Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
edit: never mind, it's there after all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Mushishi
There's nothing else quite like it. It doesn't overplay its drama, but it has real emotional stakes, depicted with lovely (and sometimes horrifying) surreal imagery.
Tonari no Seki-kun
This is an excellent series of riffs on a single basic joke, and shows how far you can go with a relatively minimal cast and story. Sure, it's short, but that just means it doesn't overstay its welcome.
Barakamon
Not uproariously funny, but it has a lot of heart, and using real children as voice actors for the child characters really helped bring it down to earth compared to other shows in roughly the same category.
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
A cast that's neurotic but seldom annoying and just enough revision to the usual high-school formula make this far better than a synopsis suggests. It's funny, what else can I say.
Silver Spoon S2
I had totally forgotten that the second season was this year. A mixture of comedy and surprisingly genuine pathos that never feels patronizing or sentimental about its subject matter.

Sabagebu almost makes the cut. Uneven, shameless, but there are some really great scenes. I didn't watch most of everyone else's favorites. Kill la Kill had some high points, and I was dumb enough to draw a fanart for it, but it ultimately spent too much time meandering around and being creepy (although the best episode was one that didn't advance the plot at all, so who the hell knows,) One Week Friends attempted to out-cute a month-old kitten, but needed just a bit more edge to it.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 25, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I guess if Silver Spoon S2 is eligible I should probably vote for it but I can't find it on the OP's list, I can never remember its Japanese name. I also did vote for S1 last year, IIRC.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Are you implying that Truthism is somehow not anime?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Kaze Tachinu or The Wind Rises was really good, but I didn't include it in my list because I saw it in limited release in November 2013 after its release in Japan earlier that year, so including it in 2014's best seems wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Paper Lion posted:

special mention to Mushishi S2, it was real good but it's not a show designed to knock your socks off the way the shows on this list are so it couldn't place on the list, but it was a wonderful show.

That's precisely why I like it.

• Locked thread