Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Space Dandy (s1+s2) - No matter what anyone says about this show, it deserves respect. The style and structure of the series being what it is may not be everyone's deal, but the ability to let a given director go hog wild and do anything they want paid off in spades. The hits well outnumbered the misses, and even the least enjoyable episodes were an experience I'll not soon forget. The second season somehow managed to make the first one look like a warm-up (but still had its own stand-out episodes of course). Easily one of my favorite shows of all time, and it saddens me deeply that it's not the most successful series ever.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun) - In a year of excellent comedies, this one reigned as king. Every character is my favorite, all of them are the best. The comedic timing is spot on and the voice actors/actresses hit it out of the park. The source material is just as good, so I sorely hope we get more of this and soon.

Nisekoi - Shaft took a fairly standard wacky romcom manga and made it into a trippy visual treat. It got me into the manga which is as much of a curse as anything, but it delivers that light touch of fun everyone needs every now and again.

Ping Pong: The Animation - Whatever I was expecting when I went into this show, even knowing who Masaaki Yuasa is and expecting the best, I was way off the mark. I found myself enthralled by something I thought would be really cool at best. The story is amazing, and the stylization may seem off-putting but it fits so goddamned well. It almost makes me ill when people say the animation style puts them off because it is amazing, and daring to be different is something I respect the hell out of(see also: Space Dandy).

Log Horizon - Speaking of expectations, I was way off the mark with this one. It's way too easy to write this off as something you don't need to watch, but it's thoroughly enjoyable and quite well written. The transition to Deen hasn't been all that, but just based on the first season alone, it's well worth watching.

Honorable mentions:
Golden Time - Refreshing for most of its run, a show about a couple (instead of will-they-won't-they) that couldn't quite bring the whole thing home.
Kill la Kill - Did this really air this year? It feels like ages ago. I'm sure someone has a lot more words to say about this one than I do, but as someone who is just along for whatever crazy ride Trigger wants to send us on, I enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread