Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
This was actually tough to throw together this year. I was going to wait until I caught up on a few shows, but whatever, I can edit later if I have to.

5) World Conquest Zvezda Plot - Yes, the outfits were ridiculous, there's a reason this is in the #5 spot. Other than that, Zvezda was the rare kind of show that's capable of crafting a fun story that's actually About Things without also having to pretend to be a Super Totally Serious Cartoon For Grown-Ups.

4) Chaika the Coffin Princess - Probably not a groundbreaking or Earth-shattering story, but certainly a confident production from people who knew what they were doing. Fun characters, good fight choreography, and just enough thematic weight to set it apart from every other generic disposable action-adventure show.

3) Barakamon - Not exactly the most ambitious show ever, but a strong central focus and a broad sense of humor absolutely elevated the material far above what I expected from this kind of show.

2) Terror in Resonance - Definitely flawed, and understandably divisive. ZanTero is the kind of angry, pointed, ideas-over-narrative show that I just have to respect the gently caress out of. Also aesthetically gorgeous and beautifully scored, it's pretty easy for me to overlook a few misfires in the plot and character departments.

1) Hanamonogatari - Eyup. Another year, another Monogatari entry on the top of my list. This one being possibly the densest single arc while also being one of the easiest to parse is a pretty clear indication that Monogatari has finally settled into its own. I wasn't sure Shinbo and crew would be able to maintain the careful equilibrium they somehow stumbled into with Second Season, but I think they've basically perfected the formula at this point. And hell if it don't work like a charm. Keep this poo poo coming, based Shaft.

Honorable Mentions
Log Horizon - Pretty much exactly what I wanted SAO to be. Not only does this show use the game setting to make the most of its concepts and ideas, but it also has a more heartfelt, even intimate understanding of both gamers and gamer culture than just about any piece of non-game media I've ever seen.

Knights of Sidonia - I have to wonder how much higher this would have been without the awkward CGI faces. Also without all the Chosen One Harem Protagonist poo poo.

Rage of Bahamut - How the hell does this even exist? No seriously, how is this show even real, I don't understand. If every electronic mobile card game tie-in was like this, it would literally save anime.

Amagi Brilliant Park - A welcome return to form for KyoAni after a string of disasters. Too bad the show was never really more ambitious than One-Joke Premise and Surprise Melodrama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Oh poo poo Drinkfist, you're still alive! Whatcha been up to, bro?

Drinkfist posted:

Also how the gently caress does a show about ping pong get a following.

Masaaki Yuasa is good at his job.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

and the psychopath who's so excited to murder poo poo for his moe master the he doesn't care if he starts a war that will kill thousands.

Or the ex-soldier who's lost without purpose in a peaceful post-conflict malaise, and willing to restart a war in order to have meaning in his life again. :shrug:

But whatever, I just like shows with magical goth loli snipers :hellyeah:

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Noisycat posted:

but nothing hit me as outright suggestive.

Uh, isn't the very first shot of her character a frontal upskirt of her cameltoe? That really doesn't set off a few red flags?

Also NGNL is pretty much the most hilariously transparent Teenage Male Nerd Power Fantasy I've ever seen. That poo poo makes SAO and Mahouka look like NGE.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

In all seriousness, can we just throw Bahamut into the final listing as an honorable mention or something?

You can still make a wiki page even if it doesn't make the cut, ya know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

That said, in the end this is just a list of what ADTRW cared about this year, for better or for worse. I say leave as is, and maybe just expand the list on the wiki to 12 because it was a really good year.

Seriously, just list 12 shows with some asterisks or something if it bothers people so much. It's a loving Goon Wiki, not the Guinness Book of Anime World Records.

• Locked thread