Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

1) unlimited blade works: i like f/sn and this is a perfect adaptation of the second best route. it stays close to the original story, all the alterations/additions it makes are both justifiable and smart, and it's animated beautifully.

2) Stardust Crusaders: it's jojos

3) Parasyte: i didnt expect to like this as much as i did. the characters are pretty fleshed out, and the core mystery is interesting. Only real complaint is that the action scenes basically come down to a 3 second loop of blades moving too fast to be seen, over and over and over again. That's fine since fighting isn't really the focus, but it's still a little annoying. The mom's death was actually pretty sad, since unlike most anime mom deaths they actually built her up as a character before killing her off.

4) Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun: it was funny and for a gag series the main punchline (this person looks like they should be x but they're actually y mixed with :biotruths:) is pretty smart and leads to some likable characters. Paras is my favorite pokemon.

5) Gundam Build Fighters: pretty average toy schlock fare with enthusiasm as its only saving grace. Fortunately, it had that in spades. I could only really recommend it to fans of Gundam, but if you're a fan of Gundam it's an absolute blast from beginning to end, with some well-animated fight scenes, cute references/throwbacks, and the best mom.

honorable mention:

Sword Art Online II: needed about 6 less episodes but I had fun watching it.

Kill la Kill: i havent watched this show but it's brought me an incredible amount of joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darkgray posted:

So, well, just to make it clear, since people as usual are unable to read the rules: Parasyte is not eligible in 2014. Thank you for not picking it.
3) RWBY

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I watched pingpong and found all the characters really boring. I don't mind the idea of it not really being about the wins and losses, but the characters weren't enough to carry it for me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

Clearly inferior to the average visual novel, that's for sure.
Yeah, exactly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

It's less about the sport than it is about the characters. Ping Pong and Chihayafuru have excellent characterization, with arcs that are well fleshed out on both our heros' sides and their rivals which ultimately don't directly require simply winning or losing their matches. There is a clear distinction in my mind between shows like those and what I guess I'd call hyper-shounen burning passion training montage content like Ippo, Prince of Tennis, or Eyeshield.
This comparison doesn't really apply because what made Chihayafuru great in my mind is that it made me care about a show that I had a giant cultural barrier towards. There was dramatic card slapping and crying when people won/lost and dramatic music swells, and metaphorical visuals based on the poems on the cards. There might not have been any training montages, but the characters clearly had a ton of passion and cared a lot about what they were doing. The show was about the characters, but it was totally about karuta, too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Drinkfist posted:

You all may continue with your anime circle jerk. We all know Superjail and Venture Bros is gonna win this year.
it isnt much of an anime circlejerk considering half this thread likes the ping pong anime and half of it thinks its boring

thats more like a tug-of-jerk

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kick ping pong off the list so nozaki-kun can be the best anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

who cares, if someone asks for anime recs you can just rec it to them

the entire world doesnt need to know about the anime you like

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rodyle posted:

What if the anime is Jojo
then the entire world already knows

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

idk, the split cour thing is basically the same to me as, say, code geass and code geass r2, and both of those got on their respective year's top 5/10s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WickedHate posted:

It is kind of annoying when people keep insisting to people who are uninterested that it'll get really great eventually. The only time that's really justifiable is specifically when talking about how stands get more weird and less punchghost. Otherwise there's a point where if someone isn't liking JoJo now it's probably not gonna get magical for them later.
Well, when they animate Part 4 I will say that people who got tired of the shounen punching of Part 3 might want to give it another look. The tone of part 4 is incredibly different from part 3, it's just a bunch of goofy kids living in a weird town that sometimes involves them shonen punching each other.

• Locked thread