Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Never was able to get too far in this. Although, did see it up on iTunes, tempted to check it out. Granted, not quite the same game as the NES edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Alright then everyone, welcome back to Let's Play Dragon Warrior 1! Sorry this took so long! In addition to all the Christmas shenanigan's, I just started at my new university, and I had some trouble figuring out how to do this update. The next grinding session turned out to be MUCH longer than I expected it to me, so I spent a while trying to figure out how to restructure this update to accomadate that! But here it is at last, so, anyways...here's the update! And this time with music and everything (which I...completely forgot to add when I started this...sorry)!

Overworld Theme

Last time, we got a Magic Key from Rimuldar, so now, we're going to put it to use. So, after saving, let us head, here...

Oh yes, Level 4, and already we'll have explored more than half of the world map by the end of the update. Aren't old-school RPG's funny that way?

Fortunately, THIS TIME, we're not going to be facing much risk, because one, the enemies in and around the Mountain Cave aren't nearly as strong as the ones in Rimular, and we're also not forced to walk through any marshes this time.

So here we are, let's see what awaits us!

Dungeon Theme (1st Floor)

Mmm, seems we have two dungeon floors this time, though again, the enemies aren't that strong. Sure, the 2nd floor has the Skeleton and Warlock...but even then, those two weren't quite as hard to run from as the Wolf and Metal Scorpion, so things still aren't too bad.

Also, there's that Fighters Ring that that one NPC mentioned last update, but, it doesn't actually boost your stats or sell for much money, so you can just ignore it. Anyways...

Like every other cave, this one is pretty dark. But if we use that Torch we got at the very first update...

Ha! There we go!

...I mean ok, that's still not a whole lot of visibility, but it's not so bad, right? I mean as long as you take the first up on the 1st floor, then take the first down on the 2nd floor, you shouldn't get too lost.

And of course, the 1st floor enemies are fairly weak, so death shouldn't be a problem there.

Dungeon Theme (2nd Floor)

That said though, you should still keep your HP up, especially once you hit the 2nd floor, which has these guys. Again, they're low tier Rimuldar enemies, but they're still Rimuldar enemies nonetheless. And yes, the Cave theme DOES get lower and lower in pitch the deeper you go! Rather nice touch if I say so myself.

Other than that, all you have to do is get this Gold chest along the way...

And get this chest at the very end!

Now, this chest has about a 94% chance of giving us Gold, but if we get lucky...

We can get the Death Necklace instead, which we can sell for 1200G! Which, now that I think about it, is kind of a jerkish thing to do to the merchant, because this here is one of two cursed items that you can find throughout the game. Put it on...

And you get this message, along with this sound effect! Fortunately though, despite what the message says, nothing really happens. You don't have any of your stats lowered, you don't take more damage in battle, you don't start having your HP drained...so it's not nearly as bad as any of the cursed items in later Dragon Quest games.

However, contrary to what I said last update, there IS one side effect to being cursed, as MaskedHuzzah pointed out. If you try to enter Tantegel Castle while wearing a cursed item...

The game shows you this message, then kicks you right back onto the overworld. And if you try to be cute, and get yourself killed while wearing a cursed item, you get this response...

:stare: Dang dude! Since when did we turn from being the Dragon Warrior to being Jazz?!? You couldn't even have healed me first?! Or let me save my game?! Thank goodness we have that old man in Brecconary...

Talk to him, and he just gets rid of the curse instantly and free of charge. And even before we had the Internet, we had Nintendo Power AND the Explorer's Handbook to tell us how to get rid of the curse. So really, it's more of a minor inconvenience than anything else. And considering the only two items that curse you to begin with are...

1) An item that only has a 6% chance of actually appearing in some remote cave in the middle of nowhere with no relevance to the plot.

2) Another item that is literally right on the final floor of the final dungeon where the final boss resides, and is even locked behind a door no less.

It really makes you wonder why they even bothered putting curses in the game to begin with. Was there some cut or unused content that was going to be in the game or something, but got taken out? I dunno. It's really kind of a dumb mechanic that I'm glad was changed in future Dragon Warriors...so anyways...

We get ourselves killed! Again :v: !

Throne Room

And fortunately, the King is kind enough to NOT throw us out like beggers...but you know what, this is kind of unfair. Have I not been putting my LIFE on the line?! So why isn't the King giving me something awesome, like a flaming sword, or a tiger...or even a flaming tiger?! But no, instead I just get a few coppers and a torch. That's nonsense! Surely he has more than that?! Surely he's got some secret stash we can raid? Let's go and find out..

Aha! Those four chests we couldn't get yet! Let's open it up, with that Magic Key we got at Rimuldar, and...

...and...

...:gonk:...

Holy cow, the Dragonlord really DID attack Tantegel at some point, didn't he? Apparently the Light Orb wasn't the only thing he took...

Except wait, why didn't that chest disappear? Let's try taking some gold again.

K, took the contents two more times, and it's still not disappearing...

.......Why, I do believe...

WE HIT THE MOTHERLOAD!! WAHOOOO!! INFINITE GOOOOOLD :haw: !!!

Alright, so here's what's happening, as explained by our main man, Ryan8Bit...

Ryan8Bit posted:

[-=The treasure chest bug=-]

The handling of treasure chests in Dragon Warrior was done in a very strange way. Whenever you take a chest, it doesn't simply check to see if you are standing on a chest, but rather it checks what your position is on the map and it checks if you've already taken a chest at that position. These positionsare loaded into a collection of numbers. Whenever you leave a town or cave, this collection is wiped clean, which in part is why chests reappear when youre-enter. The only time this collection is not cleared is when you die because it was an oversight on the part of the programmers, which was later corrected in sequels to the game. Because the data is not cleared, it thinks you still picked up those specific chests at those specific coordinates.

Another thing is that whenever you enter the throne room in Tantegel, the original three chests that were in that room are placed into this collection to make certain you don't get them again. So if you die in one cave after having collected two chests, that makes the total chests it thinks you've collected as five. Because the maximum number of chest positions the game alotted is eight, that makes it so that when we pick up the fourth chest in the treasury, that it would be the ninth chest. Because the collection is full, it can't store that ninth chest's position, and therefore that position will never be on that list when you hit take. So if the game can't find that position on the list, the chest never disappears.

The bug allows you to pull as much gold as you want, which effectively gives you lots of gold really fast, and allows you to buy some of the best equipment very early in the game.

So, that all sounds pretty awesome, right? Only one problem with this method. See this minute long GIF below?

Yeah, that's how long it takes just to collect 200 Gold from the chest. And we're going to want to collect 5315 Gold by the time we're through here, so yeah...that's a bit of a grind, to put it lightly. About 20-22 minutes, to be exact.

And yes, unfortunately, this is still the fastest way to progress through the early levels. I don't remember exactly how much the trick saves, but I believe it saves around 20 minutes in a speed-run due to allowing us to immediately grind at Rimuldar, where all the Metal Scorpions and Wolves are. Otherwise, we'd be reduced to grinding on this green strip of land affectionately known as the "Hills of Hubris"...

Battle Theme W/Intro

And as you can see, all of the enemies except the Ghost either know HURT, or are very resistant to physical attacks, forcing you to spam HURT on them until you can buy a Copper Sword for 180G (and even then, physical attacks don't work well on the Scorpion until Level 6). And then of course, you'd get the Small Shield for 90G, just because it's cheap, and is kind of helpful until you can get the Large Shield.

Unfortunately though, because we no longer have infinite money, we are now forced to recharge at Tantegel instead of the Brecconary Inn. And that problem is only compounded by the fact that, even when you start getting stronger, the Magidrakee's and Magicians are still pounding you with HURT. So you're always having to heal up, despite the enemies otherwise being beneath you, as displayed in this screenshot...

Yeah, not much more Exp. than what we've been getting, is it? What really makes the Gold Glitch so fast however, is that it gives us access to extremely powerful armor that we otherwise would not get until around Levels 10-11. Without it, we would otherwise need to wait till Level 8 to grind at Rimuldar, and even then, we'd still be taking a lot of damage.

So, there you have it. Now let's get a shiny new shield at Garinham, after all the time that's passed!

As you can imagine, the trip is much easier when you're three levels higher, and DON'T try to fight everything on your way there. So, just head there...

