Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
The two things that would make this an instant goty for me would be an survival gamemode(where enemies keep spawning), and online multiplayer(I know this one will probably not happen, but they should ask the dude who did the netcode for risk of rain to lend a hand maybe? They both use the same gamemaker version so there's bound to be some overlap)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Nuclear Throne is a survival gamemode. :eng101:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there some penalty for turning off screenshake? It mentions it in the death screen.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

In a similar vein: Is there any meaning to the "try not opening weapon chests" loading screen tip? Is there some bonus if you skip them, or is it sarcastic?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I clicked this thread randomly and then bought his game. Holy poo poo it's good!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

In a similar vein: Is there any meaning to the "try not opening weapon chests" loading screen tip? Is there some bonus if you skip them, or is it sarcastic?

Try it! It gives you a chance to find a BIG weapon chest on a following floor, usually the next floor but not always. Big chests have three weapons!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

do updates usually reset progress?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Awesome! posted:

do updates usually reset progress?

Unfortunately yes. Fortunately, every character except Horror can be unlocked with almost zero effort and doesn't take more than a run or two.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Hotfixes do not however, if you're stressed about losing golden weapons, don't be, none of them are really worth keeping past like 4-1 at the latest (with the possible exception of the golden laser pistol.)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i dont even know what a golden weapon is i just started the game and saw the characters werent unlocked anymore. but yea at least they're all easy other than horror and i didnt even have him unlocked anyway

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Geight posted:

Try it! It gives you a chance to find a BIG weapon chest on a following floor, usually the next floor but not always. Big chests have three weapons!

And if you keep skipping, a big weapon chest is guaranteed if it still hasn't spawned by, I think the 3rd chest skipped? The reason why you'd want to do this is because weapons spawned later on are better than earlier ones. I only really do this for the first few levels though, where your starting pistol is mostly enough to carry you.

Have yet to even see a golden weapon either (outside of YV's of course). Furthest I've made it is the 2nd last stage as robot and chicken, so I suppose if I persevere, I too can eventually look forward to getting smeared by a bigass throne! :woop:

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
This game is ridiculously awesome and addicting. I'm almost sorry I bought it.

I can consistently get to Level 5 now, even though it's still possible get a bad 3_3. My upper limit is 7_1 now.

The new daily run today was going so well. I happened to get Long Arms and Laser Brain and then an Energy Sword plus Heavy Crossbow as Y.V. Then the 5_3 boss killed me as I tried to hit him with the Energy Sword.

I think that happened to me twice today, so yeah shoot him instead.

The mutations post was really good. I do have to say though that Racing Mind is awesome with melee weapons though. And the crossbows, of course.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I really wish it told you what killed you on the death screen. Sometimes I'm not sure what happened.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Holy poo poo I love Rebel so much. He (she?) owns bones.

I'm able to fairly consistently get to the Scrapyard now, but then I'll get killed by one of the enormous explosions, or I'll be out of ammo for everything and the path forward is blocked by a car and I have to blow it up with my melee weapon, which kills me instantly.

If I can have my way I like to roll with the crossbow or another bolt weapon as a secondary because holy poo poo those gently caress things up, and I'll use an automatic as my other weapon. Throne Butt gets picked asap, as does Rhino Skin so I can pop out clones without as much hesitation. Boiling Veins seems like it's something you should always take, too.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Sdoots posted:

Holy poo poo I love Rebel so much. He (she?) owns bones.

I'm able to fairly consistently get to the Scrapyard now, but then I'll get killed by one of the enormous explosions, or I'll be out of ammo for everything and the path forward is blocked by a car and I have to blow it up with my melee weapon, which kills me instantly.

If I can have my way I like to roll with the crossbow or another bolt weapon as a secondary because holy poo poo those gently caress things up, and I'll use an automatic as my other weapon. Throne Butt gets picked asap, as does Rhino Skin so I can pop out clones without as much hesitation. Boiling Veins seems like it's something you should always take, too.

Rebel is a lady and yes, Boiling Veins is very good if you keep being killed by cars.

Strong Spirit is a really handy mutation, especially if you're A Bad, like me. I get the feeling that if I'm ever Not Bad then I'll stop taking it.

Hammerhead seems like one of the more situational mutations but it definitely came in handy when dodging bullets. It's utility seems tied pretty closely to the layout of the level, that's for sure.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Holy moly the upgrade that lets Chicken attack normally while in slowdown is insanely broken, unless it's not worth it on higher levels. You can deflect/destroy projectiles with the chicken sword before they're even close to being a problem

e: Oh apparently that's the objectively good character specific upgrade

oddium fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 5, 2015

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Protip: you can walk through cars, but shooting them is more fun!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

oddium posted:

Holy moly the upgrade that lets Chicken attack normally while in slowdown is insanely broken, unless it's not worth it on higher levels. You can deflect/destroy projectiles with the chicken sword before they're even close to being a problem

e: Oh apparently that's the objectively good character specific upgrade

Throne Butt is always a good choice, though some characters get more out of it than others.

