Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
1). Barakamon: This was the funniest show of the year and it's not even really close (sorry, Nozaki). But that to me is honestly a secondary plus to the main attraction, which was the extremely endearing cast and relationships. They got it right here on all fronts, especially the voice acting interestingly enough.

2). Mushishi Zoku Shou (s2): I'm not sure what we did to deserve another pass at Mushishi 9 years after the fact, but I'll take it anyway. Still wondrous, thought provoking, beautiful, and often terribly tragic. My only knock might be that you could kind of see the seams of the budget every now and then (lots of white backgrounds) but the underlying story was still superlative.

3). Ping Pong the Animation: I've never been a huge fan of Yuasa outside of Tatami Galaxy, but his style worked great with a story that I already knew I liked from watching the live-action film ages ago.

4). Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun): I don't think I'm quite as enamored with this as the rest of ADTRW but it's pretty funny and the characters are memorable.

5). Amagi Brilliant Park: I had the lowest expectations in the universe for this but you know what, it's the best thing KyoAni has done in years. It tells me that they should probably just go back to adapting other people's works because all of their previous attempts to write/produce their own content has gone nowhere. I'll gladly watch more seasons of this silly and funny show.

Other mentions:

Kill la Kill: It was a show that existed. That's about the most time and energy I'm willing to invest to talk about it.

Hanamonogatari: Eh, it's really more of a standalone OVA or even extension of the Second Series from last year rather than its own series (also lol at Tsukimonogatari in the list). Even if you did count it I doubt it'd have the merit to crack anyone's top 5 on its own. As far as Monogatari stories go it was pretty good though.

Fate/stay night [Unlimited Blade Works]: Can't count this yet myself because like Fate/Zero it won't be finished until the second half airs in the Spring. Not sure it would crack the top 5 though if I could count it, most of the great parts of the story that are to be looked forward to are going to be in the second half.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders: Not sure I'd want to count this either, since it's also not finished. Even so it's probably another case of something that wouldn't break my top 5 anyway. Overall pretty fun even if I liked Battle Tendency a lot more.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It just did, I think. I mean it's getting a movie next year but the show is over. E: Bah now my response makes no sense :mad:

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 21, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cake Attack posted:

wow i watched a lot of mediocre anime and didn't watch a lot of really good anime this year

the only show i watched that I think is good enough to be on a list of the year's best is Monthly Girl's Nozaki-Kun
What about the adventures of a Junon Boy??

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's less about the sport than it is about the characters. Ping Pong and Chihayafuru have excellent characterization, with arcs that are well fleshed out on both our heros' sides and their rivals which ultimately don't directly require simply winning or losing their matches. There is a clear distinction in my mind between shows like those and what I guess I'd call hyper-shounen burning passion training montage content like Ippo, Prince of Tennis, or Eyeshield.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My problem with Chaika is that it felt virtually identical to Scrapped Princess (same author) but less interesting. And I guess if the second season has a rushed ending that makes it even more similar.

Endorph posted:

This comparison doesn't really apply because what made Chihayafuru great in my mind is that it made me care about a show that I had a giant cultural barrier towards. There was dramatic card slapping and crying when people won/lost and dramatic music swells, and metaphorical visuals based on the poems on the cards. There might not have been any training montages, but the characters clearly had a ton of passion and cared a lot about what they were doing. The show was about the characters, but it was totally about karuta, too.
If you're interpreting my post as meaning that the sport doesn't matter as a factor towards making these particular shows good, then that was not my intention. Chihayafuru did a very good job of presenting its unusual sport in an appealing manner, both in how the matches would play out and the visual/audio aesthetics. I would agree that in general I was invested in the outcomes, and one of my praises of the second season is that it truly did feel like it was a team I had been following in real life which may be about the highest sort of praise a "sport anime" can receive at least with respect to the sport it is ostensibly presenting. I was merely trying to highlight what I feel is a difference inherit seemingly more in the demographics' styles, presentations and general focus; Josei (Chihaya) & Seinen (Ping Pong) vs. the glut of shounen stories that seem to be a dime a dozen. To put it more simply, the writing just seems a whole lot better with these shows and while that is arguably most easily demonstrated by the characterization it likely extends downwards to the presentation and portrayal of the sports as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For something that was a Zorak Bolded Show it seems no one ultimately gave a poo poo about Captain Earth.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Looks like one Mushishi vote got counted separately.

• Locked thread