Village Theme

And buy the Large Shield, the first of three pieces of equipment we will use to exterminate EVERY monster who dares to walk the Rimuldar region! And since the Half-Plate won't be enough for our purposes, we shall be getting the FULL-Plate armor instead, found in one other place we have to go to. But first, let's talk to the townsfolk, shall we?

Welcome to Garinham. May thy stay be a peaceful one.

Garin, a wandering minstrel of legendary fame, is said to have built this town.

I have heard of one named Nester. Dost thou know such a one?

Yep, there's our 2nd Howard and Nester reference. And here's a neat little fun fact in regards to that. From the looks of the Credits screen, the translation was actually done by a Japanese person. BUT, fortunately, they got an english speaker to look over and localize the text before releasing it to the public...and guess who that person was?

Scott Pelland. And if you didn't know, he was both the Managing Editor and Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Power (yes, those are different positions). So there you go! Our translation was essentially written by Nintendo Power itself! Neat eh? Anyways...

Many believe that Princess Gwaelin is hidden away in a cave.

It is said that the Princess was kidnapped and taken eastward.

And here's where we get some follow up on the whole "Princess Gwaelin" thing. Remember her? Well, it turns out, she was that grey woman stuck behind that door we saw in the Swamp Cave! Unfortunately, despite having conquered the door (who was a terrible foe indeed), there is yet a greater danger that guards Gwaelin, a danger that we'd have trouble with even at Level 13, let alone Level 4. So we're passing on that for now.

So that's the townspeople outside...but what about inside?

I hate people! Go! Leave me!

:stare:

I’m too busy. Ask the other guard.

I’m too busy. Ask the other guard.

And here's where the game blatantly trolls you. See those two guys behind the door? Well that's these two numskulls here, and boy are they irritating. What's worse, we're eventually going to have to go into Garin's Grave, which ALSO has a door that needs unlocking. So if you came here to Garinham with only two keys, and tried to raid the Grave, well...stinks to be you I guess :v: !

Once there was a town called Hauksness far to the south, but I do not know if it still exists.

Remember this for later readers :ssh: ...

They say that Erdrick’s armor was hidden long ago.

Erdrick? Didn't we here of that guy? ...Eh, maybe I'm just imagining things, pay no attention to that readers.

I suggest making a map if thy path leads into the darkness.

A useful tip, except, we Americans already had the Explorer's Handbook. Still good for those who didn't have it for some reason though.

The harp attracts enemies. Stay away from the grave in Garinham.

Now then, remember one of the golden rules of RPG readers! As HCBailly says, "if someone tells you to go and do something, you must therefore go and do it. If someone tells you NOT to do something, you must then go and do it." But, for now, we can't do anything else, so let's go get some more swag, here!

And once you get here, you can buy...

The Full Plate Armor! And in addition to that, you can also get...

The Fairy Flute, directly south of the springs! For now, it just takes up precious inventory space, but eventually we're going to need it for something. Anyways, with that done, let's talk to some more people...

This is the village of Kol.

Please, save us from the minions of the Dragonlord.

Art thou the descendant of Erdrick? Hast thou any proof?

This bath cures rheumatism.

Ok, so, it turns out, I messed up when I said the "Tomato Woman" in Rimuldar wasn't the Puff-Puff woman. It turns out, she IS the Puff-Puff woman in the NES version, but then she got relocated to the hot springs in Kol in the remakes. So, my bad...oh yes, and for those curious, a "Puff-Puff" is where a woman either jiggles her breasts for you, or rubs them into your face (usually the latter when it comes to the Dragon Quest series, though generally it turns out something else is being rubbed on you instead). So hurray for legalized prostitution I guess :reject: ...

Hast thou seen Nester? I think he may need help.

Yet another interesting fun fact. While this whole "Howard and Nester" thing obviously wasn't in the Japanese version, the actual Japanese dialogue is actually fairly similar. You see, instead of some guys looking for Nester, there are two guys named Miyaou and Yuutei looking for someone named Kim. And the joke is that, while all three of them were the scenario writers for this game, only Miyaou and Yuutei are actually listed as such in the game credits.

Now obviously such a joke doesn't really make sense outside of Japan, so the whole Howard & Nester thing is actually a really clever localization choice, in addition to being a cute reference :keke:.

East of Hauksness there is a town, ’tis said, where one may purchase weapons of extraordinary quality.

Said town is somewhere we will go someday, so remember this as well.

In legends it is said that fairies know how to put Golem to sleep.

Golem is afraid of the music of the flute, so ’tis said.

Now here's something else rather curious about the game. This "Golem" guy is, surprise surprise, an "optional boss" in the game. Meaning you don't technically have to fight him...but you need to in order to get the most powerful shield in the game. So he's basically mandatory, and we need the Fairy Flute to defeat him at a reasonable level...

But here's the thing. Nobody actually tells you where Kol is. In fact, the only "Non-Kolian" person who even tells us that there IS a town named Kol is that Howard guy in Rimuldar...but even then, he doesn't tell us WHERE Kol is. And of course, we're fortunate enough to have a fairly obvious Grassland trail that leads to Kol, but one could still theoretically miss this vital clue...

Point is, be glad we had that Explorer's Handbook :) !

Rimuldar is the place to buy keys.

"Ah! So THAT'S how I can get more keys!", your typical newbie would say upon finding Kol. However, as the game is then quick to point out...

Dreadful is the South Island. Great strength and skill and wit only will bring thee back from that place.

Hast thou been to the southern island? (Yes/No)

(if you say ‘No’): To the south, I believe, there is a town called Rimuldar.

(if you say ‘Yes’): I have heard that powerful enemies live there.

So that's your cue not to go till you're absolutely ready meaning you'll want to be able to get the Broad Sword when you get there. And we WILL want a Broad Sword soon. Because after all...

Though thou art as brave as thy ancestor, Hero, thou cannot defeat the great Dragonlord with such weapons. Thou shouldst come here again.

See? Our weapons sucks! We simply HAVE to have a Broad Sword, located here!

At last! A a proper weapon for the Dragon Warrior to wield! But before we put it to use, you're going to want to rest up at the Inn...

Yeah, 55 Gold. Quite a far cry from the mere 6 Gold amount that the Brecconary Inn charage you, huh? This is why I said to get 5315 Gold rather than just 5300. Because while you do get some extra money from selling off the Club and Clothes, that only adds up to 40G, and we REALLY don't want to start grinding until we've gotten all our MP back.

That said though, I'm going to end things right here, just for now. I was going to cover the grinding, but, that whole section turned out to be much longer than anticipated, so I had to rework this update to accommodate that. Instead, I'm going to split this update into two parts, and upload the grinding section either tonight or tomorrow. So, for now, look forward to next time on Let's Play Dragon Warrior! Have a nice night everyone!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 18, 2015

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
You used the curse removing old man screenshot twice instead of showing what happens when you try to enter the castle.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Cheez posted:

You used the curse removing old man screenshot twice instead of showing what happens when you try to enter the castle.

...Whoops. Don't know how I missed THAT when looking over this update, but, it's fixed now.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Once again, I learned something new from an LP of a game I loved when I was a kid. I never knew about the Infinite Gold trick. Thanks for that!

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS
God, I loved this game when I was little. I always used my real name, Abby, for characters in games then-- I'm tickled to find out that that name gives you sixes across the board! I'm learning a ton here that I had no clue about back then, thanks!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What is the point of having damage squares in towns that are inaccessible?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Scalding Coffee posted:

What is the point of having damage squares in towns that are inaccessible?

They look kinda cool! :)

I think this may be the first LP I've seen that literally links to disassemblies. I'm a fan of dissection LPs, so this has been a lot of fun.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Huh, I always thought the Death Necklace reduced your HP with every step. Guess not.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hello everyone, and welcome back to the grind, on Let's Play Dragon Warrior! But before we get started...

Remember, at some point, you're going to want to buy 5-6 more Keys (depending on if you want to save Gwaelin or not) before we reach the end of this. Just letting you know :) !

So then, let's walk on this sandbar over and over (the best place to farm encounters), and wreak sweet vengeance on these monsters!

Battle Theme W/Intro

Well now, here's the Skeleton.

