Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Wow, everybody else loves shows I didn't watch. I should probably watch more non-action shows.

#5: Aldnoah Zero - It's not as smart as it could have been, it doesn't have enough fleshed-out characters, and it's oddly lacking in a certain intangible energy. Still, seeing the main character come up with clever ways to be weird super-robots was pretty cool, and the ending is at least impressively risk-taking. Also, the main character is a lot more interesting than people give him credit for.
#4: Fate/Stay Night - It's a well-animated and generally faithful adaptation of something I mostly like, and I enjoy it for the most part. However, there's probably a little too much downtime, and since the main character's development will happen mainly in the second half, it's understandable that he comes across as somewhat bland to new viewers.
#3: Kill La Kill - There's a lot wrong with this, probably more than is wrong with my #4 or #5. It's gets this high mainly because it has the "energy" that Aldnoah Zero lacks. I'd attribute this in part to a combination of the crazy animation and having a lot of over-the-top characters.
#2: Stardust Crusaders - I seem to be including a lot of Season 1s that end on cliffhangers on this list. Not quite as strong as Battle Tendency, but better than Phantom Blood. Lots of camp and clever fights. Pacing is a bit slow, though.
#1: Hunter x Hunter (2011) - Despite its shaky start back in 2011, it's still probably the best long-running shonen adaptation I'm familiar with. Intricately plotted in a way you don't expect a battle shonen to be, and has some interesting commentary on character archetypes and other elements common in the genre. Also features a lot of weird powers interacting in clever ways.

Biggest disappointment: As bad as SAO II was, this goes to The Pilot's Love Song, for having an ending that retroactively ruined everything that came before. I guess you could argue that the point is that the main character learned exactly the wrong lesson, but all the other characters seem to agree with the terrible conclusion he's reached.
Best VA: Saori Hayami, for Hatoko's rant in When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

I guess if Silver Spoon S2 is eligible I should probably vote for it but I can't find it on the OP's list, I can never remember its Japanese name. I also did vote for S1 last year, IIRC.

It is eligible. Use Ctrl+F.

• Locked thread