Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
How much HP does that armor give you between encounters, anyway? 10-12?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Axe Knight is a stubborn enemy. I would hate to have fought it again.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Just so everyone knows, I have not abandoned this LP. My mind just wandered to other things, like getting my Associates, and also other video games, like Fire Emblem (my other favorite series besides Dragon Quest). But, for this next LP, I plan on doing something special, in video format in fact! So yes, this video will be the very first time I've ever recorded a video since that FF7 LP attempt 2 years!

So then, that's where I'm at now. Have a nice day everyone!

itsameta4
Sep 29, 2013
rated 5 plz continue

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Literally the only piece of unused content in DQ1:

A different looking castle tile. I guess Charlock and Tantagel were meant to look different.

Wow.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Man, DW1. My first NES RPG. . Got it as part of that Nintendo Power promo.

Took me a good while to beat it, even with the NP guide. But I loved it. I never played any other DW games, now I wonder if I should.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Skip the second.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Skip the second.

Nonsense! It's a one-of-a-kind experience.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

Skip the second.

I loved the first DW so much,that I bought DW2 the week it was released. I had to pay $100 (in 1980s bucks no less) for it. I was never able to even come close to beating it.

It still holds a special place in my heart though.

gently caress Bran/Lars though

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Meaty Ore posted:

Nonsense! It's a one-of-a-kind experience.
It would have made a great sandbox game, only there was one place to advance the plot and you had to find it with obscure hints if any at all.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Scalding Coffee posted:

It would have made a great sandbox game, only there was one place to advance the plot and you had to find it with obscure hints if any at all.

In other words, Final Fantasy 1 but with fixed character classes.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
The second is okay with a guide, until you hit the endgame - specifically the Road to Rhone. Who wants to face an encounter every 2-4 steps against incredibly fast enemies that have an instant-death spell in a game with only minimal options to resurrect party members? I hope it's you, otherwise don't do it.
3 was super fun, 4 is a classic, 5 is great, 6 is wonderful, 7 is spectacular but requires a lot of time and effort (usually 1-2 hours of gameplay before you get into your first fight, but just has so much to do), 8 is quite good (see OFS's LP for that), and 9 is fun, even if they went a bit overboard with the puns.

So, in short - you can probably give 2 a miss. If you do give it a try, use either the SNES or GBC remake, since they lightened the difficulty a bit.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

MaskedHuzzah posted:

The second is okay with a guide, until you hit the endgame - specifically the Road to Rhone. Who wants to face an encounter every 2-4 steps against incredibly fast enemies that have an instant-death spell in a game with only minimal options to resurrect party members? I hope it's you, otherwise don't do it.
3 was super fun, 4 is a classic, 5 is great, 6 is wonderful, 7 is spectacular but requires a lot of time and effort (usually 1-2 hours of gameplay before you get into your first fight, but just has so much to do), 8 is quite good (see OFS's LP for that), and 9 is fun, even if they went a bit overboard with the puns.

So, in short - you can probably give 2 a miss. If you do give it a try, use either the SNES or GBC remake, since they lightened the difficulty a bit.

Me personally, I actually really liked Dragon Warrior II in the same way that I liked The 7th Saga. I liked having a game that worked me over a bit, but, unlike 7th Saga, I felt like Dragon Warrior II was a lot more balanced in it's difficulty (i.e., a lot of the REALLY nasty stuff, like the Sacrifice enemies, don't come until later in the game). In fact, if you had enough foreknowledge of where everything was, you could actually remove a lot of it's difficulty until you got to Rhone, so while it's hard, it gives you a lot of tools to work with. So I found it to be a very interesting thought exercise in terms of the best way to go through it as quickly as possible...

Really, it's problem, if anything, is that it's unrefined enough that it seems lacking compared to the later games...but it's also refined enough that it doesn't have the novelty value that Dragon Warrior 1 has. Kind of like how there are really fantastic cartoons (Avatar: The Last Airbender), cartoons that are so poorly made/ridiculous that they become entertaining anyway (certain episodes of Captain Planet)...and then cartoons that are just kind of in that awkward middle ground between those two extremes (Highlander: The Animated Series). Like, they're not bad enough to be entertaining, but they're not good enough to actually be memorable, you know what I mean?

So in that way, Dragon Warrior 1 is a really terrible RPG if you look at it purely from a quality standpoint...and yet, it's so archaic, so experimental, such a classic, and such an item of nostalgia, that you really can't judge it with the normal standards you would normally use. If you're playing it, you're playing it for novelty. You're not going to go into it with any illusions or expectations that it's going to be like any RPG.