Basically, he's...just kind of a pansy. With our new armor, the guy only does 0-5 Damage to us while WE'RE doing 4-8 Damage to him, and he doesn't have anything other than his physical attacks. This means that even at just Level 4, we're already completely dominating him. So yeah, if the Metal Scorpion and Wolves were Drackees and Ghosts, this guy would be just a Slime.

Although in this case, he's a Slime that gives WAY more experience than the actual slimes, so go us :D !

Now then, word of warning, you'll usually want to heal up every time you're below 22 HP, both because of Wolves...

And because of Warlocks. Yeah, if Metal Scorpions are Drakees, and Wolves are Ghosts, then this guy is in a whole 'nother league of annoying, because here's the thing. These guys are really weak physically...but they can do this...

Yeah, see that? That would be the Sleep spell, and unlike most RPGs, there is absolutely NO way to resist it. Whenever an enemy casts it on you, it will ALWAYS work, no matter how strong you are, or what gear you're wearing. And once it does, your chances of waking up per turn are as follows...

code:
Turns asleep   Chance of being asleep that long
------------   --------------------------------

1              100.0%
2               50.0%
3               25.0%
4               12.5%
5               ~9.0%
6               ~3.1%
7               ~0.4%
8                0.0%
Now, as you can see, what happened to us there was somewhat of a freak occurrence...but the point is, we do not want to fight this guy right now. In fact, we don't even want to fight him until Level 9, because I've seen this guy do as much as 38 Damage when the game was feeling REALLY vindictive. So, moving swiftly on...

Here's the Wolf. Now, before I cover this guy in depth, there's something we need to talk about. See, as I alluded to in the OP, this game handles Defense in a very odd way. See, the game usually calculates the Damage done to you using the following formula...

code:
Damage Taken: ((EnemyStrength - HeroDefense / 2) / (Random number from 2 to 4))
So with this formula, Defense is pretty much completely worthless, because even if you were to go from being butt naked, to instantly getting the Dragon Scale AND the strongest armor and shield in the game...that only adds up to 50 extra points of Defense. So you'd literally only take 6-12 less points of Damage than if you were naked!

And as for the Full Plate Armor and Large Shield, they only have a Defensive Power of 24 and 10 respectively. So with the Dragon Scale, they'd increase your Defense by a total of 36. Which means any attack you suffer would be reduced by about...oh...4-10 points of Damage. And considering that the Wolf was doing THIS to us last update...

Yeah. Not QUITE as much of a decrease as you'd hope from what is literally the 2nd strongest armor and shield in the game, is it? Except...

Wait...how then is this guy only doing 3 Damage to us? How did THAT, happen?! Doesn't that seem to contradict what I just said?

Well, actually, in addition to the formula I just posted, there's also a second formula that this game uses whenever your Defense Power is higher than your opponent's Attack Power. See, at Level 4, and with our new armor, we have a total of 41 Defense right now, while the Wolf only has 40 Attack. Which means that THIS formula is used instead...

code:
Damage Taken: Random number from 0 to ((enemyStrength + 4)/6).
So essentially, instead of doing 5-8 Damage to us like he would have with the first formula, the Wolf instead only does 0-7 Damage to us. So more than anything, THAT is why would could not have anything but the Full Plate and Large Shield, despite how expensive they are compared to the Half Plate and Small Shield. Because otherwise, you'd have to go all the way to Level 9-10 before your natural Defense would grow high enough to make up for having lesser armor.

Now then, one other thing. In spite of his offensive disadvantage, the Wolf is STILL tough enough to potentially kill you, possessing anywhere from 28-34 HP, and enough Defense so that he only takes 3-6 Damage from your physical attacks. So instead of fighting him with our fists...

We fight him with our MIIINDS! Yes, we may go through MP rather quickly, but this is the only sure way of coming out on top. Plus it's much faster than plinking away at him with our physicals.

Oh yeah, just LOOK at that Exp. and Gold gain! Not only are we going to level much faster, but now instead of getting 2G for every 1 Exp., we're now getting 3G for every point of Exp.! Needless to say, that little stunt we pulled at Tantegel is not the last time we're going to be swimming in Gold!

Now then, here's our final new enemy. Now this guy only has 17-22 HP, and doesn't hit as hard as the Wolf...but he also has much higher Defense...

So needless to say, Hurt is just about mandatory for this guy.

So again, nice Exp. and Gold gain, but do you see our HP and MP to the left?

Well, before I could get back to Rimuldar, this guy came and tried to get a swipe at me. So one thing I like to do if I know that I may need to rest up after the next battle is to walk back and forth across the Plain tile to the right of town and 2 of the Desert tiles, instead of walking back and forth across all 3 Desert tiles. Just so I'm slightly closer to town.

Fortunately we manage to get our "Z"'s in (hur hur), and after some more grinding...

We get our next level up! Hurray!

Now is it anything especially great? Technically no. But it is very helpful in one way.

Because of the damage increase we get, we can now take on Wolves without needing to use Hurt. Now there's still some debate on whether or not you should still keep using Hurt anyways...but right now, the current World Record holder of this game says he likes using physicals at Level 5, so I'm going to stick with what he says. So now it's time for something really bad to happen to me :downs: !

Yes...that happened. And it stunk....

So you know how I said how I liked to talk across 1 Plain tile and 2 Desert tiles when I was at low health? Well this here is why because sometimes, the game can and WILL just decide to be a massive turd to you.

So here we are, just trying to get back to Rimuldar. Fortunately, the trip only takes around 2-3 minutes, and since we didn't actually have much Gold, losing half of it isn't too big of a deal. However, we ARE eventually going to need to buy a 14,800G shield, so once we start breaking 4 digits, we definitely don't want anymore mishaps like this.

Fortunately, we do get to Level 6 without dying, although I do ALMOST die again due to not being diligent enough on my healing. Anyways though, let's look at what we get!

Nothing too special here, this just means that you don't have to use Hurt on Scorpions anymore. But at Level 7, THAT'S when things get interesting!

So in addition to a whole heap of stat gains across the board, we get the almighty...

So just as we start getting wrecked by the Sleep spell, we ourselves learn it shortly afterwards! Rather fitting, and, actually, if you didn't do the Gold glitch, this is one of the most valuable spells you'd have. See, as I said last time, someone who gets to Level 8 the normal way only has enough money to get the Broad Sword, meaning he's still getting completely trashed by the monsters here. BUT, these monsters also have extremely low resistance to Sleep, so getting them to fall asleep is not a problem at all. Furthermore, they only have a 1/3 chance of waking up each turn, so by using Sleep on all the Rimuldar enemies, you could potentially save a titanic amount of time by not having to use HEAL twice after every fight.

However since we DO have that awesome armor, the enemies aren't actually doing too much damage anyways, so Sleep is no longer worth the 2 MP it takes to cast it. After all, you could easily cast it, have the monster just wake up on the very next turn, and end up having blown 2 MP. That said though, Sleep does have a few niche uses even in a glitched run. For example, let's say I'm grinding at Rimuldar, act like a complete idiot, and forget to heal before the next fight. And as I result, I get stuck in this mess...

Now, at this point, I only have a 71% chance of running away from the Metal Scorpion, so I could risk everything on that. But, I also know that the Metal Scorpion has no resistance whatsoever to the Sleep spell, so...

I could actually put him to sleep first, and THEN run away. Because whenever an enemy is put to sleep, you actually become guaranteed to run away from the fight! And everyone but the Warlock is so vulnerable to Sleep, that you actually have a higher chance of landing the spell on them than you do of running away. So that's nice.

Anyways, here's Level 8...

Again, nothing too terribly exciting. Just more stat boosts. But Level 9, that's when things get interesting.

More specifically, Radiant increases your field of vision in caves by 3 rather than just 2, like the Torch, but it also gets smaller as time goes on. Anyways though, that's not what's so important about Level 9. What's really important about it is the strength boost, which allows us to FINALLY take on Warlocks!

You seeb at this rate, we can usually kill Warlocks in 2 hits now, so on average, they should only manage about 12 HP of damage on you. Again though, I've seen freak occurrences where they've taken off as much as 38 HP, so I personally will keep my HP above that, even if I end up healing less than what HEAL could restore. After all, I don't want to lose half my Gold again!

