Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
And no categories about Ukraine or immigration? For shame! I've been saving pointers to cartoons on them all year!

Oh well, I'll try to make them work anyway.

Worst Middle East Cartoon

Found this one while looking for awful MH17 cartoons (there really weren't any) and there can never be enough Ramirez's nominated.

Exhibit A

Worst Police Brutality Cartoon

Never too late for an entry. You go Allie!

Exhibit B

Worst The Interview Cartoon

Does Ramirez have any competition here?

Exhibit C

Worst Caricature

Thanks to randomly clicking through the thread you get this. What the hell is it?

Exhibit D

Worst "A Thing Happened" Cartoon

One of several near-identical options.

Exhibit E

Worst Label

Exhibit F

Laziest Cartoon

Yeah, yeah, Gorrell is a shoe-in for his namesake, but drat if I didn't stumble on the fine entry "La Mort et la Terre, Obama et le Comité Nobel norvégien. Projets de sculptures allégoriques" by Louis-Jacques Durameau Daryl Cagle.

Cagle explained his motivation in making the work in a blog post:

quote:

I just got back from our Cagle Cartoons junket to the cartoon festival in St Just France. I’m way behind on my cartoons, but I knocked this one out from a snapshot that I took in an obscure corner of the Louvre.

This is a painting by 18th century Neo-classical painter Louis-Jacque Durameau about the death of Marie Antoinette. It struck me as a multi-panel cartoon with a big Nobel Peace Prize medal for Barack Obama. I almost put labels on the frames, “Then,” “… and Now” but I decided less is more. This painting is really funny – and all the more so because it takes itself so seriously.

Exhibit G

Most Easily Reinterpreted

Rose makes this so easy in this offering which makes it in just under the wire.

Exhibit H

Overall Worst Cartoon of the Year

Exhibit I

And because it needs to win something and I can't find a good category for it...

Honorable Mention

Exhibit J

If only there was an appropriate category for it because it's still so... Whatever it is.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Worst Middle East Cartoon

Thanks for nominating this. I thought about it and then came across the "human shields" one which had to be nominated too. But man oh man, this one.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

There are quiet a few cartoons for Ebola and Ukraine, not sure why those got skipped while The Interview get's its own spot.

Yeah, it's interesting that the categories are weighted to the last three news cycles or so. Not only are Ebola and Ukraine missing categories, but as I noted, illegal immigration is too (because least concealed bigotry means immigration has to compete with police brutality and Middle East politics, which also get their own standalone categories on top of that)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Those "ship stuck in ice where's your global warming now!?" cartoons are inane and dumb as gently caress, but I don't think they reallly get at the heart of what "A Thing Happened" truly is. They're idiotic jabs at an ideology, so they actually stand for something,

A better example would be this one.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Rebochan posted:

Best edit/parody

...well it was the best for me, because I had to deal with these asshats as part of my chosen profession and the catharsis was much needed.

I don't get what's different between the two sides of this cartoon.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Rebochan posted:

The original, for reference.

For reference, two of Gamergate's most high-profile targets of hate were women that actually DO make their own games.

I get this (bad) cartoon, but I don't really get the edit. I guess it's trying to make a sarcastic statement but it doesn't really do it for me because it doesn't really show the Zoe Quinn analogue in an especially positive light, I guess... But maybe that's the weird addition of the pants at her shins in the lower image making her a bit of a joke. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Worst Middle East Cartoon: E. There's a lot that's disgusting to be found in this year's Middle East Cartoon category, but there's something about Ramirez likening Palestinian "human shields" to Obama's actions with respect to underage migrants that is truly repelling, above and beyond nominees A, J, and L. Don't get me wrong, H is terrible too, but for completely different reasons. It just doesn't have the sheer repugnance of E.

Worst Police Brutality Cartoon: B. This cartoon must win a category, and it might as well be this one. Police brutality? What police brutality? E is a "good" runner up; McCoy brings a strong contender to the table filled with enough hate to leave leftovers for Christmas. D is also awful, but, like H in the Middle East Cartoon category, simply isn't filled with enough bile to win.

Worst Torture Report Cartoon: H. There's something about likening the torture of people later proven to be innocent (or at least not worthy of torture) to EPA regulations... (D is also pretty repugnant)

Worst The Interview Cartoon: A. Going with my nomination here for sheer, mind-boggling incomprehensibility.

Worst cartoon about a tragedy: I. D is awful with its labels and racism, H is close to a "a thing happened" cartoon, but I is the only one that's truly repugnant here, in my opinion.

Worst caricature: G. Yeah, one of the Obamas is going to win, but there is something about unironically reusing a Jewish stereotype (and being willfully ignorant about it) to attack feminists that is truly awful.

Worst "A Thing Happened" Cartoon: K. Don't get me wrong, F is a wonderful cartoon, but it's not "worst" because it's actually funny given the category. O is also pretty bad, but it has a point it tries to convey, so it can't win. P is a nice runner up for inanity, but is too well done. But K... What is it even trying to say?

Worst Label: E Gotta give the Gosse to Gosse (though there is something fantastically awful about G that I won't mind if it goes to Ramirez here)

Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon: O. Does this even have a point other than showing bigotry? (N is a comic strip and can't get a vote, H is pretty bigoted too, but isn't really a political cartoon in the classic sense, C is also bad and worth mentioning, but it's nothing compared to O)

Laziest Cartoon: H Yeah, Gorrell will win the Gorrell with A, but I stand by my nomination. There is something truly lazy in reappropriating a painting that Cagle literally saw at the Louvre.

Most easily reinterpreted: B. Ramirez clearly didn't notice that he made his first liberal cartoon of his entire career.

Overall worst cartoon of the year: C. This one is something else. (Although I is a strong contender)

Best edit/parody: J. I'll admit I didn't follow the edits very closely, but there's something about the sheer number of labels on J that makes it worthwhile. Honorable mention to I for encapsulating all political cartoons for the first half of 2014 in a single cartoon.

• Locked thread