But with Dragon Warrior 2, it's technically better...but because it plays like a regular RPG, it loses that novelty value that Dragon Warrior 1 has, so it's flaws become a lot harder to ignore.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 21, 2015

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Neither DQ2 or 7th Saga knows what balance is supposed to be unless you count El Nard. DQ2 was plain terrible if the RNG hates you. 7th Saga is a glorious clusterfuck of artificial difficulty changes that can still be managed by your choice of characters, but DQ2 is the definition of Nintendo hard. Take the balance of the first game where enemies are balanced against one character, then naturally, you add more characters of questionable use and make the enemies even stronger. The characters gain stats very slowly and they are horrible in combat. Items are almost nonexistent outside of healing, so your casters fire off a couple spells and become meat shields. Enemies that appear in groups and cast group spells caused dozens of game overs on the first turn. I almost ran from as many battles in that game as I did 7th Saga, which was almost every encounter where I didn't have most of the runes.

Rhone was just a manageable festering wound after going through the entire game. I know it was the worst thing ever besides putting on cursed gear that made every step an encounter or bringing Zell to the red light, green light dungeon. I either take five turns to kill one enemy with way too much HP or those Blizzards. Just keep on running and reset when two characters die. It numbed my emotions. I only looked up the guide to see where I had to go and then looked up all the guides for each DQ game after that.

If I could equip both my casters with a no damage, little chance of instant kill weapon, they would be much better for it. Do not play the NES version.

Christ is King!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Running in 7th Saga is a trap. You *think* you can get away with running from every scary monster that's going to eat you (and you can at first), but it'll catch up when you get to the bosses who start beating you to death in two hits.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Neither DQ2 or 7th Saga knows what balance is supposed to be unless you count El Nard. DQ2 was plain terrible if the RNG hates you. 7th Saga is a glorious clusterfuck of artificial difficulty changes that can still be managed by your choice of characters, but DQ2 is the definition of Nintendo hard. Take the balance of the first game where enemies are balanced against one character, then naturally, you add more characters of questionable use and make the enemies even stronger. The characters gain stats very slowly and they are horrible in combat. Items are almost nonexistent outside of healing, so your casters fire off a couple spells and become meat shields. Enemies that appear in groups and cast group spells caused dozens of game overs on the first turn. I almost ran from as many battles in that game as I did 7th Saga, which was almost every encounter where I didn't have most of the runes.

Rhone was just a manageable festering wound after going through the entire game. I know it was the worst thing ever besides putting on cursed gear that made every step an encounter or bringing Zell to the red light, green light dungeon. I either take five turns to kill one enemy with way too much HP or those Blizzards. Just keep on running and reset when two characters die. It numbed my emotions. I only looked up the guide to see where I had to go and then looked up all the guides for each DQ game after that.

If I could equip both my casters with a no damage, little chance of instant kill weapon, they would be much better for it. Do not play the NES version.

Wow, I never had that much of a problem with DQ2 even when playing it as a child and definitely not when I LPed it a couple of years ago. Only a couple of first turn game-overs the entire time, and most of those in the last areas. Either I was ungodly lucky with the RNG everytime I played, or I'd been conditioned by the rules of old school JRPGs well enough that it kept me going pretty well. It's pretty much a matter of never running from a fight unless you're sure you're going to die and making sure that every time you reach a new town you grind until you can buy every single equipment upgrade they sell. I didn't even find the magic users that bad... the hybrid character had healing spells, Stopspell, and Outside while the pure magic character got healing and attack magic, and pretty early on had enough MP to cast her first attack spell more than a dozen times.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DeathChicken posted:

Running in 7th Saga is a trap. You *think* you can get away with running from every scary monster that's going to eat you (and you can at first), but it'll catch up when you get to the bosses who start beating you to death in two hits.

No, running in 7th Saga is a trap until you reach L32. Then Valsu will have learned the skill that heals you to full HP/MP no matter what and the game just becomes an unlosable battle of attrition.

And if you aren't playing as Valsu then you're already dead-set on suffering while playing 7th Saga.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I grinded about 40 of my levels on brains.

ddegenha posted:

Wow, I never had that much of a problem with DQ2 even when playing it as a child and definitely not when I LPed it a couple of years ago. Only a couple of first turn game-overs the entire time, and most of those in the last areas. Either I was ungodly lucky with the RNG everytime I played, or I'd been conditioned by the rules of old school JRPGs well enough that it kept me going pretty well. It's pretty much a matter of never running from a fight unless you're sure you're going to die and making sure that every time you reach a new town you grind until you can buy every single equipment upgrade they sell. I didn't even find the magic users that bad... the hybrid character had healing spells, Stopspell, and Outside while the pure magic character got healing and attack magic, and pretty early on had enough MP to cast her first attack spell more than a dozen times.
Don't tell me the level gains are randomized? I can only continually cast spells long enough with monsters eating up my health, that running became important. There were times where I gain one point for a couple straight levels.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 22, 2015

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
If it's like later DQ games, essentially the game has a "normal" figure for what your stats should be at a given level, and will rig the RNG for stats to approach that figure as much as possible.

