Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.

quote:

Ascension is inspired by the real-life Project Orion that existed under the administration of President John F. Kennedy. The show sets up an alternate version of reality in which, in 1963, President Kennedy and the U.S. government, fearing the Cold War will become hot and lead to the destruction of the Earth, decided to launch a covert space mission. They sent 350 voluntary men, women and children into space on a century-long voyage aboard the USS Ascension, a massive, self-sustaining generation ship. Their mission is to colonize Proxima Centauri, assuring the survival of the human race. At 51 years into the journey (i.e. in the present), as they approach the point of no return, the mysterious murder of a young woman – the first homicide since their departure – causes the ship's crew to question the true nature of their mission

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJqQ4OdPcAo

It launched as a three part miniseries. The big plot twist at the end of the first part being that the ship isn't in space, but is actually part of a secret government sociological experiment on Earth.

It has it's lame moments, but I enjoy the show and I support any science fiction show that's on the air, because there aren't enough. So let's watch and discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
hahaha, this show is so bad; yet another example of syfy overreaching and loving up a decent plot

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Yeah this was pretty terrible and the ending was clearly "We want it to get picked up for a series" which I don't think is going to happen, so you don't even get any kind of satisfying conclusion.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Ive just watched the first episode, and the twist at the end killed my interest in it. I mean I seen it coming but I had hope it wasnt going to happen.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I watched the first episode when they were showing all three on the night when the third one was new. Every single break contained a plug for the all new third episode; said plug started with the blonde lady whose name escapes me saying 'They're on Earth!'.

Brilliant.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
Do parts 2 and 3 get any better? I struggled through part 1, the ending just ruined the momentum for me. If it just was straight forward and stuck with the idea I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

The acting is just atrocious, even 6 looked sad saying her terrible lines. So much bizarre exposition that felt unnatural, like if I started talking in this thread about how I am posting on a PC on the internet because the Internet is a thing in the year 2014 we all use to talk about TV shows with each other because we like TV.

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat

spronk posted:

Do parts 2 and 3 get any better? I struggled through part 1, the ending just ruined the momentum for me. If it just was straight forward and stuck with the idea I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

The acting is just atrocious, even 6 looked sad saying her terrible lines. So much bizarre exposition that felt unnatural, like if I started talking in this thread about how I am posting on a PC on the internet because the Internet is a thing in the year 2014 we all use to talk about TV shows with each other because we like TV.

The acting stays pretty awful, with one or two exceptions. The exposition is toned down for the rest, though. There's a few cool moments. I don't feel like I wasted my time watching the rest.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Goddamn do I hate magical all-knowing semi-psychic child characters. I hate them so much that I didn't even care about anything else that was bad, which is probably why I liked the rest of the show. Interesting ideas.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I liked the show. I'd watch it if it was picked up.

So I guess the goal is for them to develop psychic powers over 100 years then be able to will the ship to another planet and then just bop back and forth to Earth?

The heel/face turn of Viondra was pretty clever as well.

Zadus Rejan
Nov 9, 2011
Watched it and liked it!

Having an internet access is mandatory because the serie lack interest if you miss the history recap of the ship on the serie's website.

I hope it's picked as a serie or at least have another season or two on the same format as a 3*1h30.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Yeah gently caress it, put a ghost in, why not.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Zadus Rejan posted:

Watched it and liked it!

Having an internet access is mandatory because the serie lack interest if you miss the history recap of the ship on the serie's website.

I hope it's picked as a serie or at least have another season or two on the same format as a 3*1h30.

Only the first episode is actually ninety minutes, the other two were just two episodes mashed together. You can see this in the opening credits.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

CaptainCaveman posted:

Yeah this was pretty terrible and the ending was clearly "We want it to get picked up for a series" which I don't think is going to happen, so you don't even get any kind of satisfying conclusion.

I kind of assumed this thread was created because it had been picked up so huh. Does anyone know if there's a date syfy would announce whether or not they pick it up?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I liked the idea of doing more than just a pilot and using it to generate some interest. It seems like they gave too much away for the show to actually be watchable if they picked it up. Too much of the mystery was just kind of tied off at the end. Over reaching etc and so forth. They could have slowed down and focused on character and world building.

Zadus Rejan
Nov 9, 2011

David D. Davidson posted:

Only the first episode is actually ninety minutes, the other two were just two episodes mashed together. You can see this in the opening credits.