Other than that, the rest of the enemies more or less can't even touch you at this point, so, onto Level 10.

Actually, it's more like "do it to prevent them from using magic", but, I guess that works too. Anyways, this spell is interesting in that, while it's not used too often, it is still EXTREMELY helpful for the times that it is used, so it's still one of the most important spells you have. Plus, it's a nice way of nerfing any Warlocks you happen across while trying to run back to Rimuldar's Inn.

Now then, normally, in a non-glitched run, you'd keep grinding here till you have enough money for the Full Plate. Then after that, you'd build up enough money to get 6 Keys, use two of them to get the Warp Wing (takes you back to Tantegel), walk to Garinham, then get the Large Shield (getting what you need from Garin's Grave while you're there, then death warping of course). After that, you'd get the Stones of Sunlight, buy two more keys, sell the Torch and Dragon's Scale, get some Fairy Waters as well as the Staff of Rain and blah blah blah blah blah.

Us though, we don't have to worry about all that running around, and we can skip immediately to this next section!

Yes, before you were getting to Level 10 fighting enemies in one spot, but NOW you get to go to Level 13 fighting them in ANOTHER spot! Wooooooo :sigh:...

So here's the Wraith. He's...yet another totally generic enemy. Only thing really special about him is that he can use HEAL...but he only does that when under 25% health, and considering how hard we're swinging...

Yeah, he generally doesn't last long enough to actually use it, so whatever.

On a related note, Wolves are now complete jokes, as are their cousins, the Wolflords!

Now, these guys are SUPPOSED to be the bigger, badder version of the Wolf...except, here's the thing.

Instead of always attacking, they'll use Stopspell on you 50% of the time, but you shouldn't actually be using magic against them anyways. So they're basically giving you a free turn, making them even easier than the Wolves!

Finally, our last enemy is the Gold Man, and while he's fairly easy...

He gives absolute garbage for experience in exchange for giving out tons of Gold. So at Level 12, you'll want to kill about five of them (maybe a few more if you died at any point), but otherwise, you're better off just running from them...

Now then, one thing. You might notice that I've been kind of rushing through these levels, and that's because really...there's not much interesting to note once you get up to Level 9 or so. From there it's just "Attack, Attack, Attack", and a lot of it. In fact, just to give you an idea of all the tedium cut out...here's a typical fight at Level 10.

Now keep that in your head, as you look at this...

...So, one piece of NPC text I actually forgot to include in the first update. There's a man in Tantegel who says this...

To become strong enough to face future trials, thou must first battle many foes.

And believe me, the game was NOT kidding when it said that :v:! Which is doubly unfortunate because for those who've been listening to that battle music the entire update, it is EXTREMELY short and repetitive, to the point where it's basically the same few notes played over and over again at varying pitches. Not exactly the best music to be listening to when you're grinding for 90-120 minutes at a time...And to be fair, the game kind of expects you to have done a lot more exploration than what we've done, trying to find Kol, trying to find Gwaelin, trying to find out where we can and can't go, and all that good stuff, so it's not too unfair...YET...

Anyways though, here are the boosts for Level 12...

And here are the boosts for Level 13...

And there we go! The Return spell, though unfortunately, it's not as good as it is in future Dragon Quests. Thing is, in Dragon Quest 1, this only takes you back to Tantegel Castle, and does NOT allow you to go anywhere else. But whatever, it's not a very big world anyway, so that's not too much of a big deal...

But before returning...let's go rescue Gwaelin, shall we? Now then...

See where that transparent square is? That's where that dragon is, but unfortunately...

The sucker never actually shows up on your map! And that's another one of the ways that this game can troll you, because if you're a newbie, you could easily just be exploring this dungeon for treasure and stuff...

And then BAM! Green Dragon comes out and just immediately destroys you! Yes, even at Level 13, this guy hits with the force of 1000 trucks, and we're only doing 8-17 damage in return. So what is to be done against this monster?!

Well, fortunately, Sleep has a 56.25% chance of working on him, so you pretty much want to be spamming that on him every chance you get. That way, even if you end up in a situation like this...

You can still run away, with a 100% rate of success. In fact, actually, you can run from ALL enemies in this game, even the final boss! Thing is though...

The game doesn't actually start you back out on the square you walk on. Instead, it spits you back onto the square just before the boss, so it's not like you can skip it or anything.

So yes, basically, you just spam Sleep, hope it lands before the Green Dragon does too much damage, then you just cut him up!

So there we go! Mission accomplished! Now then, time to get Princess Gwaelin out of this place!

Good thing too. Gwaelin seems rather the worse for wear :ohdear: ...

Gwaelin: Thou art brave indeed to rescue me, Hero. I am Gwaelin, daughter of Lorik. Will thou take me to the castle? (Yes/No)

And now for one of the most famous lines in RPG history! So famous it even got it's own TV Tropes page!

Gwaelin (if you say ‘No’): But thou must. Will thou take me to the castle? (Yes/No)

Yes, it's the "But Thou Must!" situation! Where someone pretends you have a choice, but then will NOT let you go until you answer the way they want you to answer. And then this happens!

Narrator (when you say ‘Yes’): Princess Gwaelin embraces thee.

Gwaelin: I’m so happy!

And then, like a leech...

She actually glues herself to your arms! And as hilarious as it would be to go through the rest of the game while holding her in your arms, she gets sent back to the Swamp Cave the instant you die, and we can't be having that. So, back to Tantegel we go, with new NPC text and everything...

Oh, my dearest Gwaelin! I hate thee, Hero.

Thank you for saving the Princess.

Oh, brave Hero.

Alright, good! So Princess Gwaelin is dropped off now. Now I suppose we ought to...

Narrator: Gwaelin then whispers:

Gwaelin: Wait a moment, please. I would give a present to Hero. Please accept my love, Hero.

What...No...no...you cannot seriously tell me we got hitched :catstare: ! You are not my girlfriend woman! We only just met!

Gwaelin: Even when we two are parted by great distances, I shall be with thee. Farewell, Hero.

Ok...so actually, she gives you an item called "Gwaelin's Love". In the remakes, it has the effect of pointing you towards a valuable item, but in this game, all it does is give you this message when used...

Gwaelin: Heed my voice, Hero, for this is Gwaelin. To reach the next level thou must raise thy Experience Points by <however much you need>. My hope is with thee. From where thou art now, my castle lies.. <X amount of spaces> to the north/sorth and.. <X amount of spaces> to the east/west. I love thee, Hero.

So basically it doubles as an Exp. counter, a GPS, and a cell phone all at the same time. And if your inventory happens to be full when she tries to give it to you, the game does this...

Gwaelin: And I would like to have something of thine--a token. Please give me thy <cheapest discardable item>.

Yes, you read that right. The game literally FORCES you to get rid of one of your items just so you can have Gwaelin's love :doh: ! But I don't care! Gwaelin's Love doesn't give me anything I need, it takes up a spot in my inventory, and most of all, I DON'T LOVE YOU! Why would you...

Gwaelin: Even when we two are parted by great distances, I shall be with thee.

H-hey! Are you listening to me?!

Gwaelin: Dost thou love me, Hero? (Yes/No)

NOOOOO!! I DON'T LOVE YOU! I DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU! I DO NOT...

Gwaelin (if you say ‘No’): But thou must. Dost thou love me, Hero? (Yes/No)

...N-no...no...

Gwaelin (if you say ‘No’ the 2nd time): But thou must. Dost thou love me, Hero? (Yes/No)

You can't seriously tell me...you're pulling this nonsense again...

Gwaelin (if you say ‘No’ the 3rd time): But thou must. Dost thou love me, Hero? (Yes/No)

AAAAAAGGGGHHHHH :bang: !!

Gwaelin (if you say ‘No’ the 4th time): But thou must. Dost thou love me, Hero? (Yes/No)

:gonk:

Gwaelin (if you say ‘No’ the 5th time): But thou must. Dost thou love me, Hero? (Yes/No)

:cripes:

Gwaelin (if you say ‘No’ the 6th time): But thou must. Dost thou love me, Hero? (Yes/No)

:reject:

Gwaelin (if you say ‘No’ the 7th time): But thou must. Dost thou love me, Hero? (Yes/No)

Gwaelin (if you say 'Yes') I’m so happy!

