Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Is it too late for categories? I was behind on the thread until tonight so I didn't get to post, but all the events categories are from the end or middle of the year.

Would have liked to have seen some sochi or crimea comics since all of that went down early this year.

Although maybe it's not late to add a putin fanboy/worshipping category? That could cover both snd we'd get to choose the best comic featuring a conservative fapping to putin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

fool_of_sound posted:

Most easily reinterpreted

I think this is my favorite because it's the most coherent visual metaphor I've ever seen Ramirez make.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

You guys may wanna hold off on the rewards re. the news from New York. I'm sure there'll be plenty terrible comics from that.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ramirez is probably going to make a comic so utterly utterly horrible about that incident and seal in a win for 2014

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Really sad we're not getting a "Worst Kim Kardashian comic" as that really was the ultimate "a thing happened" in Political cartoons this year. That in mind, I'd like to nominate this for "a thing happened":

and this for the DEBTie (ie worst labeling)

I don't know if this counts as "Best edit" but it's certainly my favourite Ramires mock-cartoon:

(thank you A Hungry Mouth)

And in honour of this loving piece of poo poo I'd like to petition that we either have a "Worst victim blaming" cartoon called (or simply rename the "Worst Cartoon about a tragedy") the BROWN:

Samovar posted:

You guys may wanna hold off on the rewards re. the news from New York. I'm sure there'll be plenty terrible comics from that.

Why what happened in - oh, holy gently caress. Hold onto your butts, people, we're ganna have a whole lot of last-minute contenders.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Dec 21, 2014

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

For your consideration.

Worst Middle East Cartoon

Welp, guess those children deserved it.

Worst Police Brutality Cartoon

Yes, police brutality is bad and all that, but BLACK PEOPLE ARE THE REAL RACISTS!!!

Worst Torture Report Cartoon

You gotta give me the fangs!

Worst The Interview Cartoon

This is just astounding in its ineptitude.

Worst cartoon about a tragedy

Hey, dead kids, how's that "religion of peace" working out for you? :smug:

Worst caricature

Bish for "Worst Caricature" all year, every year.

Worst "A Thing Happened" cartoon

What does this even mean?

Worst Label

This should just be renamed to "The Gosse".

Least concealed bigotry in a cartoon

Are we allowed to nominate Snafu? It almost feels like cheating.

Laziest cartoon

Also doubles as "Worst 'A Thing Happened' cartoon

Carbon taxes will lead to less environmental pollution and more public revenues. AGC.

Overall worst political cartoon of the year

Just consider this a stand-in for Ramirez' entire body of work. That man produced some unbelievably vile cartoons this year.

Best edit/parody

It's perfect. :911:

Edit: timg'd for readability.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 21, 2014

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Worst label

Best edit/parody

http://www.daybydaycartoon.com/comic/x-men/ :nws: for waifu tits

Meat Recital fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 23, 2014

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Do these count? I think these should count.

In a sea of terrible things, there was something about the seemingly organized attempt to frame the murder of unarmed black men and children as being all about taxes that broke my spirit.

Similarly, while the torture report brought out a lot of god drat loving evil poo poo from the usual suspects, it was the widespread effort to say, "Bad thing? Heh, other thing is the real bad thing!" that got the most gently caress-yous out of me. Perhaps not as heinous on an individual level, I nominate this as a representative of that whole god drat subgenre.

Worst The Interview Cartoon

This is a pretty broad category but Bok is my clear favourite for his ability to cram being wrong about so many different things into one cartoon.

Worst caricature

Worst Label

Fun game: try and figure out whether or not I mixed up my nominees for "A Thing Happened" and "Worst Label".

Laziest cartoon
[timg]Gorrell.jpg[/timg]

I mean, if I'm being totally honest, it's also the worst police brutality cartoon and the worst cartoon about a tragedy, but it's not really fair to put it in those categories because

colonel_korn posted:

Michael Ramirez is human garbage.

Best edit/parody

The Crotch fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 21, 2014

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
A lot of the top contenders are already up, but here are a couple I thought deserved acknowledgement.

Best edit/parody

(Is this from this year? )

Looking forward to voting for Gay Abortions!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Samuel Clemens posted:

What does this even mean?
Really sad we're not getting this as a category.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Xander77 posted:

Really sad we're not getting this as a category.

Also known as Best Muirese language cartoon

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Worst caricature

Laziest cartoon

Koishi Komeiji fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 21, 2014

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I'm going to throw this in Worst "A Thing Happened" cartoon for lack of a better category.

who is spain
Oct 28, 2010

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Laziest cartoon

This is also great because he was too lazy to look up how the DEFCON system actually works. 5 is the least severe, 1 is the most severe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEFCON

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

who is spain posted:

This is also great because he was too lazy to look up how the DEFCON system actually works. 5 is the least severe, 1 is the most severe.

Ramirez don't have time for facts, he only have time for truth.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

who is spain posted:

It's also weird that this is clearly playing off of the terror alert level chart, not DEFCON

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeland_Security_Advisory_System

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

who is spain posted:

It's actually perfect, as poo poo gets more hosed he becomes more resigned to the apocalypse, at DEFCON 2 he gives a speech to the American people, at DEFCON 1 might as well end the world playing your favorite past time!

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

delfin posted:

I'm going to throw this in Worst "A Thing Happened" cartoon for lack of a better category.

I've never heard someone referred to as a gay marriage denier, so I keep reading the first part of that sentence as an independent clause.

"Are you a gay marriage?"

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Garrand posted:

Haha, I remember seeing this when it was first posted, but I only just now understood what it is actually supposed to mean.

Could you explain it because I am completely lost here.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Thanks for nominating this. I thought about it and then came across the "human shields" one which had to be nominated too. But man oh man, this one.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Peel posted:

Could you explain it because I am completely lost here.

I don't remember if this came out back during spring, but if you notice his car and house are full of stuff. It kind of looks like a spring cleaning comic. It's actually a pun. "Stuff happens."

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Can I nominate that jizz-infused poo poo stain Ramirez and his Wormbama for Worst Caricature again?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I dredged up some real poo poo from earlier in the thread.

Also one of the most mind-boggling labels of the year.

Worst caricature

Kind of a weak nomination but I thought this JRRose! deserved a revisit.

Worst Label

Some other highlights that didn't make my list or defy category:

There are quiet a few cartoons for Ebola and Ukraine, not sure why those got skipped while The Interview gets its own spot.

The Wiggly Wizard fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 22, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

Can I nominate that jizz-infused poo poo stain Ramirez and his Wormbama for Worst Caricature again?

Give someone else a chance. Someone with an exciting, new bad caricature.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

There are quiet a few cartoons for Ebola and Ukraine, not sure why those got skipped while The Interview get's its own spot.

Yeah, it's interesting that the categories are weighted to the last three news cycles or so. Not only are Ebola and Ukraine missing categories, but as I noted, illegal immigration is too (because least concealed bigotry means immigration has to compete with police brutality and Middle East politics, which also get their own standalone categories on top of that)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Can we just give Branco a lifetime award for being the dumbest motherfucker alive and call it a day?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Some other highlights that didn't make my list or defy category:

I loving love this one. It's so over the edge you think Kelly made it. Then again, that could be said for most of Branco's cartoons.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Give someone else a chance. Someone with an exciting, new bad caricature.

Only if we all agree that Wormbama is in a class of its own when it comes to piles of poo poo on a paper.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I forgot about Holbert's watermelon toothpaste fiasco but it has since been eclipsed by all of the Ferguson toons.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

I forgot about Holbert's watermelon toothpaste fiasco but it has since been eclipsed by all of the Ferguson toons.

It honestly seems quaint by comparison.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It honestly seems quaint by comparison.
"I remember the good ol' days of when political cartoons at least had some plausible deniability about their racism."

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Rorus Raz posted:

"I remember the good ol' days of when political cartoons at least had some plausible deniability about their racism."

I thought things were pretty restrained up until Ferguson, then it all went completely sideways. Now we have open racism, straight up "we tortured people, gently caress you" toons, as well as the lovely cartoons combining ebola and terrorism scares with immigration. I was particularly fond of the toons about the flood of filthy Mexican children which just assumed the reader would hate the kids, just because.

It should be fun if the cartoonists can keep up the tempo through to the primaries, hopefully a few of them will stroke out in the meantime.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Gilganixon posted:

It should be fun if the cartoonists can keep up the tempo through to the primaries, hopefully a few of them will stroke out in the meantime.
Don't say this. Kirschen had a stroke and somehow became even more of an rear end in a top hat.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Rorus Raz posted:

Don't say this. Kirschen had a stroke and somehow became even more of an rear end in a top hat.
For those who aren't familiar with the Politoons thread, this isn't a joke; Kirschen literally had a mini-stroke at about the same time the Gaza slaughter started (July), and afterwards he went completely off the deep end with vileness.

lothar_
Sep 11, 2001

Don't Date Robots!
Since this is an awards nomination process, I find these nominees easier to stomach with John Williams's Olympic Fanfare and Theme playing in the background while reading these.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'm gonna have to poke around in the time when Robin Williams died because I'm pretty sure there will be some "gems" for worst "a thing happened" and laziest cartoon in there :smithicide:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shugojin posted:

I'm gonna have to poke around in the time when Robin Williams died because I'm pretty sure there will be some "gems" for worst "a thing happened" and laziest cartoon in there :smithicide:

I think I remember there being a few that basically said "Suicide is great because now all your pain is over, Robin" that were phrased really poorly to pretty much endorse suicide if you have any emotional problems at all.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

vyelkin posted:

I think I remember there being a few that basically said "Suicide is great because now all your pain is over, Robin" that were phrased really poorly to pretty much endorse suicide if you have any emotional problems at all.

I think Varvel did a particularly bad one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Varvel's was just a list of the stuff he was in along with a picture of Williams dressed as Mork.

The Williams cartoons weren't bad so much as mostly very low-effort and samey.

• Locked thread