I know, but the way the content is available is way better than if it was space other 5 weeks. The quality is good enought to make you wait but binge watching them in 3 day was nice.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

As i already said in the general thread: If this gets picked up, i'll give it a chance. Solely on the assumption they continue (or better: start over) from the last 20 minutes and forget about 98% of the dreck that happened before.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

plot twist: the base that the ship is in is actually itself a ship that's actually in space

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
The idea is pretty good I guess, I remember liking that story by JG Ballard that this seems to be based on, but it's executed in pretty much the most boring way possible. I've made it until the reveal and it feels like I've already seen everything this show has to offer. I didn't even mind that the 'twist' was kinda obvious, it's just that none of the characters are interesting in any way and most of the time is spent on boring murder mystery or people loving who they shouldn't. From reading the plot synopsis it seems like more of the same for another 3 hours.

Can anyone who's seen the whole thing tell me what was the deal with the annoying psychic girl? Also, did no one really bat an eye at the fact that they got sent on a 100 years mission without even knowing what kind of environment to expect on the planet? I guess in the worst case scenario they could just stay on the ship indefinitely, but it didn't seem like a good idea for a mission that expensive and important.

Liam Emsa posted:

plot twist: the base that the ship is in is actually itself a ship that's actually in space

The entire show is the ending to the first Men in Black :eyepop:

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

grate deceiver posted:

Can anyone who's seen the whole thing tell me what was the deal with the annoying psychic girl?

It's not really explained. There's something about a hastening human evolution type thing, and they repeatedly deny that the birth lottery is rigged to the point that it clearly must be. And then she generates an EMP pulse/controls some magic orb thing under the swimming pool, and teleports somebody away. The End.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

I'm pretty sure she teleported the guy to Proxima Centauri, or whatever the planet is.

In fact, I'm guessing the whole entire purpose of the experiment is

--------
The space travel is impossible. So the experiment was designed as a eugenics experiment to perfect human evolution to the point at which they get telekinetic powers. The purpose of this being for quantum teleportation. Because that's the only way to reach Proxima Centauri, by teleportation.
--------

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
that dumb face the girl kept making the entire show was how she triggered her powers

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Liam Emsa posted:

I'm pretty sure she teleported the guy to Proxima Centauri, or whatever the planet is.

In fact, I'm guessing the whole entire purpose of the experiment is

--------
The space travel is impossible. So the experiment was designed as a eugenics experiment to perfect human evolution to the point at which they get telekinetic powers. The purpose of this being for quantum teleportation. Because that's the only way to reach Proxima Centauri, by teleportation.
--------

Yeah, that's what I got out of it too. They are hoping that at the end of 100 years they'll just wink the ship out of the ground to their destination, none the wiser that they'd spent the last century on Earth.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Welp, glad I didn't waste any more time on it then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is loving terrible.

Edit: where does all this booze keep coming from?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that kind of bugged me was how we didn't really see all that many old people. Like, if you couldn't work did they just euthanize you?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

Something that kind of bugged me was how we didn't really see all that many old people. Like, if you couldn't work did they just euthanize you?

Same here. On a high tech spaceship with fairly advanced medicine and no diseases, there's no reason why you shouldn't have a 75 year old Captain, and a lot of other old people in positions of authority, besides the late middle aged Council. I have the same complaint about Mount Weather and the Ark on The 100.

Of course the answer is "tv" and the fact that they want sexy younger people for the leads.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did they ever explain how the guy who started the project figured out that eventually someone on the ship would develop magic teleport powers?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Rhyno posted:

Did they ever explain how the guy who started the project figured out that eventually someone on the ship would develop magic teleport powers?

He figured it would happen because they've been selectively breeding the ship people and giving them drugs to make it happen.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

I assume that will be revealed later, if there is a later. It would seem to me that they developed the idea of teleportation first, and came up with the whole colony ship facade later, which makes me wonder where a former Nazi rocket scientist would come up with that idea.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Astroman posted:

I assume that will be revealed later, if there is a later. It would seem to me that they developed the idea of teleportation first, and came up with the whole colony ship facade later, which makes me wonder where a former Nazi rocket scientist would come up with that idea.

If this ever becomes a series (which I doubt) I really hope it turns out the idea for the project came from aliens teleporting from Earth from Proxima Centauri. Hell, they even set it up by having the fake conspiracy theorist mention lizard people! Actually why not just directly tie Roswell/Area 51 into it?

