Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryzic
Feb 28, 2009

No, actually. I would hate to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!
Grimey Drawer
Definitely get a variable power supply. This is my favorite el cheapo.

If he doesn't have a breadboard, definitely get him one. Ideally, he won't have to solder until he's done with his design. If he wants to make semi-permanent things, perfboard is a good choice-- the step between breadboards and a real printed circuit board.

Depending on what he's interested in, some cheap sensors can be fun to add to projects -- magnetometers, IMUs, temp sensors. They are typically very easy to add to arduinos.

Send him to sparkfun or adafruit and try to work through some of the simpler projects.

With regards to the oscilloscope, I would highly recommend avoiding a USB scope, because they tend to become useless at higher frequencies. I think the go-to cheap hobbyist scope is something from the Rigol DS1000 line, which can range from $300-$1000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread