Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon

Cartoon is literally just "black people sure are stupid and lazy and can't speak right!". Racist screed in a "style" that more than one thread regular has argued shouldn't even be considered cartooning.

Worst Torture Report Cartoon

Won't beat Ramirez's poo poo but deserves recognition for rock-headed stupidity.

Worst The Interview Cartoon

Not much stood out in terms of being vile (except occasionally racist depictions of Koreans) but I thought Catalino got high marks for his signature half-assedness. The fact that "How to Train Your Dragon" isn't even a Sony movie only adds to this mess.

Worst "A Thing Happened" Cartoon

Ugly, artifacted, GISed Colorado flag with a crudely-drawn joint to make a non-statement about Colorado's marijuana laws.

Best Edit/Parody

Because somebody already nominated Sain Sputnik's "Ye Fowle Heralde" series:

Mr. Belpit fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
You can tell I haven't been punishing myself with politoons very long :doh:

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Yeah, it's interesting that the categories are weighted to the last three news cycles or so. Not only are Ebola and Ukraine missing categories, but as I noted, illegal immigration is too (because least concealed bigotry means immigration has to compete with police brutality and Middle East politics, which also get their own standalone categories on top of that)

A category for The Interview struck me as weird, since there were definitely more standout Ukraine, Immigration, Ebola, and even Golfing Obama toons, and those were harped on much longer. Even this year's batch of "If Global Warm Why Cold" morons had a richer selection, I thought. The topical categories make it look like only the last two months matter.

Admitting, of course, that the police brutality and CIA torture issues certainly have brought out the absolute worst bile from the usual hacks.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Yeah, I think "A Thing Happened" is all about a cartoon being a complete non-statement, devoid of commentary or, as Selachian put it, insight or significance.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Goddamn this was hard. The usual hacks really tried to outdo themselves with horribleness this year.

Worst Middle East Cartoon:
C - I originally voted for Nominee K ("Kirschen's afternoon tea interrupted) but I'm joining the bandwagon here; with this cartoon, it really looked like Kirschen was one step away from unironically posting Bleached Bones as his own work.

Worst Police Brutality Cartoon:
D - "Haha it's ridiculous that black people don't want to get murdered when it's obvious they inherently deserve it!"

Worst Torture Report Cartoon:
H - The Ramirez cartoon Nominee D came drat close, but it gets edged out by Branco's "Oh, a literal global torture program? Well EPA regulations inconvenience businesses, now that's the real torture!!" Stupid shill motherfucker.

Worst The Interview Cartoon:
B - yeah, the pointless, out-of-nowhere racism clinches it for this toon. I still don't think this event deserved a separate category when other major events (Ebola panic, child refugee crisis, Ukraine crisis, etc.) produced more, and more memorable, cartoons.

Worst Cartoon About a Tragedy:
H - This was possibly the hardest category to pin down just one toon, but Gorrell shat all over a tragedy not only with his trademark laziness, but with an incoherent mess of a toon.

Worst Caricature:
C - Also loving hard to choose, but Kirschen borrowing from Nazi propaganda imagery to call out Jewish "race traitors" with no trace of self-awareness tops everything.

Worst "A Thing Happened" Cartoon:
K - Seriously, what the gently caress is Ramirez even doing in this stain of a cartoon?

Worst Label:
E - Haha what the hell? Also the "Some So-Called Moderates" doesn't belong here; it's a beautiful label.

Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon:
H - Like I said in my nomination, there isn't even a joke or an attempted message here; just "Black people are stupid and lazy and can't speak English well". Compounded by the fact that he used an unaltered picture of a normal black woman instead of a caricature because he thinks black people are inherently ridiculous.

Laziest Cartoon:
A

Most Easily Reinterpreted:
B - This one still makes me laugh. What a hack. Two Pulitzers, goddamn. If I weren't familiar with Ramirez's political stances, I'd think this was a ringing endorsement of Obama's policies.

Overall Worst Political Cartoon of the Year:
D - the only one that still pisses me off when I see it. Made more horrible when you consider that the "artist"'s parents were immigrants. Go gently caress yourself, Ramirez.

Best Edit/Parody:
D - Thank you for these, Saint Sputnik. They made Mallard Filmore indirectly bearable. Nominees G and I came really close for me, though. Everyone who makes edits and parodies deserves recognition; lovely hack cartoonists outnumber good cartoonists by a wide margin, so the thread regulars need you guys to balance that out.

Mr. Belpit fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Abyssal Squid posted:

So I and a lot of other people have had trouble choosing which nominee to vote for because there aren't really any criteria. It's a year away, but I think in the next Gay Abortions we should be able to vote for both an Incompetent and an Odious cartoon for each category. Branco's "Putin-sama so strong, shooting down airlines :swoon:" cartoon simply isn't the same category of awful as Beeler's "Obama cares more about golf than human lives, especially this particular human life, oh no golf club noooo" cartoon even if they're the same degree of awful.

It doesn't work exactly for "most racist" or "worst label," but it does work for most of the other categories, especially "worst caricature." Jesus Christ we needed Incompetent and Odious votes for that, the Holder cartoon is physically unpleasant to look at just because of its geometry, but the Anita Sarkeesian thing is something I still have trouble believing is real, and they both deserve to go down in history as The Worst.

I just assumed the criteria was up to each voter to decide for themselves, which for many categories leads to a wider variety of toons getting votes.

• Locked thread