Anyway this kind of made me think of BioShock in Space at points.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Well I just binge-watched all of this. I thought the first episode was the strongest, but I enjoyed the whole thing overall. I guess that puts me in the minority around here - but I see a lot of potential for at least one season of a regular show too. I wouldn't have called the ending of the BattleStar remake miniseries-pilot very satisfying objectively, so I can't really fault the same thing here. If the BSG show had never been picked up after that, it would have left me hanging pretty badly. Personally I want to see what happens to the XO now that he's been warped to another planet - and I really want to see the inhabitants of the ship accidentally "discover" alien life in the form of Alf from old TV - so their entire enclosed shipboard culture becomes tainted with their incorrect assumption that they're heading to a planet of Alfs. Also, I used to play a lot of Deux Ex as a kid, and I wouldn't mind the TC Group being fleshed out a bit more. I want to know more about the Star Child.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
You know looking at this and dominion, I think it's safe to say that someone high up in SyFy likes fallout. There's elements of the Vaults in this show and Dominion pretty much takes place in Lost Vegas.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

AwkwardKnob posted:

Well I just binge-watched all of this. I thought the first episode was the strongest, but I enjoyed the whole thing overall. I guess that puts me in the minority around here - but I see a lot of potential for at least one season of a regular show too. I wouldn't have called the ending of the BattleStar remake miniseries-pilot very satisfying objectively, so I can't really fault the same thing here. If the BSG show had never been picked up after that, it would have left me hanging pretty badly. Personally I want to see what happens to the XO now that he's been warped to another planet - and I really want to see the inhabitants of the ship accidentally "discover" alien life in the form of Alf from old TV - so their entire enclosed shipboard culture becomes tainted with their incorrect assumption that they're heading to a planet of Alfs. Also, I used to play a lot of Deux Ex as a kid, and I wouldn't mind the TC Group being fleshed out a bit more. I want to know more about the Star Child.

I just did the same last night. I'd agree that the first episode was probably the best one, I was just getting used to how crappy most of the dialogue was, and had completely suspended my disbelief about how they managed to launch such a thing in the 60s without anyone noticing the hugest rocket ever, but then they dropped the big reveal about them still being on Earth, and I was totally hooked. Having watched all of it now, I think it actually would have been better to do that reveal at the end of a first season, but such is pilots I guess. I did enjoy the little parallel of detective figures both inside and out trying to figure out what was going on, and now I guess we're set up to have young-Ryan-Gosling try and figure out what the deal is with Alf.

I do hope they made more of this. Having them on the ship makes a nice excuse to keep the sets contained too, which has to help it stay cheap.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

PittTheElder posted:

I just did the same last night. I'd agree that the first episode was probably the best one, I was just getting used to how crappy most of the dialogue was, and had completely suspended my disbelief about how they managed to launch such a thing in the 60s without anyone noticing the hugest rocket ever, but then they dropped the big reveal about them still being on Earth, and I was totally hooked. Having watched all of it now, I think it actually would have been better to do that reveal at the end of a first season, but such is pilots I guess. I did enjoy the little parallel of detective figures both inside and out trying to figure out what was going on, and now I guess we're set up to have young-Ryan-Gosling try and figure out what the deal is with Alf.

I do hope they made more of this. Having them on the ship makes a nice excuse to keep the sets contained too, which has to help it stay cheap.

It would be loving awesome if there were several major plots going on, and in the background that guy was just obsessed with Alf and trying to figure out what that was, and nobody else pays attention to him. Like for a whole season. :getin:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

"Want to make up for that night spent hiding in the rover? :allears:"
"Not now Bangs-y, I'm trying to find the records on this Tanner family. They must be on the ship somewhere!"

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

PittTheElder posted:

"Want to make up for that night spent hiding in the rover? :allears:"
"Not now Bangs-y, I'm trying to find the records on this Tanner family. They must be on the ship somewhere!"

Then he forms the cult of Alf.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
This show isn't just an elaborate prequel for Alf, is it?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Just finished the miniseries, it felt like the JJ Abrams and the BSG team does a Syfy 1 seasoner.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Dead for good:

http://deadline.com/2015/03/ascension-not-going-as-series-syfy-1201389677/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Well, I don't think that's much of a surprise there. Oh well.

• Locked thread