Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
1. PING PONG THE ANIMATION

Well, dua. Not much more to say that hasn't already been said, it was legitimately innovative in how it was made, and is filled with characters who bring out the best in one another. The kind of show that makes you want to be more you. Really happy it's on so many lists so far!

Animators given the loosest guidelines and then told just to do whatever, and the results are eclectic and a whole lot of fun.

3. Mushishi Zoku Shou

Came back not only as if it never left, but so much better. Every week is different, and every week finds some new way to be really really interesting.

4. Monthly Girls' Nozaki-Kun

Mines the endless well that is mismatch between how someone views themselves and how the rest of the world seems them, which meshes surprisingly well with shoujo manga.

5. Hunter X Hunter

Couldn't find a good gif for this one that wasn't spoilery as hell, but this show always owned and the last string of episodes in particular owned.

Basically, this year was hella awesome, hail anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Outer Science posted:

I tried to watch Ping Pong but the animation made me so motion-sick I literally threw up irl after episode one so that idea didn't work out

Used to lovely anime like No Game No Life, when presented with good anime your body rejected it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Homo Boys Bike Club- I like to imagine Onoda getting a hot gently caress from the team captain

Same but Makishima and a bicycle.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blhue posted:

I'd emptyquote this if I could. its a boring story carried by good direction.

Clearly inferior to the average visual novel, that's for sure.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

(I even know someone who loves the hell out of Chihayafuru but doesn't like to admit that it's a sports anime because he enjoys "every genre except sports" so I've had no luck in getting him to check out Ping Pong).

Ping Pong is too good for this stupid person.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hagop posted:

A card game anime that is not hot garbage. What the hell Japan, now I have to watch the next 30 of these hoping to strike gold twice.

You really don't, as you won't.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A lot of people, when they really love an anime or manga, will completely overlook an aspect of it in order to get over their embarrassment about it. Attack On Titan isn't formula shonen but really a survival story, or Madoka isn't really a magical girl show but some kind of "deconstruction". "It's not about the sport but it's really about the characters!" ignores the fact that, even in great sports anime like Ping Pong or Chihayafuru, the characters themselves are shaped by the sport they play.

This is not a bad thing, because sports are awesome and make good narratives. Ping pong as a sport is something that people can take way too seriously and miss the joy in it, which is a theme a lot of people can relate to even if you know nothing about ping pong. Same with karuta being someone no one understands but also something very engaging, particularly for high schoolers who have the kind of time to get really into something like that. These shows are smart enough to end up saying something you can understand even if you know nothing about the sport, but in the end they really are about the sport.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ViggyNash posted:

This could be tennis, or badminton, or squash, and the story wouldn't really change.

Squash The Animation: wanting to get in shape over his lunch break, company man Smile's life is changed forever when he meets squash hero Peco.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Drinkfist posted:

If anything I should have put Superjail up there but I already was using too much bait to pull you fucks back down to earth in your weebo bullshit.

I am laid low by your list of dece American cartoons :negative:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's all of us.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

1. Space Dandy
2. Ping Pong

Good list.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

4. Chaika
Best fantasy anime of the year. Fantastic story with believable, rational characters as well as great action.

Believable, rational characters like brother complex hammer lady, magical moeblob who talks like a child, and the psychopath who's so excited to murder poo poo for his moe master the he doesn't care if he starts a war that will kill thousands.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

Are you implying that Truthism is somehow not anime? Because IMO it's boiled down, extra concentrated anime straight from the hills of Colombia

Truthism isn't an anime, it's a manga.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The opening song has been on repeat in my iTunes for like a year now. It's even better once you learn the lyrics.

quote:

I’m completely alone in this world
I’ve always been alone in this world
But I’m still there
There probably isn’t such a thing
That only I can do, but
If I don’t do anything, I’ll disappear
“Anyone! Anytime! We just want to do things we like!”

It's the kind of thing that gets you really pumped, and not just in a fleeting inspirational burst but every day, even when things suck.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That video is great but, his hair looks like it has a fungus!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Kick UBW off the list so Bahamut can get on the top, but leave Jojo because Jojo is good.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I didn't vote for Jojo this year but fully expect to next year cause the second half of Stardust Crusaders is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This is a doubly weird situation as both Amagi and Bahamut were handicapped by not being on Crunchyroll (and Amagi wasn't on any streaming service). People are more likely to wait and watch later when that's the case, so that causes an even bigger problem for fall season shows like those two. Ping Pong probably wouldn't have been so dominant if it wasn't a spring season show.

That said, in the end this is just a list of what ADTRW cared about this year, for better or for worse. I say leave as is, and maybe just expand the list on the wiki to 12 because it was a really good year.

• Locked thread