Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm going to say Kill la Kill just barely edges out Stardust Crusaders. It was kind of a weak year overall, in terms of number of great shows, but the ones that were good were spectacular.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Srice posted:

Watch Ping Pong.

I've seen gifs of it, but aside from good animation it doesn't really interest me.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Srice posted:

I don't want to put you on the spot but I'm curious, why not?

I find the art style really off putting and I don't care for most sports anime in general that don't involve racing or direct fighting.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

icantfindaname posted:

You watch double digit episodes of Mahouka without understanding what's wrong with it but don't want to watch Ping Pong?

It was deceptively good for awhile before I read some of what people had been posting about future events in the books. :shrug:

ViggyNash posted:

Let me give a reason to watch this show: Yuasa is a competent storyteller. That already makes Ping Pong better than 99% of all anime.

In a normal sport show, the drama would come entirely from the contrived drama of a match or training. Ping Pong was entirely unconcerned with who won or lost and was far more interested in the characters themselves. In fact, you don't see who won the final match until we see a framed picture of the podium shot during a flash-forward. Ping Pong is only partially a sports show; the character drama of its main cast is the real meat and, it does character development better than any show this year except maybe Mushi-shi.

So unless you are so anime that you are allergic to quality storytelling, I would suggest watching Ping Pong. Also don't watch if you are prone to motion sickness, because, yeah, the animation can get pretty wobbly.

I'll watch the first few episodes before Christmas, then, and see how I like it.

Srice posted:

While that is fair, I do wanna comment that putting sports anime all under one umbrella can do it a disservice.

I don't like most sports, though. Like I don't wanna be snobbish about it but if I can't get my head into the game a show is centered around it probably do much for me. ViggyNash's description sounds like that isn't a problem with Ping Pong, though.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 22, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Space Flower posted:

Everything else was like, normal comfy anime. Ping Pong doesn't really have competition for 'shows that blew your pants off' unless you can count Rebellion as a 2014 anime.

This is my same reasoning with KLK and Stardust Crusaders. Most other shows this year were very bland and normal.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Harettazetta posted:

5. Kill la Kill - The best show you'll never show anybody ever.

Yeah I mean, if you hate people and don't want them to know about awesome things.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't have any opinions on HxH as a show other then I don't care for the character designs and the setting doesn't grab me, but I still cringe at it's name slightly because a lot of blogs I've wanted to follow post so much of it I barely see any of what I followed them for.

Which I guess means it's really good. The author also did YuYu Hakusho, which is one of my all time favorites. I might go over it during the summer.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pootybutt posted:

PPl who didn't like the first half of SC are completely insane. Everything from Ebony Devil onward was tops.

It's only going to get more perfect. God, I can't wait for next Friday.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You're still gonna miss out on some great fights and real quality anime. Those are the best two, granted, but still.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Twiddy posted:

You guys are getting awfully pushy about a show that got 10 votes when the top show got 54.

It's just weird how I'm supposed to have the worst opinions in ADTRW and yet there are people that don't like or want less JoJo.

What show is this?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

glomkettle posted:

Jojo is an okay and fun show. I almost didn't watch it because its fans are incredibly fond of overhyping it and being super obnoxious.

It is kind of annoying when people keep insisting to people who are uninterested that it'll get really great eventually. The only time that's really justifiable is specifically when talking about how stands get more weird and less punchghost. Otherwise there's a point where if someone isn't liking JoJo now it's probably not gonna get magical for them later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Hocus Pocus posted:

Such a strong year!

It could have been better. Certainly the good shows were very, very good, it just felt like they were rarer then they should have been. I'm more optimistic about this year, if not this first season. I can't wait for the '15 version of this thread.

• Locked thread