Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I'm waiting for more!
I remember the 86 tofu thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Doesn't every series 1 and 2 rx7 over there come with a 12A? They did here.
12As were in rx2,3,4 (AP series), rx7 series 1,2, half of the series 3
13bs were in rx4, rx5, rx7 some series 3, and all series 4 onwards

Discounting the renesis/rx8, more 12as were sold than 13bs as I think as rx2s,rx3s, s1-3 rx7s were more popular in their day and probably outsold later model rx4, rx5 and s4 onwards rx7s (FD rx7 due to the cost of one alone).
The 13b is newer, and the 12a turbo is terrible so if wanting turbo you would have to go 13b, but that just means a lot of people would have ripped out good 12as for 13b transplants, so there must be heaps of second hand ones around.

E: the holley carb makes me shake my head though, and the triangular 'ram-flo' foam filter - I had one of those filters on a stock carb in 1992, even tried the little oval ram-flos on 40mm weber IDFs, terrible.

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I mean don't get me wrong. The car is in fantastic shape. But when that 12A breaks, it's going to be literally an arm and a leg to fix it.
Every time an American mentions 12As they think the same. As long as mazda sell seal kits and there's early/12A rx7s wrecking/cheap, getting it rebuilt or replaced is not hard, 12as should be common. Plus not hard to replace with a 13b for a huge extra 10HP, it's only a few cm longer (that's all the difference between 12A and 13B is), often all you need to do is flip the front engine cross member around or change it, or modify it at worst (and considering this is in a toyota, it's already a custom one), and new exhaust headers.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 24, 2014

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

You Am I posted:

A good thing to do is get a Hilux rear axle and get it shortened for the AE86. Can take a fuckload of power as well as being a relatively cheap upgrade

Yeah, in the 1990s, a lot of people did this in Australia for Mazda RX3s and RX4s.

E: I have to add though, that's because 4.11 gears weren't a big deal for them. Not sure what the ae86 gearing is, or what gears are available for a hilux.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 2, 2015

• Locked thread