Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

1.Space Dandy

2. JoJo

3. Kill la Kill

4. Ping Pong

5. Tale of Princess Kaguya

My list took me a while to think about, and it should come with the caveat that I essentially consider that top 3 a big tie for No.1 this year, in descending order of personal fondness. I love all three for pretty similar reasons; they're riotous, wildly entertaining spectacles of visual creativity, with great casts and passion exploding from every cel. All five picks demonstrate the potential of animation, but Jojo and KlK in particular have an expert grasp on what really makes an action show pulse, while Dandy provided some of the most visually inventive sci-fi in ages. All three always had something new to show(unless you happened to have read Jojo already...), everybody has their favorite episodes, I love them all the more for their flaws, and catching each new ep week to week with my now-husband has been the most fun I've had watching anime in maybe ever.

Ping Pong was a lovely surprise, crafting a small, but relatable and insightful story about how sport and passion molds and changes people, for good and bad, and while I saw Kaguya and The Wind Rises this year, Kaguya slightly edges out for me. Got a soft spot for how Isao Takahata can match vignette storytelling with simple but impeccable animation and an eye for detail to effortlessly evoke such wonderfully little human moments. It's a gorgeous, vastly ambitious film and easily among the least narration-heavy of his works, also a big plus!

Honorable mentions to Mushishi, which would prolly make my list if I could ever bring myself to keep up with it regularly, The Wind Rises, and Terror in Resonance, Aldnoah.Zero and Pyscho-Pass 2 all get special mention for consistently and reliably pissing off my twitter timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Saw Expelled from Paradise and if anyone's interested in seeing before the year is up, I guess I reccomend it. Didn't make my list, but it's kinda entertaining. Think basically a reversed, more lighthearted The Matrix from the pov of an Agent.

It's probably the sweetest and most optimistic work from Urobotchi so far, and amazingly, somehow the most heavy-handed. I didn't get much out of it outside of the action, and there's some skeezy cinematography going.g on, but it's p fun when it's trying to outAkito Akito the Exiled(with some CG Itano Circusing for good measure!)

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

PPl who didn't like the first half of SC are completely insane. Everything from Ebony Devil onward was tops.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Srice posted:

I just like Battle Tendency a lot more because it builds up the villains instead of having an endless stream of mostly disposable stand users to fight through.

Perhaps if the anime went faster and/or cut some stuff out I'd like it more but dang, at 50 episodes I'll probably just tune in for D'Arby and the Dio fight for the second season.

That's an understandable tradeoff. I just like how the more rapidfire, vignette storytelling style of SC pushes or informs the characters involved. Instead of Joseph punking everybody, everyone gets a chance to shine and pull through, and even a lot of the less inspired early Stands generate a lot of fun situations.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Srice posted:

Those two things aren't exactly mutually exclusive at all.

I have read the manga so I've seen all of part 3 and I just think it's a downgrade from part 2 outside of a few fights.

Yeah that stuff does help with the supporting cast which is more than what some of the cast in BT got, I just wish SC had more variety with its villains. D'Arby is cool and so is Hol Horse but for everyone like those guys you get a bunch of dudes who now live to serve Dio and that's about it for their personality.

I dunno, there was also Enya. And Judgment was so loving funny. Oh man, and Death 13. And then there were the skeevier guys like Steely Dan who were such creepy jackholes that the buildup and the music leading up to Jotaro just beating the tar out of them was just so cool. Ughhh Jojo chat infects all threads(and I'm perfectly fine with that.)

• Locked thread