That said I wouldn't be surprised if DQII doesn't have that feature and is the reason WHY it was implemented in later games. I don't really know.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

No, running in 7th Saga is a trap until you reach L32. Then Valsu will have learned the skill that heals you to full HP/MP no matter what and the game just becomes an unlosable battle of attrition.

Actually...that's not really the case. I actually did an LP of The 7th Saga just as I am doing in this game (the Something Awful LP wasn't archived before getting locked, but you can check the forums called the "Lets Play Forums" to see it in it's entirety). And actually, running is the best way to deal with the endgame at least. Basically, get someone to Level 29 on S. Brains, then recruit anyone other than Valsu, Esuna, or even Olvan (though Olvan CAN work with some luck), and they'll get enough in the way of Elnard boosts to last you until the Final Boss as long as you kill all the easy enemies along the way.

That said though, you'd have to be pretty knowledgeable about the game to pull that off. Still definitely the best way to deal with endgame though.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Don't tell me the level gains are randomized? I can only continually cast spells long enough with monsters eating up my health, that running became important. There were times where I gain one point for a couple straight levels.

No, the stat gains in Dragon Quest II are entirely fixed, unfortunately. And for that matter, so are the stat gains in the SNES version of Dragon Quest VI, while the stat gains in Dragon Quest III are entirely random, and the stat gains in the DS version of Dragon Quest VI are slightly randomized. Dunno about any of the games between those.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Scalding Coffee posted:

I grinded about 40 of my levels on brains.

Hmm... not so much randomized, I think, but there are sections where you'll get rapid gains and then slow periods. Usually you get rapid gains before getting new spells, but not always. The third character gets up to around 50 or so, then 75, but the main attack spell at that time only costs 4 MP. The most expensive offensive spell in the game costs 8 mp, and by the time you get it you've got about 100.

SnowFire
Nov 12, 2010
Throw Dragon Warrior II into a fire, then set the fire on fire. Those are my thoughts.

Fionordequester posted:

while the stat gains in Dragon Quest III are entirely random, and the stat gains in the DS version of Dragon Quest VI are slightly randomized. Dunno about any of the games between those.

DQ3 is a bit trickier and weirder than entirely random. There's a FAQ added on GameFAQs which goes into the algorithms in gory detail; similar to what CmdrKing said, DQ3 has an idea of what your stats "should" be each level, and then rigs the gains to be very weak (0-1 or so?) if you're above them. If you're below them, you get very random stat growth (like 1-10 points of growth), which is why the rigging system is needed; continuous good level-ups would make a character godlike.

They also probably implemented this system to deal with class-changing, so if you change classes you get horrible stat growth as you build back through the early levels since your character appears to be over-stat'd for 'em. There's various unintuitive traps you can get into and a few outright bugs (Goof-offs switching to Sage get permanently gimped MP! Various expected stats overflow and thus end up way smaller than they should be! Intelligence is worthless! Stat Seeds are usually worthless!), but eh, it's an old NES game, I'm willing to cut it some slack.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
DQ3 was such a relief. I never expected an NES RPG to be that fun. Your characters are now balanced around multiple monsters and can be flexible. I didn't have a problem with encounters at all until that final big reveal, where monsters got too beefy for their worth. They can even make a town that I wish could be built up and done more often. Other games just let them build up your base and become background objects.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
You know, I'm kinda surprised I took this long to read this thread. I'm enjoying the deconstructive nature of it. I play RPGs very slowly, but over the last couple years I've been trying to play the Dragon Warrior/Quest games in order just because I can. I recently started IV on the DS and it's very true what people say about that being really the point where the series got less grind-mandatory. I played the GBC versions of 2 and 3 so I guess I was spared some cruelty there.

With part one however I used an emulator this time around (I had the game as a kid but really didn't understand grinding at the time very well) and this emulator featured a rewind button, leading me to find an interesting quirk to the programming, that while not rare, still seemed neat to me. DW is an RPG where the battle frequency is only half random. Every time you exit a town, dungeon, or even a different battle, at that point the RNG decides how many steps you will take until the next battle, and it becomes set in stone. No matter what zone you walk into, as long as you stay in the overworld for that many steps, you're hitting a fight on square X. Most of the other battle factors are determined on the fly, but how many steps until your next battle is set right away, and is unavoidable. I've seen this in other games too, but not many where I've had the chance to test it myself such as here.

