Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

TheLarson posted:

Technically the engine in this car would have been a slight upgrade for my car. It's a small port "red top" 4AGE. If I ever attempt to rebuild a 4AGE, I'd pick up one of these to start with.

Not all "Red Tops" are smallports, that looks like a largeport motor.

The intake manifold is a dead giveaway, the smallport manifold is ribbed along the top and does not have the TVIS system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

mafoose posted:

Is there anything like that for the 4a? All I have found so far is the ribs on the exhaust side between silver and black top 20v, but nothing about 16v or 20v differences. I'm trying to do this without pulling off the valve cover, which has been modified to show off the timing belt.

I don't want to end up with a 20v head slapped on an old 16v block either.

The 20v uses a different oil pump, but the best way too check is the block casting.

16v pump:

20v pump:

16v Engine block:

20v Engine block (note the curve in the top left):

As for the transmission, there should be a ID/VIN plate on it. Here are the numbers for the 6 speed:

quote:

30300-1A260 TRANSAXLE ASSY, MANUAL 01.04.1997-01.08.2000 AE111..BZR
30300-1A250 TRANSAXLE ASSY, MANUAL 01.04.1997-01.08.2000 AE111..BZG

the 1A260 has the fairly rare (and possibly valuable) factory helical LSD.

• Locked thread