunter x Hunter (2011) - I adored the first anime, and while the new voice actors annoyed me at first, they've now replaced whatever memories I held of the original cast. Along with ~HD animation~ and a sublime soundtrack, getting to animate the rest of the manga arcs is what really makes this adaptation the version to watch. People often speak of "the big three" shounen titles (One Piece, Naruto, Bleach), but I've always found HxH to be the ultimate example of what a battle shounen action adventure should be like. Just wish there was more material to animate.

3. Uchuu Kyoudai - Fantastically uplifting and inspiring, this story of two brothers trying to fulfil their childhood dreams of reaching space is an absolute joy to behold. Be it funny or sad, it's always emotionally potent, and maintaining that quality for 99 episodes is an achievement.

4. Haikyuu - Best soundtrack of the year for me, always helping out this warm and friendly production in bringing me to tearful happiness. Proves that sports shounen doesn't always have to be about the tense rush into the next episode, but that it can just as well be episodic bursts of spiritual feel-good.

5. Hanamonogatari - Nishio is the best. Even in small, random doses. Well, except in the case of Tsukimonogatari.

In addition, I also very much enjoyed Miyazaki's wonderful Kaze Tachinu, and Takahata's remarkable Kaguya-hime no Monogatari. Life without more Ghibli features would be sad.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Kaze Tachinu or The Wind Rises was really good, but I didn't include it in my list because I saw it in limited release in November 2013 after its release in Japan earlier that year, so including it in 2014's best seems wrong.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

darkgray posted:

3. Uchuu Kyoudai - Fantastically uplifting and inspiring, this story of two brothers trying to fulfil their childhood dreams of reaching space is an absolute joy to behold. Be it funny or sad, it's always emotionally potent, and maintaining that quality for 99 episodes is an achievement.
Other than the 9 or 10 recap episodes, which caused me to bail the first time. Thanks for reminding me to go back and finish this out, though. It sounds like it would have been another contender if not for the fact I forgot it existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Kaze Tachinu or The Wind Rises was really good, but I didn't include it in my list because I saw it in limited release in November 2013 after its release in Japan earlier that year, so including it in 2014's best seems wrong.

Movies are kinda in an awkward position for these lists since most people here aren't going to see them until they get a physical release and considering the usual timeframe for that a good chunk of movies just kinda slip by.

• Locked thread