Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I am building an electronics lab for my 15 year old. He is really interested in this stuff and I figure now is a good time to get him a bunch of stuff to get a jump start on college.

So far I have this stuff:

1. Hakko FX-888D digital soldering station
2. 60/40 solder, led-less solder, thin and thick
3. Honeytek A6013L Capacitor tester
4. Digital multimeter
5. Wire leads, different colors and sizes
6. Flux and Copper desoldering wick
6. Resistor pack, common values
7. Capacitors of different values
8. various components
9. Ardunio (x3)
10. Ardunio Due (more outputs and inputs)
11. speakers/microphones
12. computer accessories for taking apart
13. USB voltage/amp tester (for usb stuff)
14. LEDs
15. various Ardunio shields and ATMEL attiny 8 bit 20mhz cpus
16. 8 channel relay module (for power control via Ardunios)
17. various switches and buttons
18. Helping hands w/ magnifying glass
19. USB Software Defined Radio dongle w/ antenna
20. Heathkit electronics manuals (general stuff)

Now, I am quite sure I forgot a bunch of stuff that would be useful. Any recommendations or ideas for a budding computer/electrical engineer would be most appreciated!

[edit] I need an oscilloscope but man are they expensive.. anyone know of a cheaper alternative?

redeyes fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

craig588 posted:

Hakko iron and a generic multimeter? I would have gone the other way with a 10 dollar radioshack iron and a 100 dollar name brand multimeter. I'm more of the mindset of buying stuff as you need it, not just buying things because they sound good. It'd suck to spend 300$ on a cheap scope and it turns out he really needed one that was 350$ and you're stuck frusturated wishing you only spent 50$ more. Arduino shields and kits are very gimmicky, but maybe they have a use from an educational standpoint. I've never had a job that an Arduino would be the best option for. I've mostly used them for throwing together something quickly for a proof of concept before going forward with a more specialized and much cheaper design.

Get a solder sucker, they're cheap and I like them more than wick for a lot of tasks.

Its a Innova 3320 multimeter like so: http://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3320-Auto-Ranging-Digital-Multimeter/dp/B000EVYGZA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top "This little meter is outstanding! I own a Fluke DMM 179 and of course that meter is top of the line. But would you believe this Equus 3320 is 99% spot on with it's readings when compared to a recently calibrated Fluke 179"

I have a piece of poo poo 20 dollar soldering iron and have had quite enough of it. The Hakko is a dream compared to it and so I consider it money well spent... was only 90 bux. I have a solder sucker as well, forgot to mention that. The kid knows ardunio programming and it has turned out to be a good educational tool so I got him a few to be able to do more than one thing at once. This is all for learning and not for a particular project.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 20, 2014

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

You might look into a giant magnifying glass or even a 20x-40x binocular microscope (especially if he starts doing SMD soldering, which is really useful and not at all hard). You might also try to start him on eagle or orcad layout software (as its a ton of fun imho) and small boards are cheap enough to have made with oshpark and the like.

Great idea about the magnifying glass. Poor kid has bad eyes and this would be handy. Also a great idea about the layout software. Thanks!

• Locked thread