Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I added a few conditions to the make the choice easier on myself. My picks have to be finished (on hiatus does not count, sorry JJBA), and I have seen all of it. The latter in particular disqualifies a lot of stuff that would otherwise be strong contenders--Sidonia, FSN & Mushishi probably deserve better but I've had a hard time connecting with them this year. They're also not in any real order because I don't care.

Kill la Kill: I understand the objections people raised, but saying the show would be better without <thing you dislike about KLK> is not enough to make a show bad. I do not understand why pacing that never loses its energy and a plot that never loses momentum are treated as a trifling merit, when the vast majority of anime falls short in exactly that manner. Shows that consistently get you amped up for the next episode are not the norm, they're an accomplishment.

Hunter x Hunter: Basically gets a spot automatically because this is the year it ended. Expect me to say the same thing about Jojo's Bizarre Adventures whenever they get around to finishing Stardust Crusaders. They're both solid adaptations of the source material that also smooth over some glaring issues that hold the originals back. In HxH's case this would be the sketchbook scribble chapters of the manga and the constant years-long hiatuses. When those aren't an issue, the series easily sells itself.

Silver Spoon: I have a soft spot for shows that go 'here is a thing you have never heard of (or thought about very deeply), and why you should get emotionally invested in it.' Chihayafuru hit the same spot for me, but instead of baffling poetry recognition competitions it was about life at an agricultural school. Gets you to stick around in spite of that for more or less the same reasons, too (solid character arcs, relationships). Bonus points for not turning the giant mechanized dairy farm into the bad guys.

Ping Pong: What everyone else said. Didn't care for the opening, but that's really the only negative impression I had watching the whole thing.

Sabagebu: 2014 turned out to be really good for comedies. This spot could just as easily go to Nozaki-kun, or Barakamon or Space Dandy but I'm giving the nod to Sabagebu for overcoming rock bottom expectations, and the year's best-worst protagonist. I think it would have been Space Dandy, in fact, if the show hadn't been so inconsistent in quality. If the question was 'what production method would you want to see more anime imitate' SD wins hands down... but it isn't.

And an honorable mention for The Irregular at Magic High School for generating the year's best ADTRW thread. That was a magical journey, and I'm glad we could make it... together. actual show/novels are still garbage on every conceivable level

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Even worse than the people who didn't like Ping Pong at all?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

That op animation was absolutely mesmerizing and I fail to see how someone could dislike it except for people prone to motion sickness.
The animation was excellent, the opening music gave me a headache. I don't know why it grated on me that way, and it wasn't even the worst opening theme even among the stuff I watched but there you go. I confess to Wrongthink and throw myself on the mercy of the forum.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

darkgray posted:

3. Uchuu Kyoudai - Fantastically uplifting and inspiring, this story of two brothers trying to fulfil their childhood dreams of reaching space is an absolute joy to behold. Be it funny or sad, it's always emotionally potent, and maintaining that quality for 99 episodes is an achievement.
Other than the 9 or 10 recap episodes, which caused me to bail the first time. Thanks for reminding me to go back and finish this out, though. It sounds like it would have been another contender if not for the fact I forgot it existed.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Is the voting closing anytime soon? I'm looking forward to seeing if Kill La Kill manages to be both one of the best and worst anime of the year.

• Locked thread