I like the Yung Venuz Butt. Goddamn can you get a lot of burst damage with it

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Is there any chance that this will go on sale sometime soon? Ive been on the fence for a while now.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The other day I randomed an orange thing that had Crystal's right click power. Does random not just pick a random character or did I trip into an old version of the character or something?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Some characters have different skins at random; that's Crystal's.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

FrickenMoron posted:

Is there any chance that this will go on sale sometime soon? Ive been on the fence for a while now.

Probably not, the devs have said that they're going to leave it full price until it leaves early access. You could probably find someone that still has their free copy from buying before new years though.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

FrickenMoron posted:

It won't go on sale until it's out of early access. It will probably take some time for it to properly release.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

This game is super worth it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Okay, I had a pal who owed me some money so I got the game for free basically. Any reason this is stuck at 30 fps?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's made in Game Maker and if you don't lock the framerate with Game Maker games (other Vlambeer games, Hotline Miami, Gunpoint etc) some really weird poo poo happens. I dunno why 30 though, I never even noticed.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

FrickenMoron posted:

Okay, I had a pal who owed me some money so I got the game for free basically. Any reason this is stuck at 30 fps?

One of the devs actually mentioned it on a stream with Slowbeef. IIRC moving it to 60fps would gently caress up how fast the game plays, though they might add a joke option for it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Er, how do you unlock Horror? I thought it was from reaching the Palace but I guess not.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

RatHat posted:

Er, how do you unlock Horror? I thought it was from reaching the Palace but I guess not.

Get your Risk of Rain hat on, folks.

Skip a green container, then on the next level skip a big one. The next level, he'll break out of one of the green containers. Kill him.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

RatHat posted:

Leave a radiation canister unbroken for a level, then there should be a large radiation canister next level which you need to leave unbroken too. After that, Horror should spawn, and if you kill him he unlocks.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Huh. I knew of that method I just thought it was an alternate way.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

So strong spirit definitely changes everything for Melting, it makes the ultra mutation where you trade half your health for 3 extra mutations pretty usable-

I ended up dying to a scorpion venom double hit from offscreen

I would say it also makes bloodlust almost core on melting. I'm not that big on hammer head though, I'd say it's better than some of the bottom rung mutations, but if it had some secondary effect (maybe a weapon effect?) it could be good. I guess I feel that way about a lot of the "bad" mutations, like if gamma guts reduced or negated contact damage for the player, or if lucky shot had an effect to randomly make shots not cost ammo (like steroids old throne butt).

In any case my new goal is to get to melting's ultra mutation without taking rhino skin to see if you can end up with 11 mutations and 5 health.

e: Also for unlocking horror, if you're having a hard time actually fighting him, try and make him show up in the sewers, then blow up the manhole cover with a grenade, it will kill everything on the level (except croc men sometimes).

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 5, 2015

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I got this from a kindly goon in Goon Squad (thanks if you're reading this!!) and goddamn it's rad as hell and the music is great and the graphics are charming as hell. A++ would get one-hit killed again

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Quite a daily for me today-

I became aware of a mechanic I had not been previously, bosses seem to gain significantly more health each loop, I easily did 4k damage to the 5th throne there, I just ran out of ammo and radiation.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Okay for the first time in awhile I actually looped and I got to try out Robot's Ultra Mutation B - The text says it gives you a chance to "burp" guns and also consumes any weapons left on the level. The latter part works just fine, the former part is totally broken. If the "burp" occurs it just seems to spawn a different weapon out of thin air, but sometimes it will also create a clone of that weapon and overwrite whatever other gun you were carrying with that. This led to me having an energy sword in both slots, and Robot was wielding it like a gun instead of a sword.

captainhowdy
Jan 3, 2014

Now kindly undo these straps.
Awesome game and I was really pleasantly surprised they handed out free copies to owners who bought it before the new year..
Very nice move.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
For some reason bolt weapons have never clicked with me. Maybe it's because I never pick up bolt marrow, but they seem to feel worse than the alternatives in any given tier. Guess I should try some crossbow/splinter runs.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

Arzachel posted:

For some reason bolt weapons have never clicked with me. Maybe it's because I never pick up bolt marrow, but they seem to feel worse than the alternatives in any given tier. Guess I should try some crossbow/splinter runs.

They're honestly a staple of my loadout if I can find one. Crossbow or Splinter, and an automatic, and I'm set. Automatic rips up the small stuff, and the bolt weapons one shot most big guys, and make sort work of most bosses. I can always swap them out for an explosive and pick them back up when the ammo runs out, too. I have yet to use Bolt Marrow.

Of course, I've also never made it past the scrapyards...

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Running with a laser/lightning weapon and an auto crossbow is what I end up doing in a lot of loop runs, simply because you can't accidentally kill yourself on shielders, might be less important now with strong spirit, but bolt weapons are still quite good, if you can get bolt marrow and racing mind the heavy crossbow is viable through loops (though it's quite bad for fighting the throne).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think Robot is my favourite character now. Tons of ammo, lots of health regen, better guns, and he looks rad. The only downside is sometimes I accidentally hit right mouse button and eat my current weapon.
Y.V. and Steroid are also really good. Fish and Eye are just terrible.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 6, 2015

• Locked thread