Well then...apparently someone's been taking lessons from the Dragonlord. Yeah, seems you're stuck the moment she sticks that duff of hers onto your arms :sigh:...

Gwaelin: I love thee, Hero.

Welp, that's that. Fortunately, I never did this in the actual run, so come next update, Gwaelin will be sent right back to where she belongs! But where else are we going to go? How can we possibly oppose the Dragonlord, when we can barely defeat one puny Green Dragon? What's in the Grave of Garin exactly? And why do we keep hearing about all these weird items, like the Stone of Sunlight and all that? And just where DID Nester go off to anyways? Find out, on the next action packed episode of Dragon Warrior! This is Fionordequester, signing out. Have a nice night everyone!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 18, 2015

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
As a dumb kid playing this game for the first time, I spend ten minutes hitting "No" over and over. I guess the family became royalty just by being really drat persistent.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Added Space posted:

As a dumb kid playing this game for the first time, I spend ten minutes hitting "No" over and over. I guess the family became royalty just by being really drat persistent.

:keke:

DeathChicken posted:

Huh, I always thought the Death Necklace reduced your HP with every step. Guess not.

Nope! Just checked recently, and that is not the case!

ManxomeBromide posted:

I think this may be the first LP I've seen that literally links to disassemblies. I'm a fan of dissection LPs, so this has been a lot of fun.

Cool! So glad you're enjoying it! And I'm thankful to Ryan8Bit, ShinerCCC, Everhate, and all the other Dragon Warrior runners for all they've done to make this possible to make :) !

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 18, 2015

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I wonder if the other cursed item in the game does that. Could have sworn I remembered getting killed by one of those items, but I've been wrong before.

Hell, knowing me I might be mixing it up with the Necklace of Strangling from Nethack, which most certainly will kill you.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Good thing I ran all the games in quad speed. It still took forever to get to the next area.
Gwaelin made future areas hilarious.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

DeathChicken posted:

I wonder if the other cursed item in the game does that. Could have sworn I remembered getting killed by one of those items, but I've been wrong before.

I think that some of the cursed items in the later NES games can kill the character they're equipped to. Maybe you're thinking of one of those?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

For some reason, the only thing I remember about the last time I played this was gathering a ton of Fighter's Rings by going into that cave repeatedly. And now I learn they don't even do anything.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ultrafilter posted:

I think that some of the cursed items in the later NES games can kill the character they're equipped to. Maybe you're thinking of one of those?

The Multi-Edged Sword in later DQ games is the big one; it does 25% damage back to you. Most of the other cursed weapons in later DQ games won't kill you.

Directly, anyway.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I can't find anything that's directly lethal, but there's a helmet in DW3 that leaves the wearer permanently confused and unable to cast spells outside of battle. That's close enough.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Prism posted:

The Multi-Edged Sword

so were the translators being subtle then? I dunno, I almost feel like it would be funnier if it was just called a plain ol' double-edged sword

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
About being asleep, from what I've understood, you're supposed to have a 50% of awakening each turn forever. The reason you're guaranteed to wake up the sixth turn is due to a weak random number generator. Within six turns of being asleep, the RNG is guaranteed to at least once generate the wake up result.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang, it really seems like there is just a poo poo-ton of wandering damage and you've got like 10 fights before you get too beaten up to do much.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

Dang, it really seems like there is just a poo poo-ton of wandering damage and you've got like 10 fights before you get too beaten up to do much.

Yeah, this game is one of those ones where your trips are either a) explicitly grinding, and thus done as close to town as possible, or b) explicitly trying to complete dungeons, and thus you run from every fight you possibly can to stretch your resources further.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Aces High posted:

so were the translators being subtle then? I dunno, I almost feel like it would be funnier if it was just called a plain ol' double-edged sword

They did change it to that later on (for DQ8), but Multi-Edge Sword is the NES-era translation that both Dragon Warrior 3 and 4 use. So they're only being a little subtle. It also had way more than two edges in the NES-era art on the folding poster thing with all the gear on it.

edit: as shown

double edit: Going through the other items from other games, Gwaelin's Love is apparently actually a compass-y clock thing:

What a weird-shaped love.

Prism fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 19, 2015

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Holy poo poo that's a gaudy necklace. I'd wear full plate too, just to try and keep it hidden.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Crystalgate posted:

About being asleep, from what I've understood, you're supposed to have a 50% of awakening each turn forever. The reason you're guaranteed to wake up the sixth turn is due to a weak random number generator. Within six turns of being asleep, the RNG is guaranteed to at least once generate the wake up result.

I was wondering why it seemed like such a wonky list of probabilities. Though in my opinion that just means they accidentally stumbled onto a better formula, because independent random trials are a terrible way to do things in rpgs.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Nothing says having fun playing a video game like 20 minutes opening the same chest and then grinding encounters on the same three tiles! :v:

I played this game pretty straight at a kid: NPC says do "X" > I go do "X" > I go to the next town > NPC says do "Y" > I go do "Y" and so on. But I would try the Green Dragon at level 10 or 11 to be adventurous, I just bought some herbs and saved MP for Sleep. I also remember killing a shitload of Goldmen and Metal Slimes but I guess I was doing it wrong. :smith:

But I'm enjoying you breaking the game, Fionordequester! Do you plan on going on to the other NES Dragon Warrior games?

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Bregor posted:

But I'm enjoying you breaking the game, Fionordequester!

Yeah, ditto. It's really neat to see how simple the game was, yet it still kept up the illusion pretty well if you treated it like a "normal" RPG (following the directions in the order you get them, basically). I was 12 when I played it the first time with a friend, and he had trouble figuring out where to go so he ground a lot and when he got to the last boss didn't have much trouble with him. By comparison, I tried to rush through things and got there with the second-best sword and level... 18? and was doing 1-3 damage per hit. I was always curious how a relatively small increase in Attack made the damage so different; now I know why. :v:

Glazius posted:

Well, most people probably get to where Fionord started that last update close to the level he ended it at, that makes a big difference. :v:

Abstraction's not wrong (that's the smart way to play it), but you certainly can try to play DW1 like a more modern game, ending up at your destination almost out of HP and MP and then resting up and moving on. Levels make a huge difference in this game, and you never lose XP, just gold; so dying is just part of the risk. That being said, the one thing speedrun and casual guys can agree on: focus on weapons and skimp on the armor until fullplate, and use your MP to Heal up the extra damage you take.

SnowFire
Nov 12, 2010
Mm, good nostalgia. I don't think Young SnowFire ever sequence broke that hard and did what was expected of grind up to next item -> edge into next danger zone -> grind more -> repeat, roughly following the Adventurer's Handbook... although that makes more sense given the infinite gold glitch wasn't used. Also, interesting algorithm dump, that explains a lot about how defense works and why sometimes it's nearly useless, and sometimes quite good. I remember trying a Bamboo Pole / (2nd Tier Armor) open once, and it was awful. Ugh, you can't even consistently one-hit KO Slimes at level 1, and the armor doesn't really matter.

Also, for all that the game has aged badly in many respects, I really do like the amount of freedom to go solve puzzles and explore that DQ1 gives you that the more narrative modern JRPGs don't risk. Even exploration-focused WRPGs tend to hold your hand more for events these days, with flashing arrows of "go here" and very helpful journals that tell you what to do next in each side quest. DQ1's world is small enough that they can just say "go talk to everyone again." (Well, and the very detailed manual existed.)

Fionordequester posted:

Agility: 2 Points of Agility=1 more Point of Defense Power. Also plays a role in running away from enemies. And no, it does not affect how fast you are in battle, believe it or not.

To nitpick: I'd argue that it *does* affect how fast you are in battle, in that it determines how likely you are to get the first turn! Granted, the crippling 0.25 multiplier to enemy Agility in the ambush calculation rigs things in your favor pretty good (and rightly so in a solo RPG), so it's not super-important, but still. I think some more modern games use similar systems - Shin Megami Tensei IV comes to mind, where there's strict alternation between sides, but a high Agility on your hero (in a game where you can control which stats go up) makes it more likely you go first on turn 1, and a low Agility makes it more likely the enemies get first turn. (And SMT "balance" makes going first hugely important.)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can only cram so much information in a cart and still consider the one save and four character limits. Few experiences are as bad as DW2.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hello everyone, and welcome back to Let's Play Dragon Warrior! And man is it going to be exciting, because we're going to be exploring the entire southern part of the continent today! So, obviously you'll want to rest up and stock up on Herbs, but, there's also one more thing to do in addition to that.

