Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I'm so glad I paid <$500 each for both of the ones I had instead of what they're currently going for.

Makes me sad I got rid of mine for nothing, and that the prices have now climbed past what I'd be willing to pay for another one now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Fo3 posted:

Doesn't every series 1 and 2 rx7 over there come with a 12A? They did here.
12As were in rx2,3,4 (AP series), rx7 series 1,2, half of the series 3
13bs were in rx4, rx5, rx7 some series 3, and all series 4 onwards

Discounting the renesis/rx8, more 12as were sold than 13bs as I think as rx2s,rx3s, s1-3 rx7s were more popular in their day and probably outsold later model rx4, rx5 and s4 onwards rx7s (FD rx7 due to the cost of one alone).
The 13b is newer, and the 12a turbo is terrible so if wanting turbo you would have to go 13b, but that just means a lot of people would have ripped out good 12as for 13b transplants, so there must be heaps of second hand ones around.

Every time an American mentions 12As they think the same. As long as mazda sell seal kits and there's early/12A rx7s wrecking/cheap, getting it rebuilt or replaced is not hard, 12as should be common. Plus not hard to replace with a 13b for a huge extra 10HP, it's only a few cm longer (that's all the difference between 12A and 13B is), often all you need to do is flip the front engine cross member around or change it, or modify it at worst (and considering this is in a toyota, it's already a custom one), and new exhaust headers.

Any rotary-powered Mazda aside from the RX-7 is rarer than poo poo in the states. I've never seen one of them in person, and I have seen/been in a (also incredibly rare here) 2+2 FC. Nobody really bought RX-2s, 3s, 4s, or REPUs here. Which makes me sad as I think RX-3s and RX-4s were some of the best looking cars ever made.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Another option for graphics/badging you could do after a respray is to get the rear "Twin Cam 16 Valve" badges off of a 1988 Chevy Nova Twincam. Was a special one year model of the 1980s Nova (a.k.a. AE82 Corolla sedan) that came only in black with a strut brace, suspension mode, and a 4AGE with a 5 speed manual. I had a few parts from one in my AE86 and I have a couple of the rear badges from some that were in the yards here, I think they'd look good on the hatch of an 86:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

leica posted:

Those novas are rarer than hens teeth, I know because I owned the jdm version (sprinter) in japan. When I came back stateside I kept my eyes out for years and have never seen one for sale since. Think ive seen one in the wild maybe twice, and have never seen one in a yard so good luck with that. I imagine a very small number of them were produced.

Yes, and only produced for one year - 1988. Which makes it pretty amazing I've found not one, but two of them in the same yard mere months apart.

I might dig around in the garage and see if I can find the pair of rear badges I got from them, and I still have a bunch of ignition system and other engine bits I pulled from the Nova Twincams as spares for my AE86 and AW11.

I should probably see if any goons need any of my spare bits; I think I've got a working AE86 gauge cluster and ECU and a spare set of 4AG valve covers and a bunch of other poo poo boxed up somewhere, and the chances of me buying another 4AG powered car are fairly slim now, as I'm not willing to pay the prices people are asking for them anymore.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Actually, even better would be putting an SPST switch on the 12v + input wire for the ECU relay. I had an intermittently failing ECU relay on mine for months and it took forever to diagnose the issue, as it would crank and crank but never catch despite having an obviously working fuel pump and spark.

I'd be driving down the freeway and the engine would just... stop running. Then after trying repeatedly to crank it on the side of the road, it would suddenly catch and start working again just fine. There's no telltales what was causing it since the fuel pump still primes and all the gauges and electrics work fine, it just won't start or run at all, since the ECU won't be on to fire the injectors, since it's such a primitive EFI system that's the only job the ECU really has.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

TheLarson posted:

Unfortunately my only functional set of wheels/tires are the shiny ones. The stock wheels for the car have very dead tires that struggle to hold air for more than a day at a time.

You should grab a set of cheap P-type supra wheels and throw on some cheap Falkens for everyday driving and put something sticky on the wheels you currently have on there for track days or canyon runs. I picked up some P-types for mine for about $35 each, they're usually pretty cheap from scrappers.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Psst... they're making Sakura clones now:
http://passwordjdm.com/Axis-OG-Sakura-Wheels-15x8-4x100-35-P6955C2106.aspx

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

TheLarson posted:

Anyone who's tried to buy an ae86 recently has lamented the state of the market (with Initial D squarely in the crosshairs).

This is the biggest regret I have with giving away both of mine; I'm never going to be able to get another one for anything close to a sane price, and I get sad because every once in a while I still wish I had one to play around with. :smith:

I love how cleaned up yours is getting and it's nice to see one getting taken care of properly though. :unsmith:

though the maroon interior is awful, blue paint with a blue interior is where it's at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Fo3 posted:

E: I have to add though, that's because 4.11 gears weren't a big deal for them. Not sure what the ae86 gearing is

On a Proper GT-S like TheLarson's, it's 4.3:1, on the carbed SR5 faux AE86s it's 4.11:1, IIRC. Freeway speed at about 70mph is about 3500-3800 RPM in 5th gear.

• Locked thread