The n00b Avenger
Dec 21, 2014
How well you do in DQ2's Cave to Rhone is basically based on how many times you have the pleasure of running into a group of 4 dragons.

They have a breath attack that hits all party members for 20-30 damage so if a lot of them decide to use it in a single round you basically have to take it up the rear end and die. They also tend to use it a lot and have high attack power too. Of course the dungeon itself is a pain in the rear end with those pitfalls and poo poo too.

Fun fact. Dragon Quest 2 had to be released before the play testers made it to the end of the game which is why it gets more ridiculous near the end.

The n00b Avenger fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 23, 2015

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Alright guys, it's time for a special bonus episode, starring...a straw poll!

http://strawpoll.me/3978571

Yes, it is that time now! We have all heard what's been said about the remake compared to the original. We all know how the remake is supposedly faster, has radically buffed EXP. and Gold, and is just all around faster to play! But, here's the question. Just how MUCH easier is it, really? Is it truly so different from the NES version as to warrant it's reputation?

In this episode, we will find out exactly that. And we shall do it by comparing the following tasks, side by side...

1) Getting from Level 13 to Level 19 in the NES version, with all of the best equipment in the game.

2) Beating the entire SNES remake, without any glitches (like the re-spawning Green Dragon Glitch).

And what's more, we will actually be doing this in video format, with both the NES and SNES footage being compared side-by-side (Both of which I am almost done recording)! And of course, this will include commentary! So yes, this will be the very first time I will have ever picked up a mic since that ill-fated FF7 LP I tried to post on here!

So then, which one of these has turned out to be faster for me? Does the end-game in the NES version have even the slightest hint of good pacing? Is it truly as tedious as some gamers say? Is the SNES version really THAT much easier? Does it really have that balance that the NES version only wishes it had? Or, have all these claims been exaggerated? And...will my commentary be any better than it was before? Or shall I be forced to go into exile by my fellow goons yet again?!

Find out, on the next exciting episode, of Dragon Quest 1! God bless you all, and BE THERE!!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 28, 2015

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
gently caress having to grind scrubs for an hour because a palette swap appears. I didn't feel like using a guide until it was too late.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The NES one was just too poorly paced. Not even the nostalgia goggles saves it. I can beat the remakes in a couple of hours I think, haven't done it in a while. It turns level grinding into not an issue and you can just breeze through the poor story. Even the metal slimes are more of a hassle to fight than a quick way to get a chunk of xp from. Not getting a level from a metal slime before you hit level 10 is just wrong.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm at the end of DW2 now. I died to the final boss a couple of times, and walking back to him is such a drat slog, I don't know if I'll ever finish it.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Ambitious Spider posted:

I'm at the end of DW2 now. I died to the final boss a couple of times, and walking back to him is such a drat slog, I don't know if I'll ever finish it.

Which version are you playing? I have some tips if you wish (in fact, I plan on LPing that one after this one ends).

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I never played the SNES one so I'll abstain and just watch closely.

In my (very) slow travels through the series, I finally started 4 last week, and for some reason the bug to play has really been itching me lately so I've made a lot of fast strides and am a little ways through chapter 5 already. This game is really where the grinding lessens up and the pace quickens clearly. I spent SO long grinding in 3, and I didn't even change character classes. I can't even imagine if you wanted sages in your party how long it would take.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Choco1980 posted:

I never played the SNES one so I'll abstain and just watch closely.

In my (very) slow travels through the series, I finally started 4 last week, and for some reason the bug to play has really been itching me lately so I've made a lot of fast strides and am a little ways through chapter 5 already. This game is really where the grinding lessens up and the pace quickens clearly. I spent SO long grinding in 3, and I didn't even change character classes. I can't even imagine if you wanted sages in your party how long it would take.

Not as long as you think. Even though Sages have the highest exp requirements for levels, they're powerful enough to make up for it. Also, the exp curve of the game is designed around letting you change classes and catch up quickly. This is one of the many, many reasons why people still talk about DQ3 being one of the best in the series.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I voted SNES just because I've not seen that version before but seen more than enough of the NES version (and played some myself) that I think I get the gist of it and would rather see 16 bit graphics and hear "better" music :v:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fionordequester posted:

Which version are you playing? I have some tips if you wish (in fact, I plan on LPing that one after this one ends).

GBC

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Alright everyone, the new episode is finally here! Here you go!

Dragon Quest 1 SNES vs. NES

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

Fionordequester posted:

Alright everyone, the new episode is finally here! Here you go!

Dragon Quest 1 SNES vs. NES
:catstare:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Seems like the SNES version won handily.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Are you sure that's the right video?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Check the date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

ultrafilter posted:

Check the date.

According to my time zone, he appeared to have posted that 17 minutes before April Fool's Day. :colbert:

• Locked thread