Yes, we get 6 Fairy Waters! When you use this item, it prevents certain monsters from being able to fight you on the World Map until you've taken 128 steps. However, exactly WHICH monsters it will repel depends on how much Defense you have. Basically, no monster whose Attack is less than your Defense will be able to fight you. But, if their Attack IS higher than your Defense, then Fairy Waters will have no effect on how often you encounter them.

So, if we were to say, march to an enemy zone where Green Dragons lurk, then Fairy Waters wouldn't repel anyone. But, if we use a Fairy Water right outside Tantegel, then we would be able to walk around without any monsters attacking us! So that's rather nice, and very handy for when we're wandering around the world, getting what we need!

...But, what exactly do we need anyways? Well, maybe this will help...

See that cave? I've been avoiding it all this time, but, normally this'd be one of the first places you'd go after starting a new game. Why is that? Let's find out...

Yep, pretty simple cave. And best of all, there are absolutely NO random encounters here, which is extremely convenient for us. Unfortunately though, when you get the "Tablet", you don't really get an item persay. No, instead, the game reads off this bit of exposition to us...

‘I am Erdrick and thou art my descendant. Three items were needed to reach the Isle of Dragons, which is south of Brecconary. I gathered these items, reached the island, and there defeated a creature of great evil. Now I have entrusted the three items to three worthy keepers. Their descendants will protect the items until thy quest leads thee to seek them out. When a new evil arises, find the three items, then fight!’

So there we have it. That's our underlying mission right there, because right now, the Dragonlord's castle is on an island that we can't get to without those three items. And fortunately, we already know where one of those items are thanks to this guy in Rimuldar...

Thou shalt find the Stones of Sunlight in Tantegel Castle, if thou has not found them yet.

Good, good, so we already know where one MacGuffin is. But unfortunately, we don't know where to find the other two, and even if we did...would we really WANT to fight the Dragonlord right now? After all, we could barely even handle one Green Dragon, and that guy is actually the weakest of all the dragons in the game! How could we defeat him now?

Well, we cannot, so before we find the other two items, we're going to focus on getting some better gear first. And that's going to involve some rather dangerous trips to the south end of Alefgard, so before you do anything else...

SAVE! Definitely SAVE, your game! Trust me, you're going to want to do this! Because once we've done that...

Overworld Theme

We're going to be making this extremely long, very dangerous journey to Cantlin, the last remaining town, so that we can buy the strongest shield in the game. And if we lose half our Gold while trying to get there...yikes.

So anyways, the first leg of the journey isn't too eventful. Just get to about this point here...

And then you can just use a Fairy Water to skip all of the encounters up until the "Deserted Town of Haukesness". In fact, if you really wanted to, you could even use a Fairy Water immediately upon exiting Tantegel, then use a 2nd Fairy Water on the way to Tantegel...

However, I want to avoid getting more than one stock of Fairy Waters if I can (since that wastes time and Gold), so that's why I wait till I'm at the above point. So, just keep walking till you get to around here...

And then hold on to your haunches, because here is where things get tricky...

Yeah, see all these guys? Well pretty much every single one of them can kick your sorry rear...

So once again, Dragon Warrior stops playing like an RPG, and becomes more like a survival-horror, complete with a continent full of Pyramid-Heads. But, we do have our slight advantages as far as the Orange square enemies go...

First of all, this guy here has been cursed with the same brain fungus as what the Wolflords had, and will waste 50% of his turns casting Stopspell on you.

Secondly, there's this guy...

Who's vulnerable to sleep! Good thing too, because he can put US to sleep as well!

And then this little squirt here is the fabled Metal Slime! Dude has no Attack power, no spells besides Hurt, and his HP is only 4. But to make up for that, his Defense is so insanely high, that half the time, you won't even do any damage to him. And even when you DO damage, you'll only knock off 1 HP, unless you get a critical hit. Worst of all though...

These guys have a very nasty tendency to run away before you can kill them. And even if you do manage it...

You only get about 115 Exp. out of the deal. And that may sound good at first...but remember, unlike all future Dragon Warrior games, you only have one character to work with here, and the Metal Slime has a 25% chance of running away with each turn that passes. And if you're only doing 1 Damage per two Rounds...those aren't exactly good odds. So if you try to hunt Metal Slimes at any time before you reach 135 Attack power (something we'll NEVER reach in this playthrough), you'll end up losing time rather than gaining time.

Plus, our main focus is on Cantlin right now, so, moving on from this sucker...

We now have the StarWyvern, and at this point, there's nothing more we can do but pray. We had our way of dealing with the MagiWyvern, and the Knights and Metal Slimes weren't too bad either...

But this guy is just a complete nut-buster.

And yeah, I manage to get away, but look how close he came to killing me! Now THAT is the power you face when you go to southern Tantegel, so you could very well die on this trip (though it'd only cost a few minutes)!

So basically, always keep your HP at 63 or above, and make sure you hug the mountains as you cross the thin stretch of land between the Haukesness Desert Region and the Cantlin region. That way, you'll spend slightly less of your time in the really dangerous enemy zones.

Alright then, when you start getting close to the town, you'd best heal up, because on the square directly above the town, we have yet another invisible boss here! Who is it?

Why, we get a Golem right in our face! So THAT'S what those NPCs were talking about last update! So how hard is this guy gonna...

...:stare:......

F-Fairy Flute!! Hurry, HURRY!!!

Fairy Flute

There we go...yeah, remember the previous episodes, where various NPC's were telling us that the Fairy Flute totally owns Golem? Well, this is what they meant. Every time you use it, you are guaranteed to put Golem to sleep. Sadly though, Golem can still potentially wake up the turn after you put him to sleep...

So yeah, we absolute NEED to get the heck out of dodge right now :stare:.

Ok, so let's heal up to max, get some kickin' boss music up in here, and let's go!!

Alright then, no ambush this time, so we get to draw first blood!

30 Damage done! Now what will Golem do?

Ooo, owch! Golem is none too happy with us right now! So let's put him to sleep...

And see if we can't get ourselves back up to full HP before continuing.

Alright, excellent! The Golem is still asleep!

But not for long!

Owch! Down our HP goes again!

Again the process is repeated...

And wow...this looks really, really bad. I mean, 45 Damage is literally the maximum amount of damage he can do, so the game seems to REALLY have it out for us at this point. So...what to do?

Well, one thing to know about monsters in this game. With the exception of the final boss, they all vary in the amount of HP they start with. So this Golem here CAN spawn with up to 70 HP, or he can have as little as 53 HP. And since we already did 57 points of Damage to him, he's ALSO on his last legs.

So can we destroy him?!?

NOOOO!!! NO WE CANNOT!!

But wait, we get another turn! AWESOME!! So, this guy may have started with either 69 or 70 HP, but now...

He is nothing but scrap! Awesome!! Shame about that Exp. and Gold though :sigh: ...

But man, that was some serious bad luck we saw there. The guy is supposed to do around 25-45 Damage, and yet he spent the entire fight swinging for the fences. Plus, he kept waking up after just 1-2 turns, AND he spawned with basically MAX HP. And he even has the audacity to ambush me on top of that! So I don't know what I did to make the RNG mad at me, but...holy cow :stare:.

Village Theme

Enough about that though, let's see what Cantlin has for us.

Ooo, what is that I spy? The Silver Shield, the strongest shield in the game despite not having Erdrick in it's name!

It's pretty costly, but if you've been doing the Gold Glitch, and if you've been following my advice, you should have just barely enough to buy it! Otherwise though, if you're playing the game without glitches, you'd have to wait until about Level 14 or so before you have enough money. Which is inconvenient, but, not too big of a deal.

One other thing that's pretty neat, you get to sell your Large Shield for 400 G, so even once you've gotten your Silver Shield, you can still get plenty of other things while you're here!

Like two Magic Keys, because unfortunately, I only got 4 of them last update :sigh:...

And then of course, a trip to the Inn...

And then some more Herbs! So that's everything we need from here...But, can we perhaps get some useful information from the guys in this village? Let's see...

Welcome to Cantlin, the castle town.

It is said that many have held Erdrick’s armor. The last to have it was a fellow named Wynn.

Wynn...you mean, Max Wynn? No, that's another translation readers...but hey, Erdrick's Armor! Anymore details we can get?

My Grandfather Wynn once had a shop on the east side of Hauksness.

Grandfather used to say that his friend, Wynn, had buried something of great value at the foot of a tree behind his shop.

So alright, now we know where to get Erdrick's Armor, the strongest piece of armor in the game! Anything else?

’Tis said that Erdrick’s sword could cleave steel.

Oh ok, so we can get Erdrick's Sword as well...no clues on where it is though.

To learn how proof may be obtained that thy ancestor was the great Erdrick, see a man in this very town.

Or in other words, the old man surrounded by those blue and white striped tiles at the bottom (which does a whopping 15 HP of damage per tile)!!

Let us wish the warrior well! May the light be thy strength! Thou may go and search. From Tantegel Castle travel 70 leagues to the south and 40 to the east.

Huh, so all those guys asking for proof of my lineage...apparently that was all actually relevant, and not just random flavor text? Who'da thunk it? Anyways, "70 leagues (squares) south and 40 east" is a little hard to track when we have such a huge world map, and have so many powerful monsters trying to kill us. But fortunately, the beginning player will have an out in the form of...

Gwaelin's Love! Use this baby...

Gwaelin (through use of the ‘Gwaelin’s Love’ item): Heed my voice, Hero, for this is Gwaelin. To reach the next level thou must raise thy Experience Points by <number>. My hope is with thee. From where thou art now, my castle lies.. 59 to the north and.. 30 to the east. I love thee, Hero.

And you'll have a rather helpful compass to help guide you through. However, the "proof" is always in the same place each time you start a new game, so that's not really needed for someone like me. So, anything else?

I’m Nester. Hey, where am I? No, don’t tell me!

Nope...just more flavor text.

What shall I get for thy dinner?

’Tis said that the Dragonlord hath claws that can cleave iron and fiery breath that can melt stone. Dost thou still wish to go on? (Yes/No)

(if you say ‘No’): That is good. No one will say thou art afraid.

(if you say ‘Yes’): Thou art truly brave.

I know nothing.

Whoa, yet another translation change here! Originally, she said "Let's exchange my 'Portopia' for your 'Dragon Quest.'" And the joke here is that this refers to a game released previously called "The Portopia Serial Murder Case", a story that Yuji Horii ALSO wrote, in addition to this one.

So, the problem with trying to translate that joke over to here is that Dragon Quest was the first Yuji Horii game to ever make it into the U.S., so as far as we were concerned, there was no previous Yuji Horii game to make the joke make sense in America. And while you could have just had her say "Let me trade my Super Mario Bros. for your Dragon Warrior"...I don't really mind this being written out. It wouldn't have been the same anyways.

Come buy my radishes! They are fresh and cheap. Buy thy radishes today!

This on the other hand IS an accurate translation. The dialogue really is that random :cheeky: !

Overworld Theme

So then, let's get that item!

Fortunately, the walk isn't as long as it was from Tantegel to Cantlin.

However, the game makes up for this by forcing us to encounter much stronger enemies than before. Fortunately though, we already bought the Silver Shield, so losing a teensy bit of Gold is no longer any big deal to us.

Anyways, once you get to this swamp here, be very careful to keep your HP at 63+ HP or so...

It may seem like a waste of MP to use Heal so often, but, again, the enemies can take off a lot of HP if you get unlucky.

Fortunately though, that ends up being a non-issue. And since we still have 8 MP...

We now get a free ride back to Tantegel!

Now then, with that done, all that's left is Erdrick's Armor. So get that old man to restore your MP, and BE SURE YOU SAVE! Because this next part...hoo boy.

Firstly, use Return to warp out of the castle (saves time over walking)

Then use a Fairy Water right at this spot. Do it right, and the Fairy Water effect should run out right when you enter the Town...of Haukesness...

Cave Theme 4

Yes, the ruined town of Haukesness...clearly this place has seen better days :sigh:. So then, the good news is, Erdrick's Armor is just on the other side of town, not too far from where we are.

The BAD news, is that we have a really tough boss fight to go through now, the toughest one in the game actually! So, let's throw on some appropriate boss music...

And let's. Bring. It. On...

First of all, this here is the Axe Knight, and he's got Sleep! So we need to land Stopspell right away!

Awesome! We got it right away! Now if we hadn't done that, we would have had to run away and re-heal, because...

Yeah, look at that Damage! And this time, we can't rely on the Fairy Flute to help us, nor is he vulnerable to the Sleep spell.

Plus, his Defense is so high, that we ourselves have trouble just doing double digit damage. And he's got a hefty 53-70 HP to supplement that, just like the Golem did.

"So what the heck?!' You may be asking yourselves. 'How in the world are you gonna kill him before he kills you?!"

Well, if he keeps on pounding away at me like he is here, then I'm not going to kill him. Even if I use Herbs, I can't heal myself faster than he can damage me, so if I get unlucky, he's going to rip out my heart, swallow it whole, and then wear my skin the same way you would wear your Sunday shirt around the house...

Buuut, it's also possible that he will do this!

Yeah, see that? I already sealed his magic away by using Stopspell, and yet, he still has a 25% chance of casting Sleep anyways!

So basically, we're banking this whole fight on the assumption that the Axe Knight will waste enough turns for us to kill him before he kills us.

Not exactly as reliable as one would hope for...

But it still works about 56% of the time, and each death costs you only 2 minutes, so...what are you going to do?

In fact, that's really what makes this fight so hard. The Dragonlord is technically stronger, however, his dungeon is long enough that we can justify leveling up enough that we can usually beat him, whereas with the Axe Knight, well, it only takes 2 minutes to get to him from Tantegel, and Erdrick's Armor is insanely helpful for grinding, as you will see later on.

So, all we can do is gird up our loins, and hope for the best...

Ok, so there goes all our Herbs, so now it's time to go ALL IN :black101: !

Come on!

Come on!!

YES!! We did it, we did it, we did it, whooo :dance: !! And we even get some actual Exp. and Gold out of the deal! But most importantly...

We get Erdrick's Armor! Unfortunately, the game automatically dumps your Full Plate Armor when you find Erdrick's Armor, but who cares when you've got THIS?!

Yeah, HP Regen for the wiiin :keke: ! Yes, this baby heals 1 HP per step! Not only that, but it makes you immune to all Swamp and Barrier tiles. But best of all, on top of ALL of that, it reduces all Hurt spells, Hurtmore spells, AND flame breath attacks by 1/3!! So needless to say, Erdrick's armor is quite possibly the most helpful piece of equipment you can get in the entire game!

So back to Tantegel we go! Though, as long as we're talking about Erdrick's Armor, there is one other thing to point out. Back in Rimuldar, we could have gotten some other armor, called the "Magic Armor". It has some of the qualities of Erdrick's Armor, like HP Regen and 1/3 reduction of the Hurt spells...however, it costs 7600G, and it only restores 1 HP for every four steps you take, rather than for literally every step.

Plus, it doesn't resist flame breath the way Erdrick's Armor does, nor does it grant you immunity to Swamps and Barriers, so despite all it's bells and whistles, the Full Plate Armor was still the way to go for Rimuldar grinding. So, that all being said...

We take a quick trip to Garinham instead, refill on Herbs, and enter...Garin's Grave!

Cave Theme 1

Yes, Garin's Grave, wherein we acquire the Silver Harp by using the Radiance spell to increase our field of vision! Now normally, in a glitch-less run, you'd come here at around Level 11, right after you get enough money for some Magic Keys and a Large Shield, and then death warp on out of the dungeon. But since we have all of the best defensive gear in the game AND HP Regeneration...

Getting there is a pretty simple affair. In fact, even in a glitch-less run, it's pretty straightforward, though you'll have to watch out for the Wraith Knight. That guy is strong enough that he will absolutely stomp you if you choose to fight, so definitely run from him.

Anyways...

Back to Tantegel we go!

Castle Theme

And now, by using another Magic Key, we can get to some stairs on the southeast corner of Tantegel...

And procure the Stones of Sunlight from this old man! Might as well include his dialogue for completeness...

(Before Taking Stones): I have been waiting long for one such as thee. Take the Treasure Chest.

And then he tells you to take a hike.

(After Taking Stones): Thou hast no business here. Go away.

:keke:, well, off we go then! Let's go get our 2nd MacGuffin!

Yes, come to these stairs out in the middle of nowhere (no, the game does not give you any hints as to where they are), and we will find...

An old man! But, he has something to say before he just hands the Rain Staff to you.

(Before Getting Silver Harp): Thy bravery must be proven. Thus, I propose a test. There is a Silver Harp that beckons to the creatures of the Dragonlord. Bring this to me and I will reward thee with the Staff of Rain.

So there we go, that's why we made that pit stop for the Silver Harp. It wasn't a MacGuffin, but now that we have it...

(After Getting Silver Harp): Thou hast brought the harp. Good. I have been waiting long for one such as thee. Take the Treasure Chest.

And...then he just...

Disappears...or something. Well, not really, because if you exit, then re-enter, he reappears, and you get some more dialogue...

(After Getting Rain Staff): Thou hast no business here. Go away.

Man, why are these old men so grumpy? Is it because they'll always cooped up in their hideouts? Oh well, at least this guy can justify it by having to live in a place that's surrounded by monsters. Also, he spends his life underground, so that can't help at all. So then, time for the last MacGuffin. And if you'll recall, two people in Rimuldar did give us a hint to this one...

When the sun and rain meet, a Rainbow Bridge shall appear. It’s a legend.

This is a magic place. Hast thou found a magic temple? It is south of here. In this temple do the sun and rain meet.

So, head south from Rimuldar...

And talk to the guardian of the last MacGuffin! Now THIS guy is a complete jerk! You talk to him without Erdrick's Proof...

In thy task thou hast failed. Alas, I fear thou art not the one Erdrick predicted would save us.

Ok, is there anyone in this game who acts like a decent human being?! I mean, we have King Tantegel, who steals half your Gold when you die. We have his daughter Gwaelin, who forced me to marry her, and spends her days spying on me. And then we have that Puff-Puff prostitute, we have that xenophobic woman at Garinham, we have those trollish guards (also at Garinham), we have these three old farts, we have those two guys demanding us to show them "proof" that we're Erdrick's kid...heck, then there's also the Cantlin townsfolk, who built a fricken GOLEM that almost mauled me to death!!

What, what am I...WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOAAARRRR-

(If You Have Erdrick's Token w/o Two MacGuffins) When the sun and rain meet, a Rainbow Bridge shall appear. Thou may go and search

Oh, right...the dialogue :blush:...

Well, this is...kind of helpful...ish? I guess it's good to know that we probably want to find something related to rain, but, it's still kind of vague. But whatever, we have both items, so let's just get what we came here for.

(If You Have Erdrick's Token w/ Two MacGuffins) Now the sun and rain shall meet and the Rainbow Drop passes to thy keeping.

Hurray, we now have what we need to get to the Dragonlord's castle! Any further advice or encouragement you want to give me?

(If You Have Rainbow Drop) Thou hast no business here. Go away.

No, of course not. Silly me, expecting something more from you guys :reject:. Sigh...well, let's just be on our way, shall we? So just head to the spot located here...

Use the Rainbow Drop...

Rainbow Drop

And a bridge to Charlock Castle appears! Not quite as fancy as the one in Ocarina of Time, but we take what we can get. "But Fionordequester!' you might ask. 'Why in the world are we going to Charlock? You just said that we're no match for the Dragonlord! That we can't beat him until Level 19! So what are you doing?!".

Well, it's true that we can't do anything about the Dragonlord quite yet...but we can get something really good here, something that will save us a LOT of time when grinding to Level 19. And now that we have Erdrick's Armor, we are JUST strong enough to get it so long as luck is on our side. So what is this thing we will be getting? How many floors will we have to traverse? And CAN we survive the treacherous climb down into the Dragonlord's lair? Find out, NEXT TIME, on Let's Play Dragon Warrior! This is Fionordequester, signing out. Have a nice day, and God bless you all! so

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 12, 2015

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I remember my big scheme playing this was usually to get enough gold for the Flame Sword, grab the Flute, beeline for Cantlin running away from everything, take out the Golem, get the Flame Sword and go to town on the rest of the game.

...in hindsight that was a really dumb plan and playing it normally probably would have been easier than trying to make the trip to Cantlin at low levels, but hey, I thought I was clever.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Glad to see this is back. :) I'm amazed at the different ways you're getting from place to place and knowing exactly how many steps you have, etc. You clearly know a lot about the game and it shows.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

DeathChicken posted:

I remember my big scheme playing this was usually to get enough gold for the Flame Sword, grab the Flute, beeline for Cantlin running away from everything, take out the Golem, get the Flame Sword and go to town on the rest of the game.

...in hindsight that was a really dumb plan and playing it normally probably would have been easier than trying to make the trip to Cantlin at low levels, but hey, I thought I was clever.

That's kinda half the fun of DQ1. What stupid rear end thing are you going to do that'll TOTALLY pay off in the end? You decide!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

DeathChicken posted:

I used to take two trips to Cantlin, first after I got enough money for the Flame Sword and then again for the Silver Shield. Thought it was such a pain in the rear end but my pre-teen mind was just like, "Oh well that's how you play the game!" :downs:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Fionordequester posted:

then there's also the Cantlin townsfolk, who built a fricken GOLEM that almost mauled me to death!!

I always thought that Golem was for their protection--the monsters are so powerful they destroyed the nearest town, after all. And then you destroyed their best line of defense.

What a Hero!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I'd wonder how *they're* possibly getting out past the Golem without benefit of the Flute, but it's not like there are any other towns within a gajillion miles of them. Welll, besides the one full of monsters and a murderous Axe Knight.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
There's also a Let's Play of Portopia going on right now - it's been worth reading, I think.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

Eh, I don't think it's too bad, at least not if you weren't aware that you'd get a better sword at Charlock. I mean, Strength tends to be more important for RPGs than Defense anyways, so, if I were doing this game blind, there's a good chance I'd buy a Flame Sword over a Platinum Shield.

IllegallySober posted:

Glad to see this is back. :) I'm amazed at the different ways you're getting from place to place and knowing exactly how many steps you have, etc. You clearly know a lot about the game and it shows.

Why thank you! A lot of the exacts were figured out by Ryan8Bit, but, I HAVE definitely played a lot!

Bregor posted:

I used to take two trips to Cantlin, first after I got enough money for the Flame Sword and then again for the Silver Shield. Thought it was such a pain in the rear end but my pre-teen mind was just like, "Oh well that's how you play the game!" :downs:

Hey, to be fair, that's what the Explorer's Handbook recommends as well. I mean, not so directly, but they do describe the Flame Sword as "worth the price", so, what can you do?

BenRGamer posted:

I always thought that Golem was for their protection--the monsters are so powerful they destroyed the nearest town, after all. And then you destroyed their best line of defense.

What a Hero!

Yeah, that's the official reason for why the Golem was there according to Dragon Warrior 3...but, I decided to ignore that for the sake of comedy :keke: .

DeathChicken posted:

I'd wonder how *they're* possibly getting out past the Golem without benefit of the Flute, but it's not like there are any other towns within a gajillion miles of them. Well, besides the one full of monsters and a murderous Axe Knight.

Hmm...well, presumably, the Golem would be made to not attack any of the natives (lest it demolish the whole place), and most likely, it would also be made to walk along with them whenever they needed to go out for water supplies or something...

Or maybe it's just Nintendo Logic at play again. One of those two.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 13, 2015

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's real impressive how much thought you can put in this game.

I know when I played the remake version my process was basically "wander until random encounters become too tough, retreat, repeat."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I always used to cheese the axe knight by repeated sleep attempts, just like the dragon guarding gwen. He's not super vulnerable to it but you can end up getting it to stick and beating him to death with it - getting that armor is super valuable for exp grinding early. Alternatively i'd farm the gold golem area to afford decent armor.

• Locked thread